PDA

View Full Version : Need BLM land around LA

Vintovka1891
09-25-2011, 3:04 AM
I just moved to Tarzana in the San Fernando valley last week from New York. Tried out the Angeles shooting range today near Sylmar at the recommendation of some of the members here. It was a cool range, but I was extremely disappointed to hear I couldn't shoot my 5.45 Ak because the surplus ammo I have for it is steel core. At any rate, I have already invested in tons of surplus 7N6 which was fine to shoot at ranges in NY. The RO told me that every range in SoCal doesn't allow steel core ammo because it might create sparks and start a fire.

So now I NEED BLM land in the area to shoot my only centerfire rifle (left most of my collection in NY). I also drive a car that is not 4x4, so the land would need to be somewhat easily accessible (no mud or sand to get stuck in). Is there a place I can go to see all available BLM land mapped out? I really appreciate any tips or recommendations. Thanks

nrakid88
09-25-2011, 3:33 AM
I'm in with you on this one. Although don't expect a lot of help, I get the feeling a good spot is a guarded treasure. I wish there was a good BLM map, that included roads and trails.

zeus45c
09-25-2011, 4:08 AM
I recently read that you can shoot your magnetic ammo at Raahauge's in Corona. The only drawback is that it is 30.00 for two hours range time if they are busy. I would call to confirm the details.

http://www.raahauges.com/

Full Clip
09-25-2011, 5:06 AM
Just an FYI: If you do find a suitable BLM shooting spot, just watch out for possible fire conditions. Most CA ranges don't allow magnetic ammo due to fire concerns, and you will be held financially responsible if you accidentally start one and it has to be put out. No, it's not a myth. Not something you had to worry about in NY, I know, but it's a genuine concern in So Cal, especially when we're so bone-dry from May-November or so.
You should also watch "Shoots, Meets and Range Stories (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=115)" for any upcoming BLM-located events.
Oh, and welcome to CA... :)

Taildraggerdave
09-25-2011, 7:54 AM
Is your ammo steel core or just magnetic?
Burro Canyon in Azusa allows magnetic (bi-metal) ammo during the wet months.
Here is a link to their FAQ page http://www.burrocanyon.com/faqs.shtml

Take care,
Dave

Nevermind, I didn't know what 7N6 was until I googled it.....

brando
09-25-2011, 1:02 PM
I get the feeling a good spot is a guarded treasure.

You sir, are correct. Imagine the frustration of telling a few people about a great spot only to have it occupied by bozos who have a complete lack of respect for safety and common sense? Yeah, good spots, especially for ELR shooting, are kept close hold.

Oh and get used to the fire safety issue here in CA, especially SoCal. We don't like massive wild fires any more than TX and so we restrict the risky activity that causes them.

saki302
09-25-2011, 8:27 PM
Go to Burro in winter- shouldn't have an issue there once fire season is over.

Angeles used to allow magnetic ammo during the wet months, but stopped doing it about 10 years ago.. or was it more?

-Dave

Vintovka1891
09-25-2011, 8:46 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I found an old calguns thread that gave gps coordinates for a quarry in palmdale. I guess that's the closest sure place for me to use until I do some exploring. I really liked the setup at Angeles range, and will go back with other guns than my AK.

Fate
09-25-2011, 9:05 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I found an old calguns thread that gave gps coordinates for a quarry in palmdale. I guess that's the closest sure place for me to use until I do some exploring. I really liked the setup at Angeles range, and will go back with other guns than my AK.
Sorry bud. Palmdale is Los Angeles County. There is no shooting on BLM land in LA County. Rosamond used to be the spot to go, but access issues have closed some areas there too.

Vintovka1891
09-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Ah shoot. Yeah the rosamond exit on the 14 was what I found. Will the Bureau of Land Management be forthcoming if I were to call them and ask about shooting on public land? See as a new resident, how am I supposed to know LA county banned shooting on public land? Someone should make a website with the info, I'd bet they'd get a lot of traffic...

bellson
09-25-2011, 10:52 PM
I just moved to Tarzana in the San Fernando valley last week from New York. Tried out the Angeles shooting range today near Sylmar at the recommendation of some of the members here. It was a cool range, but I was extremely disappointed to hear I couldn't shoot my 5.45 Ak because the surplus ammo I have for it is steel core. At any rate, I have already invested in tons of surplus 7N6 which was fine to shoot at ranges in NY. The RO told me that every range in SoCal doesn't allow steel core ammo because it might create sparks and start a fire.

So now I NEED BLM land in the area to shoot my only centerfire rifle (left most of my collection in NY). I also drive a car that is not 4x4, so the land would need to be somewhat easily accessible (no mud or sand to get stuck in). Is there a place I can go to see all available BLM land mapped out? I really appreciate any tips or recommendations. Thanks

Desert Marksman....

http://www.desertmarksmen.org/

Not too far from your AO.

Vintovka1891
09-26-2011, 12:19 AM
Desert Marksman....

http://www.desertmarksmen.org/

Not too far from your AO.

Thanks, this looks like an awesome range. They dont publicize their location on the website other than to say it is in Lancaster. Do you know specifics?

As an aside, do any Calgunners know where I can find IPSC and USPSA shoots around LA and SoCal? I used to compete in NY and would love to keep it up.

Pedantic
09-26-2011, 2:31 AM
Thanks, this looks like an awesome range. They dont publicize their location on the website other than to say it is in Lancaster. Do you know specifics?

As an aside, do any Calgunners know where I can find IPSC and USPSA shoots around LA and SoCal? I used to compete in NY and would love to keep it up.

Found them. Use satellite view for an idea of the range setup.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=kentucky+springs+canyon+road&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=600l600l0l924l1l1l0l0l0l0l159l159l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1920&bih=1050&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

dieselpower
09-26-2011, 4:56 AM
It really sucks in LA. You can go to sportsmanmaps.com Yeah the site has no certificate and your browser will give you a warning, but its safe. You can download any BLM map you want. Drive up the 5 and the 14 and find an old desert road and have fun.

Please watch what you are shooting at, fire season is no joke.

dieselpower
09-26-2011, 5:16 AM
Oh and you can not use the 7N6 ammo at Desert Marksman Club. That ammo is designated AP.

From Desert Marksman home page rules of membership...
ARTICLE VI: SUSPENSION OR EXPULSION

VI.1 Any member deliberately using armor piercing (AP), tracer, or incendiary ammunition on the range or found engaged in any act of vandalism, will be expelled from the club.

From the wiki on AK ammo...
As body armor saw increasing use in militaries, the original 5N7 standard service cartridge bullet construction was changed several times to improve penetration. This resulted in the 7N6, 7N10, 7N22 and 7N24 cartridge 5.4539mm variants.
The 7N6 bullet has a 1.43 g (22.1 gr) steel rod penetrator. Since 1987 this penetrator is hardened to 60 HRC. The latter 7N6 cartridge can penetrate a 6 mm thick St3 steel plate at 300 m and 6Zh85T body armour at 80 m. 7N6 bullets have a red identification ring above the cartridge neck.

Its a nice range and all. Its an easy drive. Store that 7N6 ammo, its not going to be legal to use anywhere in California, and if you go out and start a fire with it the bill will be legally enforceable to you... we are talking about a SEVERAL MILLION DOLLAR BILL for firefighter sevice. You will die an old man and still owe the Government money.

bernieb90
09-26-2011, 10:10 AM
It doesn't look like 7N6 has any better penetration than M855 or even M193 for that matter.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/549023_5_45_and_5_56_steel_plate_testing.html

dieselpower
09-26-2011, 11:02 AM
It doesn't look like 7N6 has any better penetration than M855 or even M193 for that matter.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/549023_5_45_and_5_56_steel_plate_testing.html

penatration ability on a chart doesnt cut it when they see the ammo. Then they will see the freaking hole in the target and kick your butt out of the range...

tujungatoes
09-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Oaktree gun club in newhall. Although I believe their rifle range is under construction.

Also Hornady sells non magnetic 5.45 ammo. Not as cheap as surplus, but it will allow you to shoot at angeles.

bernieb90
09-26-2011, 11:57 AM
penatration ability on a chart doesnt cut it when they see the ammo. Then they will see the freaking hole in the target and kick your butt out of the range...

I am simply pointing out that the AP capabilities of 7N6 are overstated. However If you shoot at a private range you abide by their rules. Even though I doubt there would be significantly greater damage to proper AR500 targets from 7N6 vs. M855 which has a steel penetrator, but is not classified as AP.

brando
09-26-2011, 3:00 PM
It really sucks in LA

You haven't been out much then. Travel around the rest of the country and while you'll find people who would be jealous to have access to a range like Angeles (with paper to 300 and steel to 600 yards) as well as BLM land that you can shoot beyond a mile all within an hour or two. Most of the country has to chose one or the other.

icedevil
09-26-2011, 3:09 PM

Depending on where you are in LA, one or more of these USPSA clubs should be convenient for you:

ISI Shootists (also have IDPA and Steel Challenge Matches): http://www.isishootists.com

Gopher Flats: http://www.gopherflats.org/swpl/swpl.htm

Prado: http://www.prg-ipsc.com/

Norco: http://nrg.jvdynamics.com/nrg/

Head on over to the Competition forum and you can get a ton more information and connect with people that shoot at all these clubs.

n0xname
09-26-2011, 3:23 PM
Drive 2 hrs to barstow its worth the trip plenty of blm land out there

Mamluke
09-26-2011, 3:30 PM
... I NEED BLM land in the area to shoot my only centerfire rifle (left most of my collection in NY). I also drive a car that is not 4x4, so the land would need to be somewhat easily accessible (no mud or sand to get stuck in). Is there a place I can go to see all available BLM land mapped out? I really appreciate any tips or recommendations. Thanks

The nearest BLM is about 2 hour drive in the socal high desert.
North of the Kramer junction (intersection of hwy 58 & 395) & east of hwy 395. Massive desert trail system.

Few things to keep in mind:
Accessible by suv, 4wd not necessary if its not raining.

Stay 150 yards from any man made structure.
Shoot downward, construct a sand berm behind your target.

Shoot at paper target, no cans etc... & don't leave any trash behind (water bottles, bags etc...)

Summer time not recommended, but if you must; plan to be there by 5:30AM & plan to leave by 9AM... its super hot! 100+ degrees

bring lots of water & usual survival stuff...AT&T continuous cell coverage...
Lookout for snakes, spiders & scorpions... yep, its an adventure!

Been there just recently & shot this short video:

vuk5OVOjTzI

Good luck, be safe & have fun

secret.asian.man
09-26-2011, 7:03 PM

wait until after november. ranges usually end fire season in november. and you can start using your steel core. call and ask first though.

tujungatoes
09-26-2011, 9:57 PM
wait until after november. ranges usually end fire season in november. and you can start using your steel core. call and ask first though.

Angeles has a year round non-magnetic policy. Even in January while f**king raining.:banghead:

Also I lol'd at your screen name. Thanks.

blackfalcon
09-26-2011, 10:23 PM
It is a pain, but you could buy new bullets and just change them out.

ArmedDefense
09-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Raahauge's Shooting Range does not have any restrictions. Shot a bunch of green tip at a metal gas tank. I even asked the RO and he said to shoot whatever I want at whatever I want.:chris:

sharkforce
09-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Is your ammo steel core or just magnetic?
Burro Canyon in Azusa allows magnetic (bi-metal) ammo during the wet months.
Here is a link to their FAQ page http://www.burrocanyon.com/faqs.shtml

Take care,
Dave

Nevermind, I didn't know what 7N6 was until I googled it.....

ive seen people using their spam can steel core light ball 7.62x54r ammo during the wet months at burro canyon the RO always asks if you have AP ammo, white tip etc, apparently standard surplus ammo is not a problem?

yoitsbruce
09-27-2011, 12:54 AM
glass factory in santa barbara its free but sometimes the tables are filled. but they clear quick.

tujungatoes
09-27-2011, 9:34 AM
It is a pain, but you could buy new bullets and just change them out.

If you've got a source for non magnetic .221" diameter bullets I'd love to hear about it.

Coyotegunner
09-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Up here in the desert.The local gun club has a huge problem since a fire there.The responsible party is still waiting to see if he gets the bill for the crews that showed up.If you create a fire in the desert(BLM),same thing.

Mamluke
09-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Up here in the desert.The local gun club has a huge problem since a fire there.The responsible party is still waiting to see if he gets the bill for the crews that showed up.If you create a fire in the desert(BLM),same thing.

+1

I might ad to my previous post, if you shoot BLM desert in the summer, carry a fire distinguisher in your vehicle.