PDA

View Full Version : .22 lr conversion

peter95
09-26-2011, 3:42 PM
Anyone here had experience from this company?
Looking into getting a conversion kit for my AR so I can mess around with it when going indoors near my house instead of just the shotgun and pistol.

Targetmasterconversions.com?

This is the product
http://shop.TARGETMASTERCONVERSIONS.COM/Target-Master-Conversion-Unit-with-26-Rnd-High-Capacity-Magazine-101.htm

Any help appreciated.... I am about to pull the trigger on this one. Thanks.

dieselpower
09-26-2011, 4:04 PM
Anyone here had experience from this company?
Looking into getting a conversion kit for my AR so I can mess around with it when going indoors near my house instead of just the shotgun and pistol.

Targetmasterconversions.com?

This is the product
http://shop.TARGETMASTERCONVERSIONS.COM/Target-Master-Conversion-Unit-with-26-Rnd-High-Capacity-Magazine-101.htm

Any help appreciated.... I am about to pull the trigger on this one. Thanks.

thats not legal in CA since the magazine is over 10rds. I do not see how they are selling a .22lr with bolt hold open for $130.... I didnt think that feature was availble on regular conversion systems. I thought it was only on the $200 Evolution models sold by CMMG.

yes they will allow you to fire .22lr ammo from your AR15 chambered in .223/5.56. I have never used blanks in one.

BAGunner
09-26-2011, 4:29 PM
The "bolt hold open" feature has nothing to do with the Bolt Catch. It just means the follower in the magazine will block the bolt, this way the bolt will be held open on an empty magazine. If you remove the magazine the bolt will close.

The CMMG Evolution one is more complete since it actually uses the AR bolt catch to close the bolt. You need to add BHOA ($20) and BHOA Gen II mag ($30) for its stronger spring.

bernieb90
09-26-2011, 4:34 PM
Riflegear has the same conversion with California compliant 10rd mag for $199.99. The holdopen is a function of the magazine.

http://www.riflegear.com/p-516-cmmg-22-conversion-kit-with-10-round-magazine.aspx

I have the older Ciener conversion and it runs like a champ if you keep it wet. I got Black Dog 10 round mags with the bolt hold
Open feature, and I love it.

peter95
09-26-2011, 5:40 PM
Someone was telling me that a conversion could mess up the barrel. Any thoughts?

dieselpower
09-26-2011, 5:56 PM
Someone was telling me that a conversion could mess up the barrel. Any thoughts?

didn't know there was a magazine that held the bolt open.. good info thanks. I do the conversions, just never looked into all the options in them.

The conversion can clog your gas system if you do not fire 223 or 5.56 every few hundred rounds. The .22lr round will slide around in the barrel and will wear the rifling a bit more than a normal round, but its not a major thing. It would be if you are a competition shooter in which case you want a .22lr barrel not a conversion bolt.

bohoki
09-26-2011, 6:00 PM
if you fire like thousands of rounds you will have to clean the chamber well and probably take the gas tube off and clean it out

but if you just fire a couple hundred and then brush out the chamber and fire some 223 all the crud in the gas system ends up on the back of your bolt as extra gunk cake

i have the m261 and its not as reliable as a 10/22 but the magazines have always held 10 and they are neat to use in a ar pistol(10 round non detachable) unlike with a rifle where if you make it 22 you can have a grip and detachable

bernieb90
09-26-2011, 6:59 PM
There is no way that a soft lead bullet at 1/3 the velocity ia going to hurt a chrome lined ordinance steel barrel. More people have worn out their .22 barrels through excessive cleaning than have ever shot them out, and most of those are not chrome lined 4140/4150.

Munny$hot
09-26-2011, 8:06 PM
There is no way that a soft lead bullet at 1/3 the velocity ia going to hurt a chrome lined ordinance steel barrel. More people have worn out their .22 barrels through excessive cleaning than have ever shot them out, and most of those are not chrome lined 4140/4150.

I'm not to worried about it for the same reason. I've shot 4-700 rounds of Federal bulk ammo and never had any function issues when switching back to 5.56. Shooting a couple 5.56 will clean out the gas system, so IMHO no need to disassemble the gas system to clean it.

crazychinaman
09-27-2011, 8:15 AM
They are a copy of the orignal colt used to sell years ago .The magazines are Blackdog mags. They work fine in all Ar's except in 24 inch barrels. I have a cmmg version with colt factory high cap mags and with ten round Blackdog mags. Also, they do not like cheap 22lr ammo.

CK_32
09-27-2011, 9:24 AM
Op look at cmmg. They are great kits. I got a SS one used here for $120 shipped from a member and it was like new. Then bought 3 black dog mags for $20 each. Didn't want to shop around and just use the kit. Paid around $200 total for a solid system.

SS usually go for around $200 them selves when I bought it. They had a cheaper model for about $130 new heard it had a lot of jamming and cleaning issues due to the finish.

I have a few videos on my YouTube channel on that system if your interested. So far I have 2000 rounds down mine 1200 of federal not a single problem and about 800 of Remington and the Remington gives me FTF every mag. (ITS THE AMMO) but the kit works amazing!

The "bolt hold open" feature has nothing to do with the Bolt Catch. It just means the follower in the magazine will block the bolt, this way the bolt will be held open on an empty magazine. If you remove the magazine the bolt will close.

The CMMG Evolution one is more complete since it actually uses the AR bolt catch to close the bolt. You need to add BHOA ($20) and BHOA Gen II mag ($30) for its stronger spring.

Yea the "bolt hold open" is just the mags I bought black dog mags and they come with this tap that just blocks the bolt from closing. But cmmg does have a after market part you can buy to work with your ping pong paddle. Worth it.. Not to me.

peter95
09-27-2011, 7:38 PM
The 22 doesn't bounce around in the barrel right?

dieselpower
09-27-2011, 7:43 PM
The 22 doesn't bounce around in the barrel right?

bounce... No. It is under sized for the rifling though. about .003 too small...lol

thats a joke people...dont need to go all crazy on the specs...

peter95
09-27-2011, 8:40 PM
bounce... No. It is under sized for the rifling though. about .003 too small...lol

thats a joke people...dont need to go all crazy on the specs...

LOL. Sounds good. I guess that was my main concern...

Cl_32, thanks. I will look into the cmmg kit. Saw your YouTube videos, not a bad Chanel you got there... =)

Seesm
09-28-2011, 2:25 AM
I HAVE had gas tubes clog up.. They are a lil bit to clean up but a .223 / 5.56 every few hundred round usually does the job cleaning the tube but still can clog..

shadow65
09-28-2011, 6:21 AM
We did some testing on the Tatget Master and they ran fine.
The Stainless CMMG Evolution is still the best I have tested for relability, function, and features. None other has the features of the Evolution.
Forward Assist
Live round extraction
stainless steel
cotter pin holds the firing pin
push pin holds the extractor
field strip/repair with no tools
The very best is the India with a brass locking lug that locks the conversion to the barrel via the 5.56 chamber lugs. Rock Solid and extremely reliable. I've never had a malfunction with mine. Better accuracy also.
Dave N

Munny$hot
09-28-2011, 7:42 AM
^^^^^ This guy has the best prices and most knowledge on CMMG kit on the net^^^^