PDA

View Full Version : Finally looking to buy a scope!

tvfreakarms
09-25-2011, 11:21 PM
I've been looking to buy a scope for my AR15 (5.56). Any good suggestions for a decent scope? Again not looking to buy an expensive scope but i guess my price range would be under $300(closer to the low $200's).
In the past i thought about getting a red field, bushnell, nikon or if i got lucky and found a good deal on a leupold with the bdc. But because of budget strains i couldn't buy one at the time. But now i'm looking to buy one soon. One of the main reason i want to get a scope is because i'm getting a little tired bringing my spotting scope and tripod with me to the gun range all the time plus other crap i bring with me to the range gets a little cumbersome.
As of right now i'm only shooting out to 100yrds but as i get better i will be shooting further away. I plink but also working on my precision shooting skills as well.

I was thinking about getting one of these to 2 brands:

REDFEILD REVO (http://www.opticsplanet.net/redfield-revolution-4-12x40mm-riflescope-matte-finish-4-plex-accu-range-reticle.html)

NIKON Buckmaster (http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-riflescope-buckmasters-4-14x40.html)

Any other suggestions i'm open to. This will be my first scope i've owned for my AR.

Merc1138
09-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Find a local shop, look through the scope in person. Look at something in your pricerange, and then look at something in the $500-$700 range. The reason I say that is because you just might find an appreciation for better glass without breaking the bank and hitting the 4 digit mark.

Something else to consider that was mentioned in the thread you made about spotting scopes, you don't need high magnification if the glass is clear enough. Your barska at 60x looks like crap, right? It's because the glass sucks. You have to make up for the crappy image quality by zooming in further to be able to see anything. I can see hits at 100 yards fine with the leupold vx-3 on my .308 at 7-8x or so. That goes back to the quality of glass issue. See the difference for yourself, then decide if you want to save up some more cash or not. A great 3-9x40 will be better than a "meh" 4-14x40.

edit: Also don't forget the cost of the mount.

HK Dave
09-26-2011, 6:39 AM
Nikon M223 2-8x

sonnyt650
09-26-2011, 7:01 AM
Any good suggestions for a decent scope? Again not looking to buy an expensive scope but i guess my price range would be under $300(closer to the low $200's).

Cabela's has the 3-9x VX-I on sale for $180 with 50 shipping, though you missed their extra special 50th Anniversary Special which knocked off maybe $5 more. I believe even the VX-I (VX-II and up for sure) has the Leupold Gold Ring Warranty w/ lifetime defect work, though bent and dented tubes are on you. Having personally purchased cheap (~$150) optics that were destroyed when their retical's vertical orientation skewed or lenses just popped out due to .308 bolt action recoil, the warranty is more valuable than you'd think.

I understand what you're saying regarding the weight and hassle of a spotting scope but you're looking at serious money in a good scope to replace it. With my old Leupold 3-9x40 VariX 2c (~$300 maybe way back when) I just can't see .223 bullet holes at 100 yards, can barely make them out with my 5-15x Bushnell 3200 ($350), and they're only truly visible with a 6-18x VX-II ($550).

OTOH my 6.5-20x Simmons Whitetail Classic from MidwayUSA held up better than expected, again barely able to make out .223 bullet holes at 100 yards. Freakishly huge and heavy, it sat on my .308 and I'd just pick that rifle up to look through the scope to get a feel where the ARs were hitting.

Rexxss98
09-26-2011, 7:33 AM
I just ordered Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24

Ziggy91
09-26-2011, 8:13 AM
http://www.shopbarska.com/Riflescope-6-24X50_IR.html

I may be getting this one I'd my current ordeal falls through...
I'm not sure why people hate Barska so much, good price, solid construction, lots of options. I've never heard of anyone having problems with these, just people talking crap. I almost wana think they're angry because they overpaid for a Trijicon or something...

Merc1138
09-26-2011, 8:43 AM

I'm not sure why people hate Barska so much, good price, solid construction, lots of options. I've never heard of anyone having problems with these, just people talking crap. I almost wana think they're angry because they overpaid for a Trijicon or something...

http://void-star.net/x/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Hoop
09-26-2011, 9:38 AM
If you want a 1-4 carbine type of scope look at the leatherwood and burris offerings (burris is probably better built). For something with 10X or so max get the weaver 3-10 mil mil. If you want a varmint scope get a nikon buckmasters or monarch. Also get a 1pc mount, the weaver and burris ones are 60-70$ and they work.

edit: If you are willing to spend more than 300 then get a 1-4 vortex PST for a carbine optic or a super sniper FFP 3-9 for an all-around optic. For a mount get bobro or ADM (the super sniper can be bought for 600 with a bobro mount which is a killer deal).

Vacaville
09-26-2011, 9:42 AM
I've got a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 - 14X and a Redfield Revolution 2 - 7X. Both are solid, well made scopes with good resolution out to the edges. Have to give the edge in brightness to the Buckmaster though. You look into it and the whole world seems bright and crisp.

Other brands/models to look at in your price range are the Vortex Diamondback and Burris Fullfield II. They were also on my list when I was shopping for my scopes, both had very positive reviews.

Coyotegunner
09-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Just ordered a second Simmons Predator Quest 4.5-18-30mm tube.They have a $20 rebate until the end of the year.For the coyote/rabbit/rodent rigs,wow what a great scope.I own several VX3s up to the 8.5-25,Zeiss Conquest up to 4-14,Burris Signature 6-24,Nikon Monarch,well you get the idea.A scope that is less than $200 and for what the Simmons will do.Just finished doing a 27 scope test of my own stuff over 3 day/nights.To beat the Simmons,I was looking at $700 plus price tags.

tvfreakarms
09-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Well it seems i may up the price on my scope. Although i can't go to high because of my budget and what not. I guess i will look at the $300 to $400 range.
I know having a huge scope on my AR carbine will look a little funny but i do plan on buying a .308 cal and more than likely i will put that scope onto my .308.

What about this brand? Or something similar in price range that is better than this nikon?

nikon monarch (http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-2-5-10x42-Monarch-Riflescope-Mildot/dp/B000YAVMXK/ref=sr_1_20?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1317111453&sr=1-20)

Droppin Deuces
09-27-2011, 6:08 AM

Spoken like someone who has never actually used a Trijicon product. I have a Barska scope, and while the one I have has turned out to be a better value than I had expected in some ways, it still couldn't hold a candle to the Trijicon or Leupold scopes I have.

TROYSD
09-30-2011, 11:24 AM
leupold vx-2 on sale at cabelas now 3-9 269.00. i just bought one

grant22
10-01-2011, 6:40 PM
leupold vx-2 on sale at cabelas now 3-9 269.00. i just bought one

How far is that good to? 200, 300 yards?

I ask because my Barska is a 24x magnification and can barely see the bullseye at 300 yards.

Thx for any input.

Cobra Tactical
10-08-2011, 3:29 PM
What kind of distances are you shooting at and what are the sizes of the targets that you are going to be engaging? I would honestly save up just a bit more money and get something that you are going to be happy with and that is going to hold zero than sell yourself short but not spending the extra money.