PDA

View Full Version : Storing a semi auto long term with a chamber flag in ?

Saym14
09-25-2011, 11:30 AM
anyone ever read or heard of this is a bad idea? to store a semi auto with a chamber safety flag in it for periods of 6 months up to 2 years in between use ?

Oceanbob
09-25-2011, 11:30 AM
For what reason.?

Voo
09-25-2011, 11:54 AM
I have 2 Colt 1911's that are stored in a similar way.. They have a cable lock going through the barrel and out the chamber.. They've been this way for several years now...

One is still unfired, but the other functioned fine when I ran a few magazines of ammo through it... I cant' see any harm in using a chamber flag..

CK_32
09-25-2011, 11:57 AM
I think it's over kill for safety but I guess.... But it should be ok. Remember your rifle/pistol is metal your flag is plastic.. Which do you think will give first.

Edit: stupid autospell :facepalm:

Turo
09-25-2011, 12:00 PM
No, storing a gun with a chamber flag in it won't harm the gun. My question is why? Chamber flags are there so someone at a distance can reasonable assume that the gun is unloaded, but they shouldn't be relied on as looks can be deceiving.

Saym14
09-25-2011, 9:39 PM
why? because some of the guns in my safe are loaded. some are not - I would like to be able to tell at a glance which ones are ready and which are not. in case I need to grab one and use it.

G-forceJunkie
09-25-2011, 9:49 PM
Your complicating a simple idea. Load them all and never have to question it.why? because some of the guns in my safe are loaded. some are not - I would like to be able to tell at a glance which ones are ready and which are not. in case I need to grab one and use it.

Merc1138
09-25-2011, 9:51 PM
why? because some of the guns in my safe are loaded. some are not - I would like to be able to tell at a glance which ones are ready and which are not. in case I need to grab one and use it.

Makes sense if that's how you want to do it. Personally I treat all of mine as if they're loaded when I pick them up, so it really wouldn't matter to me if they had a chamber flag or not. If you want to do it that way, they're your guns, go for it.

As people have pointed out, a plastic chamber flag isn't going to do anything holding a bolt back except maybe let a little extra dust get in.

Turo
09-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Your complicating a simple idea. Load them all and never have to question it.

LOL that's what I do. Never have to wonder which gun is loaded, because they all are. Plus the old rule works, "Treat them all as if they were loaded, because they are!"

InGrAM
09-25-2011, 10:53 PM
I am pretty sure the OP is wondering if storing a gun in such a way will damage the firearm.
It will not "hurt" anything. Springs only wear out when they are compressed and retract over and over, or when they are stretched to far. So, leaving a pistol with an object in it, holding the slide back a half and inch or so, will do nothing.

You might want to try storing your handguns that are not loaded in socks. Leave the ones that are loaded out of socks. Problem solved.