PDA

View Full Version : PVS 14-Eotech legality question

allstarauto
09-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Hey guys I know its been tossed around on the forum but want to make sure before I pick up a smoking deal on a pvs 14 gen 3. As far as I know you can NOT have all three features mounted on your rifle like IR light, magnification (scope), and Night vision right? So having a PVS 14 with built in IR and a "non magnification" Eotech I presume is legal right? and would I be able to mount an additional IR light source on the rifle as well since there is no magnification?? Help me out guys, I sometimes think I know the rules but when it comes down to cracking 2K for the pvs unit and only be able to use it as a monocular would suck, hahaha I guess it wouldn't suck but you know what I mean. lol

allstarauto
09-28-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm hoping someone will shed some light on this topic to reinforce my knowledge before I make this purchase.

MrPlink
09-28-2011, 10:42 PM
Maybe ask in the legal forum? Im guessing this pertains to the sniperscope law, but im not familiar with the ins and outs of that one.

Bobula
09-28-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm pretty sure any Night vision (no nv compatible) is a no no under the sniperscope sections of CA law

Omega13device
09-28-2011, 11:35 PM
I'm pretty sure any Night vision (no nv compatible) is a no no under the sniperscope sections of CA law

Did you look at the penal code or are you just guessing?

Based on PC 468 (below), I'd check with a lawyer before using NV and an IR illuminator together. I don't see anything below that prohibits the use of NV by itself.

468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of,
conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a
misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars
($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one
year, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device
or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm
which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and
electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually
determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime.

allstarauto
09-28-2011, 11:58 PM
I read on another thread here on calguns, wish I could find it now. Basically it went thoroughly through each definition and what everyone resolved with experienced calgunners included was you couldn't have a magnified or telescope nightvision using any infared light source. so you basically could have 2 of the 3 options but not all 3, sooooooo.....

magnified scope & Night vision or,
Night vision and IR light source or,
IR light source and magnified scope?? or,

So having an Eotech(non-magnified) with Nightvison under that forums thread seams acceptable? at least until I find a good lawyer to prove my point and the point of that thread. I'm gonna look up and do a search on that thread! lol

h0use
09-29-2011, 6:33 AM
Wow I did not even know about this law! Pretty retarded in my books.
No one needs to know what kind of optics I own...

allstarauto
09-29-2011, 10:22 AM
oooooohhhhhh super sniper scope! yeah there are waaaay to many laws out there!

Omega13device
09-29-2011, 12:52 PM
I read on another thread here on calguns, wish I could find it now. Basically it went thoroughly through each definition and what everyone resolved with experienced calgunners included was you couldn't have a magnified or telescope nightvision using any infared light source. so you basically could have 2 of the 3 options but not all 3, sooooooo.....

magnified scope & Night vision or,
Night vision and IR light source or,
IR light source and magnified scope?? or,

So having an Eotech(non-magnified) with Nightvison under that forums thread seams acceptable? at least until I find a good lawyer to prove my point and the point of that thread. I'm gonna look up and do a search on that thread! lol

Technically the definition of a telescope is something that has magnification so you may be correct, but good luck arguing dictionary definitions with a zealous LEO who "knows" he's right. Proving you're right may involve a little jail time and a sizable legal bill. Whether you want to take that risk is up to you. I'm not giving legal advice.

MrPlink
09-29-2011, 3:22 PM
I doubt there is anything to look at, but if there is case law I would take a look at that.

uscbigdawg
09-29-2011, 8:10 PM
My understanding from a reputable source is that night vision is only "illegal" to be weapons mounted when the rifle's intended use is for hunting. So...if not hunting, game on.

This is one reason we're leaving. Pig hunting in south Georgia with NV mounted and suppressed, DPMS LR-308's is too much fun.

Rich

09-29-2011, 8:29 PM
Wow I did not even know about this law! Pretty retarded in my books.
No one needs to know what kind of optics I own...

Holy crap! I didn't know either! CA really does have a law for everything!!!

Omega13device
09-29-2011, 8:50 PM
My understanding from a reputable source is that night vision is only "illegal" to be weapons mounted when the rifle's intended use is for hunting. So...if not hunting, game on.

Would your reputable source care to cite some penal code to back that assertion?

MrPlink
09-29-2011, 9:20 PM
Pig hunting in south Georgia with NV mounted and suppressed, DPMS LR-308's is too much fun.

very sporting too :p

rogervzv
09-30-2011, 4:24 AM
Technically the definition of a telescope is something that has magnification so you may be correct, but good luck arguing dictionary definitions with a zealous LEO who "knows" he's right. Proving you're right may involve a little jail time and a sizable legal bill. Whether you want to take that risk is up to you. I'm not giving legal advice.

I am not giving legal advice either -- but laws like this essentially put you at the mercy of some judge deciding this (after you have spent a bit of time in the slam, perhaps) and you have to hope that the judge reads the law the same way that you do. Not much fun.