PDA

View Full Version : Tauraus Raging Bull .44 mag

guasti61
09-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Hello, Maybe someone could help with this question ! I'm looking to buy a Taurus Raging bull .44 Magnum. Taurus web site says this handgun shoots .44 magnum and 454 casull rounds but does it also shoots .44 specials rounds ?
Thanks for any help guasti61

hill billy
09-27-2011, 2:03 PM
It will shoot 44 special but WILL NOT shoot 454 Casull. The way it's printed means that you can buy it in one caliber or the other. 454 will also shoot 45 Colt.

Dark Mod
09-27-2011, 2:29 PM
I had the same quandry. The website is confusing and retarded, they really mean that you can buy it either in 44 mag or 454. 44 mag shoots 44 spl, and 454 shots 45 colt.

jessegpresley
09-27-2011, 2:31 PM
Buy a 629 Smith & Wesson or even a Ruger Redhawk instead. You'll thank yourself later.

21SF
09-27-2011, 2:33 PM
44mag/44spl

454/45LC

21SF
09-27-2011, 2:42 PM
Buy a 629 Smith & Wesson or even a Ruger Redhawk instead. You'll thank yourself later.

Well i think the taurus is a lot beefier than the smith, so if hot loads are in order you might want to consider the taurus or ruger which would be alot more.

jessegpresley
09-27-2011, 2:48 PM
Well i think the taurus is a lot beefier than the smith, so if hot loads are in order you might want to consider the taurus or ruger which would be alot more.

Beefier doesn't always equate to being better built or being able to withstand full power loads better. 200 lbs of pot metal isn't as strong as 100 lbs of cast iron.

I'm sure you're not suggesting that a Taurus can handle punishing loads better than a S&W.

ckprax
09-27-2011, 3:45 PM
I think your original question has been sufficiently answered so I will throw my $0.02 in on the different manufactures being discussed.

If really hot loads are what you are after I would suggest going with a single action Ruger or the Redhawk. IMO Ruger is the best bang for your buck, the triggers are generally pretty bad out of the box but you can clean it up pretty easily.

S&W are much better looking (I know, totally subjective), have a great action and are plenty strong. But you pay for the looks and silky smooth trigger, you can likely buy a new Ruger or Taurus for the price of a used S&W. I personally would not abuse my 629 with super hot handloads, but any factory loads are no problem.

In my experience Taurus are hit and miss, some are reliable but there is a significant chance you will get a lemon. Some have great triggers, others not so much. The up side is they are very affordable if you get a good one.

m1a1driver
09-27-2011, 3:52 PM
I had a raging bull. after it being broke right out of the box , supposedly "new from the factory" and 2 return trips to taurus to fix it, I ended up trading it for something else. I will never ever buy another taurus again. Do yourself a favor and get a S&W, you will thank yourself later.

Sturnovik
09-27-2011, 3:56 PM
They have made good guns. There tracker series looked neat but I always went S&W. Ruger makes a good revolver too. The GP101 I liked but went 66 and was glad I did. If its bigger than .44/.45, Ruger is more affordable.

Echidin
09-27-2011, 4:38 PM
They have made good guns. There tracker series looked neat but I always went S&W. Ruger makes a good revolver too. The GP101 I liked but went 66 and was glad I did. If its bigger than .44/.45, Ruger is more affordable.

Did you mean SP101 or GP100?

To the OP,

I have no experience with Taurus revolvers, but from what I've read, the Raging Bull series have a pretty good reputation as far as Taurus firearms go.

-hanko
09-27-2011, 7:35 PM
I think your original question has been sufficiently answered so I will throw my $0.02 in on the different manufactures being discussed.

If really hot loads are what you are after I would suggest going with a single action Ruger or the Redhawk. IMO Ruger is the best bang for your buck, the triggers are generally pretty bad out of the box but you can clean it up pretty easily.

S&W are much better looking (I know, totally subjective), have a great action and are plenty strong. But you pay for the looks and silky smooth trigger, you can likely buy a new Ruger or Taurus for the price of a used S&W. I personally would not abuse my 629 with super hot handloads, but any factory loads are no problem.

In my experience Taurus are hit and miss, some are reliable but there is a significant chance you will get a lemon. Some have great triggers, others not so much. The up side is they are very affordable if you get a good one.
I own/have owned all 3, and I agree with ckprax right down the line, though I lust for a Freedom Arms weapon in .45/.454...that'll happen around the first of the year. :) ;)

OP, the Taurus will save you money & I hope you get a good one. If you're thinking of reloading either the .44 or .45 to the wall, I'd get the Ruger Redhawk. If you're looking for a weapon you can hand down to your grandkids with better fit and finish than the others, I'd find a used model 29 or 629. I prefer pre-lock Smiths, though others may/fill find me fos on that score.

hth

-hanko

Sturnovik
09-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Your right, I messed up on the numbering, meant the GP100.

guasti61
09-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Thank you all for your input. You gave me a lot of food for thought on selecting a .44 mag.
P.S I have been doing my own reloading for over 30 years. I do not believe in 'Hot loads'.I load and shoot for accuracy.I'll take a clover over a big bang any day..guasti61

paul0660
09-29-2011, 10:10 PM
I have not had a problem with Taurus or Rossi. However, if the difference is less than $200 between the Brazilian gun and a Ruger, and you are going to keep it forever, get the Ruger.

New S&W shouldn't enter the equation. Overpriced, serious quality issues, a loyal fanbase.........all true.

BigDogatPlay
09-29-2011, 10:14 PM

I'd concur on all three points, owning a Redhawk, a 629 and previously owned / discarded Taurus products. If you want to shoot hot, better off buying Ruger. If you want to shoot tight most S&W's (particularly older ones) are the deal. If you just want to shoot and don't care if it goes bang every time, buy Taurus.

OC-Indian
09-29-2011, 10:20 PM
I saw a Taurus 44mag with a 4" ported barrel and it looked almost like the area around the ports was "melted". Would that effect the performance?

paul0660
09-29-2011, 10:24 PM
I saw a Taurus 44mag with a 4" ported barrel and it looked almost like the area around the ports was "melted". Would that effect the performance?

No, just the "resale value".