PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW OF PRIMARY ARMS 3X SHORT SCOPE

bubbapug1
09-26-2011, 12:57 PM
I am writing a review of the NEW Primary Arms 3X short scope.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/bubbapug1/reticle-1-1.jpg

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/bubbapug1/primaryarms3x.jpg

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/bubbapug1/primaryarms3xrightside.jpg

I sold my ACOG about a year ago and have been looking for a replacement for it. I wanted a nice compact scope for my AR pistol and regular AR-A2. I ended up mounting the unit on the pistol with a 7.5" barrel.

The Primary Arms (PA) unit looked to be similar in size and magnification to the ACOG so I ordered one last week.

I installed the unit on Thursday, and sighted it in at 25 yards on Thursday evening, I also put another 100 rounds of 223 and 200 rounds of 22 through it. 25 yards is hardly a good test, but the unit held zero nicely and the reticle is nice and crisp, along with the optics in general.

Sunday I took the unit to Burro and put another 150 rounds of 223 and 200 yards of 22lr through the pistol. The scope held zero, and was usable at 100 yards.

The small center dot is dot is 1.7 moa. Each subsequent bar below it is roughly 3.2 moa (see chart below), which makes drop adjustment very easy.

The illumination is provided by battery and works very well, although for shooting in daylight no illumination is required at all.

Clarity is excellent but not as good as a Trijicon ACOG, but for $179.00 dollars versus $1,000.00 the difference is negligible.

The eye relief, and sensitivity to eye distance for the PA 3X is in my experience and opinion only...better and easier to deal with.

The scope is supplied with a mount to use on a picatinny rail, or you can use it directly on an A2 carry handle.

I highly recommend this scope, there is little in the space of 3X that competes with it on its price level.

Droppin Deuces
09-26-2011, 2:16 PM
Nice write-up. I actually got to use the Burris version for a few days before I got an ACOG. They should call this the BCOG or PCOG:p Contrary to your experience, I found that the eye relief was a little harder to deal with than on the ACOG. It just seemed less forgiving to me. That's not a knock against it at all, though. It was obviously a very nicely built piece.
What was your opinion of the reticle? I found that it covered targets past 300 yards a little more than I would have liked, but on closer stuff it worked well.

bubbapug1
09-26-2011, 6:21 PM
I haven't used it at 300 yards yet. At 100 yards its 1.8". Thats not all that bad as an AR 15 pistol with a 7.5" barrel is not going to be too accurate past 200 yards. I'd like to try it on the steel at angeles at 300 yards to see how it works for me, but at that distance I like my nightforce 8 x32's!!

The chevron didn't work that great for me, it was a bit ambiguos for shooting super tight groups for some reason. I do however like the no battery illumination of an acog, but for $800.00 I will live with batteries.

bubbapug1
09-29-2011, 9:46 PM
I am bumping this because after using it again I realize this sight is really the cat's meow. If you need a nice 3x scope for your AR or AR pistol, or your AK, this sight will do the job of a much more expensive optic choice.

h0use
09-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Were are the optics made?

socalocalypse
09-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the review

bubbapug1
09-30-2011, 8:42 AM
No doubt its made in China, but I can't say for sure.

You can contact them via their sub forum here on calguns. I just want to get the word out as it took me three years to find a cost effective scope in the space of short tube and 3x.

marsh1
09-30-2011, 8:44 AM
No doubt its made in China, but I can't say for sure.

You can contact them via their sub forum here on calguns. I just want to get the word out as it took me three years to find a cost effective scope in the space of short tube and 3x.

It is. No where else to go and keep it in this price range.

Marshall

Low-Pressure
09-30-2011, 3:02 PM
I have the Micro and I am very happy with it. Customer service is top notch too! :)

BANG BANG
10-09-2011, 4:01 PM
thanks for the quick write up !!!

bubbapug1
10-09-2011, 6:06 PM
Not a problem. The more I use it the more I think this optic is really great. I used it at 100 yards at Burro on an AR15 pistol with a 7.5" barrel. While its not a nightforce BR 8 x 32 it still let me hit the target (8" circle) on each shot.

mlevans66
10-09-2011, 8:10 PM
I have the Burris 223 and it works the same. I replaced the mount with a mount made for an ACOG and it work great. Nice write up by the way.

smalltime
10-10-2011, 2:25 PM
I finally took mine out yesterday and it works great. The front sight post on my 16" mid length is a slightly visible blur but barely noticeable. It does just what I wanted and I'm real happy with it.

http://i.imgur.com/FiHZr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/x9jFJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iXhO0.jpg

fixitoscar
10-10-2011, 2:36 PM
Nice write up. PA has some good stuff. I have thier 5x magnifier it works and looks great.

markhu
10-11-2011, 3:28 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking for something like this for awhile.

bubbapug1
10-11-2011, 7:01 PM
Thanks for the compliment. It looks like the Burris and the PA are very similar, someone borrowed from someone, thats for sure!! The burris is shown as $310.00. Is that about the going price?

I have the Burris 223 and it works the same. I replaced the mount with a mount made for an ACOG and it work great. Nice write up by the way.

blackbok
10-11-2011, 10:21 PM
It is. No where else to go and keep it in this price range.

Marshall

Marshall,

Does this come with its own mount or do I need to add the AD mount?

bubbapug1
10-13-2011, 7:39 AM
It comes with its own mount. You can mount to a rail, or remove the secondary mount and attach it to an AR carry handle like on an A2 rifle. Just like an ACOG.

blackbok
10-13-2011, 9:58 AM
It comes with its own mount. You can mount to a rail, or remove the secondary mount and attach it to an AR carry handle like on an A2 rifle. Just like an ACOG.

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to drop the xtra cash on a mount to get it going out of the box.

bubbapug1
10-13-2011, 10:12 AM
That's one of the reasons I went with the PA scope, as most others require you buy the $45.00 carry handle to rail adapter. However, this one came complete....less the rifle of course.

glock7
10-15-2011, 11:26 AM
PA scopes are gtg. I have their red dot and a 3x9 scope. Good stuff for the price point. They ship very quickly.

markhu
04-06-2012, 5:29 PM
I bought in November 2011, but didn't get to install and shoot until March 2012. I had gone out on a limb and bought 2, one for my AR and another for one of my 10/22's (the one without the Tech Sights).

Happy to report that they both worked great! The only thing I might need to change is the 3rd-party rail for the 10/22: I can't remember if I got the 15-minute, or flat, but I might need the other one, since it took A LOT of turns to get to vertical zero.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking for something like this for awhile.