PDA

View Full Version : Saiga .308 Questions

theme57
09-27-2011, 5:40 PM
Originally I planned on getting a M1A, but the cost was too much. I then thought about a K31, but the ammo seemed kinda pricey, and I wanted a semi-auto for shooting at 300y. I then stumbled upon the Saiga .308 which seems to get good groups at 100y with surplus ammo. So my questions are:

1) What would a group be at 300y and with what ammo? If I get this rifle I dont want to have to buy match ammo to be able to get moderate groups.

2) How much would it be to make it both more accurate and be easier to shoot accurate minus ammo and work that would not allow me to fire it a lot due to retaining accuracy

3) Is there something else in 308 that would overall cost less then about 800usd and be able to shoot about 3-4" or better at 300yards?

Rob454
09-27-2011, 5:54 PM
Originally I planned on getting a M1A, but the cost was too much. I then thought about a K31, but the ammo seemed kinda pricey, and I wanted a semi-auto for shooting at 300y. I then stumbled upon the Saiga .308 which seems to get good groups at 100y with surplus ammo. So my questions are:

1) What would a group be at 300y and with what ammo? If I get this rifle I dont want to have to buy match ammo to be able to get moderate groups.

2) How much would it be to make it both more accurate and be easier to shoot accurate minus ammo and work that would not allow me to fire it a lot due to retaining accuracy

3) Is there something else in 308 that would overall cost less then about 800usd and be able to shoot about 3-4" or better at 300yards?

If you are looking for a very accurate out of the box rifle get a bolt action. out of the box a Remington 700 or Savage 10 in 308 caliber will work just fine and be less than $800. And then you can customize it as you please.

If you have to have a semi auto how does a FAL sound? Or maybe a PSL? They hover around $800.
While a 308 Saiga is not exactly precision 300 yards shouldn't be too much of a problem for any rifle made today. i could do 200-250 yards with my SKS and Saiga 7.62 and it was able to hit a 5 inch metal round bell without any problems. And that was with Wolf ammo no special hand load or target ammo.

theme57
09-27-2011, 8:10 PM
If you are looking for a very accurate out of the box rifle get a bolt action. out of the box a Remington 700 or Savage 10 in 308 caliber will work just fine and be less than $800. And then you can customize it as you please.

If you have to have a semi auto how does a FAL sound? Or maybe a PSL? They hover around $800.
While a 308 Saiga is not exactly precision 300 yards shouldn't be too much of a problem for any rifle made today. i could do 200-250 yards with my SKS and Saiga 7.62 and it was able to hit a 5 inch metal round bell without any problems. And that was with Wolf ammo no special hand load or target ammo.

I will likely get a good bolt action for ranges 300y+ later on (likely the 700 or K31 depending haha), I am going to use this for hunting and as a SHTF long range semi auto later on. I haven't really looked into the FAL that much, sadly I have never even held a variant in person so I don't really know how the ergos are which is why I have leaned towards the Saiga. The PSL does look pretty tempting but the corrosive x54r kinda sets me off since I may not be able to clean it after every range day.

Is there non corrosive x54r ammo, if so how much, how are the PSL groups at 300y, and how far could it shoot with surplus ammo while staying within 5"

How is the weight, ergo, price, durability, aftermarket parts and options for optics and what not and kick compared to a ruger mini 30?

Just to say I am the type of person to like to plan ahead which I am doing in this post. I have yet to even get my first gun but just prefer to know what I am going to get and prepare for it hahaha. Also I do know that cheap guns wont be able to out shoot match ones for the most part but I would like to hear how the groups are.

Bigtwin
09-27-2011, 8:29 PM
There are "tons" of non corosive 7.62x54r ammo out there! Many new production ammo in both Russian new manufacture Barnul...any of the "bear" type.or Wolf,.as well as some Winchester and a few others(Privy, S&B...ect...)

I have 7.62x54r from all listed and reload for the caliber for acuracy.(not cost effectivness)

NorCalK9.com
09-27-2011, 8:47 PM
I have a saiga 308 16in barrel it shoots about 4inch's @ 200yards using crap surplus. But with decent brand ammo I can pull about 2n a half at 200 yards. My reccomendation is a saiga.
A fal is another good choice but heavy as heck.

hellraiser
09-27-2011, 8:56 PM
Hope this helps...
http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/40227-what-kind-of-accuracy-are-you-getting-from-your-saiga-308/page__mode__show__st__90

theme57
09-28-2011, 8:35 AM
I have a saiga 308 16in barrel it shoots about 4inch's @ 200yards using crap surplus. But with decent brand ammo I can pull about 2n a half at 200 yards. My reccomendation is a saiga.
A fal is another good choice but heavy as heck.

That I do know about the FAL haha. I plan on getting the 22in barrel since I can cut it down later on.

theme57
09-28-2011, 8:37 AM
Hope this helps...
http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/40227-what-kind-of-accuracy-are-you-getting-from-your-saiga-308/page__mode__show__st__90

I have seen this post before but I those were at 100y and I will using this at 300y with a magnified optic which is why I came here.

hellraiser
09-28-2011, 9:00 AM
I have seen this post before but I those were at 100y and I will using this at 300y with a magnified optic which is why I came here.

Just tryin to give you an idea...
Honestly you'd probaly get more info posting your question there as they are a more saiga specific site. Good bunch of guys too!

Btw... Are you lookin at a 16 inch or 21 inch barreled model?

theme57
09-28-2011, 9:15 AM
Just tryin to give you an idea...
Honestly you'd probaly get more info posting your question there as they are a more saiga specific site. Good bunch of guys too!

Btw... Are you lookin at a 16 inch or 21 inch barreled model?

I likely would, but then again they probably dont live in this "wonderful" state of ours hahaha and I am will be going for the 21in model. Also where did you get yours? I looked around a good amount and havnt found a site that sells them in the longer barrel model that are in stock.

novalondon
09-28-2011, 6:45 PM
Mississippi auto arms has Saiga .308 at $579.00 right now plus shipping for what it is worth. limit one per customer

theme57
09-28-2011, 7:56 PM
Mississippi auto arms has Saiga .308 at $579.00 right now plus shipping for what it is worth. limit one per customer

They are sold out, but oh well, it will be a while until I get it anyhow haha, but thanks everyone.

NorCalK9.com
09-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Dang my first saiga 308 couple years ago ran me 350+dros didnt realize they skyrocketed so high in price.