PDA

View Full Version : Pmag falls out of magwell

slam128
09-25-2011, 10:58 AM
I finally had a chance to test fire my AR at the range yesterday and things didn't turn out quite like I'd hope. After loading all 10 rounds into the Pmag, I fired the first shot and hit the target. Pull the trigger for the 2nd shot and nothing. Looked down at my AR only to see the Pmag on the table!:eek: WTH!

Here's what I have:

30 Round Pmag converted to 10 using 10/30 magblocks from exile machine
Spikes tactical lower
CMT Bolt Carrier Group
BCM 16 mid-length upper

Has anyone else had this problem before with the Pmags?? Any solutions?

FourLoko
09-25-2011, 11:05 AM
tap it harder then tug, it will seat

or download to only 9 rounds

TKM
09-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Did you hear/feel a click when you seated the mag?

If not, you didn't seat the mag.

If so, a few pounds of spring pressure sheared off your mag catch and the rest of your rifle is made of zinc too, so you probably shouldn't shoot it anymore.

killshot44
09-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Magazine wasn't fully seated. Either insert the mag with the bolt racked back and caught by the bolt catch, or if you load on a closed bolt, slam that magazine in with some force.

Your blocked mag doesn't allow for much spring when loaded with ten, you can try downloading with nine also.

CK_32
09-25-2011, 11:09 AM
What all said above. Slam and tug. Make sure the bolt it open. Then slap the bolt release.

Should have the problem solved.

If not post a pic of your mag maybe your may catch slot isn't deep enough. But that's a stretch.

proclone1
09-25-2011, 11:09 AM
I have a few of the exile-machine pmag's with 10/30 magblocks that I perma-installed myself, and they work very well. Like killshot44 said, there isn't much spring-room left after the 10th round, so you really gotta slap it in until it clicks and you can't tug it out.

How many times did this happen with 10rds loaded to begin with?

Josh3239
09-25-2011, 11:20 AM
What another 10rd converted mag having problems! I don't believe it!

:rolleyes:

hcbr
09-25-2011, 11:23 AM
agree with everyone here said, just make sure you just slam it in and do a check to make sure things are in, and if things are still awry, check the mag catch components to see if you tightly adjusted it.

slam128
09-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Just spent the last hour tinkering with this problem with and without the rounds in the mag as suggested by everyone here and I'm starting to think that it might be the magazine latch or the bullet button. I've slammed the empty mag into to the magwell and made sure it clicked. Pulled it a few times and the pmag just came right out. I then press the magazine latch in with my thumb and trying pulling it again and it stayed. It's almost like I need 1mm on the latch to get it to stay put. Tried to turn the screw on the bullet button further, but I think it's maxed out.

I bought the bullet button from Ammo bros. It's a very basic bullet button. Not sure if this is the culprit, but might be worth a try.

What kind of bullet button are you guys running with your ARs? Any recommendation on where I can get a replacement?

CK_32
09-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Do you have any other mags doing the same issue or is it one mag??

If it's with all your mags you might need to fix your mag catch or get a new one. What bullet button are you using?

slam128
09-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Do you have any other mags doing the same issue or is it one mag??

If it's with all your mags you might need to fix your mag catch or get a new one. What bullet button are you using?

I have two pmags and both are doing the same thing. The mag catch came with the RRA LPK, but I thought they were all mil-spec. I guess I should replace that too.

slam128
09-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation on local shop in or around Los Angeles/ Pasadena area that sell magazine catches and bullet buttons ?

KaLiFORNIA
09-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Is the bolt locked back while loading?

baih777
09-25-2011, 12:24 PM
riflegear has parts.
it almost sounds like the spring is missing or broke in the bullet button.
take it to riflegear with you.

kpinole
09-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Is the bolt locked back while loading?

+1...some of my 10/30 mags require an open bolt to lock in.

CK_32
09-25-2011, 12:29 PM
He's already stated he's done it with empty mags with an open chamber. So that's not the issue.

Swiss
09-25-2011, 12:32 PM
I've had feed problems too with PMags but it turned out to be the bullet button. If it's not screwed down far enough the magazine catch actually extends too far out the other side of the well and drops down, preventing it from returning to lock in the mag.

The result for me has been occasional misfeeds and dropped mags until I figured out the cause and tightened things up.

Just spent the last hour tinkering with this problem with and without the rounds in the mag as suggested by everyone here and I'm starting to think that it might be the magazine latch or the bullet button. I've slammed the empty mag into to the magwell and made sure it clicked. Pulled it a few times and the pmag just came right out. I then press the magazine latch in with my thumb and trying pulling it again and it stayed. It's almost like I need 1mm on the latch to get it to stay put. Tried to turn the screw on the bullet button further, but I think it's maxed out.

I bought the bullet button from Ammo bros. It's a very basic bullet button. Not sure if this is the culprit, but might be worth a try.

What kind of bullet button are you guys running with your ARs? Any recommendation on where I can get a replacement?

Kingpin.SC
09-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Hey! I was one of the guys that helped you out at the range. So, you are having the problem with both of your mags? That is so weird! All of our mags locked in perfectly. Maybe it was a bad batch?

I'd head over to Addax in San Fernando, and talk to Justin or Jon. They'll be more than happy to help you figure it out, and they have plenty of bullet buttons in stock. If that fails, I would contact Magpul and see what they say. They might send you a couple of replacements.

Good luck!

slam128
09-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Hey! I was one of the guys that helped you out at the range. So, you are having the problem with both of your mags? That is so weird! All of our mags locked in perfectly. Maybe it was a bad batch?

I'd head over to Addax in San Fernando, and talk to Justin or Jon. They'll be more than happy to help you figure it out, and they have plenty of bullet buttons in stock. If that fails, I would contact Magpul and see what they say. They might send you a couple of replacements.

Good luck!

Thanks Greg! You and "J" are a lifesaver yesterday! Thanks for coming to my rescue and cleaning out the grains in my gun. It's always a pleasure meeting new AR enthusiast at the range. I know both your and J mags fit pretty well, but I'd hate to replace the pmags.

slam128
09-25-2011, 12:56 PM
I've had feed problems too with PMags but it turned out to be the bullet button. If it's not screwed down far enough the magazine catch actually extends too far out the other side of the well and drops down, preventing it from returning to lock in the mag.

The result for me has been occasional misfeeds and dropped mags until I figured out the cause and tightened things up.

Yes. This is the problem i'm having. I've tried to tighten the bullet button further, but the spring seems pretty weak and the mag catch seems to be off by 1mm, thus not catching very tight. When I press down on the mag catch and yank on the mag, it holds. However, after letting go of the catch and yanking several times, the mag just slips right out.

Calgunner217
09-25-2011, 1:33 PM
Sounds like you have a weak magazine catch spring or shorter spring on your mag catch. Try another spring .50 at most places. Or try investing in a Radlock, use one rubber washer and tighten all the way down. I don't think it's an issue with your pmags.

bullethead
09-25-2011, 6:34 PM
i had the same problem at the range last weekend with my pmags not locking in also. what i did was separate the upper and lower, put the magazine back in to see if it locked and it did. seems weird but i put the upper and lower back together with the mag still in, released the bolt and everything was fine from then on. im new to all this myself and still learning as i go.

NYY
09-25-2011, 7:08 PM
hit hard or load 9

cj cake
09-25-2011, 7:19 PM
I had this problem recently. It turned out that the magazine catch was the problem. All my metal mags were fine, but the plastic mags would not stay put. I adjusted the bullet button, replaced the spring, and finally replaced the entire bullet button, but this didn't help. The mag catch was not square and sharp at the edge that engages the magazine. I replaced it with one from RRA and it works perfectly now.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp156/cj_cake/Untitled-2.jpg

ElvenSoul
09-25-2011, 7:19 PM
Have you tried any old metal mags in it?

Rob454
09-25-2011, 9:13 PM
Did you fully seat the mag and did you hear the latch engage?

evidens83
09-26-2011, 6:46 AM
First make sure your BB is installed correctly. Then, just as everybody already stated, slam that magazine in their and make sure it clicked.

HK Dave
09-26-2011, 7:12 AM
Had a similar problem with a handgun recently, I just took it apart, used a file to sharpen the edge of the mag catch and mags stay put now.

Another thing I've noticed with people at ranges... they treat their AR like its fragile... you need to JAM THAT SOMMMABIZ in HARD. Don't worry, nothing will break.

CHS
09-26-2011, 1:08 PM
I can almost guarantee that your mag catch is out of spec.

Where did your LPK come from?

PMAG's NEED a proper in-spec mag catch with squared-off dimensions.

n2stackin
09-26-2011, 1:30 PM
Sounds like you have a weak magazine catch spring or shorter spring on your mag catch. Try another spring .50 at most places. Or try investing in a Radlock, use one rubber washer and tighten all the way down. I don't think it's an issue with your pmags.

For me, it was my BB. I changed it out for a Raddlock and all things have since been corrected. HTH

slam128
09-26-2011, 1:43 PM
I had this problem recently. It turned out that the magazine catch was the problem. All my metal mags were fine, but the plastic mags would not stay put. I adjusted the bullet button, replaced the spring, and finally replaced the entire bullet button, but this didn't help. The mag catch was not square and sharp at the edge that engages the magazine. I replaced it with one from RRA and it works perfectly now.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp156/cj_cake/Untitled-2.jpg

Funny that would be the fix. My mag catch was part of the RRA LPK. I think i'm going to try to switch that out catch first since it's the least expensive.

slam128
09-26-2011, 1:46 PM
Have you tried any old metal mags in it?

Yup. Kingpin.sc let me tried his metal mags and it fit without a problem. I'd hate to have to replace the pMags, so i'm going to try to find a new mag catch as everyone stated.

powthief19
11-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Did you ever get the pmags to work if so what was the fix?

I'm having the exact same issue. For some reason the 20 round pmags won't fall out though.

I'm using a radlock on an m&p15.

LBDamned
11-04-2011, 11:30 PM
pmags are the best thing since sliced bread you know...

you must not be slicing your bread right :rolleyes:

BTW, try Lancer Systems L5... but be ready for the bread slicers to tell you that the extra ten bux could get you two mags of ammo

CK_32
11-04-2011, 11:33 PM

Anything Travis hayley touches adds 500 fps to every gun don't you know ;)

Why else do you think everything he is involved with is so popular

LBDamned
11-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Anything Travis hayley touches adds 500 fps to every gun don't you know ;)

Why else do you think everything he is involved with is so popular

500 hearts just sank from the last two posts... and another 500 went to ER due to blood pressure spike :eek::facepalm:

CHS
11-05-2011, 7:33 AM

BTW, try Lancer Systems L5... but be ready for the bread slicers to tell you that the extra ten bux could get you two mags of ammo

PMAG's are probably the best mag on the market. Period.

However, that doesn't mean that every mag out there will work in every gun. PMAG's are just going to be incompatible with a small percentage of AR's and that's that. No big deal, move on, try out different mags. But that doesn't make the PMAG's any less than the best thing since sliced bread :)

Fate
11-05-2011, 8:26 PM
:troll: Pmags suck :troll:

:biggrinjester:

RustyMacHine
11-05-2011, 8:43 PM
I fired the first shot and hit the target. Pull the trigger for the 2nd shot and nothing. Looked down at my AR only to see the Pmag on the table!:eek: WTH!

Here's what I have:

30 Round Pmag converted to 10 using 10/30 magblocks from exile machine
Spikes tactical lower
CMT Bolt Carrier Group
BCM 16 mid-length upper

Has anyone else had this problem before with the Pmags?? Any solutions?

Last July I went with my friend's uncle to the range with his newly built AR. He didn't have mags for them so he used mine. (P-mags) He had the same issue but the issue was the mag wasn't seated all the way in. He said "I didn't want to slam it in there. They're plastic." He also blamed it on his raddlock at first.

I'm just saying.;)

slam128
11-06-2011, 5:53 PM
FYI UPDATE - PROBLEM SOLVED. After looking at the situation more carefully, it turns out that it was the bullet button not being fully tightened down far enough. You need to pull a great deal of pressure on the bullet button's spring to keep the latch in place to lock the mag in. I don't have a proper tool for my bullet button, so i just used a paper clip to tighten the screw all the way in.