PDA

View Full Version : .

Commi714
09-27-2011, 1:46 PM
alright thanks

thomasesmith3
09-27-2011, 1:59 PM
I went with mid-length on my 16" barrel upper, smoother shooting and 9 inches of rail is plenty long enough for any configuration...

bender152
09-27-2011, 3:34 PM
The information is out there as long as you're at least willing to look for it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_Assemble_your_own_LOWER__UPPER__FREE_FLOAT_ _TRIGGER__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.h tml

dieselpower
09-27-2011, 6:02 PM
are you looking to build a Dissipator which is a 16" barrel with 90% of the barrel covered by the rail? If yes I can give you a step by step. If not I can still do it I just need to know what you want the final rifle to look like.

Post a pic of your ultimate rifle. we will tell you want you need to buy and how to build it.

HKDoc
09-27-2011, 6:13 PM
If you want a di system, the Daniel defense v5 upper looked pretty sweet. The workmanship on their rails is top notch.

KaLiFORNIA
09-27-2011, 6:36 PM
I wanted the same thing, had a Daniel defense v2 with a carbine length omega x ( before all the other versions were out). Went for the DD lite 12.0 rail, its 100% gtg imho.

KaLiFORNIA
09-27-2011, 6:44 PM
1.) Remove front sight/ gas block/ muzzle device
2.) Remove hand guards/ rail
3.) Depending on what real you go for you may or may not have to remove the barrel nut
4) install rail
5.) Don't forget any proprietary wrenches you may need.....

Tangorox
09-27-2011, 9:52 PM
are you looking to build a Dissipator which is a 16" barrel with 90% of the barrel covered by the rail? If yes I can give you a step by step. If not I can still do it I just need to know what you want the final rifle to look like.

Post a pic of your ultimate rifle. we will tell you want you need to buy and how to build it.
Hey DieselP...I am interested on the Dissipator. You can PM me the step by step on how to assemble it. I have a KAC M5 RAS and I am building around it a 16" midlength gas system. I am looking at the 16" Centurion HF barrel.
Thanks.

Commi714
09-27-2011, 10:50 PM

so what i wanna do is buy a del ton upper (budget) then i want to get rid of the front sight/gasblock (i already have flip up sights) so i want to put on a low profile gas block and add a full length rail system

Can it be done? and what is needed
im planning on doing this on a low budget as it is my first AR

im looking to make something like the one in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVOLiRi-37o

Commi714
09-27-2011, 11:07 PM
im thinking of just sticking some full length utg rail on a 16inch upper and then going from there how can i do that

tomd1584
09-27-2011, 11:51 PM
im thinking of just sticking some full length utg rail on a 16inch upper and then going from there how can i do that

IMO, removing the FSB (reliable) for a UTG rail and flip up sights is a HUGE mistake.

please use some common sense here. don't waste money with cheap parts just to get the 'look'.

Don29palms
09-28-2011, 5:32 AM
It always makes me wonder. People come on these forums and talk about building or modifying an AR with the cheapiest, crappiest parts possible and then will ask how to fix the problems they are having. QUALITY ARs are not cheap. QUALITY parts are not cheap. Buying cheap parts will cost more money in the long run.

dieselpower
09-28-2011, 6:35 AM
Hey DieselP...I am interested on the Dissipator. You can PM me the step by step on how to assemble it. I have a KAC M5 RAS and I am building around it a 16" midlength gas system. I am looking at the 16" Centurion HF barrel.
Thanks.
You would need to have a Gunsmith mount an FSB/handguard cap on the barrel to use the KAC M5 RAS or get a free floating rifle length handguard rail that doesnt require a handguard cap. RAS installation (http://www.quarterbore.com/kac/kacrisras.html) Look at CMMG M10 mid gas barrels. They have the FSB/handguard cap already where you need it and is a dissy style barrel with a low pro-gas block already attached. HERE. (http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/16-inch-MedCon-Hammer-Forged-M10M-5.56-Barrel-1767)

so what i wanna do is buy a del ton upper (budget) then i want to get rid of the front sight/gasblock (i already have flip up sights) so i want to put on a low profile gas block and add a full length rail system

Can it be done? and what is needed
im planning on doing this on a low budget as it is my first AR

im looking to make something like the one in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVOLiRi-37o

yeah thats a Dissy. The problem will be you must remove the FSB to install the Free Float barrel nut (after removing the original barrel nut). They will not slip over a gas block, even a low profile gas block. To my knowledge no one has made one small enough to allow the barrel nuts to slip over. You would need to first remove the muzzle device since that will not slide over that, pound out the FSB pins, slide that off, take off the barrel nut, slide that off, use slip-ring pliers to remove the barrel ring, weld spring and Delta, place the barrel back in, slide the Free float barrel nut on, tighten down, cut the BUIS tower off of the FSB making it a low profile gas block, slide it on and gas tube, screw the Free Float handguards on, then install the muzzle device.

Or you can get a Daniel Defense two piece Free Float system that doesnt require sliding the barrel nut on the barrel. They clamp around the existing barrel nut. So all you would need to do is use a dremil to cut off the BUIS tower from the gas block and the handguard cap. Pics on how to (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?65-Daniel-Defense-OMEGA-Rail-install-guide-and-pictorial-review)

They also make one where the carbine FSB pops out the top, but thats not a Dissy.

dont do that...

It always makes me wonder. People come on these forums and talk about building or modifying an AR with the cheapiest, crappiest parts possible and then will ask how to fix the problems they are having. QUALITY ARs are not cheap. QUALITY parts are not cheap. Buying cheap parts will cost more money in the long run.

+1. A cheap AR15 build using UTG will cause problems. You can save money and buy slightly used QUALITY parts for nearly the same cost as the airsoft fake stuff.

My Carbine to Dissy mod took $250 after all was paid out. I have a perm brake so I needed to cut off the FSB and install a YHM specter 2-piece gas block. I also used a HK type 2-piece clamp on BUIS. Clamp on 2 piece systems are NOT as secure as pinned, but I know the risks and plan for them with a maintenance schedule and proper installation.

tacticalcity
09-28-2011, 6:47 AM
If you're new to ARs, it is best to buy the upper the way you want it. Let a professional build it right. Don't try and swap out critical components like gas blocks on your own. Stick to things that are meant to be removed and added by non-gunsmiths like drop in rails or flip-up sights. You can't just swap out the front sight post for a low profile gas block. Not easily. Plus it leaves a real ugly scar on the barrel.

There are drop-in rails that will go around the front sight post if you have a regular M4 or carbine length gas system. So that is an option. They look good to me. Especially the Daniel Defense Omega line.

I would point out that a full length rail adds a great deal of weight, so it's not always the smartest option. It definately looks sexy, but it's heavy. This coming from a guy who owns an AR will a full length free floating rail and a regular M4 carbine. If I have to lug it around all day, I want the lighter M4. It is really common for guys to want things because they look cool, only to find out that it doesn't fit the way they actually use their rifle. One of the smartest AR accessories to come along in a while is the MAGPUL MOE FOREND. It is light weight, lets you add grips and lights, and is inexpensive. It's just not as sexy looking. A lot of operators are using them because they realize it fits the way they run their rifle better than a metal rail.