PDA

View Full Version : Wrong address issue

TheThousands
09-26-2011, 8:37 PM
Hi everyone,

A quick question, I just moved and my driver's license has my previous address on it. I'm in the process of purchasing a handgun and already have it on layaway, the guy at the shop just told me to bring proof of residence. I'm planning on bringing in my lease agreement and tomorrow am going to the DMV to get a DL 43 (Change of address certificate card). Is the DL 43 sufficient proof to purchase a firearm? Or will I have to renew my license as well and have my address on the actual card?

Thanks!

Bug Splat
09-26-2011, 9:15 PM
my local shop would not take it. I was in the same boat as you. Ended up using my old lic and car reg from my last address and just put my old address on my dros form.

Sebass
09-26-2011, 9:28 PM
Print out of your driving record from the DMV with your current address and Utility bill with your current address was all I needed :D.

Just saw that you have your 'lease agreement.' FFL told me that they needed something from a 'State Agency' with my name on it, so I got a printout of my driving record from the DMV as my car registration and DL have my old address on it.

Tempus
09-26-2011, 9:32 PM
I've been using car registration. Once you update the DMV address you should be able to hit one of the auto check smog places and get them to redo the registration - saves the dmv line time.

TheThousands
09-26-2011, 9:52 PM
ok so if I update my address and then get a printout of my driving record I should be ok? The identification doesn't have to have my picture on it or anything?

The only problem with the car registration is I don't have a car LOL But thanks for the help guys! I'm just going to get everything and bring it in, may as well be thorough :p

den888
09-26-2011, 9:57 PM
I used a voter registration card with my new address and a utility bill with my new address.
You should call your FFL and check, to make sure though.

TheThousands
09-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Yes I think that's best. I would have called today but their closed :/ I'm thinking an identification card might not be a bad idea? But I'll give them a call tomorrow to be sure of what they want.

CK_32
09-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Yea all the shops I've been to pretty much say SOL when the address doesn't match your current. Get that changed asap

tacticalcity
09-26-2011, 11:37 PM
When I was in your shoes I put my old address down. I used my old registration, drivers license with old address, and that was the address I wrote on the forms. Makes life much easier on everyone.

TheThousands
09-26-2011, 11:53 PM
yeah that's what I should have done... Lesson learned :/

whitesmile
09-27-2011, 12:55 AM
nice lesson, that is.

The SoCal Gunner
09-27-2011, 1:14 AM
Bust out the HSCSG and turn to page 34. Read the Proof Of Residency Requirement and you'll see that you are good to go with what you have.

Not all info provided to you on the internets are accurate.

Proof-of-Residency Requirement

To purchase a handgun in California you must present documentation indicating
that you are a California resident. Acceptable documentation includes a utility
bill from within the last three months, a residential lease, a property deed or
military permanent duty station orders indicating assignment within California.
The address provided on the DROS must match either the address on the proofof-
residency document or the address on the purchaser’s California Driver’s
license or Identification Card [PC section 12071 (b)].

The SoCal Gunner
09-27-2011, 1:20 AM
In other words, your CDL address doesn't need to match the proof of residency address.

I've posted this info numerous times already. Any gun store should have a copy of the HSCSG on hand.

halifax
09-27-2011, 6:05 AM
Hi everyone,

A quick question, I just moved and my driver's license has my previous address on it....

This may also present a problem for meeting federal requirements:

Form 4473 Instructions:
Question 20.b. Alternate Documentation: Licensees may accept a combination of valid government-issued documents to satisfy the identification document requirements of the law. The required valid government-issued photo identification document bearing the name, photograph, date of birth of transferee may be supplemented by another valid government-issued document showing the transferee's residence address...

As stated above the DL 43 (Change of address certificate card) is not sufficient for federal purposes. Neither is a lease agreement or utility bill unless it's from a government entity. Vehicle registration or DMV printout are among the most common forms of Alternate Documentation I see but there are many others: CCW, 03FFL, Pilots license, Property Tax statement, etc.

TheThousands
09-27-2011, 7:53 AM
So from what I gather the utility bill satisfies the state of CA's requirement but both my driver's license and the bill is needed to satisfy a federal requirement. Since the address on my license does not match the address on my proof of residence (utility/lease) then I either need to a)change the address on my license or b)obtain some other form of federally-issued ID with a matching address.

whew thanks for the help everyone! I'm sure this is just a simple question but it still tripped me up :(

halifax
09-27-2011, 8:01 AM
So from what I gather the utility bill satisfies the state of CA's requirement but both my driver's license and the bill is needed to satisfy a federal requirement. Since the address on my license does not match the address on my proof of residence (utility/lease) then I either need to a)change the address on my license or b)obtain some other form of federally-issued ID with a matching address.

whew thanks for the help everyone! I'm sure this is just a simple question but it still tripped me up :(

Only government-issued, not necessarily federally-issued.

Sebass
09-27-2011, 12:45 PM
ok so if I update my address and then get a printout of my driving record I should be ok? The identification doesn't have to have my picture on it or anything?

This

I used my current address on my DROS with my current Utility Bill and printout from the DMV. So if you haven't filled out the 4473 yet, make sure to update your address with the DMV and get a printout from them as well as a current Utility bill and you should be GTG :D.

TheThousands
09-27-2011, 1:24 PM
AWESOME. Ok I'm all set now, thanks everyone!

Liberty1776
09-27-2011, 1:37 PM
Print out of your driving record from the DMV with your current address and Utility bill with your current address was all I needed :D.

Just saw that you have your 'lease agreement.' FFL told me that they needed something from a 'State Agency' with my name on it, so I got a printout of my driving record from the DMV as my car registration and DL have my old address on it.

Yes sir!! He is correct ..I had the same issue as I moved, no reg wrong address no utility bill, I thought I was fu*ked

kiloechovictor
09-27-2011, 6:50 PM
I'm in the same boat, I just turned 21. My DL has my old address, but I have a lease agreement and a DMV driver's record on the way. I'm not sure if it will have my previous or current address, I mailed a change of address form about a month earlier than the driver's record form. Am I Kosher either way? I feel like a mutt for asking.

Liberty1776
09-27-2011, 6:59 PM
whatever you do..DO NOT LET DMV WHOLE PUNCH YOUR CDL!!!

EricT
09-27-2011, 7:52 PM
I think Im in the same boat as you and have been wondering the same exact thing.

CDL: Address 1
Utility Bill: Address 2
Lease Agreement: Address 2

I'm assuming I am stuck with a change of address or new ID card? Ugh

Sebass
09-27-2011, 9:36 PM
I'm assuming I am stuck with a change of address or new ID card? Ugh

Change of address card will NOT work. Just update your address via the DMV website and/or go down to the DMV and get a printout of your driving record with your updated/current address.