View Full Version : Fish and Game Commission votes to ban Pb in big game hunting

02-04-2007, 5:59 AM
Final decision next month. Only question is to ban state wide, specific areas, or offer incentives.

02-04-2007, 6:14 AM
In November, a consortium of environmental and American Indian groups sued state wildlife regulators seeking a ban on the use of lead bullets in the state's condor ranges.

The ban will not affect Indian groups.

M. Sage
02-04-2007, 7:37 AM
Translation: I'll never be able to hunt in CA.

Thanks a lot, gun grabbers!! Friggin idiots.

02-04-2007, 9:27 AM
The problem with the proposal that has so far been floated, is that it only applies to Deer hunting in those areas. If one really stops and thinks about this, it is not the few gut piles that are the issue (even then they can be buried). Instead if one feels that the Condors are truely suffering from bullet lead (open to debate), then they should look at varmit shooting. There are more coyotes, jackrabbits, ground squirrels, ect that are shot by NON hunters each year in these areas, all year round. I would say it is this type of shooting that can contribute to the problem with the Condors (more than deer hunting does) as the carcasses are almost always left in the field for vultures, condors and other scavangers to eat. The few deer gut piles (that only happen during a few weeks in Oct) is not the issue here. So banning lead bullets for deer hunting is really barking up the wrong tree if the lead poisioning is coming from bullets/shot.

Now on the flip side, if it only applies to Deer hunting, I really don't see a big impact on the hunter. Most hunters will not shoot very many shells in a season, and therefore could use barnes, or other such bullets to do the job. Yes it will mean $10-$15 more a box than the cheaper hunting loads, but it is available. And more is coming onto the market all the time.

What I fear is that if this ban passes, it will eventually evolve into a area wide ban on lead ammo and be enforced year round for all shooting sports in the area. That is what will be the death of shooting in CA.

02-04-2007, 12:58 PM
This is just very wrong, it's the camel's nose under the tent; and it must be stopped.
Is there any GOOD science that hunter's ammo is the problem?

If so, make gutpile burying or removal mandatory, don't ban ammo - it's just the first step.

02-04-2007, 2:35 PM
if I cant use lead what will I use? solid copper projectile?

guess I'll have to use this stuff: http://www.azgfd.com/pdfs/w_c/condors/non-lead%20ammo%20list.pdf

02-04-2007, 6:38 PM
This one is really sneaking up on us.

02-04-2007, 6:58 PM
lead poisoning huh? we'll how come other scavengers that eat dead animals left by hunters aren't dieing all over the place from lead poisoning?

Sounds like gun grabbers are aligning with the environmentalists which can be very bad for gun owners.

02-04-2007, 11:55 PM
They did this back in New york to the waterfowl hunters, no lead shot , had to use bismith(sp) or steel shot, same ban is going into effect for lead sinkers for fishing. They say some fowl that use pebbles to open crustation shells would pick up lead shot and get lead poisoning........