PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal SGL31-94 AK74

NYsteveZ
09-25-2011, 2:48 PM
I have been looking into getting an AK74 which would resemble that of the Spetsnaz (AK104/105). Besides the obvious, the SGL31-94 seems REAL close, except the folding Warsaw stock (Spetsnaz is skeleton). Also, the 31-94 is WAY more than the Arsenal SGL31 with non folding stock. (about $800 compared to nearly $1300). Is the 31-94 all that different besides a folding stock? How hard is it to install a folding stock?! Tapco has a close replica skeleton stock, so I THINK my decision is made....

13204u
09-25-2011, 3:22 PM
Folding stocks are neither cheap nor easy to come by. On top of that they require extensive modification to the firearms receiver to make sure it works properly. If you are concerned about cosmetics get a rifle that has the folding stock from the factory. Then modify accordingly. The polymer and skeleton stocks can be switched between the two after knocking out a single pin. FInding the parts is gonna be the hard part and costly.

chead
09-25-2011, 3:43 PM
Folding stocks are neither cheap nor easy to come by. On top of that they require extensive modification to the firearms receiver to make sure it works properly. If you are concerned about cosmetics get a rifle that has the folding stock from the factory. Then modify accordingly. The polymer and skeleton stocks can be switched between the two after knocking out a single pin. FInding the parts is gonna be the hard part and costly.

Agreed on all of this. If you want it to fold, buy a folder. You'll be sorry if you don't.

NYsteveZ
09-25-2011, 5:19 PM
Hmm....Think you guys are onto something. NO WAY do I want to start butchering a receiver. Also, I was looking at AK 104/105 and those front barrels look short and krink like. The SBR alarms started going off. There is one AK 104 parts kit on gunbroker, and the bidding is starting at $549. He also mentioned you need a SBR stamp to be legal if you assembled it. Granted this guy has a Yugo 47 KIT starting at the same price (are kits drying up?). The 104 also has alot of tapco parts, it doesnt appear to have the trigger group etc.

CSACANNONEER
09-25-2011, 5:29 PM
Just buy a parts kit and build your own. Then, you'll have the confidence and knowledge to cut into a receiver without worries.

There are always some rarer parts kits on the market and parts kits do hit the market in waves so, while one type may be drying up, another type may be being dumped on the market tomorrow. If you are thinking of a build, you'll want to go to the gunsmithing forum and start studying the legalities before you start buying parts.

Gio
09-25-2011, 6:01 PM
On another forum I found it, Arsenal SGL31-94 Black Polymer Folder Available now for $1119.00 :)

NYsteveZ
09-25-2011, 6:10 PM
On another forum I found it, Arsenal SGL31-94 Black Polymer Folder Available now for $1119.00 :)

Thats the one-My gun shop can get it for $1279, but you have to remember, after installing the bullet button, shipping etc. that seems about right. He said it was as close to current Russian issue as you can get-What AK does the Russian army get? I imagine 5.45 like this, but side folding also, or is that Spetsnaz/paratroopers?

13204u
09-25-2011, 9:33 PM
If you want that look you can go with this as well however it will take some work. You would need to get a folder gun and have the front end completely replace but if you want the look bad enough you will do it and it will get around sbr laws here. Again none of this is cheap.

7.62x39 variant
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16611&cat=274&page=1

5.45x39 variant
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16612&cat=274&page=1

also anything can be done with enough money. This started out with as a plane jane saiga 7.62 model. You do NOT want to know how much money I have in this gun. Could have had a beautiful krink and then some. Does it looks great? Yeah. Is it still an ak? Yeah. Do I think it is worth it now? No. Plus upon closer inspection you can tell the rifle is heavily modified because it was not a folder rifle from the factory and had to have the receiver modified alot. If I chose to sell it I will lose a ton of money. So this thing has to stay with me till the day I die. I used the fake break to cover the barrel when kvar sold them still there is a 16" barrel under that muzzle cover. Also the polymer stock is slightly easier to acquire than the skeleton. Good luck finding either of those. And when you do you better have alot of cash.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/forsaken4u/DSCF5735.jpg

NYsteveZ
09-27-2011, 10:37 AM
That is a beautiful AK! I can only imagine the $ spent

Petro6golf
09-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Look at ace stocks if you want a skeleton stock. I have one on my milled ak. Their customer service sucks but they make a great stock. pm me if you want some pics or have any questions.

SJgunguy24
09-27-2011, 11:14 AM
First off buy a Saiga 545, then pick up either of these barrel assemblies.
This one has the proper barrel for a 100 series gun, it has the FSB combo block, handguard retainer, and rear sight leaf. Those parts combined will run close to 150-175 seperately, and with this you have to permanently attach a muzzle extension.
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16579&cat=274&page=1

This one is already 16" long and no permanently attached muzzle device is needed. You could get one like 13204u has to cover up the barrel.
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16612&cat=274&page=1

Get this, I know it's US made but who cares. Now you would need to scrounge up the hardware and contact Turbothis and see if he is still making the folding rear trunnions.
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16844&cat=283&page=3

The work involved isn't really something a beginner should take on unless you posess mad skills in metal working already. Of course this all involves a back end Saiga conversion. It ain't gonna be cheap, but if you really want it, thats how.

NorCalK9.com
09-27-2011, 9:11 PM
Im on the other hand gonna custom build an ak74 underfolder from a bulgarian 74 kit.