PDA

View Full Version : Oroville

STiLtd683
09-27-2011, 5:46 PM
Hey all, I head over to the wildlife preserve range in Oroville fairly often and I noticed that it is getting rather cluttered. I read somewhere that it is cleaned up on the third Thursday of every month, but I wanted to do a bit more than that. I was considering heading out there and doing some cleaning by myself, but I wasn't sure what the etiquette was.

I was planning on rolling out early morning on a weekday and crossing my fingers for no shooters. I figure that an empty range is wishful thinking, but that is ok because I could probably get a truckload from the staging area anyway.

Please chime in with any advice on how to go about doing this properly. Thanks.

Dutch3
09-27-2011, 6:01 PM
I usually pick up around my general area when shooting there. I have also arrived 5 minutes after sunrise and found the place full, so YMMV.

STiLtd683
09-27-2011, 6:17 PM
I wasn't calling anyone out on not cleaning. We've all littered and unfortunately many people, myself included, sometimes follow bad examples. I was just looking for something that I can do to help the shooting community.

And thanks for the sunrise comment. That is disappointing, but not unexpected.

Dutch3
09-30-2011, 5:12 AM
At least the early birds tend to be safe & sane.

I would be up for cleaning up around the tables if we can find a slow day.

Spyder
09-30-2011, 10:14 AM
I bet if you went out there a half hour before sunrise, you'd be able to get a truckload or two. Pretty much all of the folks that go way early, during the week, are old timers who are pretty serious about their shooting. I bet they'd appreciate it.

Quinc
09-30-2011, 10:24 AM
I thought the crack heads and Mongs have been doing a pretty good job. At least cleaning up anything that can be recycled. Can't even find a .22 casing on the ground there anymore!

Dutch3
09-30-2011, 3:05 PM
I thought the crack heads and Mongs have been doing a pretty good job. At least cleaning up anything that can be recycled. Can't even find a .22 casing on the ground there anymore!

They do seem to be well-organized and their efforts are appreciated. Still, there are tons of steel casings, shotgun hulls and general trash accumulating.

I wonder what a rolling magnet would pick up in an hour's time. At least a truckload of steel, maybe three?

Quinc
09-30-2011, 3:27 PM
They do seem to be well-organized and their efforts are appreciated. Still, there are tons of steel casings, shotgun hulls and general trash accumulating.

I wonder what a rolling magnet would pick up in an hour's time. At least a truckload of steel, maybe three?

At least! Its really to bad about all the a-holes and the crap they bring out.. Saw some vacuum cleaners there the last time i went.. :mad:

STiLtd683
09-30-2011, 4:22 PM
^ Exactly. I was planning on going for it with a buddy, but if we could get a group that'd be awesome. I'll volunteer my truck.

Dutch3
09-30-2011, 5:31 PM
I'm sort of between trucks right now, but the "new old truck" should be on the road within the next week. 3/4 ton, load it up.

Gregchico
10-02-2011, 7:55 PM
^ Exactly. I was planning on going for it with a buddy, but if we could get a group that'd be awesome. I'll volunteer my truck.

If you get a time ironed out, count me (plus one or two) in to help. I was out at 7am this morning and it looked freshly cleaned up.

Quinc
10-02-2011, 8:09 PM
If you want to wait 4-6 weeks I can help. (broken leg) :(

realgreenfire
10-03-2011, 3:30 AM
im in as well. when? lol

STiLtd683
10-03-2011, 9:16 AM
Awesome response. I'll give the wildlife preserve a call and see if we need any permissions, etc. and then we can pick a day.

realgreenfire
11-12-2011, 4:52 AM
i guess its not happening?

Don Edmondson
11-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Can you tell where this place is thanks Don

Dutch3
11-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Can you tell where this place is thanks Don

It is on Rabe Rd., Just off Larkin Rd. near the Oroville airport.

Google "Rabe Rd. Oroville, CA" and you will get a map.

Don Edmondson
11-12-2011, 1:11 PM
thank you Don

realgreenfire
11-13-2011, 10:26 PM
im going down to the range tomorrow morning to throw some hot lead down range, weather permitting.. cant really trust the forecast anymore!
might do some cleanup depending on what car i bring with (depends what girlfriend takes to school), thinking 9-10am arrival. if anyones down and has a truck for sure than we can probably get some work in.

any takers?

STiLtd683
11-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Sorry I've been slacking all. School hit me hard and things have been hectic. As soon as life slows down for me ill do my best to organize something.

realgreenfire
11-13-2011, 11:26 PM
i feel ya on the school pains.. between butte and work i havent been to the range in quite a while

omgwtfbbq
11-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Was there on Veterans day and overall the place was pretty clean. There were the usual bits of wood and shell hulls, but that would be easy to clean up. If there was a set date eventually I can request off from work, I would be willing to show up and help out. Don't have a truck unfortunately, but my arms and back work pretty decent. Might be able to wrangle a few of my buddies to help too. I'll watch the thread for movement.

realgreenfire
11-18-2011, 4:32 PM
as of early this morning there was TONS of shotgun wad's casings, trash and junk out to the 100yd berm, out past that there wasn't much of anything. i thought shotguns werent really allowed anymore?

omgwtfbbq
11-18-2011, 4:35 PM
as of early this morning there was TONS of shotgun wad's casings, trash and junk out to the 100yd berm, out past that there wasn't much of anything. i thought shotguns werent really allowed anymore?

Shotguns are still totally kosher as far as I know.

Dutch3
11-18-2011, 6:45 PM
The sign says "paper or clay targets only".

"Clay targets" = shotguns, no?

94bigtow
11-22-2011, 8:40 PM
whenever you guys need a hand I would be more than willing to help email me any time @kingoforoville@aol.com