View Full Version : Remington 700 fire on bolt closing, turning safety off

09-27-2011, 2:15 PM
Remington 700 fire on bolt closing, turning safety off.

There have been a few other threads on this Remington 700 problem. This is another take on that.

I recently took a Remington 700 ADL (.30-06) out of storage. During the course of preparing for transport, I opened and closed the bolt. Upon closing the bolt, the firing pin released when the bolt reached the closed and locked position. This was a repeatable condition, not a one time thing. I also opened the bolt and turned on the safety, the firing pin did not release on bolt closing, but did release when the safety was turned off.

This was repeated several times. It was not a one time only.

In the course of examining the rifle, I was unable to determine a cause. Not being in a location that I could do additional trouble shooting, I prepared the rifle for transport. This required removing the action from the stock, The main stock screw was removed first, then the trigger guard screws. At the same time I finally remembered how to remove the bolt, and I did so. Just for curiosity, I opened and closed the bolt with the rifle out of the stock. The firing pin did not release. I reassembled the rifle and it did not repeat.

As I am writing this from memory, there are additional possibilities. For example, it is possible that I loosened the main stock screw, but not the trigger guard screws, or removed the bolt, when the condition no longer occurred. I was not paying attention to the problem as I was concentrating on removing the action and barrel from the stock. I recall that the force to unscrew the main stock screw was significant, but I was using a swiss army knife as the screwdriver.

The rifle was purchased used by me in the mid 90's. I have not modified the rifle, or even fired it. The trigger adjustment screws do not have loctite on them, but are covered with a yellow colored cellophane tape (not discolored from age), possibly kapton tape. A scope is mounted on the rifle.Trigger pull feels stronger then that required for a Glock 17.

The rifle was literally untouched for about 5 years, and probably seven or eight years since the bolt was opened and closed. While it was stored indoors, it was not in a climate-controlled environment, subject to temperature extremes of about 30 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

The only thing that I can think of is that over time, the changes in temperature and different expansion rates between the metal and the wood created this condition. And the loosening of the screws released the tension created by this expansion mismatch. And the tension created the condition that caused the firing pin to release on bolt closing or turning off the safety.

Any questions or ideas?

09-27-2011, 2:28 PM
i would recommend contacting Remington directly.

IIRC, there were some safety issues with some model rem 700.

09-27-2011, 2:34 PM
Yup, contact Remington. See what they say. Don't know what they can do now since it is not happening anymore though.

09-27-2011, 2:36 PM
There was a recall on them. Contact remington

09-27-2011, 2:49 PM
The only time I've seen this happen is when a stock trigger was incorrectly "adjusted" by someone.

As others have said, contact Remington.

09-29-2011, 5:11 PM
Sear engagement and trigger return spring pressure are the two main contributors to this. Get it checked out. Any good gun smith can do a good cleaning and check these adjustments.

09-29-2011, 8:38 PM
The only time I've seen this happen is when a stock trigger was incorrectly "adjusted" by someone.

As others have said, contact Remington.

Agree 100%, as I have recently recieved a rem700, with a trigger that would do the same (fire upon closing the bolt).

I have fixed the problem with much research and my ability to perform basic tasks(and then some).

In the long run sombody made adjustments to the trigger that were not needed or recomended.

If you are not expierenced or confident enough(dont feel like you should be), to fix the problem, do the right thing and send it back to Remington.

09-30-2011, 2:31 PM
All of the above posts

10-01-2011, 12:55 AM
It's called a "Remington Moment". It's a well documented occurence and few have been killed by it .

10-01-2011, 7:06 AM
Remington advertises that they have a new trigger but in the past
I know they could fire from closing the bolt or pushing off the safety.

Years ago I bought a new 700 mountain rifle that would fire when I pushed the safety off. It was brand new never been messed with. I returned it to the dealer for exchange and he gave a Browning A-Bolt. I never trusted the 700 after that especially after learned about the lawsuits over the same issue.