PDA

View Full Version : Kimber cpd v grand raptor?

TRod1222
09-25-2011, 12:41 PM
which would you go for? looking for a good action pistol gun and all around keeper...

stormvet
09-25-2011, 1:41 PM
I'm sure you ment CDP, I have a CDP pro and ultra truly great guns. But they are ment for carry not as range guns, although they will work fine in that mode also. Really comes down to. Do you want a lite weight alloy gun CDP or all steel Raptor.

If its for carry CDP, nitestand/range Raptor. My take on the two guns anyway.

tacticalcity
09-25-2011, 3:04 PM
I would agree with the above. I own the basic all steel Kimber Custom II. My only complaint about it is the weight. It's not the most comfortable gun to carry all day long because of the weight. It is not intollerable, just not ideal. If I had realized this before I bought, I might have held out of an aluminum framed 1911. That said I do love my Kimber.

TRod1222
09-25-2011, 3:53 PM
Whoops yeah I did mean CDP. I really like the lighter frame ideal. Some of the 1911s can just get exhausting to hold!

Cyc Wid It
09-25-2011, 3:56 PM
For the price of a Grand Raptor you're at the Springfield TRP price range and approaching Les Baer prices. Just a couple of IMO better options.

blasterman88
09-25-2011, 9:48 PM
I have the ultra CDP and it is just as accurate as my buddys 5in CDP...atleast i am anyways. Where you notice the diffence is coming back to your target, say if you are gonna fire 2-3 shots quickly. The 5 inch comes back to the target a little better due to the length of the barrel.

greybeard
09-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Why not a Gold match, it is designed for comp

The SoCal Gunner
09-25-2011, 10:30 PM
If the Grand Raptor is any better than the Raptor than it would be an awesome shooter. I've always wanted a Gold Combat because of the bull barrel and beveling but of course I would also want a good deal. A Gold Combat RL would be even better.

helpme
09-25-2011, 10:58 PM
For the price of a Grand Raptor you're at the Springfield TRP price range and approaching Les Baer prices. Just a couple of IMO better options.

As an owner of a Kimber with a good amount of money into, I'd 100% agree you should get a Les Baer. That's what I wish I had done initially.

glockman19
09-26-2011, 8:26 AM
IMHO the Kimber Raptor series are some of the nicest looking, tightest fitting, most accurate 1911's I've come across.

I have the 3", 4" & 5" Raptor's and hope to add their Stainless bothers in the future.

bombadillo
09-26-2011, 8:57 AM
Funny you say that because one of my good friends bought both of those and the CDP outshoots the raptor all day. He actually sent the raptor back because at 25 yards, it was shooting about 3 FEET low, not inches. It went back two or 3 times before they bought it back. I know it was a fluke and most of the raptors/grand raptors are great guns but I would probably jump in bed with another Dan Wesson before I looked at Kimber.

For that matter, have you looked at a Dan Wesson PM7 or Classic Bobtail? Those are two fantastic 1911's with a great fit, trigger, and parts.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/dw.png
Pointman 7

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/D11/17/17999.jpg
Classic Bobtail

One thing I like a lot is that they're all made in the USA vs others that get parts from who knows where.

I'm obviously biased as I own a DW PM7 but out of all the kimbers I've shot, I was impressed only by the CDP.

JTROKS
09-26-2011, 9:23 AM
Go for the grand raptor if you want a range gun.

DArBad
09-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Grand Raptor is my vote.

Also, consider the Gold Match II model in either blued(my preference) or stainless.

The Dan Wesson PM7 is also a consideration, however, looking for them is very, very hard.

HPGunner
09-26-2011, 1:28 PM
The Kimber Raptor is one of the nicest looking 1911's around. I have a stainless one and I love to stare at it. However it doesn't shoot as nice as my Dan Wesson PM7 with Pachmyr grips. I feel my Dan Wesson is very well put together. The slide and frame fit is superb and very smooth racking. I have only held the CDP, but I have never shot one. They seem too light for my taste. Also the frame feels too delicate and I'd be afraid to handle it without getting it all dinged up. Probably great to carry but as a range gun I prefer all steel.

bombadillo
09-26-2011, 1:54 PM
Coming from a guy in your shoes exactly HPgunner, I have a DW too, and the CDP is a pretty heavy gun. With the bull barrel and steel slide/frame, its a solid little piece. Again, wasn't a fan of the grand raptor at all but that CDP impressed me.