PDA

View Full Version : A Refreshing Thread For Revolver Fans

jdg30
09-25-2011, 8:38 PM
I've been meaning to write a thread like this for some time now. It seems like the majority of CA handguns threads are about 1911 this, Glock that, autoloader this, problem with autoloader that. This thread is a little different because it has nothing to do with autoloaders and nothing to do with problems with function.

I like autoloaders and have a quite a few of them. I have a variety of Glocks in different calibers and also an excellent Dan Wesson CBOB 1911. I've bought and sold and have no desire to get rid of the autoloaders I have now. Over the years I've obtained almost all the pistols I desire and definitely more than I'll ever need. The conclusion I've come to is that if I ever had to get rid of one type of handgun and keep the other style I'd choose Revolvers exclusively.

I'm fortunate to have my CCW for a couple years now and have switched around quite a few guns on my permit. I've recently come to decide which guns I shoot the best and which ones I carry the most and it turns out they are all revolvers. I shoot at least every weekend and also during the week. I enjoy shooting my revolvers the most. I reload so ammo price isn't that much of an issue; if I didn't reload I would either be broke or not be able to shoot as often.

My latest CCW choices are a S&W 686+ 2.5" (.357), S&W 640 (.357) and Ruger SP101 (.357). I've gone back and forth between autoloaders and revolvers but I know that I shoot revolvers best and like the advantages of them. I prefer all steel revolvers since they are enjoyable to shoot and are actually pleasant to carry once you get used to it. I carried an airweight j-frame a lot, but when it came down to practicing, I finally realized I enjoy shooting steel j-frames better so that is what I chose.

Recently I replaced my well-liked Glock 36 with the S&W 686+ and S&W M&P 340 with a steel S&W 640. I've been carrying the 686 2.5" a lot IWB and have shot about 800 rounds through it so far. None of my revolvers have had any malfunctions. They shoot tight groups and I really enjoy shooting them. I like that I don't have to pick up my ejected brass after firing. I've smoothed up some of the internal parts on my revolvers and they have excellent smooth triggers. I also installed tritium front night sights on all 3 carry revolvers to be able to see the barrel in low light/at night.

I enjoy shooting my autoloaders but the more I shoot revolvers the more I know that they are my favorite type of gun. I'm not trying to say that auto fans are wrong, but I think many people overlook one of the best type of handguns ever made and rely on magazine capacity over skill in shooting a proven reliable platform.

Here's some pics:

Current CCW setup: S&W 686+ 2.5", Ruger SP101, S&W640 (each has Badger boot grips)
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=116063&stc=1&d=1317007704

Another view:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=116064&stc=1&d=1317007737

Most of my revolvers, from top down left to back up on right side; S&W 642, 325 Nightguard (.45acp), 686+, Ruger SP101, S&W 640, Ruger GP100, S&W 625 (.45acp), and S&W M&P 340
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=116065&stc=1&d=1317007737

Revoman
09-25-2011, 8:48 PM
Always been a revolver guy, heck that's my name....ever so good and reliable is the revolver!

smattenson
09-25-2011, 8:53 PM
I just wanna say very beautiful revolvers and beautiful choices! I am loving the wood grip's you have on some of them, great taste :) truly. I own a glock 19 and still love revolvers as well :) o no now ill burn right? ;) . Seriously though great collection

bwiese
09-25-2011, 9:10 PM
Revolvers rock. I have a ton myself.

The older I get the more I lean to revolvers over autoloaders.

shamu415
09-25-2011, 9:16 PM
I think its the classic look, reliability, and something different that gravitates me towards a revolver. Thanks for sharing !

Aircraftman
09-25-2011, 9:21 PM
Couldn't agree with you more, except where are the Colts?

My CCW is a mid 70's Cobra (so light you hardly know its there) and when I want to show off a snubbie Diamondback (just like Frank Bullitt).

Great thread, thanks!!

ckprax
09-25-2011, 9:32 PM
I love revolvers, especially S&W's. I am young but grew up shooting wheelguns so that is where my heart lies. I appreciate the benefits of the autoloaders and own a couple, but my go to guns for the range and HD are revolvers.

I have a long wish list which includes some autoloaders; I always end up crossing a revolver off the list. They are beautiful, have character, works of art and seem to have a soul. An autoloader is simply a tool.

bsg
09-25-2011, 9:46 PM
thank you for sharing, and showing your revolvers; i enjoyed!

Snapping Twig
09-26-2011, 8:35 AM
Revolvers are inherently:

More powerful

More accurate

More reliable

As compared to auto loaders.

Not saying auto loaders aren't powerful, accurate or reliable. What I am saying is that revolvers are chambered in more powerful calibers, have fixed barrels for accuracy and are simple in operation with fewer moving/indexing parts.

I have an old W. German P220, a good 1911 commander and a Ruger Mk II and I admire each of them and enjoy using them, but I have LOT of revolvers and most are in magnum calibers and all but a couple start with a 4.

For woods use, a revolver gets the nod every time. Big chunks of lead at moderate to high velocity, accurately delivered - good stuff.

For urban duties, I like an auto loader in 45acp. Slim and easily concealed, fast to draw, good on follow-up shots, large chunks of lead at moderate velocity - ideal.

If I had to choose one over the other, I'd always fall on the revolver side.

Dark Mod
09-26-2011, 8:47 AM
Revolvers have more moving parts, and are much more complicated. Id like to see a revolver pitted against a glock in terms of reliability too. But i do agree with you as far as cartridge choice is concerned.

I think they have their place but ive never considered them more acurate or more reliable than an autoloader.

Im a big revolver fan who owns several revolvers and not a single glock

kunho
09-26-2011, 8:51 AM
I have a Rossi 2" M-68 as well as my Glock 19, love them both for different reasons :)

davbog44
09-26-2011, 8:51 AM
Thanks for reminding me what a bonehead I am for parting with the two S&W Model 19s I have owned and foolishly let go over the years.:)

bombadillo
09-26-2011, 8:53 AM
The more I've gotten into handguns, its been a real quandry for me. While I love autoloaders, I am more and more appreciating a great trigger over much else. I love everything about revolvers with the exception of round capacity. My concealed gun is a Ruger LC9 which is 8+1 so really no more than you're carrying for the most part, and nothing to worry about except something getting jammed up in the hammer or the wheel. My next gun is going to be a blued 6" Ruger GP100 with adjustable sights so my wife can shoot light load .38sp out of it. I had a Colt Trooper .357 4" that I wish I had never sold. It was absolutely the poor man's python. LOVED the trigger on that thing. Sold my super redhawk and wish I hadn't. Can't wait to get a new .357 and .44mag in a revolver and those will be my next two.

Lots of people will tell me NO, DON'T DO IT, but I'm going to try the raging bull in .44mag and see how she shoots. If nothing else, I'll sell it if I don't like it, and get another super redhawk.

Full Clip
09-26-2011, 8:54 AM
The older I get the more I lean to revolvers over autoloaders.

Same, probably because I not longer want to bend over to pick up brass... :)
But also because I now better appreciate reliability and accuracy over speed and capacity...

OC-Indian
09-26-2011, 8:56 AM
I'm still waiting on the "right" deals for both a .45ACP and the S&W HP 8 shot .357 mag

gorenut
09-26-2011, 9:08 AM
My first handgun was a revolver so they have a permanent place in my heart. That said, I like semis and revolvers equally for different reasons. I admit, I do bring out my semis to shoot more and I tend to only bring out the wheelguns when bullseye shooting.

CalNRA
09-26-2011, 9:39 AM
It's always a blast to shoot some good groups with a plain old GP100 while the shooters with their 3k+ custom 1911s spray the target...

(and I love 1911s too)

RedFord150
09-26-2011, 9:44 AM
Revolvers have more moving parts, and are much more complicated. Id like to see a revolver pitted against a glock in terms of reliability too. ...

I have owned 8 or 9 revolvers, mostly Rugers. I have shot dozens more. Only 1 has failed, it was a Taurus.
Every Autoloader I have ever shot or owned had at least one FTF or FTE.
What exactly do you mean by reliability?

bigj480
09-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Revolvers are inherently:

More powerful

More accurate

More reliable

As compared to auto loaders.

Not saying auto loaders aren't powerful, accurate or reliable. What I am saying is that revolvers are chambered in more powerful calibers, have fixed barrels for accuracy and are simple in operation with fewer moving/indexing parts.

I have an old W. German P220, a good 1911 commander and a Ruger Mk II and I admire each of them and enjoy using them, but I have LOT of revolvers and most are in magnum calibers and all but a couple start with a 4.

For woods use, a revolver gets the nod every time. Big chunks of lead at moderate to high velocity, accurately delivered - good stuff.

For urban duties, I like an auto loader in 45acp. Slim and easily concealed, fast to draw, good on follow-up shots, large chunks of lead at moderate velocity - ideal.

If I had to choose one over the other, I'd always fall on the revolver side.

All things being equal Revolvers are slightly less powerful because of the cylinder gap AND a shorter barrel at any given OAL. Yes, they can be had in magnum calibers, which brings us to our next issue. The felt recoil of a revolver in the same caliber as a semi is increase. A revolver chambered in a magnum cartridge is even worse. The also are low capacity, slow to reload of oddly shaped for carry because of the cylinder.

All that said, I love the look and feel of steel revolvers and a good revolver is far from the worst choice a person could make. As a matter of fact, my current carry is a snag free S&W 640 Centennial. They are more reliable in my experience. I would probably sell a revolver if it jammed on me once, almost certainly is it happened twice. An occasional jam is to be expected in a semi, even if it's just ammo related, though my only semi, a Glock 19, has been perfect.

BajaJames83
09-26-2011, 10:38 AM
I love my SW 586. I shoot it better than any of my auto's.
crisp trigger and mild recoil.
i got some good loads for it now too...
beats picking up brass all day....

scarville
09-26-2011, 11:02 AM
I have owned 8 or 9 revolvers, mostly Rugers. I have shot dozens more. Only 1 has failed, it was a Taurus.
It is not always easy to agree on what makes a gun "reliable". Read enough gun boards and you will see all kinds of definitions and criteria. Some guys define reliable as X failures in N rounds which, in my experience, usually means their preferred gun can meet that criteria. Me? I'm an engineer (ex-Aerospace and now Systems) and a devotee of the KISS principle. I define reliability in a gun very simply: If a gun is maintained according to the manufacturer's recommendations and fed ammunition which conforms to industry standards for that caliber then the next time I pull the trigger, the gun will function perfectly.

Perfectly in this context means absolutely zero failures. It must work every single time. It does not matter how many rounds I shot through it over the weekend or whether it was just cleaned or not. If maintained as directed and fed industry standard ammunition, the gun will fire, perform whatever actions are necessary to ready it for the next shot and will continue to do it until gun is empty. Then it must repeat that cycle after I reload it.

One FTF, FTE or other F-UP means the gun is, at best only a percentage of reliable. If it works with everything but one brand of ammunition (that meets industry standards), then it is only mostly reliable.

Anything else such as sand, flour and mud wrestling or turning it into a popsicle, are the ballistic equivalent of playing Fight Simulator. Entertaining but I don't fool myself into thinking I can land a 747.

RedFord150
09-26-2011, 11:36 AM
...Me? I'm an engineer (ex-Aerospace and now Systems) and a devotee of the KISS principle. I define reliability in a gun very simply: If a gun is maintained according to the manufacturer's recommendations and fed ammunition which conforms to industry standards for that caliber then the next time I pull the trigger, the gun will function perfectly.

Perfectly in this context means absolutely zero failures. It must work every single time. It does not matter how many rounds I shot through it over the weekend or whether it was just cleaned or not. ...One FTF, FTE or other F-UP means the gun is, at best only a percentage of reliable. If it works with everything but one brand of ammunition (that meets industry standards), then it is only mostly reliable.

Thank you for the reply. I do realize it was not your post that I questioned.
Using your definition, almost every revolver I have ever owned or shot is more reliable than every autoloader I have ever owned or shot.
Another aspect of reliability is life expectancy. I have never personally worn out any gun. My favorite indoor range tells me a good autoloader can go over 100K rounds, based on their rental inventory. However, some may need major repairs after 5K rounds.
Looking at a full size Ruger revolver, I cannot imagine it is not capable of going 100K rounds or more. Unfortunately, this is only a presumption on my part. I have never fired 100K rounds through any gun.

MrMysterio13
09-26-2011, 11:46 AM
I am planning on getting my first revolver, a S&W Model 686 Plus (4" barrel). There is just something about a revolver that is so damn irresistible. Very reliable, simple, accurate, and just down right fun; I think it will add very nicely to my Ruger SR9.

Still need to shoot the 686 but as of now I love how it looks. :p

bombadillo
09-26-2011, 11:52 AM
I am planning on getting my first revolver, a S&W Model 686 Plus (4" barrel). There is just something about a revolver that is so damn irresistible. Very reliable, simple, accurate, and just down right fun; I think it will add very nicely to my Ruger SR9.

Still need to shoot the 686 but as of now I love how it looks. :p

If you're liking the looks of the 686, check out the GP100, because for a little less than half the price, you're going to get a great shooter, a solid gun that will shoot +P+ loads, and will last you forever.

Dark Mod
09-26-2011, 11:52 AM

I have never experienced any failures of any kind with any of my modern autoloaders. Even so, the extra "reliability" you get with a revolver is so minute that reliability shouldnt even be considered a part of grading criteria. So instead of jamming .000000000001% of the time it jams .000000000002% of the time.

Ive had plenty of failures with my revolvers, the main one being the ejector rod unscrewing under recoil so much that you cant open the cylinder. Either way, its nothing you cant smack open, and in an autoloader you just have to rack the slide back one time.

Jams are so rare, and the method of correction so easy, that any advantage of reliablility over the other is moot.

You hear some people talking about jams like they are the end of the world and happen all the time. Neither of which has been remotley true in my experience

ZombieTactics
09-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Beautiful collection of wheel guns, my friend. There is certainly an aspect of "romance" that no semi can equal IMHO. I certainly love my two revolvers, and plan to add more.

That being said, there are aspects of "gun lore" which continue to work their way into our consciousness despite trying to reason them away in the cold light of reality.

I find "reliability" to be among them, when the oft-repeated "wheel guns are inherently more reliable" meme gets offered up like a mantra. I have a suspicion where this notion comes from, and it really has almost nothing at all to do with any modern handgun design. I've yet to see a revolver which could not be almost completely disabled by simply dropping it at the wrong time and stepping on it the wrong way. I'm sure there are some, I just haven't managed to get anyone to let me try, lol. People do in fact drop things, and then step on them, so that use case has to be considered against any other imaginary/hypothetical case where a modern semi-auto would/could be similarly disabled. I've yet to see a case where a Glock (etc.) could be simply drop-stepped and be rendered completely (or even mostly) disabled. Yes, I've drop-stepped one of mine several times ... on purpose.

Aside from "reliability", I don't see anyone attempting to do the following with any revolver:
bj5Kcs4dzro
I don't know whether it's fair to call that a reliability test or something else, (maybe just "how stupid CAN you be?, lol) but it speaks volumes. Let me know when one of you wheel-gun guys buries yours. ;)

A lot can be said regarding accuracy I suppose. Snubbies tend to be iffy compared to compact semis, in my experience. If you put a long enough barrel and sight-radius on just about anything, it's a game changer. There seem to be more really long revolvers than semi-autos, so that seems to be a win in their column. I've never seen any data suggesting that there is anything inherently more accurate about a revolver than a semi-auto with similar barrel lengths, (assuming the chamber and barrel are measured as separate entities) so I have no idea why that idea even gets put forward.

I see a lot of comments about things that people "like" which appear to have nothing to do with the actual utility or effectiveness of the weapon itself ... nobody won a gunfight because of not having to pick up brass. I tend to think of self-defense more than anything else, so it's probably fair to note that this isn't everyone's focus, and it confers a genuine advantage in other contexts.

Like it or not, statistics aren't just "something that happens to other people." I admire anyone who can put all of their rounds exactly where they want them, but I haven't met that guy yet who has done it under life-or-death stress. I guess it depends on what you read and who you trust, but most of what I've read strongly suggests that you'll only be able to get hits with about 20% of the rounds fired ... if you are among the very best. It further seems apparent that 2-3 good hits are a minimum requirement to stop a threat with any sense of urgency, and often enough it requires many more or their are multiple assailants. If this is even roughly accurate, a sensible respect for evidence suggests that 10 rounds should be considered a minimum, or you better be able to reload really damned fast.

Kinda hard to talk numbers when you're in love, though. I've been "flirting" a lot lately myself, lol.

bombadillo
09-26-2011, 1:18 PM
I've seen front sights that dovetail in to extend the radius on the sights on autos too. Kind of a weird concept, but it literally extends the front sight out by 3-4" or so and looks goofy but works if you think about it. Haven't seen one in a long time, but there were a few in bullseye competition.

LDSGJimbo
09-26-2011, 1:41 PM
I love my Ruger .357 for its reliability and use it as my HD weapon. I don't want to have to wonder if I still need to rack the slide, or if its good to go. My brother always talks about how he can clear a misfeed from his Beretta in less than 2 seconds. I'm never impressed.

scarville
09-26-2011, 2:15 PM
Revolvers have more moving parts, and are much more complicated. Id like to see a revolver pitted against a glock in terms of reliability too.

Revolvers have more parts than most autoloaders though the difference is not as exaggerated as the Internet wisdom preaches. In a parts inventory some "parts" are really assemblies. For example the spring cup on a Glock is two pieces but is counted a one part. The trigger bar is counted as one part by Glock but, IIRC, is an assembly made of of five pieces.

So is the hammer on a S&W one part or three? The answer often depends on what the person doing the counting is trying to prove.

Total number of parts may be a useful guideline when comparing designs based on the same principle -- for example, comparing different locked breech autoloaders -- but it is only of marginal use when comparing substantially different systems. Parts count is only the tiniest consideration when comparing system reliability between a three speed automatic transmission and a four speed manual. Additionally, any good systems engineer can tell you that adding or subtracting a part or system of parts must be evaluated in the context of its affect on reliability. For example, adding a redundant load balancer ahead of a server farm adds another "part" but increases over all system reliability.

Besides, if parts count was really that important then all the Glock fanbois would be dropping them for the Caracal. :p

RECCE556
09-26-2011, 2:44 PM
Almost any gun that's made well is going reliable in an indoor range. Reliability, to me, means that it'll still work when it's in a harsh environment...because if a gun can handle the harsh stuff, why wouldn't it be able to handle a air-filtered indoor square range? The opposite doesn't not hold true. This isn't to say that ALL auto-loaders are reliable. There is a LOT of junk out there but let's not buy into and perpetuate the fantasy of revolvers being more reliable wholesale, because they're simply NOT.

Also, my 22LR revolver is LESS accurate than my Ruger MKII so again...both have fixed barrels...so how/why is a revolver just "inherently" more accurate? What about the effect the forcing cone on accuracy? Last time I checked, precision shooters like to load their bullets fairly close to the rifling for maximum accuracy...and if you're still fixated on fixed barrels, you guys do know that there are centerfire semi-autos with fixed barrels, right? (HK P7 for example)...to expand on that, my Ed Brown 1911 is more accurate than ANY of the my P7's (P7 PSP, P7 M8's and P7 M13)...the Ed Brown doesn't have a fixed barrel in case you're wondering. :)

As for more powerful calibers, true to a certain extent. If you take the same round (say .357 magnum) and put it in a auto-loader, it's MORE powerful because autoloaders don't loose pressure due to the lack of a forcing cone (anyone see the underwater pistol test?) If you want to compare power, compare a .45 ACP revolver to a .45 ACP autoloader. I'm pretty sure that chrono and ballistic gelatin test would favor the autoloader (not that I'd want to get hit with a .45 ACP from either a autoloader or a revolver!)

Beretta...never impressed.fixed it for ya. :)

ZombieTactics
09-26-2011, 2:53 PM
I should add that it might be fun to do a head-to-head Revolver vs. Glock "torture test" video. I have no idea really how that might turn out, but I have suspicions. If I have any takers with "donor guns", please let me know!

Just to be clear the first step will be a salt-water bath overnight, followed closely by a dunk in a over-chlorinated swimming pool. Then they'll be left out in the elements for a couple of days. It gets much worse.

PM me if interested!

Barbarossa
09-26-2011, 3:03 PM
Someone on here had a really slick 8 shot .357 with moon clips. I believe it was a S&W custom shop gun?

I was drooling over that thing, only thing it needed was a nice blued finish rather then the matte black.

shooting4life
09-26-2011, 3:10 PM
Line bored revolvers are the most accurate hand gun made (besides bolt handguns). I have personally seen someone shoot 5 shots from a freedom arms 83 revolver into a one inch group at 100 yards with a scope on bags. This is a specialty revolver that costs quite a bit but it is still less than the high end 1911's.
If people want to read about the revolver v autoloader reliability debate they can pull up the last thread about this. Cannot be more than a couple weeks old by now.

scarville
09-26-2011, 3:42 PM
Just to be clear the first step will be a salt-water bath overnight, followed closely by a dunk in a over-chlorinated swimming pool. Then they'll be left out in the elements for a couple of days. It gets much worse
Why not just put both in an oven at 450F for a couple of hours?

(Nylon 6 melts at 428F)

epcii
09-26-2011, 4:01 PM
I love revolvers, but they're typically too expensive for me in comparison to autos.

Echidin
09-26-2011, 4:16 PM
Have always loved my Glocks, but if I ever have to get rid of all my guns the revolvers will be the last to go.

Quickdraw Mcgraw
09-26-2011, 4:48 PM
SAME EXACT EXPERIANCE!!

DIFFRENT my glock27 is flawless, Kahr CW9 is flawless, CZp01 Flawless and of course my LMT is flawless...love those guns had to sort thru a few other to get em, but its worth it.

Have to say I love both for diffrent reasons, when headed into the woods in uncertian conditions there is somthing REALLY COMFORTING about my REDHAWK .44
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy28/gobears1997/DSC_0527.jpg

scarville
09-26-2011, 5:28 PM
I have never experienced any failures of any kind with any of my modern autoloaders. Even so, the extra "reliability" you get with a revolver is so minute that reliability shouldnt even be considered a part of grading criteria. So instead of jamming .000000000001% of the time it jams .000000000002% of the time.
Wow! Your autoloaders only fail twice in 100 trillion rounds? That's amazing!

jonzer77
09-26-2011, 5:49 PM
Revolvers are for when you get too old to pick up brass lol. I joke I joke :) I have been meaning to add a revolver to my collection but I like 1911's and that is my favorite platform because I shoot them better then any other platform that I have tried. One day I will add a python to my colt collection.

Very nice collection by the way!

Killawhale415
09-26-2011, 6:00 PM
This thread needs more pr0n!
http://i55.tinypic.com/jzvaz5.jpg

TheDeej
09-26-2011, 6:40 PM
My first revolver (that I will own, not my dad's) is in jail right now, S&W 686p 4". I'm extremely excited about it.

on another note, who the hell turned this into a Glock vs. revolver thread? Everyone get's it, Glocks are awesome, whatever. :facepalm:

simoncpj
09-26-2011, 7:20 PM
There is no comparing them, we should all own a high end 1911 and a Python, S&W, or Ruger 357/38sp

Peter W Bush
09-26-2011, 7:20 PM
fixed it for ya. :)

Oh please. I have a lot of handguns. A LOT. I shoot them quite often and VERY few guns are more solid and reliable as a good Beretta 9mm

scarville
09-26-2011, 7:25 PM
This thread needs more pr0n!

http://www.heronforge.net/blog/sw-686.jpg

Javi
09-26-2011, 7:31 PM
Sweet collection, sir! Add some cowboy single action pistols!

TheDeej
09-26-2011, 8:01 PM
Also, who's got some good links for some nice wood L-frame grips?

RECCE556
09-26-2011, 8:58 PM
Oh please. I have a lot of handguns. A LOT. I shoot them quite often and VERY few guns are more solid and reliable as a good Beretta 9mmWho said anything about it being not solid nor reliable? I've just never found them impressive but that's another thread...it's just an object, don't fall in love with it.

den888
09-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Nice collection!

ZombieTactics
09-27-2011, 8:17 AM
Why not just put both in an oven at 450F for a couple of hours?

(Nylon 6 melts at 428F)

I love the creativity! Seriously though ... salt water covers most of the Earth and is a common enough make it a rational test. People carry guns on the water quite a bit. The chlorinated pool is probably less realistic, but people do in fact have pools all over the place, and it's not unusual to think that police officers, etc. might be jumping into them from time to time.

If you can present a reasonable case where people regularly operate (or store) their guns in 450F environments, your test starts to make sense. Otherwise, you are just gaming the argument ... and there has already been a lot of that going on in this thread.

ckprax
09-27-2011, 9:42 AM

L and K frames use the same grip so there are a lot of options. Some are below (I am sure I am missing a few):

Hogue
Eagle
Badger
Nill
Speigel
Ahrends
Altamont
Keith Brown
Kurac - Calguns Member
Collins

There are also some very nice S&W wood grips out there if you look around.

bombadillo
09-27-2011, 9:59 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=816944

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/816/816944.jpg

Only about 50 bucks and factory smith and wesson.

scarville
09-27-2011, 9:59 AM
I love the creativity! Seriously though ... salt water covers most of the Earth and is a common enough make it a rational test. People carry guns on the water quite a bit. The chlorinated pool is probably less realistic, but people do in fact have pools all over the place, and it's not unusual to think that police officers, etc. might be jumping into them from time to time.

If you can present a reasonable case where people regularly operate (or store) their guns in 450F environments, your test starts to make sense. Otherwise, you are just gaming the argument ... and there has already been a lot of that going on in this thread.
My point is that is always possible to find a test that will favor a particular outcome.

For example a S&W 686 survived this:

http://archives.gunsandammo.com/video/handguns/torture-tests/bullet-barrel-bust

Fair test? Depends on who you ask.

Another example is a "test" intended to damage the nitrocarburized case on the rails making them more susceptible to corrosion. Given the flexing inherent in polymer frames this would aggravate stress corrosion cracking. (I suspect that is is why Glock recommends using only a small amount of oil on the rails) Because stainless steel does not rely on case hardening for corrosion resistance such a test favors a stainless steel gun.

I don't trust the so called "torture tests" you and other are so fond of posting. When I worked in aerospace I spent most of that time in quality and I learned very quickly the difference between a test designed to gather data and one designed to sell something. In fact, one of us coined a little witticism to describe the difference:

"A puddle of piss on the floor is not valid evidence of a leaking roof but it might get you to buy a new one."

scarville
09-27-2011, 10:09 AM
The more I try these, the more I like them:

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/revptmicgrip.htm

I don't like finger grooves because they slow down my acquisition and draw. The slim profile of the JM grips make it easier for me to get proper finger placement on the trigger. Also, if you carry concealed, the wood lets clothing slide over the grip and the rounded contours don't draw the eye like a sharp corner does.

RedFord150
09-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Almost any gun that's made well is going reliable in an indoor range. Reliability, to me, means that it'll still work when it's in a harsh environment...because if a gun can handle the harsh stuff, why wouldn't it be able to handle a air-filtered indoor square range? ...

My post referred to rental guns. These are shot a lot and rarely cleaned. Maintenance is performed on an 'as needed' basis and a steady parade of novice users. Too say rental guns are abused is probably an understatement.
I only used the rental gun analogy to say it is possible for a quality autoloader to go over 100K rounds. I am hoping my revolvers will last the same.

ZombieTactics
09-27-2011, 11:16 AM
My point is that is always possible to find a test that will favor a particular outcome. ...
... and some tests make sense because they at least attempt to mimic real-world conditions or hazards.

Fair test? Depends on who you ask. ...
... and whether they have any sense or are just gainsaying.

Another example is a "test" intended to damage the nitrocarburized case on the rails making them more susceptible to corrosion. ...
What would be the real-world condition this mimics or reproduces?

I don't trust the so called "torture tests" you and other are so fond of posting. ...
That's your right, but I'll note you haven't suggested a single reason why.

"A puddle of piss on the floor is not valid evidence of a leaking roof but it might get you to buy a new one."
Charming, but an irrelevant, out-of-context witticism does nothing but explain an attitude, rather than a reason. How do you suggest we "examine the roof itself" in this case?

If there is any reason why exposing a firearm to brine, water, sand, dirt, gravel and other common environmental "hazards" is unrealistic as a means of testing durability or reliability, I'd like to know.

This is especially germane in light of the continued repetition (and absolute lack of validation) of the "revolvers are inherently more reliable notion". If the kind of thing I have suggested is unrealistic, I'd like you to offer something that is, instead of mythical 450F melt tests or tests specifically designed to favor one design over another.

Dhena81
09-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Can we try and keep this thread on topic rather than talk about how reliable a Glock is, why does there always have to be a thread jack?

I really want to get myself one of those Nightguards in .45 acp.

scarville
09-27-2011, 1:31 PM
Can we try and keep this thread on topic rather than talk about how reliable a Glock is, why does there always have to be a thread jack?
You're right. Sometimes I fail to take my own advice about not wrestling with a pig in mud. I won't egg him on anymore. I even deleted my latest reply :p
I've been seriously considering one of those too. I'm not sure how much I'd want to shoot that light of a gun in 357 magnum. The more sedate 38 spl or 45 ACP are differenet stories.

ZombieTactics
09-27-2011, 1:45 PM
Can we try and keep this thread on topic rather than talk about how reliable a Glock is, why does there always have to be a thread jack? ... I fail to see how it is off-topic to discuss reliability when that is a primary advantage brought up regarding revolvers in almost every such thread, usually with attendant "more reliable than semi-autos".

My point is not necessarily to discuss Glocks, it's just that they provide a useful point of comparison. Glocks aren't even my favorite gun, FWIW.

There seems to be more than a bit of apprehension involved whenever anyone wants to challenge this cherished notion about revolvers. If people are so confident in making this claim, should they not be just as confident in demonstrating it? Why the fear? Why the running away? Why is it necessary to simply make happy-monkey-noises and "shun the unbelievers"? (lol)

If Glocks are too often discussed as a point of comparison, let's change it ... S&W M&P or something else.

It's hardly a thread-jack to discuss the very issues being raised. If this was intended to be simply a fanboi thread for religious zealots, I didn't get the memo. I see they're passing out the koolaid, so it's time for me to go.

shooting4life
09-27-2011, 3:25 PM
Alright
No one is saying semi autos cannot be reliable. No one is saying that in extreme conditions that almost no civilian will ever experience that some pistols are more reliable than revolvers.
For the everyday shooter non hardcore enthusiast that is not uber trained a revolver is more reliable as most pistol malfunctions are caused by one of a few things that a trained individual can stop or greatly reduce to become a non issue
1. Limp rist - If you ever shoot with new shooters (especially women) this is always an issue. People with weaker hands also can have problems with this. Shooting in non ideal positions can make this become more of an issue. This is something that is co portly an issue with the user when they use a pistol but not an issue with the revolver.
2. Poor ammo selection - Most people buy one box of defense ammo and load up the mag and think they are good to go. That specific type of hollow point might cause tons of jams. With a revolver as long as the cartridge fits in the cylinder it will fire.
3. Bad magazines - Most pistol caused malfunctions are because of magazines. Not an issue once the mags are proven but again, still not an issue in a revolver.
4. Break in period - How many threads start out here "how long shouldthe break in period be for my (inseart pistol name here though usually a 1911)." Once you fire the first 12 rounds in a revolver it is going to work after that.
5. Too many controls - Again for new shooters or people that are not enthusiasts. In the middle of the night when a window breaks you are half asleep without your glasses and naked (this is me). Wife is all "I heard a noise" and I'm "go back to sleep" the. I hear the noise. Then comes the adrenaline dump and fine motor skills are out the window. I grab my revolver and don have to work about safeties or what condition it is in. It just works. If I have a pistol most will either have to disengage the safety or if they don't keep a round in the chamber, then rack the slide. I think KISS is best for home defense.

This is not to say pistols don't have advantages over revolvers (mainly capacity) and most of the issues above can be overcome by training and practice. But in the real world most gun owners are not us, they are the person that has a shotgun, a deer rifle and one handgun for the home. You see them at the range right before hunting season sighting in their deer rifle or fiddling with the jam on their pistol wondering why it's not working.

This is all just my opinion.

Sturnovik
09-27-2011, 3:26 PM
Just got a Model 66. I'll never sell it, it has no....and i mean no holster wear and one little tiny mark on top of the lug. Best DA trigger I've tried and perfection in the SA trigger. I can reload it almost as fast as my autos. I love the damn thing.

Dark Mod
09-27-2011, 3:39 PM
Alright
No one is saying semi autos cannot be reliable. No one is saying that in extreme conditions that almost no civilian will ever experience that some pistols are more reliable than revolvers.
For the everyday shooter non hardcore enthusiast that is not uber trained a revolver is more reliable as most pistol malfunctions are caused by one of a few things that a trained individual can stop or greatly reduce to become a non issue
1. Limp rist - If you ever shoot with new shooters (especially women) this is always an issue. People with weaker hands also can have problems with this. Shooting in non ideal positions can make this become more of an issue. This is something that is co portly an issue with the user when they use a pistol but not an issue with the revolver.
2. Poor ammo selection - Most people buy one box of defense ammo and load up the mag and think they are good to go. That specific type of hollow point might cause tons of jams. With a revolver as long as the cartridge fits in the cylinder it will fire.
3. Bad magazines - Most pistol caused malfunctions are because of magazines. Not an issue once the mags are proven but again, still not an issue in a revolver.
4. Break in period - How many threads start out here "how long shouldthe break in period be for my (inseart pistol name here though usually a 1911)." Once you fire the first 12 rounds in a revolver it is going to work after that.
5. Too many controls - Again for new shooters or people that are not enthusiasts. In the middle of the night when a window breaks you are half asleep without your glasses and naked (this is me). Wife is all "I heard a noise" and I'm "go back to sleep" the. I hear the noise. Then comes the adrenaline dump and fine motor skills are out the window. I grab my revolver and don have to work about safeties or what condition it is in. It just works. If I have a pistol most will either have to disengage the safety or if they don't keep a round in the chamber, then rack the slide. I think KISS is best for home defense.

This is not to say pistols don't have advantages over revolvers (mainly capacity) and most of the issues above can be overcome by training and practice. But in the real world most gun owners are not us, they are the person that has a shotgun, a deer rifle and one handgun for the home. You see them at the range right before hunting season sighting in their deer rifle or fiddling with the jam on their pistol wondering why it's not working.

This is all just my opinion.

I dont know about you, but ive never had a problem operating an autoloader in stressful situations..... All you have to do is rack the slide, its really not that hard and i dont know why people make such a big deal out of it. I can do it drunk hanging upside down out of a moving vehicle.

ns3v3n
09-27-2011, 4:00 PM
Revolvers are sexy! I remember back then when I took my pc832 class I was the only one in there with a revolver. That was fun. Lately i've been looking at the S&W 625 in .45acp. Eventually I'll get one when funds become available. Great collection OP.

scarville
09-27-2011, 4:02 PM
Alright
A gun is one component of a system. Any test of its suitability must be relative to the context of its function within that system. It may well be that wahtzisname needs a gun for an environment where being buried in the ground for two years is important. Others may carry their gun as they swim the English Channel, rinse off in a "over-chlorinated" swimming pool then leave their gun on the beach for a couple of days.

I don't lead such an exciting life. I'm more concerned with boring, prosaic stuff like how easily can I carry a particular gun. Does it point naturally for me. Are there sharp angles that will better signal to an observer that I am carrying it. Will the gun shoot until empty from inside a jacket pocket if I need it to. How well does my BUG hold up to pocket schmutz. What will sweat do to the finish and lock works. Can I use the gun from awkward positions like pointing backwards over my shoulder and expect it to fire without jamming.

Snapping Twig
09-27-2011, 4:10 PM
FWIW, Shooting4life has it right and I've been "misunderstood" for whatever reason in my earlier post.

My points were not to belittle semi autos, far from it. I was however expressing my enthusiasm for revolvers, which I believe have an edge in the areas I outlined.

What makes a revolver special for hunting makes it undesirable for SD, IMO, but that said, they are MORE powerful, and MORE accurate and MORE reliable because they are a stone ax, chambered in a more powerful cartridge with a fixed barrel. I don't see too many semi autos used for hunting, let alone long distance hunting of up to 150m, do you? I do however see all kinds of revolvers for this purpose. Linebaugh, the big S&W's, Rugers, etc.

Now, the high power and heavy weight of the revolver, not to mention the bulk, makes them not such a good choice for SD where a flat, concealable pistol of moderate power - good for follow-up shots - is more the ideal. Light trigger on SA is also a fine trait of the semi auto, but here a fine revolver is the equal in SA mode.

So, in conclusion, one isn't better than the other, rather they both have different uses and are suited to those uses uniquely. I hunt more than I face down bad guys, although I have faced down some bad guys, and I used a Sig P220 when I did it, but truth be told, I'd have used a revolver... or a brick if that's all I had at the time.

Some revolver pron.

624 no dash

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P6220001.jpg

624 no dash

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/PC040001.jpg

Go big or go home. :)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P1260007.jpg

I don't always carry, but when I do...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P2260010.jpg

shooting4life
09-27-2011, 4:32 PM
ST, I don't think your op came across as talking down about pistols. This thread morphed into a revolver v pistol debate like a lot of threads do when talking positivly about revolvers. This board is mostly pistol/ar driven and I have learned to accept that.
To lighten the mood, some revolver porn
A couple of 27-2
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2945.jpg
A couple of 625's
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2935.jpg
A couple 627's
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/108548f7.jpg
629 carry comp
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2929.jpg
A nice S&W 520
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2920.jpg
My newest purchase a 3 digit pre 17 K22
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_3017.jpg

scarville
09-27-2011, 5:16 PM
shooting4life,

Nice grips/stocks on the 625's. Can you tell me who made them?

TheDeej
09-27-2011, 5:21 PM
I can already see where this is going... I need a blue gun.

shooting4life
09-27-2011, 5:55 PM
Both pairs are made by Nill

Barbarossa
09-27-2011, 6:39 PM
Drool...... Brushed?

Dhena81
09-27-2011, 7:07 PM
I've been seriously considering one of those too. I'm not sure how much I'd want to shoot that light of a gun in 357 magnum. The more sedate 38 spl or 45 ACP are differenet stories.

My thoughts exactly not to mention 9 times out of 10 I'm already buying and or hauling 45 acp to the range. There is something about a revolver that makes them very appealing even if they are no longer considered a go to war gun. Well the TRR8 was actually designed for a SWAT officer yielding a ballistic shield. I only own one revolver a S&W 629 but I plan on getting a couple others and this thread makes me want more :)

Kodachrome
09-27-2011, 7:09 PM
Nice bunch of pistols.
The first pistol I bought was a revolver, a Colt Python.
Like you I have a few Smiths, one being a Model 40 with a grip safety NIB.
Happy Shooting.

jdg30
09-27-2011, 8:13 PM

Looks like this thread is finally getting back on track for the love of revolvers and revolver pics.

Semiautos are nice but we all hear about them almost non-stop in this forum. The intent of this thread is to encourage revolver fans to show off their pieces and discuss why they love revolvers. Who cares about torture tests, I would never want to subject my revolvers to that kind of punishment. I wouldn't even want to do that to my semi-autos.

Revolvers fill my need for self defense, target practice and general plinking. If I had different criteria like going to war or crawling through the harshest elements I would probably choose a different platform but for my needs, a revolver is a great choice.

I've shot several hundred rounds through my 325 NightGuard .45 and have been meaning to post a review about it. I'll be sure to do it soon. It's a very nice gun and is very accurate. Using moonclips it reloads very quickly. More to come on that later.

shooting4life
09-27-2011, 9:13 PM
Drool...... Brushed?

They both have a bead blasted finish. I prefer brushed as it is easier to clean up.

battleship
09-27-2011, 10:13 PM
The last 5 guns i bought were all revolvers

SW model 27-2
SW model 629 Trail Boss
colt King cobra 2.5 inch barrel
colt Python blue 6 inch
colt Python stainless 4 inch

the next 5 will no doubt be revolvers
I like semi autos but revolvers i love.

ckprax
09-27-2011, 10:22 PM
ST, I don't think your op came across as talking down about pistols. This thread morphed into a revolver v pistol debate like a lot of threads do when talking positivly about revolvers. This board is mostly pistol/ar driven and I have learned to accept that.
To lighten the mood, some revolver porn
A couple of 27-2
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2945.jpg

I love the Kurac grips on your 27-2. I just ordered two pairs, fiddleback and feather crotch claro walnut, can't wait for them to arrive!

You have some very nice wheelguns! Thanks for sharing.

Mickey D
09-28-2011, 8:05 AM
Thanks for posting something different.

Love blue revolvers and have many.

S&W 29-2
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/SW29-2-1.jpg

S&W 19
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/Blue19b.jpg

Colt Python and S&W 586
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/SW586Python.jpg

Colt Peacekeeper
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/ColtPeacekeeper-1.jpg

scarville
09-28-2011, 9:52 AM
Edited to add: This is related to the discussion of the Nightguard in 45 ACP discussed above.

I was looking over the latest data from Ballistics by the Inch (http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/) (BBTI) for the 45 ACP. For S&G I graphed the velocity versus barrel length and the percent of maximum velocity versus barrel length for the 230 gr Hydrashok.

http://www.heronforge.net/charts/45acp.velocity-barrel.length.jpg

http://www.heronforge.net/charts/45acp.percent.of.max-barrel.length.jpg

The test gun was a TC contender so the barrel length above is measured from breech face to muzzle. On a revolver the barrel is measured from the back of the forcing cone to muzzle so the length of the cylinder has to be added to make the comparison useful.

I think it is interesting to note that over 75% of the maximum velocity was generated in the first two inches of the barrel. You don't give up as much as some people think in exchange for a shorter barrel in 45ACP

BBTI has cylinder gap test data but hasn't published it yet. When they do, this revolver geek will be on it :)

ZombieTactics
09-28-2011, 2:37 PM
A gun is one component of a system. Any test of its suitability must be relative to the context of its function within that system. It may well be that wahtzisname needs a gun for an environment where being buried in the ground for two years is important. Others may carry their gun as they swim the English Channel, rinse off in a "over-chlorinated" swimming pool then leave their gun on the beach for a couple of days. ...

I believe previously you refereed to me as a "pig", owing probably to your aversion (presumably your wheel gun as well) to mud or any more threatening a hazard than pocket lint. I note also that you've switched context: from "reliability" to "suitability". It appears you have trouble keeping track of simple things like words and names.

I am perfectly happy to continue the conversation regarding reliability if you are so inclined. I did not leave this thread owing to any overwhelming logic, reasoning or evidence you presented ... as you presented none. Rather it was out of respect for the simple fact that such a discussion was felt OT, and I have no intention of forcing myself upon anyone.

This last bit on your part does in fact reveal a tremendous talent for evasion and hyperbole, however. If you have any intention of doing anything besides flapping your keys with insults and illogic ... a separate thread would be an enjoyable place to continue.

The pictures in this thread ... wow, beautiful , gorgeous guns.

mlevans66
09-28-2011, 4:57 PM
Now I love my revolvers. I got GP100 with a 6" barrel and scope and I also got a 686 plus that I'm about to send in to have a longer barrel. I also own a couple of auto loaders, the Jerico Baby Eagle being my first gun and first love. I like the grips some of you all got on your revolvers. Where did you get them?

scarville
09-28-2011, 6:59 PM
I like the grips some of you all got on your revolvers. Where did you get them?
I got the grip on the 686 pictured above here:

http://www.bang-inc.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

I'm not sure I'd want them on a longer barreled gun but I do like them on the 3".

Bear in mind I have middlin' small hands so the thin grips fit me better. YMMV.

mlazarus5388
09-28-2011, 7:00 PM
http://imageshack.us/f/835/201109281753573511.jpg/

ontmark
09-28-2011, 7:17 PM
When you get old and no longer can pull the slide back to load your pistol.
You will always be able to use a revolver!!

jdg30
09-28-2011, 8:41 PM
When you get old and no longer can pull the slide back to load your pistol.
You will always be able to use a revolver!!

True statement, but being old has nothing to do with shooting a revolver. I've liked revolvers since I was a little kid. I just went shooting this afternoon. Yesterday I shot the Glock 23 and had to pick up/search for all the brass. Today I shot the Ruger SP101 and didn't have to pick up a single piece. I'm not old, but I really enjoyed not having to search for spent brass.

shooting4life
09-28-2011, 9:11 PM
Picking up brass is for suckers

cudakidd
09-28-2011, 9:15 PM
Some mine, more revolver porn...
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/cudakidd/CIMG0255.jpg
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/cudakidd/CIMG1467.jpg
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/cudakidd/CIMG5368.jpg
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/cudakidd/CIMG4171.jpg
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/cudakidd/CIMG4172.jpg
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/cudakidd/CIMG4300.jpg

BayouBullets
09-28-2011, 9:23 PM
Like it or not, statistics aren't just "something that happens to other people." I admire anyone who can put all of their rounds exactly where they want them, but I haven't met that guy yet who has done it under life-or-death stress. I guess it depends on what you read and who you trust, but most of what I've read strongly suggests that you'll only be able to get hits with about 20% of the rounds fired ... if you are among the very best. It further seems apparent that 2-3 good hits are a minimum requirement to stop a threat with any sense of urgency, and often enough it requires many more or their are multiple assailants. If this is even roughly accurate, a sensible respect for evidence suggests that 10 rounds should be considered a minimum, or you better be able to reload really damned fast.

Please remember, those statistics are based on an average that includes a LOT of shooters with woefully inadequate or even non-existent training and also includes LE firefights at ranges completely inappropriate for civilian self-defense. Bear in mind that a civilian using an SD weapon is obligated to extract himself from a threat when possible. Thus, SD combat occurs at very close range. IMHO proper training would get 90% of shooters up over a 60-70% hit rate even under duress at < 15 yds. Operators/Law Enforcement carry a high-capacity weapon with extra mags as a contingency for the unlikely event of an extended fire-fight vs. multiple assailants. If you NEED 10 shots to get 2-3 on target, you should NOT be carrying for self-defense yet. You should be taking classes and practicing more.

--That said, I tend to carry high-cap myself. The right reason for this, however, is just in case the bad guys come in packs of 7-12 instead of 2-3.

scarville
09-28-2011, 9:43 PM
True statement, but being old has nothing to do with shooting a revolver. I've liked revolvers since I was a little kid. I just went shooting this afternoon. Yesterday I shot the Glock 23 and had to pick up/search for all the brass. Today I shot the Ruger SP101 and didn't have to pick up a single piece. I'm not old, but I really enjoyed not having to search for spent brass.
Rule number one: cardio Think of all the exercise you get bending and stooping. Maybe we can start new Internet myth: Revolver shooter are too lazy to hunt for their brass and will be the first eaten when the zombies come.

Fishslayer
09-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Couldn't agree with you more, except where are the Colts?

Colts turn the wrong way... :D

Maybe we can start new Internet myth: Revolver shooter are too lazy to hunt for their brass and will be the first eaten when the zombies come.

That's not a myth... The lazy part I mean. Most of us have other means of dealing with massed zombies. ;)

Dhena81
09-29-2011, 1:45 AM
Rule number one: cardio Think of all the exercise you get bending and stooping. Maybe we can start new Internet myth: Revolver shooter are too lazy to hunt for their brass and will be the first eaten when the zombies come.

That's actually really funny I just finished watching Zombieland and checked this thread lol.

Bobby Ricigliano
09-29-2011, 2:46 AM
I can't think of a handgun I like more than a SW Model 19. Revolvers will always be in vogue. I wouldn't use it as a carry piece due to size/weight/capacity, but for recreational shooting I love them.

scarville
09-29-2011, 5:21 AM
Colts turn the wrong way... :D
The cylinder latch moves in the wrong direction too. :)
That's not a myth... The lazy part I mean. Most of us have other means of dealing with massed zombies. ;)
I find the pause button works pretty well. Stops 'em dead(er) in their tracks.

Which brings us to The Walking Dead (TV version) and the Python:

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/4/4c/Python6in.jpg

trashman
10-06-2011, 8:23 PM
A little over half of my collection are revolvers (mostly S&Ws). When you get right down to it, I love them for the same reason I love 1911's: they are the quintessential "guns" of my childhood.

As an adult, and as someone who appreciates good engineering, I greatly enjoy the intricacy and history/development of the revolver -- they are great systems that reach right back to the 1800's.

More importantly, they are incredibly fun/awesome to shoot -- which is really why I own guns in the first place -- because I enjoy shooting them -- all of them!

We are gradually heading towards a future marketplace where "the most reliable gun" will be something that makes a Glock* look like a wild night in the red light districit in Amsterdam in the 70's.

But I will still enjoy shooting my all-steel, overly intricate, and mildly antiquated revolvers.

--Neill

*I own Glocks, and I admire and enjoy them...

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/northslope/various-sunday/various011.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/northslope/bumpflash-test/bumpflash003.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/northslope/bumpflash-test/bumpflash001.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/northslope/postwar-m_and_p/postwar_mandp05.jpg

timbo399
10-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Have a GP 100 4" and it is scary accurate. That and my SW1911 are easily the 2 most accurate handguns I own. I would always read on this forum how people regret selling a firearm and don't realize until it's gone. I feel that way about the SW 686+ 2.5" barrel I owned. Never even shot it but dry fired it a few times and sold it cause at the time had my eye on something else but damn I wish I had that back.

orangeusa
10-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Shot a friend's pre-lock 686 and immediately started selling guns to pay for this one. Never shot so well and this was my first 6 shots.. (I shoot 92FS's mostly). So, wheelguns are our friends... This gun has a better trigger than any other gun I've shot. Yes, I had a mild trigger job done (after this outing). Perfect geezer gun - no brass flopping about, huge clear sights.. and badass as any gun on the planet....

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/orangeusa/100_1209.jpg

scarville
10-07-2011, 5:55 AM
The 686 is my favorite gun from S&W. I have three of the durned things -- A 6" and two 3". I just put a deposit on a 4". Personally I think the 686 and the Model 67 are two of the best revolvers ever made.

TheDeej
10-10-2011, 6:31 PM
I just got my first S&W last Wednesday (686p). Holy crap the SA trigger is a thing of beauty! DA is awesome as well. Consider me a fanboy, I love this thing and I'm really interested in a K and J frame now.

I'd like to get a good holster for hiking/BLM for this gun. What holster's would you all recommend for a 4" L-Frame?

scarville
10-12-2011, 9:29 AM
I just got my first S&W last Wednesday (686p). Holy crap the SA trigger is a thing of beauty! DA is awesome as well. Consider me a fanboy, I love this thing and I'm really interested in a K and J frame now.

I'd like to get a good holster for hiking/BLM for this gun. What holster's would you all recommend for a 4" L-Frame?
If you want a good quality mass produced holster that will resist the elements and not cost too much, look at the Bianchi Accumold. I use one for my 6" 686+ and find it securely holds the gun and is comfortable. Which is saying quite a bit for something as massive as a 6" L frame.

If you want a chest holster then look at either the Grizzly Tuff or Guide's Choice.

http://www.grizzlytuff.com/
http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

There are several custom holster makers who can build one from leather. I have a snap loop pancake made by Lobo Gun Leather for my 3" 686 that serve as my everyday carry (only where permitted of course :whistling:)

http://www.lobogunleather.com/

jdg30
10-12-2011, 7:55 PM

I have a Simply Rugged pancake holster that works excellent inside the waistband or outside the waistband on the belt. I carry my 686+ 2.5" IWB with the holster often and it is comfortable and conceals well. If I take off the straps for IWB it turns into a great OWB holster. I have a few Simply Rugged holsters for different guns and I like them all. The are reasonably priced and there isn't a long wait to receive your handmade holster.