PDA

View Full Version : Red dot for S&W 629

mwunsch
09-27-2011, 8:22 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for a red dot for a sw 629?

any thoughts?

basically a pig/bear gun/home defense.

.44 mag 6 inch barrel.

thanx in advance
mike

rdubya
09-27-2011, 1:47 PM
How much research do you want to do?
Your basic concerns would be
1 Cost
2 reliablilty
3 size
How much you spend has a lot to do with the other two. It is a 44 mag a cheap clone will not withstand the recoil and you know it will fail just when you need it the most. Because it is a pistol, I don't believe you want a large scope sitting on top. I had a 686 with a 2x IER and it took a little getting use to the height above the sight line (I would say forget HD in this case). I have a couple of Aimpoints (Compc2 and C3)that are pretty much indistructable but are bulky. The micro is a nice size but pricey. EOTech is another viable choice the XPS2o looks small enough. Check out the J point, Burris, Insight Technologhy or Doctor they are all lightweight, compact and very reliable. Remember to also check out what kind of mounting system you will need with your choice. Some require just the removal of the rear sight while some may require machining the top strap. If you decided to machine for a mount some compitition shooters are mounting the red dot between the front/rear iron so they will co-witness if the red dot fails. Good luck with your adventure.

21SF
09-27-2011, 2:43 PM
Aimpoint T1

mwunsch
09-27-2011, 8:47 PM
How much research do you want to do?
Your basic concerns would be
1 Cost
2 reliablilty
3 size
How much you spend has a lot to do with the other two. It is a 44 mag a cheap clone will not withstand the recoil and you know it will fail just when you need it the most. Because it is a pistol, I don't believe you want a large scope sitting on top. I had a 686 with a 2x IER and it took a little getting use to the height above the sight line (I would say forget HD in this case). I have a couple of Aimpoints (Compc2 and C3)that are pretty much indistructable but are bulky. The micro is a nice size but pricey. EOTech is another viable choice the XPS2o looks small enough. Check out the J point, Burris, Insight Technologhy or Doctor they are all lightweight, compact and very reliable. Remember to also check out what kind of mounting system you will need with your choice. Some require just the removal of the rear sight while some may require machining the top strap. If you decided to machine for a mount some compitition shooters are mounting the red dot between the front/rear iron so they will co-witness if the red dot fails. Good luck with your adventure.

1. Id spend money on a good, medium level sight. Dont need the highest dollar, but dont want a cheap one. You get what you pay for in life, so I dont mind spending the extra dineros.
2. Has to be reliable, for bears, pigs, home defense, therefore, will spend the xtra $
3. as small as possible, I hunt in gnarly areas and it cant snag or hit something.

22popnsplat
09-28-2011, 3:29 PM
I personally would never put a red dot on a personal defense handgun or one used for hunting dangerous game . If you decide to do so I would do the research and buy nothing but the best .

R_L_S
09-28-2011, 3:39 PM
basically a pig/bear gun/home defense.

.44 mag 6 inch barrel.

thanx in advance
mike

I want a man-bear-pig gun too!!

chsk9
09-28-2011, 4:23 PM
Tijicon RMR reflex. Shot a Glock 17 with one and it was awesome. I'm going to be mounting one on my 629 as soon as I can rationalize spending almost $600 on a sight.