View Full Version : Building new upper, 20" lightweight, need help finding parts

09-25-2011, 2:31 PM
Hey everyone,

So I have decided that I want to build another upper for my ar-15. Right now I have a 16" government carbine upper. I want to build a 20" rifle upper, but I want to keep the weight down so I would like to use a lightweight profile. Also I would like the barrel to be chrome lined and of good quality.

The purpose of the upper would be general range shooting and sometimes apple seed style competitions between me and my friends. The later consists of 10 rounds fired semi-fast, then a cool down, and repeat. Can a pencil profile 20" handle this?

My Questions:

1) I would like some suggestions for the barrel. I actually cant find to many 20" pencil profile barrel other than a del-ton one, but that one does not seem to come chrome lined (all the other 20" do) I also don't mind spending more for a barrel if it will get me better accuracy.

2) Does anyone have any experience with the RRA NM freefloat handguards?
Link here (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9943/Product/AR_15_NM_FREE_FLOAT_BARREL_SLEEVE)
I am going to change out my collapsible moe stock for a A2 style stock, and it would be great if i could have a free float handguard that looks A2 also! I cant seem to find a lot about how these hardguards work though.

3) About the stock, does anyone know of a good place to get an A2 stock kit including the buffer tube, buffer, and stock?

4) To keep costs down, would there be anything keeping me from using my bolt/carrier assembly in the new upper?

5) I am going to go featureless, can anyone recommend a decent comp that is easy on the wallet?

Thanks for the help everyone.

09-25-2011, 2:48 PM
ACE stock and Troy TRX freefloat rail are very light.
Goverment profile barrel only weighs slightly more than pencil. You should gain accuracy and lots of choices.
Ares armor Effin-aye comp is the best and at $95ish can't be beat.

09-25-2011, 2:51 PM
Exile machine has stocks and the best grip for featureless .
They are a site sponsor. Link can be found here. The owner is a great guy That is very helpful and prompt with response.

09-25-2011, 3:21 PM
OHW - thanks for the reply. I am going to go with an A2 stock and a grip wrap for the featureless requirement, i like the look of the old A2s. For the hand guards, i would really like to know what those RRA freefloat ones are, if not i will either go with a simple carbon fiber tube or a non-freefloat A2 hand guard. I will think about just getting a government profile barrel, there are a lot more choices, unless someone else can find a lightweight one. Thakns for the effin a comp suggestion.