PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Devices

04_e46
09-27-2011, 4:18 PM
any recommended muzzle device(s) you members recommend? Thinking about changing out the a2 bird cage.

mlevans66
09-27-2011, 4:39 PM
Surefire, Battlecomp, Effin A comp from Ares Armour, Dynacomp, PWS, Rock River, and a bunch of others. Good luck! :D

Caladain
09-27-2011, 4:41 PM
Dynacomp Short really mellowed out my Stag Model 8 (Piston carbine length AR) +1

I'll be getting a titan comp soon... :43:

Austin794
09-27-2011, 4:47 PM
Surefire, Battlecomp are the probably my two favorites for the money. Both work really well.

Maddog5150
09-27-2011, 4:53 PM
they all do the same thing to be honest. What people recommend will depend on what kool aid flavor is good at the time.
I've seen guys at ranges run no comp or el cheapo $30 dollar comps like a champ and hit everything and we've all seen the guys with the 40 pound AR-15 running the most expensive comps on bi-pods who cant hit crapola.
I have a battle comp and its ok I guess. I wasnt really wow'd or blown away by it. I'e had a wilson and it ran great and was cheap as hell but I have long lost it.
btw, I've drank kool aid before so not looking down on it :p

P.Charm
09-27-2011, 4:57 PM
I myself am looking at the yhm phantom comp. I lile the smooth end. For being a 30 piece it will do the job correct? I just want to go featureless on my rifle.

Sicarius
09-27-2011, 5:05 PM
the YHM will do the trick. For 30 bucks it cant be beat IMO. Good choice on the smoothe end. The pointy one kills your soft cases...
Kevin

04_e46
09-28-2011, 12:45 AM
thinking about getting the YHM phantom 5C2 comp/flash hider...was also checking out the battle comp 1.0, but dont really see whats the up side to getting the BC 1.0 than the YHM...

HK35
09-28-2011, 6:14 AM
they all do the same thing to be honest. What people recommend will depend on what kool aid flavor is good at the time.
I've seen guys at ranges run no comp or el cheapo $30 dollar comps like a champ and hit everything and we've all seen the guys with the 40 pound AR-15 running the most expensive comps on bi-pods who cant hit crapola.
I have a battle comp and its ok I guess. I wasnt really wow'd or blown away by it. I'e had a wilson and it ran great and was cheap as hell but I have long lost it.
What he said is so true!!! I've tried the latest trend but found out that the $25 Stag brake works just as well and even better than the designer brands.

shadow65
09-28-2011, 6:26 AM
I like the Phantoms for the price and function.
For SBR's I've been using the Kies Linear Comp to direct the blast down range.
Dave N

louscamaro91
09-28-2011, 7:14 AM
I like the YMH and smith enterprise($40 maybe).
I do own a battlecomp and a surefire mb, I have yet to use them as they were given to me.. No need to buy a fancy comp for my AR, these things have no recoil to begin with. I save my money for my .30 cal rifles brakes:)

louscamaro91
09-28-2011, 7:16 AM
I take that back...
I did just buy a ops Inc brake for my AR.. throw me under the bus....:)

jetspeedz
09-28-2011, 7:44 AM
I have a review coming out soon, i just did one on muzzle devices. keep an eye out for my signature

1lostinspace
09-28-2011, 7:48 AM
Vortex is the best flash hidder out there

1lostinspace
09-28-2011, 7:49 AM
Vortex is the best flash hidder out there

Sumo99
09-28-2011, 7:58 AM
You looking for a flash hider or muzzle brake?

Darthbauer
09-28-2011, 9:07 AM
Since no one said it, Troy medieval muzzle break. It's cheap and it does the trick. It's what I have on my ACR currently. I have had the surefire ones on all of my AR's in the past but the Troy is only $50 and seems to work just as good.

Fiveohmike
09-28-2011, 9:10 AM
JP Tank Brake

joefreas
09-28-2011, 9:11 AM
I have found these to be one of the best: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR225-7.html

pyro3k2
09-28-2011, 9:18 AM
I've been using the Troy claymore brake, its great! not only is it a good muzzle brake but my neighbors on the range don't get blasted.

Don29palms
09-28-2011, 9:52 AM
A thread protector is only $10.

1lostinspace
09-28-2011, 11:03 AM
If your looking for control JP if your looking for flash vortex both FSC 556

Sunday
09-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Smith muzzle break

chesterthehero
09-28-2011, 7:07 PM
What he said is so true!!! I've tried the latest trend but found out that the $25 Stag brake works just as well and even better than the designer brands.

when you find it for $15 it works even better... loud as hell but it works like a champ

donking
09-28-2011, 8:10 PM
the YHM will do the trick. For 30 bucks it cant be beat IMO. Good choice on the smoothe end. The pointy one kills your soft cases...
Kevin

The local surplus store in Mtn View has the plastic barrel caps for $0.25 each. It fits the Phantom tight, so just slice it down the side and it will fit good. Without the slice they fit the A2 and Battlecomp perfectly.

At that price you don't feel bad when you accidently shoot with the cap on and have to get a new cap. :willy_nilly:

vintagearms
09-28-2011, 8:17 PM
Knights triple tap muzzle break. Second choice would be the Battlecomp 1 or 1.5.

palakaboy
09-28-2011, 8:24 PM
I got to try out the Effin A this past weekend..

All I can say is I'm very impressed.

It's almost cheating when it comes to follow up shots.

Dreaded Claymore
09-28-2011, 8:34 PM
Knights triple tap muzzle break. Second choice would be the Battlecomp 1 or 1.5.

Except that you have to pay $500, because of the added "Because you suck. And we hate you." fees. KAC products are crazily expensive.

I suppose, to be fair to KAC, the Triple Tap is apparently made out of an extremely hard alloy that tears up machine tools, so when you buy a Triple Tap, you're also paying to replace the tools with which it was made. Still, go with the Battlecomp.

HK35
09-28-2011, 8:36 PM
when you find it for $15 it works even better... loud as hell but it works like a champ I can't argue with that. $15 is a steal for a brake actually works very well. The good brakes are loud since they redirect expansing gas to the side.

shark92651
09-28-2011, 8:48 PM
Except that you have to pay $500, because of the added "Because you suck. And we hate you." fees. KAC products are crazily expensive.

I suppose, to be fair to KAC, the Triple Tap is apparently made out of an extremely hard alloy that tears up machine tools, so when you buy a Triple Tap, you're also paying to replace the tools with which it was made. Still, go with the Battlecomp.

I never really understood why a muzzle device needs to be made out of Inconel. I had a customer that wanted me to pin/weld one for him, after a little research I politely declined to tackle that project ;)

donking
09-28-2011, 9:18 PM
Kevin

The local surplus store in Mtn View has the plastic barrel caps for $0.25 each. It fits the Phantom tight, so just slice it down the side and it will fit good. Without the slice they fit the A2 and Battlecomp perfectly.

At that price you don't feel bad when you accidently shoot with the cap on and have to get a new cap. :willy_nilly:

Here is link to pic
http://www.vietnamgear.com/fullphoto.aspx?img=M16cap.jpg

04_e46
09-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I ended up ordering the YHM Phantom 5c2...hopefully it gets here before I let some rounds off on Sunday. If I'm not a fan of it I'll probably pick up the battle comp 1.0...

ExtremeX
09-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Ive used a few... only one I kept is the PWS 556.

donking
10-02-2011, 8:18 PM
I ended up ordering the YHM Phantom 5c2...hopefully it gets here before I let some rounds off on Sunday. If I'm not a fan of it I'll probably pick up the battle comp 1.0...

I think the Phantom is a great "bang for the buck" device. I have it on the training AR and compared to the BC on the other AR, it works well.

Let us know how you like it.

SIGSHOOTR
10-03-2011, 4:15 PM
I think the Phantom is a great "bang for the buck" device. I have it on the training AR and compared to the BC on the other AR, it works well.

Let us know how you like it.

+1 for the Phantom.

CRTguns
10-03-2011, 7:29 PM
I never really understood why a muzzle device needs to be made out of Inconel. I had a customer that wanted me to pin/weld one for him, after a little research I politely declined to tackle that project ;)

Inconel does not expand at elevated temps. Inconel will not oxidise or fuse to the very hot blowback swarf that you get when a supressor is affixed around the brake. Inconel will not erode over time as is readily seen with conventional steel brakes attached to FA guns- even SA that get a lot of use.

The Triple tap was first made as a combo- brake and supressor adapter, like the surefire... if only in principle.

Seeker
10-03-2011, 9:13 PM
What do you fine gentlemen think about the SureFire flash hider? I have one of those and want to see others opinion on it.
Dont mean to thread jack.

thenotoriousmo
10-04-2011, 12:47 AM
get which ever you feel looks the best and dont mind paying. the recoil from a 223 is hardly punishing at all. the only way i could justify getting a surfire/aac brake is if i was going to get one of their cans.. yes it works, and they do quite well i admit. but 150 compared to a 30 dollar yhm brake which works almost as well... again its what you feel comfortable spending. i see better value in spending the 4 buck a gallon to be able to get to shoot it.

now if this was a different cartridge, well thats a different story.

gau17
10-04-2011, 7:40 AM

+1000. Stick with the A2 and save your money. Spend it on ammo and get more range time! There is not enough recoil on an AR to justify spending 150.00 + on a brake.

P.Charm
10-04-2011, 9:07 AM
+1000. Stick with the A2 and save your money. Spend it on ammo and get more range time! There is not enough recoil on an AR to justify spending 150.00 + on a brake.

so if one was to make their rifle "featureless," (all flash hiders being out) you would recomend just a thread protector, or nothing at all? 35bucks for YHM doesn't seem that bad. I agree I don't think I need to spend over a hundred on a brake isn't needed (for my purposes)

gau17
10-04-2011, 10:00 AM
P.CHARM - You can add a thread protector just in case you change your mind to be on the safe side.

Re: YHM. I personally do not have experience with it. Looking at the design, you might kick up dirt if you decide to shoot prone with bi-pod. On the A2 the ports are on the top. You might want to keep that in mind.

This is my only AR that has a brake. I wanted to keep it to spec as much as possible. It's pretty loud.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/gau17/Rem%20700/SPR.jpg

ScottsBad
10-04-2011, 12:45 PM
PWS is great, provides great compensation and also reduces muzzle flash. Two for one basically.

They come standard on SCAR 16 and 17 if that tells you anything.

CRTguns
10-04-2011, 8:59 PM
PWS is great, provides great compensation and also reduces muzzle flash. Two for one basically.

They come standard on SCAR 16 and 17 if that tells you anything.

... what? Do tell. More noise, less measurable recoil mitigation...on a clearly (wait for it)... INFERIOR rifle. AAC is fitted to the exemplar weapons the DD tested. not PWS.

The SCAR is doggy doo doo. if that tells you anything.

Knife Edge
10-04-2011, 9:09 PM
... what? Do tell. More noise, less measurable recoil mitigation...on a clearly (wait for it)... INFERIOR rifle. AAC is fitted to the exemplar weapons the DD tested. not PWS.

The SCAR is doggy doo doo. if that tells you anything.

Actually the PWS is quiet when you are the one pulling the trigger. I have these on all my carbines and the reduction in recoil was substantial. For the price and minimal weight they are hard to beat. If we could use cans in CA I'd be all over the surefire, unfortunately not the case.

Knife Edge
10-04-2011, 9:21 PM

gau17
10-05-2011, 6:52 AM
Actually the PWS is quiet when you are the one pulling the trigger.

Brakes are all quite when you're the nut behind the gun. Annoying to shoot next to.

UNDFTD
10-05-2011, 9:50 AM
No one has said Miculek (DPMS) comp yet. Ordered one the other day...starting to get worried.

palakaboy
10-05-2011, 10:37 AM
here's a vid i created with a bunch of Effin-A users.

it might help you on your hunt.

jtzshooters
10-05-2011, 4:35 PM
here's a vid i created with a bunch of Effin-A users.

it might help you on your hunt.

I notice everyone in the video let their finger off the trigger after each shot .:(

Arnelcheeze
10-05-2011, 5:43 PM
No one has said Miculek (DPMS) comp yet. Ordered one the other day...starting to get worried.
I have one and its the best, i also have the stag comp which is similar in design, they both work well. just loud as heck and the side blast always amuses those in the next lane... "What are you shooting???" lol