09-28-2011, 10:57 AM
This would be my first optic for a handgun,

S&W .44 mag model 629
6" scope

mainly in order of regularity:

pigs - I hunt a lot
bears - A few times a year
people- (hopefully never)

I guess it would be a "bear gun" due to that being the more dangerous situation of hunting.

dont want a scope, but a red dot???

OpticsPlanet
10-03-2011, 3:10 PM
Take a look at the Aimpoint Micro (http://www.opticsplanet.net/aimpoint-micro-h-1-red-dot-scopes-11910.html). This is an extremely rugged red dot sight that will hold up well to .44 magnum recoil. Do you have some kind of weaver or picatinny base to mount it on?

Chase B.

mwunsch
10-05-2011, 8:17 AM
Take a look at the Aimpoint Micro (http://www.opticsplanet.net/aimpoint-micro-h-1-red-dot-scopes-11910.html). This is an extremely rugged red dot sight that will hold up well to .44 magnum recoil. Do you have some kind of weaver or picatinny base to mount it on?

Chase B.

I do not, I will look at whatever base I need. I was thinking of the Leupold Delta sight.

the gun is brand new and I havent even got it yet, (waiting for the lovely 10 days)

Id have it mounted by someone and whatever base I need, ill get.

thanx for the reply.

Whiterabbit
10-05-2011, 11:24 PM
delta with the 7.5 moa triangle? Let me know how you like it.

If you are in the bay area, I'd buy your range time to put a cylinder through it.

mwunsch
10-11-2011, 8:03 AM
im thinking the 3.5 moa red dot, not the 7moa triangle. should work well, I love all my other leupold optics

Whiterabbit
10-11-2011, 8:57 AM
Let me know if you see ghosting. Even better, take a picture. All the reviews I've ever read complain of that one and only issue (maybe battery too, but that's comparatively minor) or just rave about it. sounds like a potentially great product.

huckberry668
10-11-2011, 2:02 PM
I'd suggest a small dot of no more than 4-MOA for hunting. Large dots are for shooting close targets fast. Small dot is much better when longer range accuracy is needed. The larger dots cover too much of the kill zone I wasn't sure I'd make a kill zone shot. Aim small miss small.

Trust me, with a good sight like Aimpoint and UltraDot (ones I have). you can see a 2-MOA dot easily even in broad day light. Dot shape other than one single perfect circle is just distracting.

mwunsch
10-11-2011, 9:41 PM
Let me know if you see ghosting. Even better, take a picture. All the reviews I've ever read complain of that one and only issue (maybe battery too, but that's comparatively minor) or just rave about it. sounds like a potentially great product.

Ive been reading reviews, and those are the two that Ive seen. I heard to put a new battery in you have to take off the unit, although I dont know if that is common.

id def use the 3.5 dot, as shots would be prob 10-50 yds.

OpticsPlanet
10-12-2011, 12:43 PM
I like the Deltapoint as well, but I am also one of those people that find a triangle distracting.

Similar and half the price is the Burris Fastfire II, Burris claims testing to 1,000 g's. I like bright sights, and although both the Deltapoint and the Fastfire II are self-adjusting, the Deltapoint is brighter.

I wish someone would bring out a sight that you could set your own brightness on, and have it auto-adjust from there.

Mark H.