PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 SPS Tactical

PJClark93
09-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Hey there I'm new to forums but have a serious question about my rifle. What seems to be a reliable scope for my Remington 700 SPS Tact but also for the right price.

Droppin Deuces
09-28-2011, 11:41 AM
What's the right price? Also, you might want to take a look in the optics forum. Lots of good info there...

PanaDP
09-28-2011, 11:48 AM
I have a millett TRS-1 on mine and it shoots brilliantly for the price everything cost. It feels good, more quality than you might expect for that price. All the clicks and knobs feel solid. It tracks well and returns to zero.

PJClark93
09-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Right price is 400MAX. Thats optic/mount, I'm looking for like a 3x9x40 or better for the rifle.

RugerNo1
09-28-2011, 11:56 AM
What do you want to do with the rifle? Hunt, target, plink?

jimmykan
09-28-2011, 11:56 AM
You can't hit what you can't see, so it doesn't pay to skimp on optics.

Whatever you spent on just the rifle, try to spend at least a third as much on the scope.

For ~$200, I would recommend this scope:

Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical Rifle Scope 10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=950843)

Also, join the California Precision Rifle Club forum and check out this thread:

Choosing a Rifle - By AR15Barrels (http://www.caprc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35)

Here is the budget configuration that he recommends:

Remington 700 sps varmint
bushnell 321040M 10x This is the above-mentioned scope.
Egw aluminum base
Burris 1" aluminum rings
Harris S-BRM bipod
KMW Pod-Loc
Triad wedge rear bag
TI Quick-Cuff sling
$1,036

PJClark93
09-28-2011, 12:07 PM
I want to hunt and target shoot with it.
@Jimmykan Is there anywhere in the SoCal area where I can get the scope, mount, pod, and extras?

emc002
09-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Super Sniper 10X

PJClark93
09-28-2011, 1:01 PM
Where can I go in the So Cal area to look at the Bushnell 3200 or the SS 10x and buy it?

tacticalcity
09-28-2011, 1:04 PM
Super Sniper 10X

They've gone up in price lately. But I agree a Super Sniper from SWFA is a great scope for the money.

21SF
09-28-2011, 1:05 PM
Right price is 400MAX. Thats optic/mount, I'm looking for like a 3x9x40 or better for the rifle.

OMG, do yourself a favor and look at the Zeiss Conquest line of scopes. Ultra clear glass and great quality with a lifetime transferable warranty.

You could get a zeiss conquest 3-9x40 with z-plex reticle for under 400.

Better glass than most highend scopes IMHO.

21SF
09-28-2011, 1:08 PM
Where can I go in the So Cal area to look at the Bushnell 3200 or the SS 10x and buy it?

They've gone up in price lately. But I agree a Super Sniper from SWFA is a great scope for the money.

IMHO zeiss glass scraps all over either of those scopes!!

I have directly compared zeiss glass to Leupold, Vortex, etc. and its MUCH clearer, like HD.

The Z-plex is also nice and thin , doesn't block your target, much more precise.

In comparison the leupold reticles look like thick bars.

ExtremeX
09-28-2011, 1:22 PM
I have a millett TRS-1 on mine and it shoots brilliantly for the price everything cost. It feels good, more quality than you might expect for that price. All the clicks and knobs feel solid. It tracks well and returns to zero.

+1 for the TRS-1 ... 4-16x50

For the money, I think its a great scope and within your price range.

If you can get something more spendy Vortex Optics is one of my favorite brands. The Viper and Viper PST line is one of my favorites.

If you want to keep it light weight and cost low, dont want clicky turrets, and in the 3-9x40 type scopes, I would urge you to consider the Vortex Diamondback... I spent a lot of time hands on trying to find the best 3-9x40 scope and thats what I ended up buying myself since it had the best optics I could find in that price range.

I use the TRS-1 on a long range target shooting rifle.

Arnelcheeze
09-28-2011, 1:32 PM
http://www.redfield.com/

jimmykan
09-28-2011, 1:59 PM
I want to hunt and target shoot with it.
@Jimmykan Is there anywhere in the SoCal area where I can get the scope, mount, pod, and extras?

I don't know of any local stores, but I got the Bushnell from MidwayUSA.

I think Midway is the exclusive dealer of the version that has 1/10 milliradian adjustments. Most other vendors are selling the one with 1/4 MOA adjustments.

Midway also carries the EGW mount.

EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Base Remington 700 Short Action Matte (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=147376)

Triad Tactical has a lot of the extras.

Harris Bi-pods with Swivel Base (http://www.triadtactical.com/Harris-Bi-pod-6-9-Swivel-Notched-leg.html)

KMW Pod-Loc (http://www.triadtactical.com/Pod-Loc.html)

Triad Tactical Rear Tapered Bag (http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Tapered-Rear-Bag.html)

osis32
09-28-2011, 2:37 PM
The nikon monarch line is another you should consider. I have one and I love it. You can get a mil dot variable in your price range.

21SF
09-28-2011, 2:50 PM
PLEASE go look at Zeiss before you buy crap.

Its night and day, between it and anything below a high end scope like NF,SB,etc.

Nikon, lol.
SS, LOL!
Redfield ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you dont like clear beatiful glass.

AeroEngi
09-28-2011, 2:53 PM
You might wanna check out the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 mm. It has a side paralax adjustment with a mil-dot reticle. It's a great scope. I had it on my Remington 700p until I got a Leupold Mark 4.

Sent from my Droid phone using Tapatalk.

Noah3683
09-28-2011, 2:54 PM
Very clear glass, and a sweet scope for the money. comes with good rings too.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Millett_625_x_56_LRS_1_BK81004_p/bk81004.htm

ZX-10R
09-28-2011, 6:22 PM

LRS-1 from Milliet is a champ. That thing makes me and my friend look like trained shooters. I told him to get that one after a ton of reviews I did on it. He loves it. Great price and great features.

emc002
09-28-2011, 7:59 PM
OMG, do yourself a favor and look at the Zeiss Conquest line of scopes.
Better glass than most highend scopes IMHO.

IMHO zeiss glass scraps all over either of those scopes!

PLEASE go look at Zeiss before you buy crap.

Do you really need three posts that say essentially the same thing Zeiss Fanboi? :facepalm: What color is Zeiss Koolaid? Oh, and by the way, "IMHO" means "In My Humble Opinion", that phrase combined with your posts is fairly amusing.

More to the point, I too have directly compared Zeiss against most of the others at the Area 52 Shoot with 50+ other Calgunners and for lowlight in our test general consensus was only the Swarovski and Nightforce were better than the SS.
But hey consolation prize, Zeiss was 4th!

tast101
09-28-2011, 8:04 PM

I have the same scope on my Tactical SPS. Waiting to shoot it. Midway has it on sale right now for $299.

HK Dave
09-28-2011, 9:12 PM
Sorry... laughing at the SWFA SS HD? Have you actually LOOKED through a SS 5-20x HD? I have a hard time believing someone that looked through it would laugh at it.

I'm pretty sure most honest reviewers found the SWFA 5-20x to be optically on par or superior to Nightforce.

I know I'm plenty happy with mine.

45R
09-28-2011, 9:33 PM

Price has not changed for the SS10x

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P499.aspx

299.99 :)

PanaDP
09-28-2011, 9:35 PM
If hunting is a possibility with this scope, I would steer clear of a fixed 10x.

DirtRacer151
09-28-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm pretty sure most honest reviewers found the SWFA 5-20x to be optically on par or superior to Nightforce.

That's not hard to do.. NF is not known for their glass. They are known for reliability. My PST has glass = my buddies NF so that says a lot about NF glass. My 2-S&Bs blow away all others.

I'm not dogging the SS 5-20. They are great. But they are much more of a sub 1k optic though vs. the $1500 optic they are after the SH buy ended.

21SF
09-29-2011, 6:25 AM
Do you really need three posts that say essentially the same thing Zeiss Fanboi? :facepalm: What color is Zeiss Koolaid? Oh, and by the way, "IMHO" means "In My Humble Opinion", that phrase combined with your posts is fairly amusing.

More to the point, I too have directly compared Zeiss against most of the others at the Area 52 Shoot with 50+ other Calgunners and for lowlight in our test general consensus was only the Swarovski and Nightforce were better than the SS.
But hey consolation prize, Zeiss was 4th!

Oh, ok thanks for the scientific evidence. Swaro and nightforce in the same class regarding optical clarity, now I know you don't know crap. Nightforce is a tank, tho.
P.s. I'm glad I tickled your fancy, IMHO!!!!

Sorry... laughing at the SWFA SS HD? Have you actually LOOKED through a SS 5-20x HD? I have a hard time believing someone that looked through it would laugh at it.

I know I'm plenty happy with mine.

no I have not looked at that perticular scope, only the fixed 10x.

How much was the hd?

What kind of glass japanease, european, or American?

HK Dave
09-29-2011, 10:31 AM
DirtRacer: I've no doubt your S&Bs shine beautifully. ;)

21SF: Which fixed 10x did you look through? The $300 one or the $800 HD version?

I bought the 5-20x HD for $1K. Japanese glass.