PDA

View Full Version : LA County - firearms law question

Flying Sig
09-28-2011, 11:10 AM
IIRC, with a few exceptions as outlined in the county ordinances, the discharge of firearms is generally illegal in LA county, correct?

I know of several spots on public land that is basically archery only because of this ordinance due to the close proximity of buildings. With that said, would it be legal to hunt with this....?

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pcp/BPE3571LE

Here is LA county's definition of a "firearm":

13.67.040 Definitions.

B. Firearm. “Firearm” includes all devices described in California Penal Code Section 12001, including, but not limited to, any gun, pistol, revolver, rifle or any device, designed or modified to be used as a weapon, from which is expelled through a barrel a projectile by the force of an explosion or other form of combustion. “Firearm” does not include any instrument as referred to in Government Code Section 53071.5.

Am I missing something? Thoughts??

edgerly779
09-28-2011, 11:23 AM
I hunt quail in la county with shotgun and deer with rifles. pellet guns are legal for all small game and non game except big game. You cannot hunt rabbits in la county with rimfire or centerfire weapons.

Flying Sig
09-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Ok, let me re-word the question. Would it be legal to hunt with that air rifle in an area where the discharge of a "firearm" is prohibited due to the proximity of structures or otherwise? As far as I can tell, an air rifle does not meet the definition of a "firearm"

Jason P
09-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Sounds like a test case, beware overzealous officer who won't make that distinction while putting on the cuffs!

ojisan
09-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Ok, let me re-word the question. Would it be legal to hunt with that air rifle in an area where the discharge of a "firearm" is prohibited due to the proximity of structures or otherwise? As far as I can tell, an air rifle does not meet the definition of a "firearm"

Here is where you have to be careful as some local city or county ordnances may classify firearms and air guns together and ban discharge of all.
You have to look it up by specific location to know for sure.

billybob_jcv
09-28-2011, 6:37 PM
Ventura city has a separate ordinance specifically calling out spring and pneumatic driven guns.