PDA

View Full Version : New Build: the Diet SPR

FMJBT
09-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Okay, so technically not an SPR since it's running a 16" barrel instead of the standard 18". The concept however, was to build a rifle with similar performance to my regular SPR, but in a slightly lighter and more compact package. Not a "Lightweight" build by any means, but something less than the average 12 pound+ weight of most SPR rifles. My goal weight was 10 pounds or less with optics, and as pictured (with scope) comes in at 10 pounds 4 ounces.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6179/6184263328_d0c3cca5c7_b.jpg

Running the new AAC SPR/M4 muzzle brake/QD suppressor adapter. It's relatively large, but adds only about 1" to the overall length of the rifle as most of the muzzle brake is covering the barrel. It uses their proprietary "MITER" mounting system that allows the suppressor to be indexed to multiple locations to allow for adjusting the amount of zero shift induced by the suppressor. Eventually I'll get a can for this rifle once I get out of CA in a few years. Until then, at least it looks cool :) Although pretty much impossible to see under the forend, I'm also using an adjustable 3 position gas black from Paladin Machine that will allow running a suppressor with minimal internal fouling of the reciever.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6158/6184262980_47a81bdbed_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6176/6183742627_0c1fb78c96_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6166/6183742027_2e37cd5e21_b.jpg

Upper Components:

-Spike's Tactical Upper Receiver w/ M4 feed ramps
-Rainier Arms "Select" 16" SS barrel. 1-8" twist 3 groove polygonal
-R-Guns Nickle Boron coated M-16 Bolt Carrier Group
-Midwest Industries SS-12 free float forend
-AAC SPR/M4 "Hollister" Brake
-BCM Gunfighter charging handle
-Paladin Machine 3 position adjustable gas block
-Spike's Tactical melonited mid length gas tube
-TMS forward offset scope mount
-Matech rear and no name knockoff (temporary) BUIS
-B&T lightweight polymer bipod

Lower Components:

-Spikes Tactical forged lower receiver
-Mags EFX-A1 fixed buttstock
-Magpul MOE grip with home made Kydex grip wrap
-Spike's Tactical LPK/trigger
-DSA ambi safety
-Magpul MOE trigger guard

Kingpin.SC
09-26-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm diggin' it! :thumbsup:

BAGunner
09-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Me Like. Is that Pelican 1660 its case too? What's your foam cutout look like?

MrPlink
09-27-2011, 12:57 AM
I usually prefer super KISS style rifles, but I like this a lot.

Good job!

762.DEFENSE
09-27-2011, 8:57 AM
Looks great, I'm glad to see other people are running the MI SS as well on their rifles. :thumbsup:

Quinc
09-27-2011, 9:54 AM
Sexy.

HeHateMe
09-27-2011, 9:58 AM
Me like.

tomd1584
09-27-2011, 1:48 PM
looks great!

Sniper3142
09-27-2011, 2:56 PM
Very nice looking setup.

:)

Phireglass
09-27-2011, 3:13 PM
Absolutely love that color

Randee
09-27-2011, 5:12 PM
FMJBT

looks nice! what optic is that sitting on top?

UserM4
09-27-2011, 6:15 PM
How's it shoot? Got any group shots?

Iggy
09-27-2011, 6:46 PM
Looks great!

Reminds me of my setup. Very similar. Mine's a 16" Noveske SS Recon barrel with the short AAC brake.

http://iggycorp.com/gun/N4spr.jpg

HalfMeltingEyes
09-27-2011, 6:48 PM
Nice color!

OutlawDon
09-27-2011, 9:17 PM
Nice setup and build.

I like the Mags EFX-A1 fixed buttstock!

And does the pistol grip with the kydex allow you to run a standard 20 or 30 rd detachable mag setup then?

BANG BANG
09-27-2011, 9:54 PM
looking cool :cool:

FMJBT
09-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Me Like. Is that Pelican 1660 its case too? What's your foam cutout look like?

The Pelican Case is what I used on a few of my last deployments to carry tools and parts. It's one of the more massive cases that Pelican makes, probably big enough to put a small block Chevy engine into :) I'll probably end up getting just a soft case for this rifle, and maybe a hard case later on for travel.

Absolutely love that color

The inspiration for the color scheme on this actually came from my cheapo LA Police Gear 3 day backpack in Coyote Brown. The paint is DuraCoat in Desert Mirage Lizard Brown, which in pictures looks quite a bit like Coyote Brown. It's actually quite a bit darker, more like Hershy's milk chocolate borwn almost. For comparison, the kydex grip is actually coyote brown.

FMJBT

looks nice! what optic is that sitting on top?

It's a Vector Optics 1.75-6X32 mil dot. I bought it back in the day before they started naming all their scopes, I believe this model is now called the "Grimlock". It's a temporary optic while I'm saving up for something with a bit more magnification (up to around 10X). The Vector is actually a pretty decent scope though. I've had it mounted to a Sabre Defense 16" AR for years and it has performed really well. Tracks and holds zero and has over 75 moa of internal adjustment. Decent glass too. My only complaint is that the magnification ring is ridiculously tight on it. You almost need a pipe wrench to change magnification on this one.

How's it shoot? Got any group shots?

No groups yet, hopefully next weekend I'll get a chance to take it out and kill some paper. Heard lots of good things about the Rainier/ Black Hole barrel. Hoping for at least MOA or better with Prvi 75 gr. Match.

Nice setup and build.

I like the Mags EFX-A1 fixed buttstock!

And does the pistol grip with the kydex allow you to run a standard 20 or 30 rd detachable mag setup then?

Thanks! I really like these EFX buttstocks too, my SPR also has one installed. Unfortunately in this application the kydex grip fin interferes with the stocks access door for storage. I can't open it without first removing the pistol grip.

The trade off is that the kydex fin allows me to skirt around the assault weapon laws as the rifle effectively no longer has any of the features that would classify it as an assault rifle under CA law. I't my understanding that as long as I run this style of grip and do not use a collapsable stock, flash hider, or vertical grip I can retain the use of the standard mag release, as well as use high capacity magazines that were in my posession prior to the assault weapons ban taking effect.

FMJBT
09-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Looks great!

Reminds me of my setup. Very similar. Mine's a 16" Noveske SS Recon barrel with the short AAC brake.

http://iggycorp.com/gun/N4spr.jpg

NICE!!!! How do you like the AAC brake? I'm a little concerned about shooting this one from a bipod, as it looks like it might kick back some dirt, etc.

OutlawDon
09-27-2011, 10:36 PM
The trade off is that the kydex fin allows me to skirt around the assault weapon laws as the rifle effectively no longer has any of the features that would classify it as an assault rifle under CA law. I't my understanding that as long as I run this style of grip and do not use a collapsable stock, flash hider, or vertical grip I can retain the use of the standard mag release, as well as use high capacity magazines that were in my posession prior to the assault weapons ban taking effect.

Music to my ears! That's a sweet setup. Great job and looks good on top. Most featureless builds are pretty ugly to me.

Iggy
09-27-2011, 11:03 PM
NICE!!!! How do you like the AAC brake? I'm a little concerned about shooting this one from a bipod, as it looks like it might kick back some dirt, etc.

The AAC brake is awesome, but it is really really loud. I have not shot prone yet and I might have to take it off at the place where I shoot long range because they don't allow brakes.

The amazing part is there is no recoil. Less than my 22. I'm serious! If I load the bipod and shot, the gun literally does not move.

send it_hit
09-27-2011, 11:19 PM
not to thread jack, but iggy is your lower noveske too?

Colt-45
09-27-2011, 11:25 PM
not to thread jack, but iggy is your lower noveske too?

Looks like a Noveske GenII lower.

send it_hit
09-27-2011, 11:33 PM
thanks colt. thinking of building my first, might go with noveske.

anyways, FMJBT your build looks awesome! I too normally dislike featureless but this is definitely an exception

Gnome
09-28-2011, 12:02 AM
That rifle looks sick! Very nice.

Inquirer
09-28-2011, 12:13 AM
FMJBT, I have to commend you for putting together a really cool rifle. That is one of few AR-15's I'd ever want, but you pulled it off beautifully. Featureless, really simple, heavy enough to shoot straight, light enough to carry, great color. You did an awesome job with the grip fin, too. You could sell those. The rifle's probably out of my price range at the moment, but it's something to aspire to - especially in .308.

Either way, great work. Congratulations on a job well done.

--Inq

Randee
09-28-2011, 6:41 AM
FMJBT

Thanks for the heads up, I remember seeing before you had a Leatherwood CMR, how was that compared to your current optic setup?

mlevans66
09-28-2011, 7:45 AM
That thing is awsome! Love the color and the comp. Is that a burris scope mount you have there? Also how's that trigger working out for you?

speeddreamz
09-28-2011, 7:56 AM
Looks great, but I'm confused by your use of the word SPR and diet.

You should label it, my new FDE build.

6doubleR
09-28-2011, 8:01 AM
Great build! :)

Arteel
09-28-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm usually not a fan of colored rifles, but this looks really good. Great job!

Peter.Steele
09-28-2011, 5:20 PM
Nice looking rifle, DC1. How do you like the SS12? I'm waiting on my new upper right now, it comes with an SS12, so I'm curious.

EvolutionGSR
09-28-2011, 5:45 PM
What kind of scope is that in the first pic?

FMJBT
09-28-2011, 9:59 PM
FMJBT

Thanks for the heads up, I remember seeing before you had a Leatherwood CMR, how was that compared to your current optic setup?

The Leatherwood CMR is still sitting on my 18" SPR build. Between the CMR and the Vector Optics scope, the CMR is definitely a better scope IMHO. More versatile due to the BDC reticle design. Makes it really easy to get lots of lead on target at varying distances in a short amount of time. The mil dot on the Vector scope is good for holdovers at longer ranges, but the limited 6X magnification makes it hard to use for ranging as it's pretty small at that magnification. One area where the Vector shines though is the windage and elevation adjustments. It has extremely crisp and accurate 1/4 moa clicks that are as nice as any high end scope I've ever tried. The Leatherwoods are slightly softer and less tactile, but still pretty good. I wouldn't hesitate to run another CMR on this rifle, But I wish they made one with a bit more magnification, like a 2-8 version maybe.

Leatherwood on the SPR build:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6018/5966985513_e55aff8541_z.jpg

That thing is awsome! Love the color and the comp. Is that a burris scope mount you have there? Also how's that trigger working out for you?

Thanks! The scope mount is a TMS, found it on ebay for around $40.00. Looks like it's the same mount that Primary Arms sells on their website. The mount is extremely robust, and sits about 3/32" higher than a LaRue or ADM mount which allows it to clear the Matech sight in the back with most scopes. The stock trigger out of the Spikes Tactical LPK is pretty heavy. The quality of the parts looks really good, but the pull weight is horrible anyway. I'm going to swap it out as funds become available for something like a CMMG 2 stage or Geiselle S2S.

Nice looking rifle, DC1. How do you like the SS12? I'm waiting on my new upper right now, it comes with an SS12, so I'm curious.

I play a DC1 at work most days, but I'm actually an HT1. Not only do I get to put out fires and maintain DC equipment, but I get to weld, braze, and chase turds! :p

I really like the ergonomics and light weight of the SS12 forends. The modular rails are nice to have as well. I have an early production version of the SS12 on another rifle, and the anti rotation screw ended up stripping out of that one after several hundred rounds of sustained fire because the threads didn't have much material to engage on the tube itself. They stripped out and the tube could just spin in place. Midwest seems to have addressed that with the newer ones, as they have a small boss near the lower rear of the forend that has much more thread contact for the anti rotation screw. I also used quite a bit of locktite this time. Hopefully I'll never feel the need to remove this forend, as it's pretty much permanent at this point :)

Peter.Steele
09-29-2011, 5:00 PM
I play a DC1 at work most days, but I'm actually an HT1. Not only do I get to put out fires and maintain DC equipment, but I get to weld, braze, and chase turds! :p

I really like the ergonomics and light weight of the SS12 forends. The modular rails are nice to have as well. I have an early production version of the SS12 on another rifle, and the anti rotation screw ended up stripping out of that one after several hundred rounds of sustained fire because the threads didn't have much material to engage on the tube itself. They stripped out and the tube could just spin in place. Midwest seems to have addressed that with the newer ones, as they have a small boss near the lower rear of the forend that has much more thread contact for the anti rotation screw. I also used quite a bit of locktite this time. Hopefully I'll never feel the need to remove this forend, as it's pretty much permanent at this point :)

Thanks for the info! Oh, and watch out for those gold-painted pipes, too. :D

SoCalXD
09-29-2011, 5:21 PM
Nice looking Rig, but ah...10lbs in 5.56? That needs to go on a diet! Carbine calibers belong in carbines, not 10lb rifles!

FMJBT
10-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Nice looking Rig, but ah...10lbs in 5.56? That needs to go on a diet! Carbine calibers belong in carbines, not 10lb rifles!

LOL, this is on a diet :D A typical SPR setup weighs around 12 pounds if not more. I could probably go a bit lighter on this one if I went with an ACE skeleton stock and a dimpled or fluted barrel. Other than that, there's not many areas to shave weight off without sacrificing some degree of performance.

FMJBT
10-08-2011, 7:07 PM
Finally settled on an optic for this build, the new Sightmark 2.5-10X32 Mil Dot. Looks pretty much just like the Vector scope that I had on it before, but with more magnification and better glass. Tons of internal adjustment range as well, about 135 MOA of elevation in 1/4 MOA clicks.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6107/6225112896_6235b537cc_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6223/6225113348_3e23ff6f7c_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6056/6224594211_78825b0a82_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6160/6225115736_7e6c20de12_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6120/6224596761_1882d06fd9_b.jpg

Paladin Machine Adjustable Gas Block
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6240/6225116694_71fac88c8e_z.jpg

MrExel17
10-08-2011, 8:22 PM
Dood, that look sick! Congrats, I'm diggin the color too!