PDA

View Full Version : How long does the intra-family transfer take?

Jwind
09-26-2011, 9:42 PM
I filled out the forms, sent it in with a check for $19, and have waited for a little over a month now. Should I be worried?

My dad had recently passed away, he left behind his Beretta 92F that he bought to protect the family when I was born. No will was left behind, and mom is terrified of guns. So I wanted it. I even called in to the DOJ to ask about filling out the forms. Nothing special was mentioned that needed to be done.

I didn't wait until 40 days after death, nor did I send in a copy of the death certificate. Would those be necessary?

TangoCharlie
09-26-2011, 10:04 PM
I filled out the forms, sent it in with a check for $19, and have waited for a little over a month now. Should I be worried?

My dad had recently passed away, he left behind his Beretta 92F that he bought to protect the family when I was born. No will was left behind, and mom is terrified of guns. So I wanted it. I even called in to the DOJ to ask about filling out the forms. Nothing special was mentioned that needed to be done.

I didn't wait until 40 days after death, nor did I send in a copy of the death certificate. Would those be necessary?

Letter of the law, if there is no will then there is no inheritance to speak of. You father's possessions ultimately go to your mom, so this would be a gift from your mother to you.

Jwind
09-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your father. I had the same situation as you. I didn't send it in for some time because there were bigger fish to fry at the time. I think I put "deceased father/inheritance" in the explanation box on the form. No certificate necessary. I received the conformation paperwork in about 6 weeks, it might have even been a week or two longer.

Sorry to hear about your situation as well. I know what you mean about bigger fish, so much paper work. Plus all the courts I saw made me never want to see those places again. This transfer was one of the last things we had left on the to do list. Was a few days into the fourth week was when I mailed it out. Been 6 weeks, 2 days.

Letter of the law, if there is no will then there is no inheritance to speak of. You father's possessions ultimately go to your mom, so this would be a gift from your mother to you.

So, no papers need be sent in? Or should I fill out the Intra-family transfer using my moms info?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Turo
09-26-2011, 10:32 PM
It took almost 2 months to get the confirmation in the mail when my dad gave my my .22. They're slow, and don't care. Enjoy your dad's gun and think of it as a way to remember him.

Jwind
09-27-2011, 2:25 PM
I guess if there was no will you can put in that it was a gift from your mother. But I doubt it will make any difference practically speaking. The DOJ should register them. They usually register family transfers even when the gun was not registered by the previous owner (this is not legal advise, do at your own risk). They are just happy to get them registered. I'd wait a couple more weeks then give them a call.

It took almost 2 months to get the confirmation in the mail when my dad gave my my .22. They're slow, and don't care. Enjoy your dad's gun and think of it as a way to remember him.

Good to know I'm not the only one where it took awhile for the DOJ to respond. I'll give em another 2 weeks and I'll probably call then, Thanks! And yea, I'll be keeping this within the family. Maybe start a family tradition or something with it.

paul0660
09-27-2011, 2:31 PM
They're slow, and don't care.

I think this is true. A month is not long enough to worry about, and they are happy that the gun is in the system, no matter who the transferor is.