PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Auto vs Pump for home defense

toymonger
02-04-2007, 6:36 PM
Any words of wisdom?

Aluisious
02-04-2007, 6:44 PM
If you get a pump, you have to learn to operate it well, or you'll jam it in a crisis.

A semi auto has softer recoil, but recoil with the managed loads isn't bad, even for 00 buck.

Teletiger7
02-04-2007, 6:45 PM
This thread sounds weirdly familiar to one that was just on here a couple weeks ago. Me i like pumps because my 870s have been totally reliable.

Socal858
02-04-2007, 6:46 PM
try both. see what feels better for you. i couldnt afford a semi right off the bat so i have my pump benelli supernova with ghost rings. not that i feel under armed in the least.

GeneralBacardi
02-05-2007, 1:13 PM
depends on how many invaders you expect

James R.
02-05-2007, 1:40 PM
If you get a pump, you have to learn to operate it well, or you'll jam it in a crisis.

A semi auto has softer recoil, but recoil with the managed loads isn't bad, even for 00 buck.

While it's true you could short stroke a pump (this will happen becuase you don't practice with your gun IMHO) you can also have FTF or FTE caused by not shouldering a semi-auto properly. Semi-auto shotguns can become kinda shady with respect to ejection and the like esp if you do something silly like trying to get a shot off from the hip or in a pistol gripped side firing type stance.

Either is fine so long as you practice with it. IMHO for HD the pump is an excellent choice and will chamber and feed reliably pretty much whatever you throw at it.

Regards,

James R.

-hanko
02-05-2007, 1:56 PM
Any words of wisdom?
Use the Search button:D ...

No right answer, either will do what you need. Get whichever you're more comfortable with.

Far more important is a LOT of practice, regularly. That includes anyone who might need to use the shotgun.

-hanko

50 Freak
02-05-2007, 2:04 PM
Buy an Benelli M3, and have both....that's what I did.

CalNRA
02-05-2007, 4:24 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=40802

Socal858
02-05-2007, 7:11 PM
depends on how many invaders you expect

if youre expecting THAT many invaders you dont just need a gun, you need to move

Nismo
02-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Unless he's talking about zombies.

Bob Hostetter
02-06-2007, 6:20 AM
For self defense a pump shotgun is usually preferrable.

maxicon
02-06-2007, 7:58 AM
A defense-configured pump is generally cheaper than a defense-configured semi, and there are more options available.

Either is reliable if you've put enough rounds of your preferred defense ammo through it to work out any issues.

A pump is dependent on your working the action correctly, and if you're in a physically tight spot or your weak arm hits something during pumping, you can have a shortstroke. Pumps can only be worked 2 handed, barring Hollywood techniques.

A semi-auto is point-and-shoot, and can be fired one-handed if something's wrong with your other hand, though there's an increased risk of jams there. There's a potential reliability difference in such a situation between inertia- and gas-operated models, so it takes a bit of research.

If cost is a factor, it's hard to beat a pump.

For simplicity, it's hard to beat a semi.

Either way, you need to practice regularly and put hundreds of rounds of your chosen defense load through the gun to make sure it's going to work well and your muscle memory is dialed in.

Nismo
02-06-2007, 10:43 AM
How fast can you clear a jam on a semi with one arm?

Aluisious
02-06-2007, 10:50 AM
FWIW if/when I buy another shotgun, it'll be a Rem 1100.

new cal shooter
02-06-2007, 3:03 PM
Just the pump alone works, try it at the Big 5, Close your eyes, Rack the action, see if you recognize that sound, all you need to know!

maxicon
02-06-2007, 3:36 PM
How fast can you clear a jam on a semi with one arm?

How fast can you clear a jam on a pump with one arm? The two are roughly equivalent in this situation.

If there's no jam, the pump can't be fired at all one-handed (beyond the one in the chamber), and the semi-auto can. Is this important or not? That's a personal decision.

This is standard risk assessment. It's not that one is necessarily better than the other, but that people need to think through the possibilities, figure out what's important to them, and decide accordingly.

Any situation that applies to one should be applied to the other as well and analyzed, then tested. Looking at the differences realistically is critical to the success of the process.

Aluisious
02-06-2007, 3:40 PM
Just the pump alone works, try it at the Big 5, Close your eyes, Rack the action, see if you recognize that sound, all you need to know!
I'll rely on the sound of buckshot rattling around their thorax to scare the baddies.

FWIW, the LAPD SWAT guys use pump shotties for non lethal projectiles only. I read that they figured the rate of fire was insufficient for CQB in the situations they are in (raiding).

1911su16b870
02-06-2007, 4:20 PM
My old CHP 870 eats everything I feed it. Regardless of pump/semiauto, you need to practice feeding it while sending rounds downrange. You should be able to grab shells and automatically insert them into the feed tube or open receiver as required.

raygun5000
02-06-2007, 6:27 PM
Never had a problem with my pump 870. :)

smle-man
02-06-2007, 6:31 PM
I'm very happy with my Remington 1187 'police' model semi auto shotgun. It functions with 2 3/4 1 oz target loads #8 and 00 buck completely reliabily. I fired it from the hip, held it sideways with the ejection port up and down, functioned fine. Just in case I have to fire it while hanging upside down I held it upside down and fired the shotgun. Worked just fine. I've owned all sorts of pumps and swore that a s.a. gun wasn't reliable enough for defensive work but I've changed my mind. This one is a great gun.

45R
02-06-2007, 9:35 PM
Semi with a pistol to back me up.

1911su16b870
02-07-2007, 5:40 PM
A defense-configured pump is generally cheaper than a defense-configured semi, and there are more options available.

Either is reliable if you've put enough rounds of your preferred defense ammo through it to work out any issues.

A pump is dependent on your working the action correctly, and if you're in a physically tight spot or your weak arm hits something during pumping, you can have a shortstroke. Pumps can only be worked 2 handed...

...Either way, you need to practice regularly and put hundreds of rounds of your chosen defense load through the gun to make sure it's going to work well and your muscle memory is dialed in.

FWIW the best thing you can do after getting your scattergun is to attend a class that teaches you how to handle it, yes even one handed. Edmundo Mireles needed and did that in '86.