PDA

View Full Version : Makarov question

Paul_R
09-26-2011, 6:15 PM
I have a Bulgarian Makarov in apparently excellent shape. When I load 8 rounds in the mags, the slide sticks open on the first 2 rounds. If I push up on the mag, the slide closes. 6 rounds or less in the mags, everything works just fine. I'm using Silver Bear HP ammo.

Anybody have any idea what's causing this?

vintagearms
09-26-2011, 6:16 PM
when did you change out the recoil spring last?

Paul_R
09-26-2011, 6:17 PM
The gun is new to me, I've never changed anything out.

thefinger
09-26-2011, 9:24 PM
It's probably the recoil spring. Change it out and report back here if the problem persists.

luckystrike
09-26-2011, 10:10 PM
I am guessing off the top of my head, but it sounds like your slide-stop may be out of spec

GWbiker
09-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Go to this link and scroll down to troubleshoot....

http://www.makarov.com/tech.html

Also, click onto detail disassembly in same link......

Bulgarian Makarov can be completely disassembled without any special tools. Parts snap into place. Take yours apart and clean everything with alcohol. Don't use anything caustic on the frame as you'll remove the bluing. Recoil spring goes on with tight end first. Use Slide Glide or TW25b grease lightly applied on internal part lugs, frame to slide and frame to barrel contact points.

You have one of the finest Warsaw Pact handguns ever mass produced. Reliable, surprisingly accurate and cheap to shoot.

Pearse Grip's in Texas sell a hard rubber replacement grip that make recoil seem like that of a .22lr.