PDA

View Full Version : Wrong city of birth entered on 4473

Vampyredark
09-25-2011, 2:05 PM
So on the 4473, after I bought my new Rossi 357, I put Antelope Valley California as my birth city. However, I looked at my Birth Certificate and saw that it is actually Lancaster, California (The cities are right next to each other, if anyone lives near these areas they know what I mean). I am kind of Bummed out now.
Does anyone think this will make a big difference/problem?

I might have time to re fill out the form, since it will not get sent out until Monday, and the store is closed today (Sunday). But, if it is not going to be a problem then maybe I will just leave it.

September 25, 2011

dominic
09-25-2011, 2:13 PM
Welcome to calguns. You can always contact the FFL and tell him you made a mistake and he can correct it for you or have you go in and correct it. You are supposed to put a single line through mistakes and initial next to them.

GunDog
09-25-2011, 2:14 PM
Don't see it as being a much of a problem and wouldn't worry about it. Afterall, your "place of birth" was in fact Antelope Valley of which Lancaster is a part of.

Cokebottle
09-25-2011, 2:25 PM
The 4473 doesn't go anywhere except a box in the FFL's back room.

The California DROS is what is used for the background check... they use name and address.

send it
09-25-2011, 2:28 PM
the information is there to verify your name if there is a ****load of people with the same name.

Vampyredark
09-25-2011, 2:29 PM
Thanks guys! I found a similar question asked in other forums around the net. Here is what was said:

"Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe that your place of birth is one of the items that they give the NICS operator. I think that piece of information just resides on the form for reference (almostfree, 2009)"

and:

"NICS will ask the following of the FFL:

FFL#
Codeword
How many names would you like to check?
Last Name
First Name
Middle Name
Cadence (Jr., Sr., etc)
Place of Birth (state or foreign country)
Height
Weight
Social Security Number
Race (ethnicity)
State of Residence
Country of Citizenship
Type of Firearm to be Transferred

Then they give you the NICS transaction number, followed by:
Proceed
or
"I'm connecting you to a NICS Examiner for further review"
Who may give you a Proceed/Delay/Deny on the transaction.

There is additional information regarding that person on the 4473, but the FBI does not ask for that (dogtown tom, 2009)".

So apparently, it will most likely not be a problem since it will not be asked for. Nonetheless, I will call the dealer on monday soon as they open. Thanks for the help guys!
-Vampyredark

Cokebottle
09-25-2011, 2:53 PM
California does not use the NICS system, nor do they use the information on the 4473.
4473 information does not transmit anywhere except a file cabinet.

California DOJ has their own DROS system and that is what the DOJ uses to run their own background check.

It is theoretically possible for someone to be clear in California while denied in a "free state" or vice versa due to delays in information sharing between CaDOJ and NICS.

SSN is completely optional.

Press Check
09-25-2011, 3:02 PM
Just like the San Fernando Valley covers mutiple cities, I thought that the Antelope Valley covers Lancaster, Palmdale, etc.

Lumpia is sarap!
09-25-2011, 3:09 PM
OH NO!!! The BATF will be kicking your door down any minute!!!!

Just kidding. Call the gun shop, explain and see what happens.

halifax
09-25-2011, 3:18 PM
As stated, the information you entered on the 4473 is not sent to the CA DOJ. You will be required to re-sign and date the 4473 when you pickup the firearm. Make the correction at that time. Enter the correct U.S. City and State as required.

Vampyredark
09-25-2011, 3:26 PM
wow, a lot of information! Thanks to everyone who posted a reply. I guess I will just call the dealer in the morning and see whats up. I will probably just go in and change it.

I am just so eager to fire my 357 because I really like my brother in laws, so I had to buy one myself. This is why I asked the question; I do not want any unnecessary delays other than the 10 day wait.

Vampyredark
09-25-2011, 3:33 PM
Just like the San Fernando Valley covers mutiple cities, I thought that the Antelope Valley covers Lancaster, Palmdale, etc.
me too, I am only worried because I do not want to have a pending or denial..... I WANT MY GUN!

I am no criminal!

:)

cannon
09-25-2011, 4:12 PM
Don't do anything. It won't matter.

Press Check
09-25-2011, 4:27 PM
me too, I am only worried because I do not want to have a pending or denial..... I WANT MY GUN!

I am no criminal!

:)

Trust me, it is not going to be rejected.

Vampyredark
09-25-2011, 4:49 PM
Don't do anything. It won't matter.

Okay, thats awesome!

skyscraper
09-25-2011, 4:50 PM
I've done it before and didnt change it. Still went through no problems

Colt-45
09-25-2011, 5:47 PM
Don't worry about it too much.

I had the same issue, I wasn't sure if Palo Alto was my place of birth or if Stanford is now it's own town.

Fjold
09-25-2011, 7:12 PM
IIRC, you sign the 4473 under penalty of perjury that all the information is correct.

Cokebottle
09-25-2011, 7:35 PM
IIRC, you sign the 4473 under penalty of perjury that all the information is correct.
The form does not state "perjury"

But yes, it is a given that falsifying information on any federal form is a crime, however, in this case, the OP was not being deceitful... he simply mis-remembered his city of birth.

He's not going to be denied, and he's not going to go to jail over it.

CK_32
09-26-2011, 12:28 AM
The 4473 doesn't go anywhere except a box in the FFL's back room.

The California DROS is what is used for the background check... they use name and address.

Wow lame the guy at rifle gear always gives me greaf about my birth place being exact if not it will not pass. :facepalm:

So I always have to track my mom down and have her look at my birth cert in the attic and waste 30 min trying to get the exact birth city.

InGrAM
09-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Wow lame the guy at rifle gear always gives me greaf about my birth place being exact if not it will not pass. :facepalm:

So I always have to track my mom down and have her look at my birth cert in the attic and waste 30 min trying to get the exact birth city.

You had to do that more than once? :eek: lol Just given you a ****.

CK_32
09-26-2011, 9:02 AM
Yes lol I'm horrible with names and remembering stuff like that. The first time I just wrote it down because I was dumb and forgot to remember like I wasn't going to buy anymore guns....

Hah like that's going to happen! :rolleyes:

But I remember now :D

Vampyredark
09-26-2011, 10:25 AM
So, Heres an update on what happened with my 4473;

I called the gun dealer and told him that I put the wrong city down as my place of birth. He said that it is okay, doesnt really matter. When I come in to pick up the gun, draw a line through the mistake and write the correct place of birth, then initial it.

Sssssoooooo, it is just like everyone said on here; it will be fine!

Thanks everyone for your prompt replies!