PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thread on reloading

C.G.
02-04-2007, 12:37 AM
http://www.snipershide.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=005489

See what you think.

Cazach
02-05-2007, 3:37 PM
Interesting read. I think the effects of capitalism and the constant desire for "something better" affect just about every hobby.

Funny I shoot almost the exact same setup except that I am using 168SMK's right now. I don't necessarily agree with not cleaning up the lube but it will more than likely just create a housekeeping issue inside the rifle and not affect accuracy.

K.I.S.S. applies.

dw1784
02-05-2007, 5:43 PM
thanks for the link, C.G. I have to agree with one of his detractors though. It doesn't prove anything other than iterating the fact that consistancy leads to accuracy. The only variable none seems to have point out is the shooter himself. As one of my instructor used to say: it's the operator, not the equipment. Perceived inadequecies cured by additional expenditure in equipment. As Cazach points out, that's how shooting industry operates. In a way, that's how reloading becomes a hobby.:)

C.G.
02-05-2007, 6:13 PM
thanks for the link, C.G. I have to agree with one of his detractors though. It doesn't prove anything other than iterating the fact that consistancy leads to accuracy. The only variable none seems to have point out is the shooter himself. As one of my instructor used to say: it's the operator, not the equipment. Perceived inadequecies cured by additional expenditure in equipment. As Cazach points out, that's how shooting industry operates. In a way, that's how reloading becomes a hobby.:)

I just found it interesting and since I am a relative noob to reloading I am fairly anal about it. I am not going to do what he did but maybe I'll relax a little.:)

Tzvia
02-05-2007, 6:59 PM
I don't think I would shoot a round with case lube on it. Not a good idea. The case expands and has to 'grip' the chamber walls or it can be driven back (equal and opposite reaction) against the bolt face, eventually causing bolt setback. Not a good thing.

thmpr
02-05-2007, 7:14 PM
C.G... Thanks for the link. This just proves that the powder charge and OAL is consistent. But the only I would thing I worry about is the filth that goes into the barrel from a dirty case...

tankerman
02-05-2007, 7:40 PM
The filth would go in the chamber more than the barrel. I prefer RCBS sizing wax. I can't stand those oil pads or spray on junk, too much hassle.

Gunsrruss
02-05-2007, 10:35 PM
After I size and trim, if they need to be trimed. I will put the cases back into the hopper and clean them good. They will be bright and shinny when the primer, powder and bullet go in. To do other wise gentleman is to be sloppy. I hope I didn't step on anyones toes.

tankerman
02-06-2007, 6:38 AM
After I size and trim, if they need to be trimed. I will put the cases back into the hopper and clean them good. They will be bright and shinny when the primer, powder and bullet go in. To do other wise gentleman is to be sloppy. I hope I didn't step on anyones toes.

Why would you size and trim before cleaning? Fouling up your sizing die with crud. Never heard of anyone sizing before cleaning

phish
02-06-2007, 11:59 AM
I think he meant sending the batch through the tumbler for a second round to remove the sizing lubricant.

:)

ocabj
02-06-2007, 12:15 PM
His thread is nothing surprising. Lots of people reload in different ways. A friend of mine resizes his brass before tumbling. Personally, I always tumble/clean brass before it goes into the resizing die.

Some people don't trim, whereas I do.

Some people weigh and sort brass, whereas I don't.

I think all he's trying to show in his 'test' is that reloading doesn't have to be strenuous to attain accuracy, which is true.

You can always do the minimum amount of work necessary to obtain good accuracy.

It's worthy to note that his rifle isn't a factory rifle. It's a custom gun with a quality barrel, not a mass production factory barrel. So it has a lot more potential of accuracy. The load he is using is pretty standard, and it wouldn't surprise me if it has characteristics to Federal GM or Black Hills red box.

Ninja45
02-07-2007, 4:10 PM
Do whatever works for you, I'd say. Some people are more meticulous and AR than others. It all boils down to whether or not you are happy with the results you are hoping for.

Having said that, I wonder how much more improvement there would have been had the guy did the other extra steps of case preps and cleaning out the lube from the completed rounds.

Just my 2 cents.

Ninja45

Ninja45

CAT_101
02-09-2007, 8:10 AM
I think he meant sending the batch through the tumbler for a second round to remove the sizing lubricant.

I do this after I finish reloding. 10 minnuts does the job.

CSACANNONEER
02-09-2007, 8:53 AM
I do this after I finish reloding. 10 minnuts does the job.

This can be a dangerous practice. Although I know several people who routinely tumble loaded rounds (much of it being surplus or just old), it is not a safe practice. It can lead to the powder breaking down. Which, in turn, will result in a faster burning powder. This will produce higher and possibly danerous chamber pressures. I agree that 10 minutes probably won't hurt your fresh reloads but, I don't want anyone to make the mistake of thinking that tumbling loaded rounds is safe. If you chose to do this, you need to know that there is a potential for damaging firearms, serious injury and death.

Fjold
02-09-2007, 9:05 AM
This can be a dangerous practice. Although I know several people who routinely tumble loaded rounds (much of it being surplus or just old), it is not a safe practice. It can lead to the powder breaking down. Which, in turn, will result in a faster burning powder. This will produce higher and possibly danerous chamber pressures. I agree that 10 minutes probably won't hurt your fresh reloads but, I don't want anyone to make the mistake of thinking that tumbling loaded rounds is safe. If you chose to do this, you need to know that there is a potential for damaging firearms, serious injury and death.

Winchester and Remington both finish tumble their loaded ammunition in huge industrial dryer sized tumblers.

xrMike
02-09-2007, 9:49 AM
So does Black Hills on their blue box/remanufactured stuff. If you look carefully at the hollow points you'll usually see a tiny piece of tumbling media stuck in there. Doesn't seem to affect accuracy any.

grammaton76
02-09-2007, 4:05 PM
Gah... seen people posting "Warning! Danger!" on both sides of the tumble-after-loading argument. Uh... wish I had a clue which side to go with.

30Cal
02-09-2007, 4:32 PM
Interesting read. I spend less effort at the reloading bench than he does by quite a bit and my stuff flies pretty well.

Ty

xdpackin
02-14-2007, 4:53 PM
I always like to tumble the cases to get the lube off

Gunsrruss
02-14-2007, 6:56 PM

I always run the brass through a second time so they are clean. The lube can make a case stick and then stretch it when it is ejected. Do the right thing and make sure your brass is clean.