PDA

View Full Version : Building my own AR rifle

s0calflip
09-26-2011, 1:48 PM
Quick question:

i have heard that if i build my own AR rifle, does it have to follow the same specs to make it california legal?

Is there advantages to making your own AR rifle than just buying a already built one?

Thanks for the advice in advance....

infernl
09-26-2011, 1:51 PM
Absolutely. Follow the flowchart and you'll be fine as far as California legality.
Advantages include a complete understanding of the weapon and the ability to completely select the components that are most important to you.

21SF
09-26-2011, 3:15 PM
Same rifle, same law. Just a better understanding of how it works and choice of parts as the benefits. Sometimes cheaper.

robcoe
09-27-2011, 6:45 AM
Quick question:

i have heard that if i build my own AR rifle, does it have to follow the same specs to make it california legal?

Is there advantages to making your own AR rifle than just buying a already built one?

Thanks for the advice in advance....

Yes you need to follow all laws.

the big advantages are

1. Knowing everything that went into your gun

2. Knowing how much care was used in your rifles assembly

3. Cheaper, just finished my first and for around $700 including shipping on the parts I managed to put together a AR with an 18 inch stainless steel barrel, ergonomic grip, larger trigger guard, adjustable stock, ect. Pricing similar guns at stores I usualy see them for $850-$1000.

4. You built it, so if something breaks you know how to fix it.

peter95
09-27-2011, 6:59 PM
Write your own essay or trust someone to write it for you for a small fee?

Doing it yourself makes you aware of what you put in it and its many times cheaper....

Sunday
09-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Write your own essay or trust someone to write it for you for a small fee?

Doing it yourself makes you aware of what you put in it and its many times cheaper....

And it is fun !!!

tacticalcity
09-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Good for you. Enjoy it. It is a fun process.

edgerly779
09-28-2011, 11:11 AM
I am assembling 2 right now .Just pinned and welded pin in 16" barrel 20" is smooth barrel no threads. One is a1 od color colt with teardrop f/a. Other is free float 20" hbar with scope and riser. Both are LRB lowers. Each is costing about $600 without optics.