PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new M1A

Yerman
09-26-2011, 5:47 PM
So, the old man came across some money and I talked him into buying a Springfield M1A. Any ideas where we can get the best price? I found this one for a pretty good price online...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_41/products_id/11812

level 10
09-26-2011, 6:09 PM
try turners they go on sale periodically i think 1599. for the loaded model

fpeel
09-27-2011, 2:34 PM
As said above, one of the Loaded models is the way to go. Slightly better sights and a matched tuned trigger for not a whole lot more than the Standard model. A walnut stock is also recommended as they are generally considered to be stiffer than the composites.

e-zee
09-27-2011, 4:39 PM
I saw some great deals on them at the Crossroads gun show in Costa Mesa. I bought a M1A Scout for $1350.

Derrick P.
09-27-2011, 6:12 PM
There are some on the firearms 4 sale forums.

demi
09-27-2011, 6:23 PM
only reason i bought an AR was because i didnt want to spend so much money on an M1A and its sad because im now just noticing i spent more than i intended to and now i want to trade my stag 2T for one..im such a dip but thats just how my life goes ha

cfusionpm
09-27-2011, 7:04 PM
only reason i bought an AR was because i didnt want to spend so much money on an M1A and its sad because im now just noticing i spent more than i intended to and now i want to trade my stag 2T for one..im such a dip but thats just how my life goes ha
Owning both an AR and M1A, the AR may get more trigger time (thanks to the cheaper ammo), but the M1A is by far my favorite. :)

demi
09-27-2011, 7:16 PM
i was brought up a good point by my friend chris that theres that tul steel case ammo though its still cost more than 5.56 its pretty cheap and yeah i love shooting his socom its real nice

cfusionpm
09-27-2011, 8:13 PM
I find the DAG German surplus stuff is good if you can shoot somewhere that allows magnetic ammo. It runs decently cheap at $85/200rds off CTD. I ran through some cheap non-magnetic reloads I picked up from LAX at the last Crossroads gun show that all fired flawlessly. Shoot dirty as heck, but had no failures in the bunch and was decently accurate. They were $90 per 200 rds.

gotshotgun?
09-28-2011, 10:22 AM
A walnut stock is also recommended as they are generally considered to be stiffer than the composites.

This is backwards...

Sunday
09-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Buy one that has forged parts not made in Taiwan type parts.

email
09-28-2011, 10:30 AM
This is backwards...

On the socom 16, the composite stock is really flexy.

thai562
09-28-2011, 10:34 AM
I have a M1A Loaded for sale with the ebr stock. But you can buy the gut for $1300 and get the stock somewhere else.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=474774&highlight=ebr

ChrisO
09-29-2011, 8:42 AM
On the socom 16, the composite stock is really flexy.

I can tell you that the composite stock that comes on the new guns are really flexy and it is no where near the quality of a fiberglass USGI stock. It's not going to degrade accuracy or have any effect on the weapons reliability. I love the feel of a wood stock but it makes the weapon so much damn heavier.

I have went through a crap load of AR's and of course in the end I always end up trading them off. I love the AR platform it is great and damn reliable but for a general purpose rifle I find my m1a socom with SEI front end kit fills that niche a little better for me. I also got extremely tired of neutering my guns to comply with the bullS*** laws of CA. The BB or featureless AR loses it's appeal to me as a general use carbine. Now a varmint gun thats a different story but I love being able to pull the socom out and have 20 rounds of .308 available in a pinch even if it hurts the wallet a little more.