PDA

View Full Version : SKS Upper Bolt - Universal?

October
09-25-2011, 8:45 PM
Looking to replace the upper bolt (the metal piece with the handle on it) on my Norinco. Was wondering if there was a difference between the yugo and norinco when it came to that part? Do I need a specific size?

kalieracer
09-25-2011, 9:05 PM
You will need to have the head space checked and it might need some fitting. It is called the bolt carrier btw.

bellson
09-25-2011, 10:33 PM
You will need to have the head space checked and it might need some fitting. It is called the bolt carrier btw.

Note wanting to embarrass anyone here, but...

1. You can replace your Norinco Bolt Carrier with any SKS Bolt Carrier. the only difference is the cocking handle. You may need to do some minor fitting, emphasis on MINOR. if the bolt carrier is obviously not fitting, then I would say re-evaluate. I have used Yugo, Romy, Russian, and Albanian carriers in Chinese SKS rifles with no fitting at all.

2. Head space on an SKS is established by the actual bolt, and the locking shoulder, and their relationship to the breach of the chamber. Not the bolt carrier.

Again, not trying to flame anyone, FAL works the same way as does the SAFN49 and MAS among others.

tujungatoes
09-26-2011, 9:51 AM
Note wanting to embarrass anyone here, but...

1. You can replace your Norinco Bolt Carrier with any SKS Bolt Carrier. the only difference is the cocking handle. You may need to do some minor fitting, emphasis on MINOR. if the bolt carrier is obviously not fitting, then I would say re-evaluate. I have used Yugo, Romy, Russian, and Albanian carriers in Chinese SKS rifles with no fitting at all.

2. Head space on an SKS is established by the actual bolt, and the locking shoulder, and their relationship to the breach of the chamber. Not the bolt carrier.

Again, not trying to flame anyone, FAL works the same way as does the SAFN49 and MAS among others.

^this is correct