PDA

View Full Version : Best recoil reducing muzzle brake for Ruger Scout

mlevans66
09-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Ok so I got my Ruger Scout of of jail Saturday and I shot it today. Right out the box accurate up to 200 plus yards. Needless to say I am very happy with my purchase. Now I would like to change the flash hider to a comp. I need a good recoil reducing comp. Any suggestions?

starsnuffer
09-28-2011, 11:13 AM
What will you be using it for? Will you be shooting prone? Are you going to use it at the range? If so, do you care about pissing off your neighbors?

-W

MXRider
09-28-2011, 11:18 AM
I plan on putting a Surefire brake on mine when I get it :)

Droppin Deuces
09-28-2011, 11:32 AM
I think you should put the money you want to spend on a brake towards replacing the RDS you ran over with your car.

mlevans66
09-28-2011, 2:14 PM
What will you be using it for? Will you be shooting prone? Are you going to use it at the range? If so, do you care about pissing off your neighbors?

-W

I want to hunt with it and I was going to do some all around shooting with it. As for my neighbors they'll get over it. :D

I plan on putting a Surefire brake on mine when I get it :)

I was thinking the same but wanted to know other options.

I think you should put the money you want to spend on a brake towards replacing the RDS you ran over with your car.

Don't be a smart ***!:chris:

naimad
09-28-2011, 2:26 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=437140&highlight=ruger+scout

MXRider
09-28-2011, 2:57 PM
Are you going to use it at the range? If so, do you care about pissing off your neighbors?

Why does someone always bring this up when talking about a muzzle brake? If people really complain about noise and/or muzzle blasts at a shooting range then maybe they should choose another hobby.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=437140&highlight=ruger+scout

Thanks for that link.

mlevans66
09-28-2011, 4:02 PM

I saw this thread and I thought about the surefire but has anyone else tried a different brake? That's what I'm trying to see and if so how did they like it.

mlevans66
09-28-2011, 4:11 PM
I'm thinking of going with this one

http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=308&idcategory=51

fmunk
09-28-2011, 10:41 PM
I plan on putting a spike's dynacomp on mine. No point wasting money on a surefire when you can't have supressors.

mlevans66
09-29-2011, 8:06 AM
I plan on putting a spike's dynacomp on mine. No point wasting money on a surefire when you can't have supressors.

I was thinking of going that route to but was not sure of the comp. I have a BC and PWS and a friend of mines got a deal on a Surefire. I used each but the Dynacomp is still new to me. If you get it take pics and post please! :D

Bladewurk
09-29-2011, 9:07 AM
The quality of the Surefire is great and it works good too for a right handed shooter ...Yes I have one

fmunk
09-29-2011, 9:56 AM
I was thinking of going that route to but was not sure of the comp. I have a BC and PWS and a friend of mines got a deal on a Surefire. I used each but the Dynacomp is still new to me. If you get it take pics and post please! :D

There is no reason for the Dynacomp to not work. It is very similar to to the factory comp springfield uses on some of their higher end M1A models. To-date I have yet to see a scientific and quantitative comparison test between different muzzle devices. Everything I've seen are based on subjective opinion. Youtube comparison demonstrations can be misleading. But, all of the commonly known items out there all work as advertised.

Plus, it's a bolt gun, the need for fast follow up shots is a problem that doesn't exist.

mlevans66
09-29-2011, 10:30 AM
There is no reason for the Dynacomp to not work. It is very similar to to the factory comp springfield uses on some of their higher end M1A models. To-date I have yet to see a scientific and quantitative comparison test between different muzzle devices. Everything I've seen are based on subjective opinion. Youtube comparison demonstrations can be misleading. But, all of the commonly known items out there all work as advertised.

Plus, it's a bolt gun, the need for fast follow up shots is a problem that doesn't exist.

Hey! Don't bring logic to a opinion site, sir! :D No you make a lot of sense and that's why I'm not worring myself on getting a comp.

mlevans66
10-03-2011, 6:18 PM

Now I'm looking for recoil reduction.

toby
10-03-2011, 6:26 PM
Why does someone always bring this up when talking about a muzzle brake? If people really complain about noise and/or muzzle blasts at a shooting range then maybe they should choose another hobby.

:facepalm:

mlevans66
10-03-2011, 6:30 PM

I know, I know but we deal with it as we can. :( :o :D

X-NewYawker
10-03-2011, 7:10 PM
As I posted when I got mine, I put the surefire short 7.62 on there and the damn thing kicks like a .223. I am extremely happy with the brake and the potential silencer capability. SF all the way!

mlevans66
10-03-2011, 9:42 PM
As I posted when I got mine, I put the surefire short 7.62 on there and the damn thing kicks like a .223. I am extremely happy with the brake and the potential silencer capability. SF all the way!

I was waiting for you to chim in and I'm thinking of going that route once I get the funds.

nrakid88
10-03-2011, 10:00 PM
I doubt that any break is more effective than the TANK BREAK! I have read that opinion many times, and the design just seems to my eyes to be nearly ideal.

http://www.eabco.com/store/products/JP_Howitzer_Brake_Stainless_Installed-545-89.html

mlevans66
10-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I doubt that any break is more effective than the TANK BREAK! I have read that opinion many times, and the design just seems to my eyes to be nearly ideal.

http://www.eabco.com/store/products/JP_Howitzer_Brake_Stainless_Installed-545-89.html

Yeah I seen that comp but seem like it's a bit much. Plus 6-8 weeks to install!? It's a scout not $3000 AR10.

shellslinger
10-03-2011, 10:26 PM
You can get the new Spike's Dynacomp 308 muzzle brake. It made my 308 Ar feel like a 5.56.

mlevans66
10-04-2011, 8:17 AM
You can get the new Spike's Dynacomp 308 muzzle brake. It made my 308 Ar feel like a 5.56.

Yeah but that's an AR with buffer springs and all that. A bolt action don't have the same make up but the Dynacomp was on my list of look at. Thanks!

MXRider
10-04-2011, 9:07 AM

:confused:

ERdept
10-04-2011, 10:31 AM
I thought it was concluded that the effective comps/muzzle brakes had several large expansion chambers, with each walled off from the other.

So that means, EVERYTHING of this similar design works.

MXRider
10-04-2011, 11:23 AM
So anyone know who carries Surefire brakes and sells them under MSRP?

fmunk
10-04-2011, 8:48 PM
The springfield m1a doesn't have an ar buffer either. I think you are over thinking it. There isn't anything out there that will reduce felt recoil to nil. Get what you like and be done with it. You won't be comparing comps side by side anyway. You won't know what you're missing.

mlevans66
10-04-2011, 9:14 PM
The springfield m1a doesn't have an ar buffer either. I think you are over thinking it. There isn't anything out there that will reduce felt recoil to nil. Get what you like and be done with it. You won't be comparing comps side by side anyway. You won't know what you're missing.

I had a Socom 16 and it kicked like a mule but when I shot one with a different muzzle brake and wood stock the recoil was reduced to half or more. I have shot a couple of bolt action .308 in my short time as gun owner and I know people make thing better all the time. Someone on this thread already mentioned that a Surefire Comp will reduce the recoil to 223 status. Now that's a reduction of recoil! Right now I'm going to go for the Dynacomp and see what it does. If it reduces a quarter of the recoil I'm be happy. If I get my hand on more cash I might get a Surefight but that's the future and the Dynacomp will be here this Friday!

fmunk
10-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Another $80 option: http://www.smithenterprise.com/imagesprod/1005-ss.lg.jpg

nrakid88
10-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah I seen that comp but seem like it's a bit much. Plus 6-8 weeks to install!? It's a scout not $3000 AR10.

I don't know specifically, but i believe that you should be able to install this on your own. The barrel is threaded, and all you should need is a crush washer....

But maybe this break is meant to be timed so there is no need for the crush washer... I am not sure.

Either way, you asked for the best recoil reducer, and this is IT!