PDA

View Full Version : Bersa 380?

Remaxman
09-24-2011, 11:44 PM
I've always purchased quality weapons i.e. Sig, Ruger, Colt, S&W...
I decided that I'd like to buy a new 380 so the other day dropped by Turners to take a look. One of the weapons they showed me was the Bersa which seemed to be priced very well at $279.00 when compared to many others.
I have to say I thought it looked pretty well put together and felt quite comfortable in my hand. I know it's no Beretta, Sig or Ruger, but for the money, I'm not sure if it's not a bad decision?
This gun would primarily be used at the range and/or CC in the glove box of the truck.
Not expecting it to get a lot of use or abuse. Standard 380 HP rounds for ammo. Any experience, thoughts or suggestions regarding this weapon.
Thanks.

Tiberius
09-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Do a search for threads, but the Bersa Thunder 380s get great reviews. Nearly everyone loves them, and they seem to be great deals. I have one, and use it routinely for CCW I mean LTC. I like it but don't quite love it - I had a mag fall apart in my hands (one that came with the gun). It was quickly replaced and the service was great, but I haven't had that happen with any other gun. After checking around on the Bersa forum, it seems no one else has had that happen either, so its probably just a fluke. But it rattled my confidence. They're bigger than some guns, but you get a nearly full size grip. You can get night sights for them for about $80, I think.

bsg
09-24-2011, 11:51 PM
i've never owned one. i've got a w german Sig Sauer P230SL, and have noticed in comparison reviews that the two are frequently compared to one another. to my surprise... the results give the Sig the win, but with the Bersa being a close second in function tests.

there have been many threads here on the forum regarding the Bersa; use your search button and check these threads out... in addition to whatever feedback you get here.

almost all of the feedback i have heard and read on the Bersa have been positive.

ThePeaceMaker707
09-25-2011, 2:16 AM
I have a Bersa in 9mm.. it's quite different than the .380, I realize,so I can't attest to that model in particular. But I am very pleased with the quality of the weapon I own. If the .380 is made with the same quality as the 9mm, then expect a well built piece of equipment. Take into account the quality of it, and factor in the price, and you've got a very great value.
(People may knock Bersa if they haven't heard of it, so they make assumptions about it's performance and quality. But if they haven't heard of it, the obviously have no experience with it, so those assumptions are baseless.)
I don't know a ton about other guns, but I know the guns I have experience with. I've shot thousands of rounds through my Bersa 9mm in the 3 years I've had it, and I can say it's built just as well as any other gun I've fired.

Also, my cousin has a Bersa .380 and he has had nothing but good things to say about that gun as well.

Hope that helps. IMO, I wouldn't let the fear of quality issues be the reason to stop you from getting a Bersa.

586L-Frame
09-25-2011, 3:21 AM
I have a Bersa/Firestorm .380 and was surprised how accurate it is.
I also own Sigs, Berettas, S&W's, Ruger's, CZ's, etc...
Fun to shoot. About the same size as my S&W 3913 9mm, but lighter.
586L-Frame

DLC’s Bersa Firestorm .380acp. with Bianchi Holster.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/dlchan/DSC02468-DLCsFireStorm380.jpg

x

cowboy777
09-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Best 380 for the money hands down. It's better than other 380's that are double. People say the sig us better but it's more than double the price. It's very accurate, reliable, affordable, & comfortable. Do yourself a favor and get one today!

robcoe
09-25-2011, 10:48 AM
I've always purchased quality weapons i.e. Sig, Ruger, Colt, S&W...
I decided that I'd like to buy a new 380 so the other day dropped by Turners to take a look. One of the weapons they showed me was the Bersa which seemed to be priced very well at $279.00 when compared to many others.
I have to say I thought it looked pretty well put together and felt quite comfortable in my hand. I know it's no Beretta, Sig or Ruger, but for the money, I'm not sure if it's not a bad decision?
This gun would primarily be used at the range and/or CC in the glove box of the truck.
Not expecting it to get a lot of use or abuse. Standard 380 HP rounds for ammo. Any experience, thoughts or suggestions regarding this weapon.
Thanks.

Nice little guns, overall I prefer the sig232, but it is also a lot more expensive.

For the price it's great, and even with range guns I havent had one jam on me, something even Glocks cant claim.

Ksmash01
09-25-2011, 12:09 PM
I like mine a lot.

I've had a couple of stovepipes with Ultramax re manufactured ammo, but 100% with Hornady Critical Defense, Federal Hydro-shocks, and PMC 95gr FMJ's .

I would definitely get one if I were you.

shafferds
09-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Have had two and they are great guns for the price.

redrex
09-25-2011, 1:42 PM
I have a Bersa 380. Ok, technically the wife has one, I bought it for her for mothers day. They are great, really nice build quality and great fit and finish.

Do a search on the board and you will be hard pressed to find someone who owns and shoots one who doesn't love it.

That being said, I am going to just say this. They are a little bit on the big side. I also have a Ruger LC9 and they are basicly the same size. I will say that the ergonomics of the Bersa are so much better then the Ruger. But think about it, it's a 9mm. It's just something to think about.

You can see some pics on my thread here: PICS (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=460671)

LDSGJimbo
09-25-2011, 2:06 PM
I want one . . . but without a CCW permit I lack the motivation.

jben
09-25-2011, 2:17 PM
I have a Bersa Thunder 380. I think it's a great gun and you can't beat the price.

But...if you get one, do NOT buy aftermarket magazines. I had a horrible jam during qualifying in my LTC class using an aftermarket mag. Very embarrassing. I was able to recreate the jam with the other two aftermarkets I had when shooting it later. I threw all three away.

The gun has run flawlessly with Bersa mags.

Ksmash01
09-25-2011, 2:45 PM
Come to think of it, my stovepipes happened with Pro Mags as well...

I just use them at the range...

It helps when I practice failure drills to not have a reliable mag...

jgorman
09-25-2011, 2:54 PM
I love mine, I carry it when I don't feel like carrying the slightly bigger G23. 450 rounds no malfunctions. All bersa mags.

resident-shooter
09-25-2011, 3:14 PM
VERY high value pistol that gets almost universally positive reviews. It would be my weapon of choice for CCW along side Walther PPK and Sig P232 (which are 2 times the price). Another alternative is Makarov.

mossy
09-25-2011, 3:18 PM
i keep one loaded and pack it around the hous when the ghetto birds fly in for partys that end only when the cops come. the finish is weak though, strong cleaners will strip it off. made a thread about it with pics do a search and have a look. other than that its a great little gun. they did have problems with a important spring breaking, but i think they fixed that issue.

bombadillo
09-25-2011, 3:25 PM
No offense meant here, but check out the Ruger LC9 for a great subcompact gun. It has a real manual safety, 8+1 capacity, and chambered in 9mm which is a lot more potent and MANY more ammo choices as well as being quite a bit cheaper in the long run to shoot and practice with. I just picked one up and am VERY happy with it. Super compact, smooth, and runs like a champ. I do like the exposed hammer on the bersa though even if I don't like .380.

Remaxman
09-25-2011, 6:06 PM
Great info. Thanx!

okglockman
09-25-2011, 6:10 PM
It's a good gun, but on the heavy side compared to others in it's class. The Ruger LCP and Keltec P3AT are both considerably lighter and will perform just as well. I've owned one....and enjoyed shooting it. That's not a bad price for one. I was able to trade it straight across for a brand new Kel-Tec PF9, 9mm that's the same size, just more fire power.

Remaxman
09-25-2011, 6:12 PM
Thanks again! Great feedback & info from all of you that responded.
I'm gonna go look at it again tomorrow and if I'm stll impressed, will most likely buy it. Once again, for that price...how can you really go wrong?

Bug Splat
09-25-2011, 6:59 PM
I was set on buying another Walther for carry. Salesman and long time friend strongly suggested I forget about the Walther and look at the Bersa. Without even looking at the price I held both and fell in love with the Bersa. I was head over heals when I learned it was half the price.

Its been 6 months and I still love it. Zero jams with hundreds of rounds, half being JHP (all with Bersa OEM mags). Its a hell of a gun when compared to others but its price tag makes it an amazing deal.

Andric
09-25-2011, 7:17 PM
Love mine, for the price it can't be beat.

Sicilian
09-26-2011, 12:00 AM
A friend of mine has a Bersa 380 that I get to shoot quite a bit. It has been flawless, and he says it is one of his favorite handguns. I like the fact that it is DA. I don't like the fact that it is 380. For the size I would prefer it be 9mm, or have a more compact 380.

The Firestorm in 22LR shares the same frame. I wish I could find one of those. That would be a great fun gun.

RedFord150
09-26-2011, 9:51 AM
The only thing I don't like about my Bersa .380 is the Gold Accents (only 1 in stock and on sale). Other than this, it is a great shooter and very reliable. I consider it my 'Travel gun'. For HD, I choose Cor-Bon DPX 90 grain JHP or Golden Sabre 102 Grain JHP. No feeding probs with either.
I have experienced FTF with WWB and a Pro Mag Magazine.