PDA

View Full Version : What would cause a Mini-14 to double?

Kestryll
09-27-2011, 2:23 PM
So there's this Mini-14, 196 Series, that the last time it went to the range was double firing randomly, sometimes it would fire normally and then twice it double fired.

This Mini-14 sits alone in pieces until a remedy can be found for it's ailment, anyone have any suggestions?

3GunFunShooter
09-27-2011, 2:26 PM
I would go to www.perfectunion.com, in the Mini forums. There are over 130,000 postings about the Mini's. It is the source for all Mini information.

Josh3239
09-27-2011, 2:49 PM
I can't think of anything that would cause it outside of the fire control group or bolt group. I have almost zero experience with those rifles, but if your familiar with the fire control group I'd inspect it and try a function check. Additionally I'd make sure the firing pin isn't stuck forward (if that is even possible on those rifles). I don't think soft primers can cause that problem but it can make that problem worse. Try calling Ruger, I am sure someone can talk you through the process of checking.

E Pluribus Unum
09-27-2011, 2:54 PM
So there's this Mini-14, 196 Series, that the last time it went to the range was double firing randomly, sometimes it would fire normally and then twice it double fired.

This Mini-14 sits alone in pieces until a remedy can be found for it's ailment, anyone have any suggestions?

Worn Hammer... worn disconnector... hair trigger causing an accidental "bump fire".

One thing is for sure... people have gotten into trouble with malfunctioning "doubling" rifles as legally there is no difference between an illegal full auto weapon that intentionally doubles... and an otherwise legal rifle that just happens to double.... I wouldn't post it here...

Milsurps
09-27-2011, 2:55 PM
Free floating firing pin. Make sure it moves freely, clean and lightly oiled. If it were an SKS that's problem more offten than not. Good luck

Kestryll
09-27-2011, 2:59 PM
Worn Hammer... worn disconnector... hair trigger causing an accidental "bump fire".

One thing is for sure... people have gotten into trouble with malfunctioning "doubling" rifles as legally there is no difference between an illegal full auto weapon that intentionally doubles... and an otherwise legal rifle that just happens to double.... I wouldn't post it here...

Oh I know, I'm not talking about MY rifle I'm just telling the tale of a forlorn and lonely Mini with a problem....

sevensix2x51
09-27-2011, 3:13 PM
I keep the firing pin in my mini dry, because I do not want to attract any grime into it. I would definitely tear it down and clean/inspect the whole assembly to make sure everything is clean. IIRC, it breaks down pretty easy.

If I were looking into why a mini were doubling, I would definitely check the interference (for lack of a better word) between the hammer and disconnector. Do you know if the shooter had the hammer depressed when it would double (target shooter followthrough style), or let off quickly? It has been more than a few years since I took my trigger pack apart, so I can't visualize how the parts lock together, but if memory serves, it is a lot like the garand. Does the rifle have hammer follow issues as well, that don't ignite the primer?

mattt
09-27-2011, 4:47 PM
To many posts not enough rifle maint.Just kidding.I have a few mini 14/30 and the sear can wear and cause this.

Cole125
09-27-2011, 5:35 PM
Another possible problem is the magazine, with the Mini 14 you need to stick with factory magazines.

arsilva32
09-27-2011, 6:23 PM
+1 for a worn sear. i had this problem years ago with my mini, it wouldn't do it everytime only every now and then, but after i replaced the sear it never did it again.

Bhobbs
09-27-2011, 6:25 PM
Too many re-runs of The A-Team and wishing it was an AC556?

Haha.

I would check the firing pin to see if it was clean, then move to the disconnector and sear to see if they were worn.

bohoki
09-27-2011, 6:31 PM
make sure the firing pin is factory installed

many places sell a replacement firing pin and they are all unsafe

the floating firing pin on a ruger is reset in the receiver before going into battery and must have close tolerances

a 196 is pretty new for disconnector or trigger problems but its not unheard of

call the factory and ship it back that is the problem with mini 14s they are not user serviceable like an ar15clone

Rob454
09-27-2011, 9:01 PM
Firing pin sticking or the guy accidentally bump firing from the shoulder? Does the shooter have a good grip on the gun? I used to be able to bumpfire my SKS from the shoulder if I held it just right every once in a while

dfletcher
09-27-2011, 9:20 PM
Oh I know, I'm not talking about MY rifle I'm just telling the tale of a forlorn and lonely Mini with a problem....

Perhaps the rifle's trigger was improperly reassembled - those two spring legs should be looped over the pin, sometimes folks leave one or both down. It would be unusual for one of the legs to break but I suppose anything's possible.

Dhena81
09-27-2011, 9:26 PM
Are you possibly shooting ammo with soft primers and getting slamfires.

Seesm
09-28-2011, 1:19 AM
^probably not but possible.. How many round does said Mini have run through it? I have a few minis around the shop I can send you a trigger group to pop in and test again.. lol Disconnector sounds worn to me.. Any qork done on said trigger group ever... Lightened up?

yamaha415
09-28-2011, 8:02 AM
Heard of this happening with lightend target triggers. If the stock wasnt tight into the sholder it would bump fire ever now and then. Also check the back of the hammer and make sure it isnt warn down where the disconector is not catching it or vise versa.

tony stark
10-02-2011, 4:33 PM
maybe not trapping the trigger back upon firing?

rjf
10-02-2011, 5:26 PM
Clean the trigger group. Make sure the hammer catches back properly. Too much grease or oil can cause the hammer to slip.

kwansao
10-03-2011, 3:42 AM
Milking the trigger, sensitive primers...

Worn sear, stuck firing pin?

No significant difference from the m1, right?

jgraham15
10-03-2011, 4:15 AM
You aren't too far from me, I'm in Granada hills. I have a mini that gets almost no use that you could use to swap parts to yours and see what fixes it.

Sorry, I'm a little tired so hopefully that makes sense.

gun toting monkeyboy
10-03-2011, 11:11 AM
I had this happen to me once back in college. I wasn't sure that it had doubled until I pulled the target in. It was a fresh target, and there, plain as day, were two bullet holes, almost touching. Best group I have ever gotten out of a mini. Freaked me out. I popped it open and looked at the trigger group, and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I put it back in and tried to replicate it, but I couldn't. It has behaved for almost 20 years without another one.

As the other posters have suggested, I would have whoever owns this hypothetical mini take it down, clean it, and check for wear. And I would also try it again after you have cleaned it to see if it does it again. If it does, it is time to take it in to a qualified smith.

-Mb