PDA

View Full Version : Is del-ton any good?

eli45
09-26-2011, 9:15 PM
I am in the market for an auto loading rifle, and due to its modular capabilities, an AR-15 seems to be the way to go. With all the brands out there, its hard to decide on an AR in my price range( under a grand). Ive been looking at the del-ton MOE. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

djleisure
09-26-2011, 9:20 PM
The short answer is, del-ton is lower end and not great. The longer answer involves plenty of people chiming in on how their del-ton has worked just fine for them and will probably work just fine for you. If that is in your budget and you want to give it a shot, then go for it. If you want to upgrade later or find flaws with it, then you can easily sell it and move on.

Either way, welcome to the disease, the AR is a fine choice! :D

mlevans66
09-26-2011, 9:22 PM
Have not heard many bad things about them. As good as Stag, Rock River and some other middle of the road brands. Get one and see if you like it.

send it_hit
09-26-2011, 9:26 PM
somewhere i saw a list of AR manufacturers listed in tiers... high/middle/low/avoid. can't find it via search. is it a sticky and i'm just missing it?

smirnus3000
09-26-2011, 9:27 PM
I'll be the first to jump in and say my del ton has gone thru 2k rounds of steel cased ammo and has not had one single FTE, FTF, or any other kind of issue ever. Now I know there are nicer ones out there but I have no issues in trusting mine to function with no issues. Get one and start saving for another ASAP cuz you can't have just one AR.

cmaynes
09-26-2011, 9:29 PM
you can get BCM stuff which is much better for nearly the same amount of money- I have both- and the Delton kit I got is just fine, even for automatic fire- but the BCM stuff has a proven track record for hard use.

djleisure
09-26-2011, 9:32 PM
How about the S&W MP15 for $640 from Riflegear? If you're in SoCal it's within driving range. http://www.riflegear.com/p-1148-sw-model-mp15-sport-rifle-california.aspx

someR1
09-26-2011, 9:37 PM
haters gonna hate ....but I say go for it, if that's your budget

E Pluribus Unum
09-26-2011, 9:37 PM
The short answer is, del-ton is lower end and not great.

It's definitely a short answer, but it's an opinion; an opinion I would like to politely, but strongly, disagree with.

I've built two of their rifles, and both were great... and shoot better than I can.

Anyone who doubts the shootability of a delton gun is welcome to drive to Bakersfield with some ammo and I would be glad to let them shoot the heck out of mine.

eli45
09-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks for your comments. The S&W mp15 seems to lack standard features all other AR-15 have. While my spending is limited, I dont want the cheapest i can find! Does anyone have a link to the bcm suggestion?

mlevans66
09-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks for your comments. The S&W mp15 seems to lack standard features all other AR-15 have. While my spending is limited, I dont want the cheapest i can find! Does anyone have a link to the bcm suggestion?

Shop away!
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

E Pluribus Unum
09-26-2011, 10:26 PM

Delton is fine. Just make sure you pay extra for the chrome-lined barrel and chamber, and shoot the hell out of it for less money.... you'll be happpy; I am.

6doubleR
09-26-2011, 10:42 PM
I just got home from the range with two Del-Tons. My Del-Ton Carbine Lightweight 1:9 chrome lined rifle kit mated to a Spikes Tactical lower and my buddies Del-Ton Mid Length Heavy Barrel 1:7 chrome lined rifle kit mated to a Noveske Lower. Put about 300 rounds down range without any issue. The carbine length took a little more effort to zero, but once each were zeroed in, they shot accurately.

Both rifles were inexpensive to build and a great way to break into the AR platform without breaking the bank.

chead
09-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Shop away!
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

FYI they sometimes sell out of things in minutes, so definitely do hit the "email me when in stock" link on things you want.

eli45
09-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Delton is fine. Just make sure you pay extra for the chrome-lined barrel and chamber, and shoot the hell out of it for less money.... you'll be happpy; I am.

Thanks, I believe the chamber is chrome lined but the barrel isnt. was attracted to the heavy barrel it comes with.

biloutkast
09-26-2011, 10:48 PM
It's a good entry level/budget AR.

E Pluribus Unum
09-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks, I believe the chamber is chrome lined but the barrel isnt. was attracted to the heavy barrel it comes with.

The chamber is the important one. I have heard of sporadic feeding issues with non-chrome-lined chambers.... I've never seen it personally, however, because I always have my chambers chrome-lined.

eli45
09-26-2011, 10:49 PM
what are the benefits of a chrome lined barrel? smoothness i would guess.

CK_32
09-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Ok Rifle > Good Rifle

MrPlink
09-27-2011, 12:55 AM
When you are dealing with the entry to mid level of AR products, they are fairly honest products and you get what you pay for.
When you start spending the big bucks, thats when you really have to ask where your money is going.

Rexxss98
09-27-2011, 1:32 AM
Try Spikes Tactical! I bought mine for 800

Anchors
09-27-2011, 1:35 AM
If you do, I suggest buying a new bolt carrier group for the Del-Ton.
The only problems I've read related to their uppers are that one.

Read here (456 rounds, BCG failure)
And another poster in that thread had some lugs shear off after only 60 rounds (but he did say DelTon promptly replaced it no questions asked).
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/500992__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Delton_bcg_failure_Pics _up_in_OP.html&page=1

For me, I would save up an extra hundred or two and get something I personally have more confidence in. But I don't doubt that there are thousands of DelTons running without skipping a beat. It all boils down to preference and personal comfort and it appears that DT takes care of their customers and that is always important.

MrPlink
09-27-2011, 2:00 AM
super tempting to get a 20in rifle kit from these guys.

400 bucks, just add your own lower + bcg and you are ready to rock!

E Pluribus Unum
09-27-2011, 2:04 AM
super tempting to get a 20in rifle kit from these guys.

400 bucks, just add your own lower + bcg and you are ready to rock!

I did.... and loved it.

I've put 3000 rounds through mine without any failure... and I have their BCG.

baih777
09-27-2011, 3:41 AM
look at the riflegear website. go to the second page of the AR rifles. there are three models of stag on sale for under $1000

Mrbasslips
09-27-2011, 5:04 AM
FWIW, I have both a del-ton and a BCM middy . After 2K rounds, Delton zero malfunctions. After 500 rounds, BCM one malfunction. I was a delton hater too, no mas. I Still think BCM and some other top tier names are better rifles, but a delton can hold its own.

Mail Clerk
09-27-2011, 5:25 AM

Chrome lined barrels are easier to clean and help in bullet velocity compared to a non-chromed barrel.

Mail Clerk

Mail Clerk
09-27-2011, 7:20 AM
I am in the market for an auto loading rifle, and due to its modular capabilities, an AR-15 seems to be the way to go. With all the brands out there, its hard to decide on an AR in my price range( under a grand). Ive been looking at the del-ton MOE. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

eli45,

Del-Tons have been featured in a couple magazine articles and they appear to be promising to the consumer.

On a personal basis I wouldn't buy anything too over priced. If the Del-Ton brand fits your budget then wht not!
After all if it doesn't work wouldn't Del-Ton repair it for you free if it's under warranty? Even expensive uppers can go wrong too.

Don't let anyone discourage you. Enjoy your hobby;)

Mail clerk

Head416
09-27-2011, 7:52 AM

Can you elaborate on what the S&W is missing?

drifter001
09-27-2011, 8:08 AM
I have a 16" carbine length upper from BCM paired with a spikes tactical BCG and a spikes lower. Gna take it out to the range this weekend ti zero in. I was considering del-ton at first but went with bcm instead

metalliman545
09-27-2011, 8:09 AM
Shot over 600 rounds through mine with no cleaning. Even had to tap the forward assist to seat the first round for fresh mags but after that fired, fed, extracted and reloaded with no problems. I loved it.

CK_32
09-27-2011, 8:10 AM
FWIW, I have both a del-ton and a BCM middy . After 2K rounds, Delton zero malfunctions. After 500 rounds, BCM one malfunction. I was a delton hater too, no mas. I Still think BCM and some other top tier names are better rifles, but a delton can hold its own.

What was the malfunction. Before you start blaming bcm a lot of jams like FTF are from the ammo it self.

What ammo and type of jam was it?

I get jams in my bcm every other mag with Remington 22 in my conversion kit. But it's not the kit or the rifle it's the ammo sucks. Went through 1500 rounds of federal in 2 months with out a single problem. Most times it's just the ammo.

And I know 22 and 5.56 are differant I'm just using an example.

OP: they have decent rifles it's just the chance. Some of their rifles run like a champ and through anything and some run like crap and jam every round.

It's pretty much just the testing we pay for with bcm and spikes and others. It's a lower chance were going to get a flop due to their testing and manufacturing procedures. So you could end up with a killer rifle for a great price or end up with a POS for cheap. I think spending that extra $200 is worth the reward to me than gambling and getting a broken rifle for $400. YMMV.

Dannicus
09-27-2011, 8:24 AM
I had a del-ton and a stag. Both are supposed to be lower tier. The Stag had better finish on the barrel and a higher quality hand guard. The Stag had minor imperfections on the lower receiver, while the Del-ton was flawless. Both functioned flawless and were around 2.5 MOA from the bench, maybe better with a better nut connecting the pistol grip to the buttplate and better than bulk ammo.

I think the real savings with a del-ton comes from the cheaper barrel and BCG. You could probably take a del-ton and put a high quality BCG and barrel on it and you'd have a rifle that rivals high end stuff.

shafferds
09-27-2011, 8:48 AM
A lower is lower except for the emblem but spend a few more dollars on the upper. Have fun and enjoy

robcoe
09-27-2011, 8:51 AM

I have a friend who has one and he's happy with it.

Personally, I would buy a stripped lower and build up the rifle you want, I spent about $200 on the lower, Lower parts kit, stock and grip combined then bought a custom upper from jsesurplus.com for about $450 after shipping.

Putting the lower together is actually very easy, all it took was a $10 bench vise, a hex key a pair of vise grips and some electrical tape(to protect the finish).

someR1
09-27-2011, 8:54 AM
DPMS smoking deal: http://www.marksarmory.com/DPMS_Bull_barrel_p/ftbl-lpc.htm

atv
09-27-2011, 8:59 AM
The only del-ton product I had was a LPK, which was a cluster fxxk and a half. Wrong size pins, missing spring, etc. Their rifles may be fine, but poor quality control on LPK.

If you are going to keep the rifle for a while, and if you plan on shooting it, the ammo cost over a few years will greatly exceed what you spend on the rifle, so don't sweat the $700 vs $900 decision on the hardware. That $200 won't even cover a case of ammo.

timmyb21
09-27-2011, 9:07 AM
This is a quote taken from a Del Ton employee, I believe she's a customer service rep, she deals with the account the have on AR15.com:

Just wanted to get a few things out there...
Steel ammo DOES NOT void our warranty. We changed our policy on that a long while back!

Also, we've done quite a few things in the past year to upgrade our rifles, parts and accessories...
- All flat tops have the extended M4 feed ramps
- All bolts are MP/HP tested
- If you order an upper or rifle with a flat top, it will have an F Marked front sight base
- Our carriers are properly staked, and sealed
- All barrels are parkarized under the gas block
- We only use taper pins on our barrels
- All barrels are made of Chrome Moly Vanadium. CMV is an upgrade from the standard chrome moly. We also have the option to chrome line the barrels, or not, and you can chose a 1x7 twist or a 1x9 twist on most profiles.
We offer all of these options to you, as the consumer, so you can chose what you'd like. We don't tell you the options, we let you decide exactly what you'd like.
- As always, each and every upper or rifle that leaves here has been test fired, not a single one leaves the place without having that done

So, we think you'll be VERY happy with your upper! And as always, please let us know if you have any questions!
Kassandra

With that kind of service and standards, I would be very confident ordering fro Del Ton. That and I have built 2 and both are still running great. Buy Del Ton, spend the rest of your budget on ammo.

GMG
09-27-2011, 9:25 AM
My son and I have had our Del-Tons since 2008 with zero problems !

kozumasbullitt
09-27-2011, 9:37 AM
All these hype del-ton threads makes me want to sell my Noveskes and upgrade to Deltons.

Noah3683
09-27-2011, 10:17 AM
All these hype del-ton threads makes me want to sell my Noveskes and upgrade to Deltons.

:rofl2: for what it's worth a friend has a delton upper that is a hunk of s**t. Jammed at least 3 times out of every 10. A few were attributed to tula ammo but the others happened with pmc and m855. They have had his upper for 2 months now for repair. Bad lemons get through any company. Hell i had one from Noveske, but for the minimal savings i would rather step up to at least spikes

eli45
09-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Can you elaborate on what the S&W is missing?

I believe theres no forward assist( the little piston coming out of the right rear of the upper) and there is no chamber cover(not a big deal).It seems all mid to high end ARs have that piston on them. Is that part the forward assist?

Shadowtengu
09-27-2011, 12:30 PM
There aint NOTHING MISSING ON THE M&P 15 SPORT. I've had one for about three months so far. It aint got a forward assist and neither did the original AR 15. SMith and wesson took the useless crap off and streamlined it. Integrated trigger guard, Small A2 Rear sight post, hella staked gas key and castle nut, included sexiness....etc....

I've never heard once from experienced ar shooters that they found their FAs useful, in fact they said using it made some jams worse. Theres no dust cover on it because its not a pansy rifle, she can take dirt, mud, and sand in full gulps and still shoot. Just like most ARs, but mine is better because its mine =).

the melonite treatment is insanely better than chrome, the rifling is the same as the m24 so its super accurate!!! We're talking like, "wow a .223 carbine made that grouping????" Chrome lining takes away some accuracy, melonite or nitride treatment does not!

Damn I love my m&p sport, shes got 3000 rounds in her 3 drops, and no jams failure to feeds or failure to extract. I hate to say it, but its like a damn AK.

goodlookin1
09-27-2011, 1:04 PM
If you have to ask if Del-Ton is any good, in all likelihood it will work just fine for you.

MrPlink
09-27-2011, 1:18 PM
Theres no dust cover on it because its not a pansy rifle, she can take dirt, mud, and sand in full gulps and still shoot.

Lets make a video to prove it.
You provide the rifle, I'll provide the dirt, mud and sand :43:

Iskra
09-27-2011, 1:26 PM
The only del-ton product I had was a LPK, which was a cluster fxxk and a half. Wrong size pins, missing spring, etc. Their rifles may be fine, but poor quality control on LPK.

If you are going to keep the rifle for a while, and if you plan on shooting it, the ammo cost over a few years will greatly exceed what you spend on the rifle, so don't sweat the $700 vs $900 decision on the hardware. That $200 won't even cover a case of ammo.

I was missing both takedown pin detent springs in a LPK from Del-Ton (no, they didn't shoot away into the abyss of my garage). Once I picked those up from Irvington Arms, everything works fine. Quality is satisfactory... like atv said, there may be some QC issues in packing kits for shipment. In the future, I'll always spend the extra $1 for a RRA LPK.

stormy_clothing
09-27-2011, 1:43 PM
but the BCM stuff has a proven track record for hard use.

every kid at my local mall hiding behind the shave ice stand employs it so it must be good...

I love stuff like this having grown up with numerous ex mil rifles that were all total f'ing garbage

My favorite was a colt commando that either fired 3 round bursts or not at all.

To the OP go on any number of the out of state vendors and pick up a base model stag it will serve you well for the same money.

SDM44
09-27-2011, 10:23 PM
What if you get a Del-Ton AR rifle, but you strip the lower receiver and put in a new lower parts kit, like a Daniel Defense lower parts kit?

Will that make a difference in reliability or performance compared to the stock Del-Ton lower parts kit? Will that make the overall rifle a better value and better firearm?

Sunday
09-28-2011, 10:59 AM

lasts longer under heavy use. Heavy use buy a BCM "top end at least" Range toy ,,,whatever. This link should help seperate the opinions from the facts https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AqmgMm61Ok7WdExwaG16OENzOEZ1akp2a3Y2NjMxTEE&single=true&gid=2&output=html

sapper911
09-28-2011, 1:04 PM
I have a Del-Ton upper, works great. never had any FTF or FTE. I did replace the BCG with a BCM, because i wanted the best BCG available. I threw an Eotech 512 on it and im able to shoot pine cones out of trees at 100yds all day long.

Lead Waster
09-28-2011, 1:32 PM
In the AR world, when people talk about "quality" I have no idea what they are talking about. It's not like Delton parts are made of particle board or something.

If I were you, I'd get what you can afford and shoot it and enjoy it. You will then be familiar with the rifle and know what you like and don't like and what parts, if any, are giving you trouble.

There is no need to buy a Ferrarri to go to the grocery store.

railroader
09-28-2011, 3:12 PM
I guess I'm another del-ton fan boy. My middy and carbine haven't had any problems period. I even won a local cmp shoot with the middy. You gotta get lucky once in a while. ;) Mark

ZX-10R
09-28-2011, 5:15 PM
I have a Franken AR that has a Delton upper and it shoots on par with my DD though consistently the DD performs better but just by a hair. Head to head my DD beat it in groups but that was my friend shooting it. I am selling it to him...He can shoot it well.

mif_slim
09-28-2011, 5:35 PM
I think people have believed for so long that "you get what you pay for" that because delton has a low price label it's automatically labeled "cheap" because so many other brands are higher priced.

Get it, you'll be happy. I have plum crazy (concidered lowest end of all AR) and they hold their own against my YHM, DD and BCM.

cxr
09-28-2011, 6:07 PM
what about this one from JSE? i dont know anything about SS barrels

http://www.jsesurplus.com/16dtim41x9556natostainlesssteeluppercompletewith4r aildsc2pchg.aspx

shooterdude
09-28-2011, 6:17 PM
What if you get a Del-Ton AR rifle, but you strip the lower receiver and put in a new lower parts kit, like a Daniel Defense lower parts kit?

Will that make a difference in reliability or performance compared to the stock Del-Ton lower parts kit? Will that make the overall rifle a better value and better firearm?

After you do the work and shoot it you'll wonder why you wasted $ and time.

On the other hand, if you replace the trigger and hammer with a RRA 2 stage...THAT WOULD be worth your $.

eli45
09-28-2011, 6:24 PM
thanks for everybodys comment/ opinions/ suggestions. got a lot more research to do!And thanks everybody for being 98% positive to the "Noob"! you gotta start somewhere.

smle-man
09-28-2011, 6:31 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff237/smle-man/P7040012.jpg

Del-ton 20" A2 upper with 1/9 chrome lined tube, Stag A2 lower. Still chuggin' along without missing a beat and as accurate as these old eyes can handle. Why pay more than you have to?

Maddog5150
09-28-2011, 6:42 PM
I'm surprised no one ever mentions the Obama bolts. Their QC went so south trying to cash in on the election that their bolt carriers would crack in use. Then people had to send them back and wait for god knows how long to get them replaced.
They are good if you have 1500 bucks for an AR but wanna spend 800 on beer.

October
09-28-2011, 6:44 PM
JD Machine or Del ton, which is better? They both are about the same price...

eli45
09-28-2011, 7:25 PM
lasts longer under heavy use. Heavy use buy a BCM "top end at least" Range toy ,,,whatever. This link should help seperate the opinions from the facts https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AqmgMm61Ok7WdExwaG16OENzOEZ1akp2a3Y2NjMxTEE&single=true&gid=2&output=html

Thanks, this is the kind of hard data i need and i havent been able to find it elsewhere!

palakaboy
09-28-2011, 8:18 PM
DTI gets my vote for budget builds....

951temec
09-29-2011, 12:11 AM
del-ton uppers are like $399

you can buy a daniel defense or bravo company one for that much and transfer your bcg and ch to it.
$20 for handgaurds and you're set

E Pluribus Unum
09-29-2011, 9:56 AM
del-ton uppers are like $399

What you talkin bout willis??

Their entire rifle kit comes with everything but the stripped lower for $465.

Greg Mercurio
09-29-2011, 3:41 PM
Don't really know if they're any "good" at all. But they sure make funny little holes.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/Greg_Mercurio/Group1.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/Greg_Mercurio/Group2.jpg

JavelinFangs
09-29-2011, 11:40 PM

sarcasm noted, watch you step as you exit the thread. :)

thegamettt
09-30-2011, 9:44 AM
I bought a del-ton for my first since it was the cheapest. I've shot numerous high end rifles since then, and at one point decided to build a Noveske/Vltor, but since my del-ton shoots more accurately then I can, I think I'll pick up another one, but in carbine length this time.

h0use
09-30-2011, 10:07 AM
you cant go wrong with one of there kits. I own one my self. for the price it cant be beat. you can also check out csc arms as well.

tacticalcity
09-30-2011, 10:12 AM
what about this one from JSE? i dont know anything about SS barrels

http://www.jsesurplus.com/16dtim41x9556natostainlesssteeluppercompletewith4r aildsc2pchg.aspx

Stainless barrels: Stainless steel is softer metal than can be easily machined. The end result is a close to perfect rifling which increases accuracy. The down side is that because it is softer metal it wears out faster. Competition guys who are cool with replacing barrels as often as race car drivers replace barrels are cool with the extra expense because it gives them an edge. Bench rest guys who shoot a round per minute or two are also cool with it because they prevent wear and tear by reducing their rate and volume of fire. But both soldiers and plinkers need a chrome-lined barrel which hurts accuracy just a hair but drastically increases barrel life.

evidens83
09-30-2011, 10:31 AM
My DTI carbine upper was excellent. Never gave me a problem whatsoever 100% reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for a weekend plinker.

itsjoe
09-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Can't beat S&W M&P15 for $640, with lifetime warranty. I've never had any issues with mine, 5R rifling, no jams...great AR for the money

blazeaglory
10-01-2011, 1:00 AM

From what Ive read/heard I would stay away from del tons LPK's.

From experience I would DEFINITELY own another del ton upper. I bought (from a calgun member) the heavy barrel model with CL and it functions flawlessly. Its on a CMMG lower and I have no complaints.

blazeaglory
10-01-2011, 1:03 AM
I'm surprised no one ever mentions the Obama bolts. Their QC went so south trying to cash in on the election that their bolt carriers would crack in use. Then people had to send them back and wait for god knows how long to get them replaced.
They are good if you have 1500 bucks for an AR but wanna spend 800 on beer.

Ive never heard about this. Is this a joke or a rumor? Im sure if it was true there would be more complaints

Maddog5150
10-01-2011, 4:59 AM
Ive never heard about this. Is this a joke or a rumor? Im sure if it was true there would be more complaints

Newp. They had a recall. Can't find it on del tons website anymore but a quick Google search yielded results about it from other forums.

railroader
10-01-2011, 5:01 AM
Actually it was true. They got a bad batch of bolts where the heat treat wasn't right on some of them. I saw just a few people post about them. Del-ton acknowledged that there was few bad ones out there but they also promptly replaced the defective ones. This happened after the last election when all the manufacturers were super backlogged and trying to catch up. If I remember right they changed companies that did the heat treat on them after that. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_100/191341_.html Mark

dieselpower
10-01-2011, 5:42 AM
DTi is a major player in the AR game. They manufacturer AR15s in both standard and budget price buckets.

The budget price is determined by a streamlined QA process omitting time consuming testing that doesn't cut into safety testing.

The Bean-Counters determine what part in the manufacturing process has the potential to cause the least amount of errors and they remove testing for those errors. They also cut out "fit and finish" inspections, but maintain the quality by removing process that cause "fit and finish" errors. What you are left with is an AR15 that cost less to produce. It also has a high chance of running just as long as any other AR15 manufactured.

The only buyer that can not buy this type of AR15 is one who will receive the rifle and go directly into a combat setting with little to no test firing. Civilian, and even LEO can buy DTi budget builds without a problem since not even SWAT does that.... and if any LEO comes on here and disagrees with me you need a smack to the back of the head if you are not training and shooting your go-to weapon weekly or daily... OR if you would take a weapon into a life or death situation without first working the weapon hard simply because it has a "fan-boy" name on the side.

DTi's standard weapon line is priced about the same as any other AR15 manufacturer because they manufacturer and test in accordance with known good ISO. DTi = BCM when you buy the DTI manufacturer to the same standards. The same manufactured components are in both firearms, they both go through the same level of testing, they both produce the same results. No one even a "Hard User" will see a single difference.

timmyb21
10-01-2011, 6:05 AM
:cheers2::thumbsup:DTi is a major player in the AR game. They manufacturer AR15s in both standard and budget price buckets.

The budget price is determined by a streamlined QA process omitting time consuming testing that doesn't cut into safety testing.

The Bean-Counters determine what part in the manufacturing process has the potential to cause the least amount of errors and they remove testing for those errors. They also cut out "fit and finish" inspections, but maintain the quality by removing process that cause "fit and finish" errors. What you are left with is an AR15 that cost less to produce. It also has a high chance of running just as long as any other AR15 manufactured.

The only buyer that can not buy this type of AR15 is one who will receive the rifle and go directly into a combat setting with little to no test firing. Civilian, and even LEO can buy DTi budget builds without a problem since not even SWAT does that.... and if any LEO comes on here and disagrees with me you need a smack to the back of the head if you are not training and shooting your go-to weapon weekly or daily... OR if you would take a weapon into a life or death situation without first working the weapon hard simply because it has a "fan-boy" name on the side.

DTi's standard weapon line is priced about the same as any other AR15 manufacturer because they manufacturer and test in accordance with known good ISO. DTi = BCM when you buy the DTI manufacturer to the same standards. The same manufactured components are in both firearms, they both go through the same level of testing, they both produce the same results. No one even a "Hard User" will see a single difference.
Perfect. Too many "fan boys" for the other guys. Just because my rifle says Del Ton doesn't mean it'll fall apart and verbally assault me if it ever goes into battle while the Noveskes and LMT's run on spit and bad guy blood. If a rifle is well built it'll work. Buy the higher priced parts and spring for the options (MPI/HTP bolt, chrome lining, 1/7 twist, junk like that) and you will get the a rifle that's just as good as anything out there. So, for the newbs who ask this every week:

Del Ton is good to go. Quality is fine. Buy it if you want to.

:D

racky
10-01-2011, 6:16 AM
my delton has been through 3 carbine classes and 1 appleseed. all steel cased ammo. 1 word: WIN!

railroader
10-01-2011, 1:00 PM
This is a quote from Del-tons industry forum on ar15.com. This is from august 2011.

We've found there's a little bit of misconception about our products. People think because we haven't raised our prices, then we're not doing the "upgrades". Well, we'd like to let everyone know that we've upgraded our standards!! These are the things we are now doing to EVERY rifle (or associated part) that leaves here....

- All flat tops have the extended M4 feed ramps
- All bolts are MP/HP tested
- If you order an upper or rifle with a flat top, it will have an F Marked front sight base
- Our carriers are properly staked, and sealed
- All barrels are parkarized under the gas block
- We only use taper pins on our barrels
- All barrels are made of Chrome Moly Vanadium. CMV is an upgrade from the standard chrome moly. We also have the option to chrome line the barrels, or not, and you can chose a 1x7 twist or a 1x9 twist on most profiles.
We offer all of these options to you, as the consumer, so you can chose what you'd like. We don't tell you the options, we let you decide exactly what you'd like.
- As always, each and every upper or rifle that leaves here has been test fired, not a single one leaves the place without having that done

Hopefully this clears things up a little. Please let us know if you ever have any questions!

mif_slim
10-01-2011, 1:17 PM
my delton has been through 3 carbine classes and 1 appleseed. all steel cased ammo. 1 word: WIN!

Yeah, but that doesn't cut it for those die hard "high end" fans. They would need you to run 1,003 carbine course, never clean the AR, shoot over 100,000 rounds thru it plus another 50,000 rounds underwater/while halo diving/in quicksand and they might approve of it. They require this because they've done all of the above and their highend AR made it. ;)

LBDamned
10-01-2011, 1:26 PM

you are doing yourself a disservice by dismissing it prior to researching it further...

Read this article: http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/06/benjamin-t-shotzberger/%EF%BB%BF-gun-review-smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport/

and search reviews on various sites... you might be surprised at what a good choice this is.

Now, if you want flash, look what I have (and spent) - there are better options... but it's not wise to completely dismiss the M&P15

biker777
10-01-2011, 1:30 PM
I was missing both takedown pin detent springs in a LPK from Del-Ton (no, they didn't shoot away into the abyss of my garage). Once I picked those up from Irvington Arms, everything works fine. Quality is satisfactory... like atv said, there may be some QC issues in packing kits for shipment. In the future, I'll always spend the extra $1 for a RRA LPK.

parts kits from Palmetto almost always have something missing, at least the ones I bought..so thats not a deal breaker or shouldn't be..I have had 2 Deltons and both performed flawlessly.

I have a delton lower set up on my current AR and its never given me any problems.Their uppers are pretty nice, I had a 20" heavy barrel upper and it was accurate and no problems either..

Thye are not top tier but they are far from junk..go for it..you wont regret it

biker777
10-01-2011, 1:31 PM

Nope ..and why waste the money? DTI are not bad products.

eli45
10-01-2011, 11:42 PM
you are doing yourself a disservice by dismissing it prior to researching it further...

Read this article: http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/06/benjamin-t-shotzberger/%EF%BB%BF-gun-review-smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport/

and search reviews on various sites... you might be surprised at what a good choice this is.

Now, if you want flash, look what I have (and spent) - there are better options... but it's not wise to completely dismiss the M&P15

my choice of wording was bad. i would never question S&W as i have a .357 highway patrol special, but when every mid to high end AR has the forward assist, it seems like S&W cut that out of their entry level AR for cost cutting, not to trim needless functions. and if im wrong, then why do their higher priced models have those features?

MustangSteveGT
10-02-2011, 12:17 AM
I've been looking at their rifle kits on their site and its about the best deal out there I could find. The upper is even already assembled from what I recall. I want to get a lower locally and an m4 style del ton rifle kit.
http://coldhandarms.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29&products_id=34&zenid=rhsgve9ifmqqfj1c3t70c97vl6
http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt103.htm

racky
10-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Yeah, but that doesn't cut it for those die hard "high end" fans. They would need you to run 1,003 carbine course, never clean the AR, shoot over 100,000 rounds thru it plus another 50,000 rounds underwater/while halo diving/in quicksand and they might approve of it. They require this because they've done all of the above and their highend AR made it. ;)

lol don't forget that it has to say mil-spec all over it or else it's not worthy enough for them to shoot :43:.

BTW, i have a mil-spec reflective belts for sale. i'm charging $50ea because they're used by the US special forces.

LBDamned
10-02-2011, 11:56 AM
my choice of wording was bad. i would never question S&W as i have a .357 highway patrol special, but when every mid to high end AR has the forward assist, it seems like S&W cut that out of their entry level AR for cost cutting, not to trim needless functions. and if im wrong, then why do their higher priced models have those features?

original ARs had no forward assist either...

99+% of ARs will never need forward assist - the fact that the M&P doesnt have one doesn't make it less functional. They simple aren't needed in the vast majority of circumstances. And if you look at the vid in the article I linked, you'll see how to overcome the unlikely event that it doesn't charge properly without forward assist (doubtful you will ever encounter this, I haven't and the greater majority of people dont).

The dust cover is the same scenario - it is highly unlikely that you will ever be in a situation where you will need one - but even in that (extremely) unlikely circumstance, there isn't a huge concern. The author of the article I linked put it through its paces is dirt/dusty conditions = no failures.

If you are looking for a fully functional, quality AR the is completely shtf worthy, there is absolutely nothing the M&P sport is missing.

The specs on the rifle are far from inferior.

Again, research the rifle, you will find that your impressions aren't warranted.

eli45
10-02-2011, 9:28 PM
original ARs had no forward assist either...

99+% of ARs will never need forward assist - the fact that the M&P doesnt have one doesn't make it less functional. They simple aren't needed in the vast majority of circumstances. And if you look at the vid in the article I linked, you'll see how to overcome the unlikely event that it doesn't charge properly without forward assist (doubtful you will ever encounter this, I haven't and the greater majority of people dont).

The dust cover is the same scenario - it is highly unlikely that you will ever be in a situation where you will need one - but even in that (extremely) unlikely circumstance, there isn't a huge concern. The author of the article I linked put it through its paces is dirt/dusty conditions = no failures.

If you are looking for a fully functional, quality AR the is completely shtf worthy, there is absolutely nothing the M&P sport is missing.

The specs on the rifle are far from inferior.

Again, research the rifle, you will find that your impressions aren't warranted.

Agreed, nobody seems to use their F.A., and if they do, most often it makes the jam worse! Ur link WAS very informative and definitely opened my eyes to their capabilities. As i said earlier i am new to the AR platform and appreciate/ need feedback! So thanks for schoolin the noob!

Speedpower
10-02-2011, 9:43 PM
Accuracy is not that great at all.

eli45
10-02-2011, 9:49 PM
Accuracy is not that great at all.

with what, the del-ton,or the S&W?

kozumasbullitt
10-02-2011, 10:19 PM
lol don't forget that it has to say mil-spec all over it or else it's not worthy enough for them to shoot :43:.

BTW, i have a mil-spec reflective belts for sale. i'm charging $50ea because they're used by the US special forces.

Are you serious about the reflective belts? I have been looking for some (notfor $50 of course).

JTROKS
10-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Are you serious about the reflective belts? I have been looking for some (notfor $50 of course).

If you have a friend that's in the USAF they have them all over the place. It's mandatory to wear a reflective belt during darkness and bad visibility. I wouldn't pay $50 for one even if it is endorsed by SOCOM. Now if you have a Ninja approved reflective belt I may just spend the $50 for it.

racky
10-02-2011, 11:55 PM
If you have a friend that's in the USAF they have them all over the place. It's mandatory to wear a reflective belt during darkness and bad visibility. I wouldn't pay $50 for one even if it is endorsed by SOCOM. Now if you have a Ninja approved reflective belt I may just spend the $50 for it.

hey the army wears them too :43:. but i think they're restricted to only the yellow ones. i've never seen them with any other color.

Speedpower
10-03-2011, 7:08 AM
with what, the del-ton,or the S&W?

Del-Ton

timmyb21
10-03-2011, 2:46 PM
Here's my Del Ton upper on a Doublestar lower. 1/7 twist, chrome lined, no problems what so ever. Accuracy is fine. It's not .5 MOA, but it'll hit what I aim at. I've got a couple thousand through it, mixture of all kinds of .223 and 5.56 (no steel yet, but my brother in laws Del ton eats steel cased ammo all day).

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/timb117/IMG-20111003-000381.jpg

Like I said before, good to go.

kozumasbullitt
10-03-2011, 3:06 PM
hey the army wears them too :43:. but i think they're restricted to only the yellow ones. i've never seen them with any other color.

I used to wear neon green ones when i was in the Army but it is impossible to find plain reflective belts in the civi world.

Iskra
10-03-2011, 5:27 PM
The last word on reflective belts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44UtJhQKP78

(some language NWFS, but really only language)

MrPlink
10-03-2011, 5:42 PM
The last word on reflective belts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44UtJhQKP78

(some language NWFS, but really only language)

LOL, Ive got a friend who is retired SF and talks like that.

back to the topic...