PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Holster Dilemma

Bullwinkle
09-27-2011, 7:45 PM
Looking for a pocket holster for a Kahr MK40. Figure my best choices are the DeSantis Nemesis or DeSantis Super Fly. Any opinions one way or the other? I'd prefer something more suitable for a cargo pocket than a regular front slash pocket.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Nemesis, but that's purely because it's on sale and hence $13 cheaper than the Super Fly. I'll gladly pay the extra money if the Super Fly is worth it.

Open to other suggestions, too, but there'd really have to be a compelling reason to dissuade me from the DeSantis duo.

Thanks,

InGrAM
09-27-2011, 8:02 PM
I am just curious but why do you want a pocket holster? Wouldn't it take you some time to get it out of a buttoned up cargo pocket? Not trying to be a dick or anything I am just thinking out loud and wanted yours and others insight in to the subject.

I would go with the one that gives you more protection. Which would be the Super Fly, if I am not mistaken.

RollingCode3
09-27-2011, 9:06 PM
spend a little bit more and get kydex pocket holster. They make them for different small pocket handguns.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/lcp1.jpg

k1dude
09-27-2011, 10:41 PM
I use a leather pocket holster by Don Hume. Nicely made and inexpensive.

Bullwinkle
09-28-2011, 8:26 AM
I am just curious but why do you want a pocket holster?For the same reasons anyone else would want one.

1. BUG (can't wear an ankle holster if you're wearing shorts, for example).

2. Around the house carry... in particular, working in the yard while in plain view of neighbors (maybe with shirt off). Also so I can have my hand on something when answering the door at night, again w/o drawing attention to it.

3. Less chance of printing in a pocket than on my belt (seems to be a bigger problem for me than others).

4. Perhaps the biggest reason (in my situation), my in-laws live with us. No need to freak out the octogenarians, and pocket carry seems the best way of guaranteeing that they never know I'm doing it. My FIL is retired navy, so he wouldn't care... it's my MIL who doesn't need to know. Same with nephews & little ones. It's the most discrete carry form I can think of.

And I'm sure people with more experience using pocket carry than me--which would be anyone who has ever pocket carried at all--can come up with several more reasons. It just seems to be the most convenient carry method in certain scenarios, if not the most desireable. Walking around the house/property with a slinged rifle is not an option. ;)

paul0660
09-28-2011, 8:35 AM
Pocket holsters are the bomb.

The super fly would be good for cargo pants, the Nemesis for regular front pockets. The sticky stuff they put on the holsters to keep them in place while you draw wears out after a while..........a year in my case. I ended up getting a leather holster from Simply Rugged which is going on 4 years now.

dls
09-28-2011, 9:12 AM
I carry the nemesis in my shorts cargo pocket,with one button closed on the pocket. The squared bottom of the holster works good in the cargo type pocket keeping my J frame in the correct position, It's pretty secure and easily accessible to me.

I haven't looked at the DeSantis Super Fly, so I can't comment.

InGrAM
09-28-2011, 10:01 AM
For the same reasons anyone else would want one.

1. BUG (can't wear an ankle holster if you're wearing shorts, for example).

2. Around the house carry... in particular, working in the yard while in plain view of neighbors (maybe with shirt off). Also so I can have my hand on something when answering the door at night, again w/o drawing attention to it.

3. Less chance of printing in a pocket than on my belt (seems to be a bigger problem for me than others).

4. Perhaps the biggest reason (in my situation), my in-laws live with us. No need to freak out the octogenarians, and pocket carry seems the best way of guaranteeing that they never know I'm doing it. My FIL is retired navy, so he wouldn't care... it's my MIL who doesn't need to know. Same with nephews & little ones. It's the most discrete carry form I can think of.

And I'm sure people with more experience using pocket carry than me--which would be anyone who has ever pocket carried at all--can come up with several more reasons. It just seems to be the most convenient carry method in certain scenarios, if not the most desireable. Walking around the house/property with a slinged rifle is not an option. ;)

Makes complete sense to me. I have been thinking about getting a back up for my daily CC gun. I might have to try out something like this for a BUG. I have a .25 auto Jet fire and never had any use for it, I just bought it for ****s and giggles :rolleyes:. Thanks for the insight.

theneko
09-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Between the two I would say Nemesis. I have one and recently read an article on the super fly and they said it was too sticky. I think it was in the USCCA magazine - I would have to find it.

Serafino
09-28-2011, 11:12 AM
http://pcsholsters.com/

Sounds like you’re covered for your purposes but this guy’s stuff is worth knowing about.

Patrick Aherne
09-28-2011, 11:18 AM
I have carried a Nemesis with a SW 642 for about two years. I love it, but I think it needs replacement.

Swift Justice
09-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Ruger LCP in a Superfly, in my front pocket right now. Holster stays secure in the pocket but gun is pretty loose in the holster itself.

JimSar
09-28-2011, 12:26 PM
I have both the Nemesis and SuperFly. Prefer the latter, but still use the Nemesis occasionally depending on the pocket style. These pocket holsters are very comfortable, I often forget I carry (Glock 26).

Bobby Ricigliano
09-29-2011, 5:28 AM
I have been using the nemesis with my M&P9C. I don't like this holster at all because it comes out with the gun all the time. I will look at the superfly because stickier is better. The nemesis is barely a month old and is not sticky at all.

Eirerogue
09-29-2011, 5:38 AM
Save time and money and buy a Mika pocket holster. I've tried them all and nothing prints less and is easier to draw from than the Mika (IMO). They come in a rounded (dress pocket) model and squared off for cargo pants carry.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

JimSar
09-29-2011, 9:03 AM
Save time and money and buy a Mika pocket holster. I've tried them all and nothing prints less and is easier to draw from than the Mika (IMO). They come in a rounded (dress pocket) model and squared off for cargo pants carry.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

Reasonably priced, so I ordered a rounded cut to add to my "collection". Will report back when it arrives.

Eirerogue
09-29-2011, 9:21 AM
I've got both and have used them daily over the last 5 years. Still good to go!

p1choco
09-29-2011, 5:18 PM
I'd make my own with replaceable tacky rubber with either leather or kydex.

JeffCinSac
09-29-2011, 5:27 PM
I have a Nemesis for each of the small handguns on my LTC and have no complaints. I do not favor cargo pocket carry as, unless the pocket is smallish or the gun largish, whether the holster stays in place or not the gun has a tendency to rotate to the horizontal rear when I sit down. I do not like that.

thebriarman
10-14-2011, 3:47 PM
I've been using the 5 Shot molded leather holster for my PM9 and love it. Holster stays in the pocket, molded for the specific gun, RH or LH, and you can have him customize it as he makes them to order. http://www.5shotleather.com/ankle-pocket.htm

Cougar
10-14-2011, 3:58 PM
I used a DeSantis Nemesis for many years... Recently purchased a DeSantis Trickster...

I like it, much much better...

It is easier to draw, more comfortable, stays in correct position better, has less visual imprint through clothing...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/desantis-ambidexterous-black-the-trickster-021bje5z0.html

For some reason the description says "back pocket", but I only use it in a front pocket...