PDA

View Full Version : .410 Pepperbox legal in Kalifornistan ?

OC-Indian
09-27-2011, 9:56 AM
I know the Judge revolver can be registered as an AOW, but can the .410 Pepperbox be registered? It's a rotating cylinder BUT it's rotated by hand not the action of shooting. Just wondering

ke6guj
09-27-2011, 10:10 AM
If you can get it set up into an AOW configuration, I don't see why not. You'd also have to deal with the roster, so you'd need to figure out a way to make it roster-exempt.

Curley Red
09-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I thought those type of firearms were looked at as if they were a sawed off shotgun. No matter what type of configuration the barrel or barrels are in.

ke6guj
09-27-2011, 10:57 AM
I thought those type of firearms were looked at as if they were a sawed off shotgun. No matter what type of configuration the barrel or barrels are in.

CA says that any firearm that can shoot a fixed shotgun shell and has a <18" barrel is a CA-defined SBS. However, CA says that any properly registered federally-defined AOW is exempt from CA's SBS law. So configure that pepperbox or Taurus Judge into an AOW config, with the proper paperwork, and it is exempt from CA's SBS laws.

JeremyS
09-27-2011, 11:26 AM
If it's a registered AOW, why does the roster have anything to do with anything? It's no longer a handgun, correct? And, being federally approved, doesn't California sort of have to accept it?

...now you just have to figure out how to put a vertical foregrip on the pepperbox and go through the AOW process and setting up a trust, etc etc.... lots of work!!!

ke6guj
09-27-2011, 12:25 PM
If it's a registered AOW, why does the roster have anything to do with anything? It's no longer a handgun, correct? And, being federally approved, doesn't California sort of have to accept it?
!!
per federal law it might not be a handgun anymore, but per my understanding of CA law, it is still a handgun, and as such must comply with both the Roster and the AW regs. Otherwise we would be able to run our AOW'ed AR-pistols with detachable magazines, but CA law says that anything with a <16" barrel is considered a handgun, and does not have an AOW exemption to the roster or AW laws.

Distro
09-27-2011, 12:31 PM
It will probably look similar to this.
http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=469852&highlight=judge

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s9/gunrunner99/IMG_4746.jpg

Quiet
09-27-2011, 12:51 PM
If it was a muzzle loading blackpowder pepperbox it would be CA legal.