PDA

View Full Version : Need bolt carrier help asap

wisefire
09-27-2011, 1:26 PM
EDIT: I took a closer look and it seems like the gas ring is getting stuck or jam on something, so I took off the gas ring and the bolt went in fine. Does that mean I need to replace the gas rings?

I just got my AR upper from PSA today, so I took out the bolt carrier to lube it, everything went fine until I tried to reassemble it. I can't get the bolt to go in the carrier all the way, am I doing something wrong, I don't want to hammer it in.

https://files.me.com/ronotran/yncx0f
http://files.me.com/ronotran/663rky

Noobert
09-27-2011, 1:27 PM
You got any better pictures?

SJgunguy24
09-27-2011, 1:29 PM
Did you replace the locking block and cotter pin? If so then you just drop the carrier into the upper.

john.t.singh
09-27-2011, 1:30 PM
stupid question but you have the retaining pin out right? i can't see it in your picture... had to ask.

sniper4usmc
09-27-2011, 1:33 PM
make sure extractor pin is flush

seainc
09-27-2011, 1:33 PM
Here (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ar+bolt+carrier+assembly+instruction)

wisefire
09-27-2011, 1:37 PM
just enlarge the picture, the bolt wont go in enough for me to put in the bolt cam pin

CK_32
09-27-2011, 1:46 PM
Look up how to lube a AR 15 bolt or how to assemble. There should be a video step by step. Your probably just installed something wrong.

wisefire
09-27-2011, 1:53 PM
I took a closer look and it seems like the gas ring is getting stuck or jam on something, so I took off the gas ring and the bolt went in fine. Does that mean I need to replace the gas rings?

Long Rifle
09-27-2011, 2:05 PM
Look closely at your carrier. From your own pics it looks like there's a little screw in the upper gas vent that may have fallen in accidentally. Pull it off and try it again.

21SF
09-27-2011, 2:09 PM
do you have the little pin with the flat top that turns to lock the bolt in on before you try to stick the bolt in the carrier?

There should be nothing on the carrier at all when inserting the bolt.

wisefire
09-27-2011, 2:19 PM
Theres nothing inside the carrier, the bolt goes in perfectly fine without the gas ring, but wont go in with the gas rings? Anyone around the SF has extra gas ring for me to try?

21SF
09-27-2011, 2:21 PM
The little sheet metal rings ?

Or the extractor O-ring

wisefire
09-27-2011, 2:49 PM
The little sheet metal rings ?

Or the extractor O-ring

The 3 gas ring on the bolt

joelogic
09-27-2011, 3:04 PM
The bolt should be tight in the carrier. If it were loose then that is when you replace the rings. Where are you located?

wash
09-27-2011, 3:14 PM
Some times you have to wiggle it.

Try that.

Shellshocker66
09-27-2011, 3:16 PM
If I had my video camera back (long story that involves a dog who likes to steal and hide) I would show you a video of how to take apart and put back together a PSA bolt. But from looking at your pictures (which are bad) your rings looks just like mine. Here is a video that might help you. itP5y_tZAEQ

wisefire
09-27-2011, 4:10 PM
So i finally got it in, but I had to take all 3 gas ring out and compress them a bit to make them smaller. Is being a bit tight going to cause any issue down the line or will it loosen up a bit after some range time? I'm assuming this isn't a common problem since everyone think that I did something wrong in trying to put the bolt into the carrier. :rolleyes:

GMG
09-27-2011, 4:10 PM
Look closely at your carrier. From your own pics it looks like there's a little screw in the upper gas vent that may have fallen in accidentally. Pull it off and try it again.

I see what your talking about, don't know why the OP doesn't see it.

GMG
09-27-2011, 4:22 PM
So i finally got it in, but I had to take all 3 gas ring out and compress them a bit to make them smaller. Is being a bit tight going to cause any issue down the line or will it loosen up a bit after some range time? I'm assuming this isn't a common problem since everyone think that I did something wrong in trying to put the bolt into the carrier. :rolleyes:

The gas rings should have a snug fit in the carrier.

wisefire
09-27-2011, 4:22 PM
I see what your talking about, don't know why the OP doesn't see it.
There is no screw, don't know why the picture came out like that

Army
09-28-2011, 8:34 AM
Insert bolt...with UNALTERED RINGS..when it "sticks" give it a whack. It will drop right in. This is normal.

The "stick" is the rings trying to compress normally. The whack will seat them.

Heretodaygonetomorrow
09-28-2011, 1:35 PM
That isn't a screw in the gas relief port. It looks like the split end of the firing pin retaining pin.

If you look closely at the photos, the end of the firing pin retaining pin is not visible in the correct hole.

The bolt is not assembled correctly to the bolt carrier.

AR-15 Rep
09-28-2011, 5:54 PM
How many rounds on this setup? better pictures would help... Extractor looks a bit funny, I think a better picture would help. Also the cam pin only goes in from one direction of the bolt, your picture looks like the bolt was 180 off. The gas rings I would not mess with, they are supposed to be a good snug fit.

Brown Rock
09-28-2011, 8:05 PM
Mine is like that too, PSA bcg. Sometimes I have trouble getting the bolt back into the carrier. You just have to play with it a little.