PDA

View Full Version : No-recoil 223 option for new shooters

Caladain
09-27-2011, 4:51 PM
So, i have been taking lots of new-to-guns-entirely shooters out to the range for the first time. Thus far, i've converted all of them into wanting their own guns, but i've hit a bit of a snag.

The wife of one of my new shooting friends has been enjoying hitting smaller and smaller steel targets at 100 yards from the bench, but would like to start pushing to 200-300 yards (past the effective range of my mark2)

The problem: She finds the recoil on my carbine length Stag Model 2 AR15 with a Dynacomp and a Magpul CTR stock too much. She likes the recoil of the 22lr, likes the reach of the 223, but doesn't like the mild recoil. We were shooting PMC 223 55gr FMJ.

Would getting a 20 or 24 inch upper help with the recoil? Buffer weights?

Scratch705
09-27-2011, 4:54 PM
tell her to buy a PAST pad

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/past/catalog.asp?family=past-recoil-pads

IPSICK
09-27-2011, 4:59 PM
20" barrel, Rifle length gas system, JP Low Mass Operating system (buffer and BCG), adjustable gas block, SJC Titan Comp, and good hearing protection due to the loud comp.

frigginchi
09-27-2011, 5:06 PM
Let her put 2 rounds through a Mosin Nagant and then let her shoot the AR:) Or let her shoot a .22lr like this guy:
FccYWUgOKsg

3GunFunShooter
09-27-2011, 5:09 PM
+1 on what IPSICK wrote.
I use a Endine Hydraulic buffer also.

baih777
09-27-2011, 5:14 PM
On your magpul stock you can get a thicker recoil pad. Bass Pro Shops in ontario has the Past shoulder pad. I picked one up last week.

Norcal Industries
09-27-2011, 5:17 PM
22 conversion for your ar?

CK_32
09-27-2011, 5:18 PM
Dude if you can't handle a 5.56 you shouldnt hold a rifle. My ex gf of 110lbs wouldn't put my AR down when we shot it. I have videos in my YouTube channel in my sig to prove it.

And if your worried about them hurting their shoulder your not teching them how to properly shoot.

So get a 22lr conversion kit for your AR then you have a 5.56 AR but they can shoot their 22.

Austin794
09-27-2011, 5:22 PM
1. Tactical Springs extra power buffer spring
2. H2 /H3 buffer
3. Surefire MBK556 or BattleComp muzzle brake.

All these combined made my AR feel like a 22lr when shooting

Caladain
09-27-2011, 5:32 PM
Dude if you can't handle a 5.56 you shouldnt hold a rifle. My ex gf of 110lbs wouldn't put my AR down when we shot it. I have videos in my YouTube channel in my sig to prove it.

And if your worried about them hurting their shoulder your not teching them how to properly shoot.

So get a 22lr conversion kit for your AR then you have a 5.56 AR but they can shoot their 22.

It's not me I'm worried about :-P My calibers are 308 and 45acp.

And yes, she is holding the gun properly, with proper technique and, this last time we went out as a group, starting to work on proper breathing for long distance shooting.

*she doesn't like recoil*. She'll shoot the AR. It doesn't hurt her. She loves shooting (and thus i think she'll come around and get over it...especially when she gets tired of 300 yards and wants to move to the 900 range).

It's a stop-gap i'm looking for, and something to keep in my safe in case I encounter it again. The Savage was a calculated move to have a "non-evil" looking rifle...then i introduce the AR as we push to 200-300, then we get into the 308 rifles when they've completely fallen to the dark side.

I try and do it in such a manner that they bring their desires forward...she wants to shoot further, so that means a bigger round...which she had fun hitting at that distance, but complained about the recoil enough to downgrade back to 22lr, and then wanted to go back to the larger range but couldn't hit that far with 22lr..she was very sad, which is a bad thing for a new shooter...want to keep the experience happy as much as possible.

Caladain
09-27-2011, 5:38 PM
I'm going to get a couple PAST pads, that Titan comp, a 20 inch AR free float upper, and a lower with modified buffer weights..

But one person recommends low mass..the other high mass...?

Austin794
09-27-2011, 5:56 PM
yeah my recommendation was based on my current setup which is a 14.5" barrel with mid length gas system. If you run a rifle length gas system then you probably won't need the heavier buffers. I don't know too much about the JP Enterprises low mass kit, but it sounds like that may be a better option for you.

Flouncer
09-27-2011, 5:57 PM
Just another angle or perspective. I don't know jack about Ar or .223. But the calculated recoil is zilch, and the weapon used lessons it further relative to a bolt gun.

Try deadening the other senses effected - hearing.

Use foam and good ear muff. Deaden that sense completely. Maybe the perceived recoil will feel less.

When I think back to all the BS I was told by well wishers. A 16-inch barrel 6 lb 30-30 Marlin doesn't kick. *Fawk* that for a first time shooter.

Stepping from a .22 rim to a .223 CF the first thing that comes to my mind is

BANG

And it's scary and intimidating.

Good luck. :)

Austin794
09-27-2011, 6:08 PM
Just another angle or perspective. I don't know jack about Ar or .223. But the calculated recoil is zilch, and the weapon used lessons it further relative to a bolt gun.

Use foam and good ear muff. Deaden that sense completely. Maybe the perceived recoil will feel less.

When I think back to all the BS I was told by well wishers. A 16-inch barrel 6 lb 30-30 Marlin doesn't kick. *Fawk* that for a first time shooter.

BANG

I would have to agree with this as well.

Caladain
09-27-2011, 6:18 PM

BANG

It's what i've been doing. Both EAR plugs (29db) and over-the-ear muffs (33db). I'm not a mean, vindictive gun owner...I never understood the desire of people to shove a 91/30 into a person's hands whose never shot a gun before, or hand them a Desert Eagle 50..

Safe, fun environment..we go on days when the range is empty, snack, have fun, shoot. 22lr to start off with in longgun..then 22lr in handgun..then slowly, as they want to, go to different guns. I keep buying/borrowing guns to cover different niches so, when they want, they can try things out, like carbine work, or long distance shooting...45/40/9...Glock/XD/Sig in Full, Compact, and Subcompact (still collecting the glocks in compact and sub for 45/40/9)..

But this is the first time i've hit someone who likes things that go bang, but doesn't like even a 223's recoil. I figure she'll get over it with time, but no sense in running her off.

Reductio
09-27-2011, 6:24 PM
Recoil of .223 PMC is too much? o.0 Well... get a BattleComp or a similar muzzle device.

TBH, have her shoot it a couple times more and see if she gets used to it, I'm willing to bet it's more the noise than anything else.

Caladain
09-27-2011, 6:28 PM
Recoil of .223 PMC is too much? o.0 Well... get a BattleComp or a similar muzzle device.

TBH, have her shoot it a couple times more and see if she gets used to it, I'm willing to bet it's more the noise than anything else.

She did 300 rounds of it :-P

in-the-ear protection *and* over the ear, outdoor range..

It's got a dynacomp on it..lightest hitting gun i have..she just doesn't like recoil. :-/

IPSICK
09-27-2011, 6:29 PM
3-gunners go low mass. They can manage recoil but don't like it either

dmax11
09-27-2011, 6:29 PM
get a 59/66 yugo SKS. they are so heavy and with the muzzle brake as well (ca complaint ones have to have the GL removed so almost all are replaced with a MB) the recoil is non existent on them.

other cheap solitions are buy a mosin and have her try that then she will be happy to shoot the AR all day afterwards, as for universal pads i bought a shooters friend gel pad from cabela's after lots of research to tame my mosin and it is incredible how much it reduces felt recoil without the pad with either no pad or a cheap chinese rubber pad on the mosin shooting from a bench i could only handle about 10-20 rounds before my shoulder was begging me to put the mosin away and shoot my SKS. with the pad the mosin feels only slightly stronger than the SKS but with much more muzzle rise of course. easily the best 20 dollars i have spent on improving my mosin :)

Barbarossa
09-27-2011, 6:31 PM
She did 300 rounds of it :-P

in-the-ear protection *and* over the ear, outdoor range..

It's got a dynacomp on it..lightest hitting gun i have..she just doesn't like recoil. :-/

How about adding more mass to the gun? A2 stock with lead in it maybe?

elSquid
09-27-2011, 6:32 PM
Get a 22Magnum or 17HMR instead?

-- Michael

Shellshocker66
09-27-2011, 6:47 PM
Personally I don't think the 5.56/.223 has much recoil. When using my .22lr i feel like I'm playing with a toy as it has NO recoil, when I shot the AR it really doesn't have that much of a recoil and I hardly feel it. I think your friend is more scared of the noise then the actual kick. Get her a pad and add some ear plugs and ear muffs.

No I'm not some burly dude, I'm 5'3 and 3/4 inches and female. If the above doesn't work have her shoot a 12ga a few times. She will then love the AR!

tuna quesadilla
09-27-2011, 6:50 PM
Heavier rifles recoil less and have less muzzle rise with the added benefit of being more stable.

The National Match type guys put lead weights in their ARs to maximize the weight. Some of them weigh in the neighborhood of 20 lbs!

I'm guessing she doesn't like the "snap" of that lightweight carbine's recoil, and she would find a heavier rifle much more pleasant to shoot.

mif_slim
09-27-2011, 6:54 PM
Mid-length + a good comp = micro recoil. Add all the other that are mention here and you have yourself a 5.56 caliber with a 22lr recoil.

C_1
09-27-2011, 7:06 PM
Get her a 16" mid length upper, with a good muzzle brake (PWS, Surefire, JP, etc etc), a Limbsaver or Magpul enhanced recoil pad, and a H buffer. If she doesn't like that setup, then maybe a 22lr?

nrakid88
09-27-2011, 7:32 PM
Dude, adding a comp to a .223 is just going to make it louder, and much more intimidating.

If you want a AR that recoils very little, and has less intimidating blast, get the 24-26" bull barreled version. a PRS stock to make it balance a little better, skip any and all brakes, maybe put lead in the stock, and try the low mass buffers.

That should give you, if you add a BIG scope, like a 15-17 lbs bench rifle in .223. I bet I could put my balls against the stock, pull the trigger, and be cool.

starsnuffer
09-27-2011, 7:33 PM
Get a 22Magnum or 17HMR instead?

-- Michael

Great advice.

My 13 year old daughter can shoot my AR's fine, though she prefers my friends MR1. Her favorite rifle is the one I gave to her, a Remington 575 .22 magnum. She calls it her "sniper rifle" because of the scope, bipod, cheek rest, ect. It has virtually no kick at all.

The 5.7 is really the same cartridge as the 22 magnum, albeit in center fire and a bottle neck. You can put together a 5.7 AR for the wife.

-W

Disgruntled Gunny
09-27-2011, 7:41 PM
My son started when he was 8. He put 4 rounds downrange with my 13.5" bushmaster and was done. Or so he thought.

I swapped out the upper with a cmmg .22 dedicated and he blew out several mags. Needless to say he's now 10 and is a pretty good shot.

mif_slim
09-27-2011, 7:53 PM
Nrakid88, now your talking about weight. Would a little women want to carry a 20lbs gun?

Reductio
09-27-2011, 8:05 PM
Nrakid88, now your talking about weight. Would a little women want to carry a 20lbs gun?

People actually carry their AR's still? Haven't you been to Angeles recently? :confused:

Josh3239
09-27-2011, 8:10 PM
I didn't want to say it but I gotta agree. Guns recoil, just barely in an ARs case, thats just the way it is. If ya don't like recoil try Call Of Duty.

CK_32
09-27-2011, 8:26 PM
It's not me I'm worried about :-P My calibers are 308 and 45acp.

And yes, she is holding the gun properly, with proper technique and, this last time we went out as a group, starting to work on proper breathing for long distance shooting.

*she doesn't like recoil*. She'll shoot the AR. It doesn't hurt her. She loves shooting (and thus i think she'll come around and get over it...especially when she gets tired of 300 yards and wants to move to the 900 range).

It's a stop-gap i'm looking for, and something to keep in my safe in case I encounter it again. The Savage was a calculated move to have a "non-evil" looking rifle...then i introduce the AR as we push to 200-300, then we get into the 308 rifles when they've completely fallen to the dark side.

I try and do it in such a manner that they bring their desires forward...she wants to shoot further, so that means a bigger round...which she had fun hitting at that distance, but complained about the recoil enough to downgrade back to 22lr, and then wanted to go back to the larger range but couldn't hit that far with 22lr..she was very sad, which is a bad thing for a new shooter...want to keep the experience happy as much as possible.

God thats one picky women! lol :D

tuna quesadilla
09-27-2011, 8:26 PM

Maybe the same way all of the female Service Rifle champions carry theirs?

If the rifle is balanced well, and the shooter has correct stance, weight is a nonissue.

tuna quesadilla
09-27-2011, 8:27 PM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/girls-with-guns-5.jpg

^^ NOT a light rifle ;)

zfields
09-27-2011, 8:30 PM
17HMR?

Caladain
09-27-2011, 8:33 PM
To reiterate..

She doesn't mind noise..i broke her in on a 22lr bolt action Savage mark 2.

Recoil doesn't "hurt" her with my AR...i don't even really feel it myself.

We wear in-the-ear and over-the-ear (29, 33db respectively) hearing protection. She actually likes the Boom of a large gun, and likes going rapid fire with my 10/22.

She's not *my* wife. She's the wife of my friend, and the pair are the 3rd couple i've converted to shooters :43:

She just *doesn't like* recoil...BUT, she is getting the Evil Black Rifle itch...she's falling in love with long distance plinking. She just doesn't like my Carbine's recoil.

HBAR 20-24 inch AR, Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield, Larue SPR QD mount, PRS/CTR stock, light BCG/buffer/springs, titan comp..maybe replace a freefloat tube with freefloat quad rails for added weight..

I went ahead and ordered a PAST pad..that may just make things better without getting another rifle for right now.

Caladain
09-27-2011, 8:33 PM
17HMR?

Or 22mag..it's the two i don't own. Can 17HMR hit out to 300 yards with a stock rifle?

CK_32
09-27-2011, 8:36 PM
To reiterate..

We wear in-the-ear and over-the-ear (29, 33db respectively) hearing protection. She actually likes the Boom of a large gun, and likes going rapid fire with my 10/22.

She's not *my* wife. She's the wife of my friend, and the pair are the 3rd couple i've converted to shooters :43:

She just *doesn't like* recoil...BUT, she is getting the Evil Black Rifle itch...she's falling in love with long distance plinking. She just doesn't like my Carbine's recoil.

HBAR 20-24 inch AR, Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield, Larue SPR QD mount, PRS/CTR stock, light BCG/buffer/springs, titan comp..maybe replace a freefloat tube with freefloat quad rails for added weight..

I went ahead and ordered a PAST pad..that may just make things better without getting another rifle for right now.

If she's not YOUR wife why you you spending all YOUR extra $$ for YOUR FRIENDS WIFE? That should be HER husbands job to find a rifle for HER...

Caladain
09-27-2011, 8:40 PM
If she's not YOUR wife why you you spending all YOUR extra $$ for her? That should be HER husbands job to find a rifle for HER...

7P's.

I'm taking lots of new shooters out and making shooters out of non-shooters. As i hit problems, i buy stuff to solve it for future converts :-) Thus, owning/sourcing the various handgun sizes/calibers to show, with side-by-side comparison, the difference 9/40/45 in glock, 9/40/45 xd, 1911, etc.

So, first time i've encountered this issue, and i'm just trying to source it. Making the first dozen trips to the range pleasant is one of the keys of my devious plan to make shooters of everyone. I don't even introduce them to cleaning the guns until near the very end :chris:

jimmykan
09-27-2011, 8:56 PM
Sherri Gallagher is awesome.

Hers has a rifle-length gas system, though, which to me feels "smoother" and not as "harsh" as carbine-length gas systems.

See if you can find something like that for her to shoot. Or a 223 bolt action rifle.

Bigtwin
09-27-2011, 9:07 PM
Caladain...I think it is great you are bringing more folks to the shooting/gun world (what I call the real world). All I can say for your perspective shooter is a pact or another personal recoil pad of some sort. Though I don't see why she wants it but if it helps her so be it!

Keep doing what you are doing...bringing others to the shooting world! We need as many good ones as we can get!

robcoe
09-27-2011, 9:23 PM
Or 22mag..it's the two i don't own. Can 17HMR hit out to 300 yards with a stock rifle?

It gets a bit tough(those light little rounds start hitting the brakes HARD as soon as they exit the barrel, and wind becomes a major factor).

You "can" hit at that range with a large target, and some practice shots, but it's definitly not as easy as a .223

I would look at a large, heavy .223 rifle, and definitly see if it's actualy the recoil thats the problem, admitidly I use a very heavy AR(all told, scope, bipod, loaded magazine, ect close to 11 pounds) but the recoil at least to me, does not seem to be noticeably greater than my 10/22.

Then again, I shoot a 10ga coach gun a lot, so take that for what it's worth.

IPSICK
09-27-2011, 9:36 PM
To reiterate..

It sounds more like she doesn't like the recoil impulse of your carbine. I say a good comp, longer gas system, lighter bcg, lighter buffer, and tuning your system with an adjustable gas block is still your best bet.

CK_32
09-27-2011, 10:04 PM
7P's.

I'm taking lots of new shooters out and making shooters out of non-shooters. As i hit problems, i buy stuff to solve it for future converts :-) Thus, owning/sourcing the various handgun sizes/calibers to show, with side-by-side comparison, the difference 9/40/45 in glock, 9/40/45 xd, 1911, etc.

So, first time i've encountered this issue, and i'm just trying to source it. Making the first dozen trips to the range pleasant is one of the keys of my devious plan to make shooters of everyone. I don't even introduce them to cleaning the guns until near the very end :chris:

Hahaha Im glad your a good sport and just seeing im just busting your balls. :rolleyes:

I say get a good battle comp and maybe a buffer spring and you should be good to go. I say the comp will solve most of the problem.

RONIN.
09-27-2011, 11:41 PM
http://spinstage.http.internapcdn.net/Spinstage/userdocs/products/l_452015120_1.jpg

As ugly as the thing is, I would say install a jp recoil eliminator on it.. the muzzle blast is only bad if you are standing in line with the muzzle.. which is bad news to begin with.. but if your behind the gun it is no louder then a a2.. the other ppll at the range with not like it, but oh well..

and good for you taking out new shooters and teaching the fundamentals to them..

ronin.

Coyotegunner
09-28-2011, 1:12 AM
My wife loves my 16" heavy barrel AR.She did not like having to operate a bolt gun,until I got her a Weatherby Accumark 243.Mounted a Nikon Monarch 4-16.It rings the plates at 325 yds better at the range than the 223.

starsnuffer
09-28-2011, 9:02 AM
It gets a bit tough(those light little rounds start hitting the brakes HARD as soon as they exit the barrel, and wind becomes a major factor).

You "can" hit at that range with a large target, and some practice shots, but it's definitly not as easy as a .223

I would look at a large, heavy .223 rifle, and definitly see if it's actualy the recoil thats the problem, admitidly I use a very heavy AR(all told, scope, bipod, loaded magazine, ect close to 11 pounds) but the recoil at least to me, does not seem to be noticeably greater than my 10/22.

Then again, I shoot a 10ga coach gun a lot, so take that for what it's worth.

.22 mag has identical ballistics to .223 out to 100 yards. After that there is significant drop off in accuracy and hold-over. Since most ranges in Cali only go to 100 yards anyway, it's still a viable option.

-W

Caladain
09-28-2011, 9:14 AM
Ah, well, work moved me out to NH a while ago, so I'm in the land of milk and honey as far as guns go...so these new shooters are a mix of NH and Mass people. I'll be rejoining the fight in cali soon enough. :-)

There's several 300 yard ranges in cali I though?

popeye4
09-28-2011, 9:44 AM
Get a rifle upper with a heavy barrel. Add stock weight and cuff weights as desired (if shooting from the bench, who cares how much it weighs?). I don't think the highpower guns weigh much more than 15 lbs (it is hard to hold up anything heavier for the 20 minutes of slow fire standing). Perhaps get an inexpensive shooting coat (though sizing might be an issue) and learn to use the M1907 sling. Teach her to "hold hard". I shoot an AR configured for highpower (as above), shooting 77gr and 80 gr bullets, and there is no recoil.

21SF
09-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Dude, adding a comp to a .223 is just going to make it louder, and much more intimidating.

If you want a AR that recoils very little, and has less intimidating blast, get the 24-26" bull barreled version. a PRS stock to make it balance a little better, skip any and all brakes, maybe put lead in the stock, and try the low mass buffers.

That should give you, if you add a BIG scope, like a 15-17 lbs bench rifle in .223. I bet I could put my balls against the stock, pull the trigger, and be cool.

Lol @ Ball on the stock!

robcoe
09-28-2011, 12:53 PM
.22 mag has identical ballistics to .223 out to 100 yards. After that there is significant drop off in accuracy and hold-over. Since most ranges in Cali only go to 100 yards anyway, it's still a viable option.

-W

I was specifically referring to the 300 yard shot question, at 100 yards I would have no reservations about a .17hmr for a new shooter.

Arteel
09-28-2011, 1:10 PM
Use steel cased ammunition. :hide:

Jeffy
09-28-2011, 1:16 PM
I'd look at something like a National Match 20", like the NM RRA's A4. The rifle gas system, heaver rifle buffer and stock as well. Not to mention the additional weight and balance of the rifle. Not too expensive nor fancy.

integraracer157
09-28-2011, 3:08 PM
for my 10 y.o. daughter, I just load them down. If you reload you'd be surprised how much you can reduce a load and functions great, and a little better accuracy. Food for thought. My daughter also loves my Glock 19, Tightgroup 4.0 grns and 124 gr berrys plated. nice low recoil, functions great, and im not throwing brass 2 benches over.

starsnuffer
09-28-2011, 3:12 PM
for my 10 y.o. daughter, I just load them down. If you reload you'd be surprised how much you can reduce a load and functions great, and a little better accuracy. Food for thought. My daughter also loves my Glock 19, Tightgroup 4.0 grns and 124 gr berrys plated. nice low recoil, functions great, and im not throwing brass 2 benches over.

That's a good point.

Are you shooting 5.56 or .223 out of it?

-W

jgraham15
10-01-2011, 7:46 AM
I have taught quite a few people to shoot and I had a similar problems with one of my friends girlfriends. She just didn't like the recoil of the AR but she really wanted to shoot them. I had her try all 3 of mine chambered in 5.56 (the other 2 are 6.8) and she didn't like shooting any of them.

I remembered that a few years back I bought a Sabre Defence "Gill" muzzle brake and didn't like it because it was just too loud. But I remembered how well it worked to reduce recoil so the next time we went to the range I had her shoot one of the AR's with the gill on it. She absolutely loved it!

After she shot a couple hundred rounds with it she got the guts to shoot one of the 6.8's (not like the recoil is that much different from a 5.56) and she ended up loving that AR. Needless to say, now she owns her own AR and shoots out to the 600 yard steel at Angeles all the time.

I don't know if you can still find them for sale used but if you can someone will probably be parting with it pretty cheap.

Here's a pic of mine

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh175/jg15photo/for%20sale/IMG_0630.jpg

sekatoa
10-01-2011, 7:57 AM
What about a Mako recoil reducing stock? http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GL-SHOCKCP&Category_Code=_STKS
I've been considering getting one for my son (10) to use on the AR we built together, but just haven't sprung for it yet. The Ceiner .22 LR conversion unit works well too, he prefered that over shooting it as 5.56. He did handle the 5.56 setup fine, but had more gun shooting the .22 LR.