PDA

View Full Version : proof registration of RAW

entgunguy
09-25-2011, 3:19 PM
when going to the range with a registered assault weapon do most of you carry a copy of your registration? or is it not necessary since law enforcement should be able to look it up by the serial number?

Cokebottle
09-25-2011, 3:23 PM
Not legally required, because it will appear when a cop runs the SN.

But it's a smart idea.
Some ranges have a policy that you have to have it. Their range, their rules. Show it or don't shoot there.

Also, some have reported that information has been "lost" from the DOJ database, as well as erroneous entries where running someone's name shows guns registered to them that they've never owned.

So, legally required? No.
Wise? Yes.

USM0083
09-25-2011, 4:26 PM
I printed out a label with my registration number and stuck on the right side of the magwell.

All of the ranges I go to are OLL and RAW friendly, as long as you follow their rules.

crazychinaman
09-25-2011, 4:29 PM
I would carry a copy of the AW paperwork where ever you go shooting or where the guns go ,(gunsmith and repair shop , freinds house to clean.) Yes they can check there computers,But some times the info is not correct. My freind who is retired Huntington beach Sargent,Checked on himself .They listed four pistols he never had.

mike_the_wino
09-25-2011, 5:31 PM
carry a copy of your registration
This. Why it make an encounter with law enforcement any worse? Keep it upbeat, civil and friendly. Poor chaps deal with the dregs of humanity and 99.999999% of them will respond to respect with respect.

If you get 'that guy' show him your paperwork and then lawyer up. Don't make it worse for either of you.

Personally, I have never had more than just a cursory "what's that?" by the RO, followed by a general talk about guns. And mostly that's more of a check to see if you know your stuff, gun-wise.

esskay
09-25-2011, 11:38 PM
If you have a storage compartment (e.g. in your buttstock) just stick a copy in there.

SgtJT27
09-26-2011, 12:38 AM
I carry mine. I just Copied and reduced the size of my DOJ letter and laminated it.

bwiese
09-26-2011, 12:52 AM
Keep your original registration paper(s) in safety deposit box.
Carry copies with you. I carry one in truck's glove box, and one in every range bag with every registered semiauto.
Yeah, carrying reg papers is not legally required. But some ranges require it. Furthermore, if you're in an LE encounter
and the cop's out of radio/MDT range or has radio equipment problems, why prolong the drama?

crazychinaman
09-26-2011, 7:41 AM
Four he never had??
Is he worried???

Nope.He went told his superviser.They said don't worry about it ,too forget.......... So he moved out of state.Colorado to retire.

CK_32
09-26-2011, 9:11 AM
The 2 guys I know that have one keep their on them at all times just to shut the annoying nosy range heroes who give them crap.

But I don't think it's required. Don't have one so don't know. But they just have their in their gear bag or near by to pull it out to have something to show them so they don't have to argue for 10 min explaining why they are allowed to have it.

chead
09-26-2011, 11:25 AM
What does RAW paperwork even look like? I've never had the good fortune to see a RAW (in the raw?).

SgtJT27
09-26-2011, 11:54 AM
What does RAW paperwork even look like? I've never had the good fortune to see a RAW (in the raw?).

It's just a Letter from DOJ stating you registered your firearms as RAW and the list of the firearms with manuf, model and serial numbers.

chris
09-26-2011, 3:16 PM
i have mine with me when i go to the range just in case.

bohoki
09-26-2011, 5:22 PM
i bring it but nobody sees it until i am in cuffs

pyromensch
09-26-2011, 10:01 PM
It's just a Letter from DOJ stating you registered your firearms as RAW and the list of the firearms with manuf, model and serial numbers.
i did my registration when it first went into effect, and i have no idea where the paperwork is

ETAviator
04-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Question in regard to this thread.
If a LEO runs a check there is a section that says "OWA/AW123456"
Does this mean it is registered as an AW?

jbush
04-29-2012, 1:02 AM
I take a copy with me. First time at the local outdoor range the RO said i couldn't shoot it there. I showed my paperwork. He just checked serial numbers and said I was good to go. Never been ask there since, but i keep a copy in the gun case.

ocabj
04-29-2012, 6:42 AM
I take a copy with me. First time at the local outdoor range the RO said i couldn't shoot it there. I showed my paperwork. He just checked serial numbers and said I was good to go. Never been ask there since, but i keep a copy in the gun case.

That is pretty pointless by the range officer considering anyone can can a scan of the letterhead used for the DOJ letter and insert any manufacturer/model/serial.

S470FM
04-29-2012, 11:50 AM
I take my RAWs to the range on occasion and have never been hassled about it (other than the "what's that?" comments). Taking paperwork is a good idea though.

amd64
04-29-2012, 3:29 PM
I carry copies.
I don't like drama and want to spend more time shooting then explaining and waiting.

jbush
04-29-2012, 4:52 PM
That is pretty pointless by the range officer considering anyone can can a scan of the letterhead used for the DOJ letter and insert any manufacturer/model/serial.

He was just covering his a**. If there's a lot of forged RAW paperwork out there then we are all carrying worthless letters. Plus, I don't look like the criminal elements, just and old fart out to shoot some paper.