PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory 1911 Long Slide vs Olympic Arms Matchmaster 6

xxxx
09-26-2011, 5:43 PM
Both in the same price range - what 1911 would you prefer and why? I am going to buy one of them with out a doubt.

http://olyarms.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v8.tpl&product_id=126&category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=5

http://www.springfield-armory.com/assets/pdf/1SPRINGFIELD_Book_armory_PX9628LP.pdf

I am not that knowledgeable on the 1911 platform. Of course this isn't a "tactical gun" and it would be great if you could leave aesthetics out of the equation. My questions are:

Which has better build quality?
Which is a better shooter?
What pros and cons do each firearm have? (The Springfield has a bull barrel for example and ambidextrous safety)
Which (not including aesthetics) is closest to the original 1911 platform?

I would love to get all the input I can get.

xxxx
09-26-2011, 8:09 PM
Suddenly no one on the internet had opinions?!?!?

Evil Quint
09-26-2011, 8:31 PM
I've never shot either so I really can comment on function much but I like the Springfield. Seems like it is more customized and has more of what I, or my gunsmith, would put on it. It is the "Loaded" model with a long slide. They are rare also and very few have them. My dad just bought the springfield longslide but he still has ~8 days before its out of jail. I am not sure if he will let me shoot it but I will at least try to get some pics for the calguns community.

Just so you have some reference I love 1911s but the standard GI model only appeals to me if its an older colt. Otherwise today's versions seem to be better shooters and just look cooler to me. A RIA GI model is pretty cheap and longslides are not standard GI models.

bombadillo
09-26-2011, 8:53 PM
I can say with a reputation like springfield, they'd be hard to beat. BUT...........I really like that frame on the Matchmaster 6" with the bull barrel better. That is one sweet looking gun with a single finger groove, different frame, different barrel, great looking parts, and if it shoots half as good as it looks, that would be a money shot right there. If you can single shot it, I think I'd go with the Oly Arms gun if it were me just for the rarity and being a bit different. I'd have a smith do a flush recessed 11* target crown on it for me too.

KillerRabbit
09-27-2011, 3:47 AM
First off I am not really a pistol guy so I don't feel as confident giving advice on pistols as I do rifles. I do like OlyArms products, that being said I don't think they are currently selling anything in California. It's a political statement on their part (not one I agree with). The other thing is I don't think any of their pistols are "approved" for sale in California so it's probably a moot point on which one to buy here. And yes I do have a 5" Matchmaster.
Dirk

skyscraper
09-27-2011, 7:24 AM
ONly the springfield is on the approved roster, so keep in mind you will have to do an SSE if you want the olympic.

xxxx
09-27-2011, 9:44 AM
First off I am not really a pistol guy so I don't feel as confident giving advice on pistols as I do rifles. I do like OlyArms products, that being said I don't think they are currently selling anything in California. It's a political statement on their part (not one I agree with). The other thing is I don't think any of their pistols are "approved" for sale in California so it's probably a moot point on which one to buy here. And yes I do have a 5" Matchmaster.
Dirk

Please tell us of the quality of the 5" Matchmaster. How does it stack up to the Loaded? And being rostered/off rostered is not an issue.

KillerRabbit
09-27-2011, 11:05 AM
I like the pistol, it seems well made to me and it is accurate. I don't really like the finger groove as my hands are a bit big for it but you can get the frame without the groove if you want. I have not seen the Springfield so I really can't compare. I hate to be vague but I just don't shoot handguns much. While I shoot thousands (and thousands) of rounds through a rifle every year it has been at least a year since I have used any handgun. In the 15 years that I have owned the Matchmaster I bet it hasn't seen 200 rounds.
Dirk

huckberry668
09-27-2011, 12:21 PM
I've shot several high end Springers but never the OlyArms (Safari Arms) MatchMaster. Had a chance to examine them both at the shot shows a couple of times over the years. Last time I saw and played with them was at the 2009 Shot Show.

The fit and finish is better on the Springfield long slide as I remembered. I checked the slide, frame, barrel and bushing fit, exteral finish and smoothness of overall operations.

here is an article from Gun-Tests on the 5" versions:
http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/may96limited.html