PDA

View Full Version : Any downside to just getting a large water tank?

Steve1968LS2
09-25-2011, 6:43 PM
Like the sign says.. any downside to getting a large above ground water storage tank?

Looking at a 300 gallon one (45x60) .. it's $266 which seems like a good deal considering a 5 gallon container runs at least $10 (which would be $600 for 300 gallons and a PITA to store, rotate)

Questions:

Being outside how long would the water last before needing rotation?

The tanks come in colors (white, blue, black, green).. would one color be better? (was thinking green for asthetics)

I figure with this and 6 of the Wally World 6 gallon jugs (in case we have to vacate) we would be set for some time.

Thoughts?

http://www.plastic-mart.com/item.aspx?id=3698

SkyStorm82
09-25-2011, 6:47 PM
Ouch.....did you look at shipping?

Steve1968LS2
09-25-2011, 7:12 PM
Ouch.....did you look at shipping?

well, it makes sense given the size.. how much was my gun safe to ship?

They list that there is a warehouse in CA.. I sent an email asking if the tank could be will called (if it's not in NorCal)...

Still, a 300 gallon tank, even with the shipping is cheaper than 60 5-gallon jugs..

And even if it's not it seems far more convienent.

Seeker
09-25-2011, 7:25 PM
This article is pretty informative when it comes to water storage. Give it a read.
http://www.liquid-stabilized-oxygen.com/copyright_protected.html

Edit: Oops nevermind, I read the thread title wrong. Thought you were asking about info in regards to water storage in a large tank. Well anyways, ill leave the article above for reference by other readers.

Well the main disadvantage is mobility. It should ONLY be used for bug-in situations or be kept at your survival retreat for bug-out purposes.

FrankG
09-25-2011, 7:42 PM
search around i found this on craigslist...

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/2616139331.html

125 for a 275g tote food grade.... just paint it black or cover it to keep sunlight out

Steve1968LS2
This article is pretty informative when it comes to water storage. Give it a read.
http://www.liquid-stabilized-oxygen.com/copyright_protected.html

Edit: Oops nevermind, I read the thread title wrong. Thought you were asking about info in regards to water storage in a large tank. Well anyways, ill leave the article above for reference by other readers.

Well the main disadvantage is mobility. It should ONLY be used for bug-in situations or be kept at your survival retreat for bug-out purposes.

I'm in the middle of Orange County surrounded by millions of people surrounded by hundreds of miles of desert.. we're not buggin' anywhere. lol

Mostly I prepare for a localized event like an earthquake.. so it's all about the bug in. Of course I would have 6 or so jerry cans just in case.

FrankG
dbl post

Seeker
09-25-2011, 7:49 PM
search around i found this on craigslist...

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/2616139331.html

125 for a 275g tote food grade.... just paint it black or cover it to keep sunlight out

Just for a reference, you should NEVER use used plastic containers to store water. Whatever ingredient has been previously stored in those containers has most likely been absorbed into the microscopic pores in the plastic and can never be thoroughly cleaned. Since water is an excellent solvent, some of those food particles/chemicals(or whatever) will then be leached into the water you are storing and can cause contamination or bacteria growth in the water. Again, ONLY BUY NEW containers. :facepalm: :pinch:

Please read the article I posted above for some food for thought. :thumbsup:

I'm in the middle of Orange County surrounded by millions of people surrounded by hundreds of miles of desert.. we're not buggin' anywhere. lol

Mostly I prepare for a localized event like an earthquake.. so it's all about the bug in. Of course I would have 6 or so jerry cans just in case.

Well then I guess you're good to go. :thumbsup:

GrizzlyGuy
09-25-2011, 8:57 PM
Looks like a good idea to me. If my new digs didn't come with a pond, I'd be doing something similar.

This is probably not the best answer, but since it is only 300 gals I'd handle water "treatment" the same way that I do the water I have in 3 gal containers in each vehicle: dump it, rinse a bit and refill every couple of months. Then again, maybe you guys down south have the "water police" or something like that who would frown on dumping 300 gals of water if they saw it running down the gutter? :shrug:

Modimo
09-25-2011, 9:15 PM
I say ditch the huge water container and invest that money into decent water treatment equipment:

Ceramic Water Filter (MSR is a great maker)- will filter out most bacteria
Steripen- will kill the small viruses that sneak by the ceramic filter
Just for giggles: get some water purification tablets if you are sketched out by the water source.

With the above options all you need to scout out is a source of water if "SHTF". The plus is you can use them for backpacking/camping etc. :)

Steve1968LS2
09-25-2011, 9:44 PM
I say ditch the huge water container and invest that money into decent water treatment equipment:

Ceramic Water Filter (MSR is a great maker)- will filter out most bacteria
Steripen- will kill the small viruses that sneak by the ceramic filter
Just for giggles: get some water purification tablets if you are sketched out by the water source.

With the above options all you need to scout out is a source of water if "SHTF". The plus is you can use them for backpacking/camping etc. :)

I have a simple filter system.. but when you think about it the problem is that you need water to treat.. middle of Orange County.. 100s of thousands of people.. no rivers really.. so where do you get the water to treat?

We're on a quarter acre and have the room for a tank, I could most likely put a 500 gal unit, but I don't wanna get kooky.

So, I still have the question.. does the color matter or is green as good as any of the choices? Black would maybe stop light better, but would absorb more heat. Thoughts?

Steve1968LS2
09-25-2011, 9:46 PM
Looks like a good idea to me. If my new digs didn't come with a pond, I'd be doing something similar.

This is probably not the best answer, but since it is only 300 gals I'd handle water "treatment" the same way that I do the water I have in 3 gal containers in each vehicle: dump it, rinse a bit and refill every couple of months. Then again, maybe you guys down south have the "water police" or something like that who would frown on dumping 300 gals of water if they saw it running down the gutter? :shrug:

No water police.. as stated, we're on a good sized lot.. when it comes time to rotate it could water the grass, fruit trees, etc.. certainly wouldn't get wasted.

Seeker
09-25-2011, 11:06 PM
I think green would be good to go. This (http://www.watertanks.com/category/367/) website states
American Tank Company's freshwater tanks are UV stabilized and will not breakdown under harsh outdoor weather conditions, and will not rust, chip, peel, or corrode. Green opaque color helps prevent water borne algae growth.

Plus, they sell their 305 gallon tank for $30 dollars cheaper compared to the company you originally listed. I would recommend you try to keep the tank away from the sun just to be safe. Maybe under the canopy of a tree or under tarps or something.

rdmmdr
09-26-2011, 12:27 AM
while non pressurized water tanks work, installaing an air over water tank or a chloirine contact tank in line with the city water system will keep this supply fresh with no maintenance. the biggest I have seen is a 120 gal for about 500$ figure 600$ at install add the water in your water heater to this and you are in the 160-170 range. If you have any warning at all a bath tub adds another 50 gals, we go camping for a week with five guys and only go through about 30/40 gals in a dry camp. how much more do you need?

ireload
09-26-2011, 5:01 AM
Steve1968 I would go with either black or green color. The darker the better to prevent sunlight from penetrating. That would be a big plus if you are going to use the water for drinking.

Now for how long to store it before you rotate, with mine, I have 55 gallon drums, I keep the water for 2 years before I rotate (for drinking purpose). If you are only going to use for washing clothes, washing dishes, bathing then you can store it up to 4 years before rotating. I keep the drums covered. I use filtered water. I have a two stage filter in the kitchen.

I would build a enclosure with access door with that tank. It will make the tank last longer, it will be fully protected from the sun even though the tank itself has UV protection already. It would also keep it a tad cooler during summer months. Plus it can make it discreet from prying eyes.

If you can put in on a elevated cement pad would help out if you are planning to use the tank with just gravity and weight pressure. I would keep a manually or engine driven pump just in case.

As you stated, you want that tank just in case of a earthquake.

Joewy
09-26-2011, 5:24 AM
You could just drive to bakersfield and pick them up there.
They will fit in a standard size pickup truck..

If you have a large lot then use the water for irrigation untill you need it or get a 12 volt pump and bladder tank and go ahead and plumb it into your house.

lwbyo1
09-26-2011, 6:13 AM
I'd be a little cautious about ordering from a website that doesn't list a return policy or physical address. I couldn't find one anywhere on their site. Which means you'll probably have to pay shipping back to the manufacturer if it is defective.

Chem-tainer ships out of Compton, though I doubt they'll let you will call it. But it never hurts to ask. Though I'd order it from a different site. I found it around $50 cheaper from a couple different sites, but all of them ream you for shipping and make you unload it when they deliver it.

Call these 2 places and see what their prices are and if you can pick them up.

1. This one is in Escondido:
http://containrainwater.com/products/potable-water-storage-tanks/
An ad they ran in a San Diego paper a couple of days ago.
http://sandiego.sandiegoreader.com/Farm/water-storage-tank-sale/8687907

2. This one is in Santa Ana:
http://www.tanksuperstore.com/T_water.htm

Shellshocker66
09-26-2011, 8:08 AM
I can add that make sure if you order one you don't set it on cement. From my previous reading seems the lime/chemicals from concrete can seep into plastic containers fouling the water. All the suggestions that I have found said to elevate the container and or place on wood with a water vapor type sheet in between.

Steve1968LS2
09-26-2011, 8:15 AM
Steve1968 I would go with either black or green color. The darker the better to prevent sunlight from penetrating. That would be a big plus if you are going to use the water for drinking.

Now for how long to store it before you rotate, with mine, I have 55 gallon drums, I keep the water for 2 years before I rotate (for drinking purpose). If you are only going to use for washing clothes, washing dishes, bathing then you can store it up to 4 years before rotating. I keep the drums covered. I use filtered water. I have a two stage filter in the kitchen.

I would build a enclosure with access door with that tank. It will make the tank last longer, it will be fully protected from the sun even though the tank itself has UV protection already. It would also keep it a tad cooler during summer months. Plus it can make it discreet from prying eyes.

If you can put in on a elevated cement pad would help out if you are planning to use the tank with just gravity and weight pressure. I would keep a manually or engine driven pump just in case.

As you stated, you want that tank just in case of a earthquake.

Thanks, We have a small area that is fenced off (6' x10') and right now it's just junk storage, I will pour a small pad for the tank and the 300 gallon will be a foot lower than the fence. I will then stretch a canopy over the area to help shade it a bit.

Again, is 300 gallons excessive? Maybe, but I can do this for not much money and zero "PITA factor" since the area is pretty much unused and out of the way. In a small emergency where it looks like we will be out of services for a few weeks (majorish earthquake) I can share with my neighbors.. in a really big deal I'll be happy to have the 300 gallons on top of my other water stores.

Thanks for all the advice.. and for the link to the other tank company.. looks like the differecen will be if I can will call at the first place. If not the other one is good to go.

Steve1968LS2
09-26-2011, 8:16 AM
I can add that make sure if you order one you don't set it on cement. From my previous reading seems the lime/chemicals from concrete can seep into plastic containers fouling the water. All the suggestions that I have found said to elevate the container and or place on wood with a water vapor type sheet in between.

Really? Learn something new every day..

So, concrete pad, vapor barrier, wood down as a deck...

scarville
09-26-2011, 8:45 AM
While 300 gallons seems a bit large to me (at this time), I think a semi permanent tank is a good idea. I've been seriously looking at getting one or two horizontal tanks in the 30 to 40 gallon range. When I had my house re-piped, I put in an on demand water heater. It works great and really does save me a few bucks on the gas bill but it also means no more 40 gallons of potential reserve in the water heater.

I'll still keep some seven gallon aquatainers in the garage just for sake of portability.

Joewy
09-26-2011, 8:50 AM
They also make water tanks that you can bury if that is a concern

Paul_R
09-26-2011, 8:57 AM
Like the sign says.. any downside to getting a large above ground water storage tank?

Yeah, you can't swim in it! :D

Get a pool. Enjoy it in the good times, use it in the bad. :thumbsup:

Steve1968LS2
09-26-2011, 9:39 AM
While 300 gallons seems a bit large to me (at this time), I think a semi permanent tank is a good idea. I've been seriously looking at getting one or two horizontal tanks in the 30 to 40 gallon range. When I had my house re-piped, I put in an on demand water heater. It works great and really does save me a few bucks on the gas bill but it also means no more 40 gallons of potential reserve in the water heater.

I'll still keep some seven gallon aquatainers in the garage just for sake of portability.

The footprint is only 4'x5' which is nothing given the space I have and the cost of a 300 isn't much more than a 200.. I would rather have too much.

We also have a hot tub so there's another few hundred gallons.. we don't use many chemicals (a clorine shock from time to time) and instead have all the purification gadgets (ozone, etc).. not sure if it will be drinkable, but it would be great for hygine, watering, etc.

KevinB
09-26-2011, 10:57 AM
I have several I have bought from this guy and they top quality. mine had corn syrup in them.

I put about 20 gallons of water and soap and a little bleach and drove them home. they were super clean when I got home and rinsed them. I store fuel and water in them.

http://modesto.craigslist.org/grd/2570456477.html

Californio
09-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks, We have a small area that is fenced off (6' x10') and right now it's just junk storage, I will pour a small pad for the tank and the 300 gallon will be a foot lower than the fence. I will then stretch a canopy over the area to help shade it a bit.

Again, is 300 gallons excessive? Maybe, but I can do this for not much money and zero "PITA factor" since the area is pretty much unused and out of the way. In a small emergency where it looks like we will be out of services for a few weeks (majorish earthquake) I can share with my neighbors.. in a really big deal I'll be happy to have the 300 gallons on top of my other water stores.

Thanks for all the advice.. and for the link to the other tank company.. looks like the differecen will be if I can will call at the first place. If not the other one is good to go.

We have several water tanks on the ranch. 35K gal. concrete and several black tanks in the 2K range. You don't need a concrete base. Make a square frame using treated wood 2x6, 6-12" larger than tank dia. backfill with about 4" of pea-gravel and you will be good to go for a base up to 2K gals. This will provide drainage under the tank for rain water etc keeping the bottom dry.

Steve1968LS2
09-26-2011, 12:59 PM
We have several water tanks on the ranch. 35K gal. concrete and several black tanks in the 2K range. You don't need a concrete base. Make a square frame using treated wood 2x6, 6-12" larger than tank dia. backfill with about 4" of pea-gravel and you will be good to go for a base up to 2K gals. This will provide drainage under the tank for rain water etc keeping the bottom dry.

Thanks for the tip... in that case I will lay down some weed blocker before the pea-gravel.. Might sink a post to secure the tank from latteral movement (after all, this is for earthquate preparedness.. lol)

Looks like the first place I listed will let me pick up the tank in Compton.. so while they are $30 more than the other company the savings in shipping will be huge.

Still researching where we will get the tank, thanks for all the tips!

ireload
09-27-2011, 3:51 AM
Steve1968 post a pic when you have your tank installed.

Now on a different note, never heard of cement's lime/chemical sepping through the plastic that Shellshocker mentioned. I'll have to look into that. It's too bad that I do not have access to a free lab for water analysis anymore.

mkane
09-27-2011, 6:33 AM
We use them, have for 25yrs. Ours are green, 3000 gal. Theres one out in front of the barn waiting installation, has been for over a year.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll58/MKane63t/003-6.jpg

Mael
09-27-2011, 7:30 AM
I picked up one of these (http://www.tank-depot.com/Drawings%2fsnyder%2fWV21.pdf) 300 gallon tanks from the tank depot last year. I installed it in my garage to protect it from the sunlight. I also built a custom bracket so I could secure the tank to the wall with earthquake straps. I added liquid stabilized oxygen (http://www.nitro-pak.com/products/water/water-tablets-and-treatment/oxy-stabile-water-preserver-ion) to the water that should allow me to keep it for up to five years without rotation (I'll probably rotate it out at 4 years to be safe).

Here are some good sources of information on water tanks.

Filling a water tank (http://www.yourfoodstorage.com/supertankersetup)

Watertanks.com forums (http://www.watertanks.com/forums/)

lwbyo1
09-27-2011, 3:42 PM
Sent you a PM about some new 55 gal barrels on sale for $25 each. If you're not interested, you can post the link so someone who is can pick some up.

I prefer the 55 gal barrels because they're more portable. I throw 1 or 2 on the trailer for extra water for the motorhome when we dry camp for extended periods.

jak77
09-27-2011, 3:54 PM
Good info here, tagging this for future reference.

rspar
09-27-2011, 4:00 PM
I've also heard that you shouldn't put your tank on the cement mine are on plywood in the garage. We have a 275 plus some 55's. It doesn't sound crazy at all to me. Having water to cook with and drink when others don't isn't so bad. I'm looking into some sort of desalinization since I'm close to the ocean. Good for a longer term backup I suppose.

Steve1968LS2
09-27-2011, 4:01 PM
Sent you a PM about some new 55 gal barrels on sale for $25 each. If you're not interested, you can post the link so someone who is can pick some up.

I prefer the 55 gal barrels because they're more portable. I throw 1 or 2 on the trailer for extra water for the motorhome when we dry camp for extended periods.

I just bought two them and will pick them up tomorrow.. THEY HAVE ONLY 3 LEFT!!

$25 is a smokin deal for these.. they are more like tanks than barrels.. but they do the same thing.. They are over $100 online..

Again, THANKS for the hot tip.. although I will still be getting he 300 gal tank since I have the room. Oh, and they said I can buy the tank directly from them rather than through a dealer.. might be a win/win tomorrow.

Link to tanks on clearance:
http://www.chemtainer.com/home/clearance.aspx?fob=CA

lwbyo1
09-27-2011, 4:22 PM
I just bought two them and will pick them up tomorrow.. THEY HAVE ONLY 3 LEFT!!

$25 is a smokin deal for these.. they are more like tanks than barrels.. but they do the same thing.. They are over $100 online..

Again, THANKS for the hot tip.. although I will still be getting he 300 gal tank since I have the room. Oh, and they said I can buy the tank directly from them rather than through a dealer.. might be a win/win tomorrow.

Link to tanks on clearance:

I saw 55 gal and assumed barrels. Glad it worked out for you.

Wildeman_13
09-27-2011, 4:23 PM
As far as if 300G is enough, figure out how many people and for how long you want to have this supply of water and you will know. You need at least 1 gallon per person just to drink. Another gallon for cooking plus another for flushing the toilets and laundry and such. Somewhere I read that you want 5 gallon per day per person but that seems high to me. Bare minimum I should shoot for is 2 gallons per person per day. This way, if things look extra ugly, you can ration sooner and it will last longer.
300gallons using this rule of thumb would last two people roughly 75days. Using the 5 gallons per day rule it would last two people 30 days.

Steve1968LS2
09-27-2011, 7:14 PM
I saw 55 gal and assumed barrels. Glad it worked out for you.

Tanks really.. but what does it matter if it's about the size of a barrel? .. actually nicer since they have spigot provisions.. sorta hard to beat the price.

Steve1968LS2
09-27-2011, 7:19 PM
As far as if 300G is enough, figure out how many people and for how long you want to have this supply of water and you will know. You need at least 1 gallon per person just to drink. Another gallon for cooking plus another for flushing the toilets and laundry and such. Somewhere I read that you want 5 gallon per day per person but that seems high to me. Bare minimum I should shoot for is 2 gallons per person per day. This way, if things look extra ugly, you can ration sooner and it will last longer.
300gallons using this rule of thumb would last two people roughly 75days. Using the 5 gallons per day rule it would last two people 30 days.

In a survival deal that's crazy high.. a gallon to drink and that gallon can also be used to soak beans and etc..

I figure 90 days in a pinch.. theoretically 150 gallons could stretch to 5 months at 1 gallon a day.. I have hot tub full of water for hygine if needed.

In any event it beats stacking up 60 5-gallon jugs.. and my water capacity is now 355 gal plus the water heater, toilet tanks and hot tub.. I'm comfortable with that. I also have a system for catching rain off the roof.. when it rains that is.

If 90-150 days can't see us through a natural disaster.. well then we have bigger issues.

Etihtsarom
09-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Catching rain off the roof, in Orange County, hah!

Everything else sounds good. Keep a small amount of bleach by the tank in case u need to treat it again.

Steve1968LS2
09-28-2011, 8:38 AM
Catching rain off the roof, in Orange County, hah!

Hey, you do what you can with what you have.. :)

Bleach is always on hand..

Ripon83
09-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Was in Home Depot last week and noticed a nice sale on garbage cans. Actually the rubberized ones with wheels that are easy to move. A 35 gallon "can" was like $24.99 I think. Add a plastic bag liner and you could have a mobile 30 gallons easy. Also in a bug in situation with no water supply its easy to take to the river, put in place for a roof water collection, etc.....for $26 incl tax that seems like a decent way to go.

lwbyo1
09-28-2011, 1:53 PM
Was in Home Depot last week and noticed a nice sale on garbage cans. Actually the rubberized ones with wheels that are easy to move. A 35 gallon "can" was like $24.99 I think. Add a plastic bag liner and you could have a mobile 30 gallons easy. Also in a bug in situation with no water supply its easy to take to the river, put in place for a roof water collection, etc.....for $26 incl tax that seems like a decent way to go.

Are you talking about storing water that way or just using it to get water? If you're thinking of storage, then no it's a bad idea. You want to store your water in air tight containers or you'll be dumping and refilling every few days.

For fetching and moving water, it might work. Though I doubt it will roll very well with 240lbs of water in it.

Wildeman_13
09-28-2011, 2:10 PM
Be REALLY careful when you collect rainwater off of your roof. If you have tile or the like up there you can be OK, but if you have asphalt shingles you DO NOT want to collect that water for drinking. The various chemicals and crap can leech into the water and is not a good thing. It can be OK for watering plants or maybe running thru distillation, but I would not drink asphalt-tiled roof rain run off.

Steve1968LS2
09-28-2011, 2:24 PM
Be REALLY careful when you collect rainwater off of your roof. If you have tile or the like up there you can be OK, but if you have asphalt shingles you DO NOT want to collect that water for drinking. The various chemicals and crap can leech into the water and is not a good thing. It can be OK for watering plants or maybe running thru distillation, but I would not drink asphalt-tiled roof rain run off.

Very true.. have tile so no problem.. still, you could get hygine and plant water.. or filter the crap out of it.

Steve1968LS2
09-28-2011, 2:27 PM
UPDATE:

Went to ChemTainer in Compton.. wow, what nice folks there. I picked up TWO 55 gallon takes for $25.. they didn't have drains on the bottom but when I asked they gave me all the hardware.. Total out the door was $55 for 110 gallons of water storage.

I talked to the sales guy and he gave me a price that's VERY much lower than the internet price on the 300 gallon take I was looking for.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty good about my luck with this.. I will snap some pics of the two 55 gal tanks and post them.

paul0660
09-28-2011, 2:29 PM
Every couple of months I take my neighbor shooting. Why? Because he has a swimming pool.

Steve1968LS2
09-28-2011, 3:14 PM
Here's what I picked up today.. the lids are a two piece deal. You can remove the inner one and they make a mesh bucket that insert to screen "caught" water. I will pick up my 300 in a week or so when I prep the space. I'm not sure what the two cylinders on the inner lid are for... they must have some sort of purpose.

http://i52.tinypic.com/20aywyt.jpg

lwbyo1
09-28-2011, 3:47 PM
Nice. You're just getting good deals left and right this week.

Steve1968LS2
09-28-2011, 4:47 PM
Nice. You're just getting good deals left and right this week.

I think they would extend the same "deal" to anyone that went down there and asked for a salesman.. The other four tanks sold out yesterday.. my guess is guys on here.

The price for the 300 gallon was under $200..

random
09-28-2011, 5:06 PM
Here's what I picked up today.. the lids are a two piece deal. You can remove the inner one and they make a mesh bucket that insert to screen "caught" water. I will pick up my 300 in a week or so when I prep the space. I'm not sure what the two cylinders on the inner lid are for... they must have some sort of purpose.

http://i52.tinypic.com/20aywyt.jpg

They look like vents into the tank. That lid is very close to one on a chlorine tank we have at work. The tubes go up into the handle and the openings on the sides of the handle are vents. You might want to find something to plug them with.--Ian

Steve1968LS2
09-28-2011, 5:22 PM
They look like vents into the tank. That lid is very close to one on a chlorine tank we have at work. The tubes go up into the handle and the openings on the sides of the handle are vents. You might want to find something to plug them with.--Ian

No holes.. maybe you are supposed to drill them out if you need them?

MFortie
09-28-2011, 8:32 PM
I ordered the last three today - since I'm down in San Diego, I'm having them shipped. I'm also looking at a 1500 gallon tank 'for the horses' to store additional water...

Steve1968LS2
09-28-2011, 9:58 PM
I ordered the last three today - since I'm down in San Diego, I'm having them shipped. I'm also looking at a 1500 gallon tank 'for the horses' to store additional water...

Hell, I could have picked them up for you.. brought them to San Marcos.. wish I would have known.

They have a 1050 gallon tank on mega clearance... just an idea.

Oh, and I lie.. those tubes to connect to air and there some some of check valve to let air pass but not water. Guess I will need to epoxy them shut or plug the tube.. seems like open to air would be "bad" for storage..

Ripon83
09-29-2011, 10:04 AM
A garbage can and plastic liner would be for that last minute get all you can thing, and not long term storage. I have rivers near by and would use it to obtain 25 to 30 gallons so I could make fewer trips. Rain roof run off is for gardening.

Are you talking about storing water that way or just using it to get water? If you're thinking of storage, then no it's a bad idea. You want to store your water in air tight containers or you'll be dumping and refilling every few days.

For fetching and moving water, it might work. Though I doubt it will roll very well with 240lbs of water in it.

Bend
09-29-2011, 10:34 AM

Just FYI-

I've dry camped with an RV trailer for up to 3 weeks at a time in the high desert. My average water usage over 10 years and dozens of camps is 2.5 gals per day per person with only a little conservation practiced.

MFortie
09-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Hell, I could have picked them up for you.. brought them to San Marcos.. wish I would have known.

They have a 1050 gallon tank on mega clearance... just an idea.

Oh, and I lie.. those tubes to connect to air and there some some of check valve to let air pass but not water. Guess I will need to epoxy them shut or plug the tube.. seems like open to air would be "bad" for storage..

Thanks. I kinda decided at the last minute to grab them. The Reader ad for Contain Rainwater systems has a 1500 gallon tank for $398 -- and it comes from the same place (Chemtainer.)

What were they looking to get for the 1050 gallon tank?

Steve1968LS2
09-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks. I kinda decided at the last minute to grab them. The Reader ad for Contain Rainwater systems has a 1500 gallon tank for $398 -- and it comes from the same place (Chemtainer.)

What were they looking to get for the 1050 gallon tank?

$404

They have a 750 too.. I could get it but it would be way taller than my fence line.. sorta obvious.