View Full Version : Solved: Can't adjust AR-15 rear sight for improved battlesight zero!

Dreaded Claymore
09-27-2011, 6:51 PM
Crossposted from Gunsmithing & How-To, because all the AR lovers hang out here.

Okay, I bought an LMT non-folding rear sight from MarcusAR10 (thanks again by the way :thumbsup:). Then I went to this web page (http://ar15zeroing.com/). I tried to follow Ltc. Santose's instructions to ready the sight for a 200 meter improved battlesight zero:

The lowest sight setting, however, on these sights is 300 meters so the sight needs to be modified to preserve the markings on the sight (despite the fact that no one ever sets a range on these in the real world other than a USMC range). The sight needs to be set to bottom out at 8/3 -2 clicks. This will be the new 200-meter setting.

a) Flip the rear sight back to the unmarked aperture. This will reveal a hole in the top of the handle.
b) Rotate the sight wheel all the way down. It will probably be exactly at 8/3 (6/3). Donít force it down.
c) Using a 1/16Ē Allen wrench, loosen the screw (under the revealed hole) in the sight wheel 3 full turns. Leave the wrench in the screw.
d) Rotate the bottom half of the sight wheel two clicks clockwise. This will raise the sight body if you look at it while youíre turning it.
e) Tighten the Allen screw, remove the wrench, and confirm the sight bottoms out at 2 clicks BELOW 8/3. If not repeat the procedure until it is right.

But I only got as far as step c. When I tried to rotate the bottom half of the elevation wheel, I couldn't. It wouldn't budge. I tried screwing the screw a little bit more in or out, but that didn't help either.

Can anyone help me?

09-27-2011, 7:17 PM
The set screw has a "pin" made into it. You need to unscrew it quite a ways for it to be able to be out far enough so it isn't still in the hole in the bottom wheel. The screw is the one to the right of the 3 detent springs in the pic.

Dreaded Claymore
09-27-2011, 7:36 PM
Oh my gosh. It worked! Thank you so much. I was afraid I'd broken my brand new sight. :notworthy:

09-27-2011, 8:08 PM
Here's a pretty detailed thread explaining it, with pictures.
It's for the revised improved BZO (RiBZ) remember to double the clicks for a detachable carry handle rear sight. ie 100 yds is 6/3 minus 6 clicks.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/328143_RIBZ_____Revised_Improved_Battlesight_Zero_ _now_with_down_loadable_50_yard_zeroing_target_.ht ml
Works well, love it.

09-28-2011, 10:41 AM
I did the adjustment to my sights then realized I couldn't shoot good enough to benefit from the adjustment. Silly but true. An optic helped me more.