PDA

View Full Version : What would cause this???

tvfreakarms
09-26-2011, 11:52 PM
What would cause this to happen? It's a piston AR. The gas is vented on the barrel. Any ideas? Anyone else experience something like this before.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/tvfreakazoid/pofbarrel.jpg

Nathan Krynn
09-27-2011, 6:27 AM
You can see on your pic how it happens. After the gas block there are two holes and gas is venting out the first one and maybe out the second. You can see on the barrel at that spot and around that first hole there is the dark circle from hot gas.

What kit is that anyway?

darkest2000
09-27-2011, 6:32 AM
from lack of cleaning?

goodlookin1
09-27-2011, 6:37 AM
Ya, that's a terrible design. The gas block looks like it might be a CMMG or something. I'm not sure. What's also strange is that the gas rod that the op rod slides back and forth over is really long, almost like a full length piston system, not a short stroke system. Doesnt make sense why the vent would be going right into the barrel, heating it up and obviously wearing it out.

Bad design. Never seen one like that before!

My Adams Arms piston system's gas is distributed evenly out the end of the gas block's male end, where the op rod slips over it, not through a little hole like your picture. Sure, I get some carbon buildup on the barrel, but nothing significant, and certainly nothing that would damage or heat the barrel to the point of instability.

joelogic
09-27-2011, 6:39 AM
Combustion creates water, right? Even in front of the gas block it looks like there is some rust.

Fate
09-27-2011, 7:45 AM
The fluted barrel isn't doing you any favors either. Creates a little bathtub for any condensation to sit in.

chead
09-27-2011, 8:00 AM
from lack of cleaning?

No way, that is not normal and if it's rusting like that no amount of cleaning is going to prevent it.

CK_32
09-27-2011, 8:02 AM
from lack of cleaning?

That what I was going to say. That's nasty.

Reminds me of that barried glock for 15 years.

Dark Mod
09-27-2011, 8:04 AM
What kind of finish is that? ive never seen gasses eat away a finish like that and rust the crap out of a barrel before

Caladain
09-27-2011, 8:38 AM
Parts list please.
If a complete rifle (Ex. Stag Model 8), please give enough info to identify the exact model.
If a custom build, please list all the parts you put in it.

A story of how it came to be would be nice too. Did you come home after a range trip and it was rusted, or you found it, or you're going for an Adeptus Mechanicus look for your rifle, or?

Maybe the barrel didn't get a finish? My piston AR is a Stag, and i'd be on the phone with them in a heart beat if my rifle rusted overnight or after a range trip like the one in the photo..but i somehow doubt that's what's happened here.

Jpach
09-27-2011, 10:40 AM
That is very odd.

Perhaps its a 5.45 piston AR?

Other than that, I cant imagine how that barrel is rusting.

SJgunguy24
09-27-2011, 10:52 AM
What would cause this to happen? It's a piston AR. The gas is vented on the barrel. Any ideas? Anyone else experience something like this before.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/tvfreakazoid/pofbarrel.jpg

Heat. I don't know of anything that will stand up to the repeated blast of hot combustion gases. Think about it, the barrel gets hot, really hot. Now your basically sand blasting that area with super heated gases after it's already been heated up. When stuff gets hot like that, I would think the moisture in the air could begin to corrode the barrel. Barrel material isn't hardest stuff around, the chrome lining is but the outside isn't.

MasterYong
09-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Tag

Droppin Deuces
09-27-2011, 12:02 PM
DAMN. Boeshield will clean that right up, by the way. Get some. Now. And then learn to clean your ****.

chicoredneck
09-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Are you using corrosively primed ammo? The vented gas would be depositing salt right on your barrel.

tvfreakarms
09-28-2011, 3:26 AM
The guy said it's a POF upper. He said he shot about 2k rounds unsuppressed and stated he used good ammo. That's all the info i got so far.

I own one and so far haven't seen anything close to this. I haven't taken off my HG since i owned it. I shot several hundred rounds. Sometimes after the range i sometimes don't clean my rifle right away. Usually the next time after the range i would clean it. The longest i think of not cleaning my rifle after shooting is about 2wks i think. The only thing that has happen to my rifle is carbon build up on my muzzle break. But that's just me not paying any attention to that area. Well i didn't realize it until couple of weeks ago LOL. Still trying to clean that crap off.

I'm hoping this won't happen to my rifle. The guy said he has contacted pof and waitng for a response. Just odd it will get like that. But i don't own several rifles and i'm still pretty new to the scene.

Caladain
09-28-2011, 5:48 AM
The guy said it's a POF upper. He said he shot about 2k rounds unsuppressed and stated he used good ammo. That's all the info i got so far.

Manufacturing defect be my guess. It didn't get a protective coating, got a defective coating, or was already starting to rust when he got it. Normal operation shouldn't cause anything like that, you've got nothing to fear.

FeuerFrei
09-28-2011, 7:08 AM
Looks like a clear case of abuse to me.
Here's a WAG.
Corrosive ammo, submersed in water and forgotten about and no cleaning.
I own several POF 556 uppers and have thousands of rounds through them and do not baby them at all. None of them even come close to looking like this. I'm not a clean-aholic either.

tvfreakarms
09-28-2011, 6:23 PM
Looks like a clear case of abuse to me.
Here's a WAG.
submersed in water and forgotten about and no cleaning.

Submersed in water and forgotten about it LOL. That's to funny. :clown::biggrinjester:

It has to be defective or something. Well i'm glad there is a fellow pof owner and its doing good. About how many rounds have you put it in your pof?

hcbr
09-29-2011, 10:29 AM
ouch, all i have to say is make sure you have desiccants wherever you're storing your rifle. And make sure you put your rifle in a dry area! wow never seen that much corrosion!

pdugan6
09-29-2011, 7:58 PM
ugg.

Dreaded Claymore
09-29-2011, 10:40 PM
My first thought was that your barrel had no finish and that you live in Humboldt County. The moist, salty air there did awful things to my fencing foil.

BKTJ
09-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Corrosive ammo and rapid mag dumps. The barrel gets really hot after firing several 30rd mags rapidly and the gas cuts the barrel. Then not cleaning the corrosive salts properly.