PDA

View Full Version : Scope wont move far enough to right

TROYSD
09-27-2011, 1:02 PM
i put a new leupold 3-9 vxII on a new ruger 77 308. at fifty yards it was shooting about 9 inches to the left. when i adjusted it within one inch of center the scope adjustment bottomed out. any ideas. im going to remount
it and try again.

Matt P
09-27-2011, 2:42 PM
Make sure to leave your mount bases slightly loose as you set the scope into the rings.
Use adhesive paper like from labels to lay on the inside of your rings. This material will function like friction paper. It helps keep from scarring the body, and provides more resistance.
Pull your bolt, and bore sight the sight enhancement.
Are just a few of my suggestions.
I assume you are using Ruger rings with their series of dedicated bases?
Milletts with the windage adjustment through the bases can also be benefiical.

TROYSD
09-27-2011, 2:47 PM
thanks , wont the paper absorb moisture, and effect it later

bohoki
09-27-2011, 7:22 PM
if its like a mini 14 change the back ring for the front ring

sonnyt650
09-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Check if the scope body is bent even though it can be pretty hard to detect. One way to do it if you have several Weaver-style scope rings of the same height is to try to mount that scope with three or more rings. When the rings are set on a rail, a bent scope will only seat easily in two of three rings, while a straight scope will drop nicely into all three.

TROYSD
09-29-2011, 9:27 AM
THE scope body doesnt seem to be bent. i havent tried to re mount it yet. thanks

Eljay
09-29-2011, 1:17 PM
The windage adjustable Millets definitely work. You might also think about if you tightened the two rings more or less identically - I've seen some cases where one was a bit loose and the scope ended up at a bit of an angle.

TROYSD
09-30-2011, 11:18 AM
im going to try again this weekend

mkane
09-30-2011, 2:25 PM
Use Burris Z ring's with offset inserts.

LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
09-30-2011, 3:31 PM
Use Burris Z ring's with offset inserts.

If you really have a problem, this is a good solution.

Coyotegunner
09-30-2011, 4:57 PM
Interesting.I have ran into the same problem before with a Ruger and a VX2 3-9.Leupold cust.service said it was as simple as the scope not having enough adjustment.Ruger cust.service told me I had a scope problem.They were both wrong sort of.The scope worked fine on a Browning I put it on.Mounted a BSA tactical cheap scope on the Ruger,with a load of adjustment.With the adjuster cranked as far as it would go,I was still 3/4" left at 50 yds.I do not own that rifle anymore.I want to see how this plays out.Owning many rifles, including several Ruger 77-22s and 1022s.I have sold more than 10 of the big bores for various issues with accuracy.I keep looking at the new ones,with hammer forged barrels and wonder if I should give Ruger another shot.I like the Z ring idea for getting say 20 MOA of lift,without going to a mount.But,seriously to change right to left.Try another scope.If the problem is there still,Contact Ruger for a call tag on their dime.If the problem is in the reciever,WOW.How about the barrel set,WOW.Just for everyones info.I purchased a brand new Red Label 3 years ago at Turners and in the first 21 rounds fired,there was so much of the shell brass shaved off into the lower firing pin hole,it failed to fire.Chamber was to tight to the reciever when closed.After 2 trips back and forth to get it right.They finally did.The deep vise jaw marks(they are UGLY) on the chamber will always be a reminder of their quality and professionalism of their repair shop.Keep in mind folks reading this it was a $1350 plus tax/dros shotgun.

TROYSD
10-04-2011, 8:14 AM
i remounted it , and it zeroed right in. the little torx wrench that leupold sends with the scope is a pos. by tighening the screws the ind of the wrench almost twisted all the way off. luckily i had a socket that size, which broke on the first screw. and i wasnt over tighening.

FLIGHT762
10-04-2011, 8:28 AM
The Torx scope ring screws should only be tightened to about 20 inch #. If you don't have a torque wrench, you can take that little wrench that Leupold supplies.

Using the LONG end of the wrench in the screw socket and turning with the SHORT end. You tighten as much as you can with that short end. By the time it starts to hurt you thumb and finger, it is about 20 inch #. Any tighter than that and it is TOO TIGHT, you can damage your scope tube.

That is as tight as you need to tighten the ring screws. It doesn't seem like it would be tight enough, but it is. Don't tighten it any further, you'll break something.

Coyotegunner
10-04-2011, 9:05 AM
Glad to here you got it zeroed.Sorry to sound down on Ruger before.I have several of their 22 pistols,77-22s,1022s.Sold all the big rifles.