PDA

View Full Version : Kinda turned off by my 1911 I own..

mixwell
09-27-2011, 10:35 PM
About 2 years ago I purchased an Armscor used 1911 because I've always loved the design but I've constantly had the problem of shooting low and left with it. I have had multiple people shoot it with the same results and have been a little turned off by it. It does have Novak style sights and I've tried to drift them over to compensate but it seems like my allen wrench doesn't fit quite tight enough to turn the screws.

I've been considering purchasing a well known brand like springfield but I was thinking of taking my 1911 to a gun smith to have it checked because it shoots without any malfunctions but I guess in the back of my mind I'm trying to justify another 1911 purchase. Any good smiths near Los Angeles that anyone can recommend ? I really love my 1911 but the sights being off has really turned me off on wanting to plink with it at the range.. My G22, taurus pt92 and cz sp01 all shoot balls accurate but the only problem is my 1911 and I would like to get her shooting straight.

Thanks in advance.

7.62x54R
09-27-2011, 10:38 PM
send it back to armscor. They will fix it for you they are known for good customer service.

http://dev.rockislandarmory.com/index.php/support/contact-info

chim-chim7
09-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Get the right wrench maybe? Your bummed over a gun because you don't have the wrench to adjust the sights?

slikna99
09-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Get the right wrench maybe? Your bummed over a gun because you don't have the wrench to adjust the sights?

What he said

Martin_B
09-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Are you sure it's the gun and not the shooter? Have you shot the gun from a rest? Low and left is usually a shooter induced problem.

Dhena81
09-27-2011, 11:30 PM

:90:

pacifico23
09-27-2011, 11:55 PM
There's a guy in the Valley. There was a thread about him earlier. I think his name is Jim Hogue. Or Hogue Gunworks. It's in Canoga Park. I guess he is a legendary 1911 smith from what Ive read. Ed Brown, Les Baer and all those guys collect his guns. He does alot of the Hollywood custom pistols and stuff. Check him out. I checked his yelp and online reviews. All were very positive but one ( had a scratche site that was installed). I'm thinking of maybe goin by there and seeing what he can do to my Sig 1911 in a few months.

NiteQwill
09-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Jim Hoag is no longer accepting new work, afaik.

Deucer
09-28-2011, 12:24 AM
I'll give you $100 for it.

railroader
09-28-2011, 5:30 AM
If it shoots low and left that is an easy fix. Call armscor and ask what size of wrench you need so you can adjust the rear sight. Since it is shooting low you just need to file some off the front sight. For filing front sights I use a piece of glass with some emory cloth taped to it. I then turn the gun upside down and "plane" the front sight across the emory cloth. This will file the front sight down so it comes out square and clean. File a little at a time while you shoot until you get it right. Then cold blue. Mark

tacticalcity
09-28-2011, 5:32 AM
I'd be hesitant to blame the gun. Low and to the left is pretty common for right handed shooters. I'd have somebody you know is an expert marksman confirm the issue is the gun, not just your range buddies.

If it is the gun, I would worry about getting the rear sight center mass first then see how low you are. Sometimes the elevation will change as you adjust windage. You can't put metal back onto the front sight. If you're less than an inch low at 25 yards at that point I would not worry about it. Just hold a tad high.

zfields
09-28-2011, 5:38 AM
I'd be hesitant to blame the gun. Low and to the left is pretty common for right handed shooters. I'd have somebody you know is an expert marksman confirm the issue is the gun, not just your range buddies.

If it is the gun, I would worry about getting the rear sight center mass first then see how low you are. Sometimes the elevation will change as you adjust windage. You can't put metal back onto the front sight. If you're less than an inch low at 25 yards at that point I would not worry about it. Just hold a tad high.

+1. Low and left is 99% of the time the shooter.

And cmon man. Buy a set of wrenches.

MrExel17
09-28-2011, 5:39 AM
:iagree:

JanG
09-28-2011, 6:32 AM

i still do that with my 1911s, especially after 2-300 rd sessions. come to think of it, i do that with all my guns when i shoot right hand only, then it's low and right if i shoot left hand only. but it's usually fixed after adjusting my grip and trigger finger.

NoJoke
09-28-2011, 6:43 AM
+1. Low and left is 99% of the time the shooter.

And cmon man. Buy a set of wrenches.

So, how does a set of wrenches fix - low and left? Cuz I'd pay big for that set! :rolleyes::p

I've mostly fixed the low part but still going to the left! :facepalm:

LovingTheYear1911
09-28-2011, 8:25 AM
My buddies s&w mp40 had the same problem until we figured out it was the shooter not the gun. Low and left is very common for right handed shooters.

By the way, my RIA is very very accurate. You just have to get used to it.

Iggy
09-28-2011, 8:37 AM
Try this for a while then go to the range.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/118

MKT
09-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Left - drift rear sight right.

Low - could be ammo, sights might not be regulated for your ammo. IIRC, most 1911's are usually regulated for 230 gr ball ammo.

M. D. Van Norman
09-28-2011, 1:27 PM
Some shooters correct their technique. Some adjust their sights. :whistling:

AeroEngi
09-28-2011, 1:32 PM

Yes he is. I called him yesterday to ask about some problems I've been having with my 1911 and he told me to bring it in so he can take a look at it.

Sent from my Droid phone using Tapatalk.

junkit_boy
09-28-2011, 1:37 PM
I agree, send it back. Or, go to Davis and Bain in San Gabriel. They do great work.
If that doesn't work. I will give you my Ed Brown SF, that will solve everything!

hehe

Bullwinkle
09-28-2011, 1:49 PM
I've constantly had the problem of shooting low and left with it. I have had multiple people shoot it with the same resultsI'm still prone to agree with the other responders and say it's probably shooter error, but the fact that multiple shooters are doing the same thing is compelling. Most of the other guns you mentioned--the ones you are okay with--are DA... maybe you're putting too much finger on the 1911 trigger. Make sure to only use the pad, and pull straight back, as the 1911 trigger doesn't pivot. And don't "death grip" the pistol either; it's a 1911... it's so finicky that if you grip it too tightly it'll malfunction (or so 1911 bashers would have you believe :)).

That said, if you still want to muck with the sights...

It does have Novak style sights and I've tried to drift them over to compensate but it seems like my allen wrench doesn't fit quite tight enough to turn the screws.

It's manufactured in the Phillipines... my guess is that you need a metric set. Anywhere from $2.50 (http://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-sae-hex-key-set-97477.html) to $7.00 (http://www.harborfreight.com/13-piece-metric-ball-end-hex-key-set-96416.html) at Harbor Freight.

Paradiddle
09-28-2011, 2:26 PM

Since when? He's doing a full custom job on a Colt I gave him a couple weeks ago.

Hmmmm....

Hoag is one of the best in the world IMO - one of the pioneers of 1911 and combat shooting and a SUPER nice guy.

greybeard
09-28-2011, 2:42 PM
Not the exactly one I was looking but it is close
http://www.pskm.be/Pistol_Shot_Analysis.pdf

ck66
09-28-2011, 2:50 PM
About 2 years ago I purchased an Armscor used 1911 because I've always loved the design but I've constantly had the problem of shooting low and left with it. I have had multiple people shoot it with the same results and have been a little turned off by it. It does have Novak style sights and I've tried to drift them over to compensate but it seems like my allen wrench doesn't fit quite tight enough to turn the screws.

I've been considering purchasing a well known brand like springfield but I was thinking of taking my 1911 to a gun smith to have it checked because it shoots without any malfunctions but I guess in the back of my mind I'm trying to justify another 1911 purchase. Any good smiths near Los Angeles that anyone can recommend ? I really love my 1911 but the sights being off has really turned me off on wanting to plink with it at the range.. My G22, taurus pt92 and cz sp01 all shoot balls accurate but the only problem is my 1911 and I would like to get her shooting straight.

Thanks in advance.

Any excuse is good enough. :)

AeroEngi
09-28-2011, 3:23 PM
Since when? He's doing a full custom job on a Colt I gave him a couple weeks ago.

Hmmmm....

Hoag is one of the best in the world IMO - one of the pioneers of 1911 and combat shooting and a SUPER nice guy.

This!

From what I've heard and read, he is an excellent 1911 gunsmith. He's the best they can get. Plus, he's a really nice guy. Just talk to him for a few minutes and you feel better about life LOL.

Dhena81
09-28-2011, 3:46 PM
I agree, send it back. Or, go to Davis and Bain in San Gabriel. They do great work.
If that doesn't work. I will give you my Ed Brown SF, that will solve everything!

hehe

Ok I just started having the same problem.

JTROKS
09-28-2011, 4:21 PM

Yup! Get the correct size, metric or standard. Don't even try to turn that screw if you have a wrench that fits loosely because you'll have bigger problems. I've seen a small set that cost $3, better yet get spend about $10 and get a bit set.

hcbr
09-28-2011, 4:59 PM
have someone look it over, see if there needs to be any adjustments, and get over the fear and stigma that your gun is just not working. If they fix it right, your gun should perform right otherwise it's user error!

AeroEngi
09-28-2011, 5:09 PM
Hey, at least be happy your gun is 100% reliable. Reliability issues are the more difficult things to figure out (FTE, FTF, FTRB, etc). Your problem can be fixed with just moving the rear sight over a little bit. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Centurion_D
09-28-2011, 7:15 PM
I had the same issues as you then I swapped out the trigger for a shorter length trigger..now I'm spot on bullseye. The advise came from gunsmith John Harrison of Harrison Design.. http://www.harrisoncustom.com/Home.aspx

Here's from the F.A.Q. section of his website

You should learn to pick a proper trigger length for the size of your hand. It will help you regardless of what type of pistol you shoot. To see if a trigger length fits you correctly, stand in front of a mirror with an unloaded pistol in your firing hand. Assume the correct firing grip and place your trigger finger's first pad across the face of the trigger. Hold the pistol pointed toward the ceiling with your trigger finger about eye level. Look into the mirror and see if your trigger finger is laying flat across the face of the trigger (parallel with the floor) or if it's lying at an angle pointed slightly up or down. Ideally, you want to be able to pull straight back on the trigger without inducing any force toward the side. When the shot breaks, the trigger will continue to move rearwards until it stops. If you are pushing sideways on the trigger, you can easily force the shot off to the side when the trigger movement jerks to a stop. Pick a trigger length that allows your trigger finger to lay flat on the trigger with no tilt. If you have to err in choosing, lean toward too short, rather than too long. Unless you have really large hands, I'd suggest that you try a short.

Try switching to a shorter trigger..you might get better results.

psango
09-28-2011, 7:26 PM
If I don't concentrate on my grip or if I start to get tired I tend to shoot low and left. Like they said it's quite common.

You can buy a whole set of metric or standard allen wrenches for about $10. handy to have around. Even after loosening the screw you may need a sight pusher or a non marring drift and hammer to move the sight.

I use adjustable rear sights on my 1911's mostly to make up for my bad shooting. Much easier to adjust. Also I don't think I find many guns other than my 22's as fun to shoot than my 3 1911's in 9mm. .38 Super and .45 ACP.

tacticalcity
09-29-2011, 1:29 AM
I am sorry to hear you are not enjoying your 1911 as much I am enjoying mine. I had a few glitches at first, caused by a loose extractor (very easy to fix) and then later by my being stubborn and adding an after market extended slide stop that monkey'd up the works. Once I adjusted the tension on the extrator and put the factory slide release back on my 1911 has been utterly amazing. Dead on accuracy. Nice center mass grouping right where I am aiming, rather than off to one direction of the other a hair. It has also been extremely reliable (once I got that damn extended slide stop off it). I'm rapidly becoming a 1911 fanboy.

As for allen keys, I bought a bunch of all in one folding wrech sets, called a money grip I think, off ebay. They have served me well and were dirt cheap.

redcliff
09-29-2011, 6:34 AM
I had the same issues as you then I swapped out the trigger for a shorter length trigger..now I'm spot on bullseye. The advise came from gunsmith John Harrison of Harrison Design.. http://www.harrisoncustom.com/Home.aspx

Here's from the F.A.Q. section of his website

You should learn to pick a proper trigger length for the size of your hand. It will help you regardless of what type of pistol you shoot. To see if a trigger length fits you correctly, stand in front of a mirror with an unloaded pistol in your firing hand. Assume the correct firing grip and place your trigger finger's first pad across the face of the trigger. Hold the pistol pointed toward the ceiling with your trigger finger about eye level. Look into the mirror and see if your trigger finger is laying flat across the face of the trigger (parallel with the floor) or if it's lying at an angle pointed slightly up or down. Ideally, you want to be able to pull straight back on the trigger without inducing any force toward the side. When the shot breaks, the trigger will continue to move rearwards until it stops. If you are pushing sideways on the trigger, you can easily force the shot off to the side when the trigger movement jerks to a stop. Pick a trigger length that allows your trigger finger to lay flat on the trigger with no tilt. If you have to err in choosing, lean toward too short, rather than too long. Unless you have really large hands, I'd suggest that you try a short.

Try switching to a shorter trigger..you might get better results.

Thanks for posting this; I've been advocating short triggers on 1911's for most people with average size hands for a long time and all my "shooters" have them installed. In fact the Harrison short trigger is my favorite but I had never botherred to read his f.a.q.; my selection of the short trigger was based upon 35 years of 1911 shooting and experimenting with different combinations.

I think the biggest reason so many 1911's come with long triggers is "the look" of a skeletonized long trigger; it's sexier than the short trigger. I also like slim grips and flat mainspring housings.

bombadillo
09-29-2011, 7:36 AM
Take those sights out and replace them with Bo-mar target style blade rear sight with adjustable windage and elevation. Thats going to fix any error. Shooting low and left, are you sure you're not giving it too much trigger finger, or anticipating flinch?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=418864
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/418/418864.jpg

You could get something like this only cheaper. A decent adjustable one is 60 bucks from midway from different brands.