PDA

View Full Version : Steyr Aug

Shooter88
09-24-2011, 8:05 PM
I was wondering about the legality of this rifle. It is one that has always facinated me but I rarely see them. I did however see one at the gun show in Costa Mea about a month ago. I dont know how legal they are to own though. I know it would have to have a bullet button/10 round magazine. I also dont know how reliable or how well built they are. Basically I dont know anything about them, except for I might like to get one one day. Does anyone here own one or have any experiance with them?

ianal
09-24-2011, 8:09 PM
Just saw one on the wall at River City Gun Exchange today, so that should answer the legality question. I didn't really take a close look at it, so I'm not sure what might have been modified for sale here, beyond the obvious 10 rounder, etc.

dieselpower
09-24-2011, 8:15 PM
If its in Ca and has a price tag on it there is a 99% chance its legal to sell... legal to own...legal to shoot. An FFL isn't going to do something as stupid as sell an illegal firearm. Now if Joe Civilian walks up to you and asks you to buy his MP510SD, I would hold off handing him cash until you talk to an FFL.

MrPlink
09-24-2011, 8:15 PM
Just saw one on the wall at River City Gun Exchange today, so that should answer the legality question. I didn't really take a close look at it, so I'm not sure what might have been modified for sale here, beyond the obvious 10 rounder, etc.

an actual AUG or MSAR?
MSAR is a clone

anything actually marked Steyr AUG is illegal as it is listed by name as an assault weapon

CRTguns
09-24-2011, 8:16 PM
You can;t get teh Steyr AUG... you can get the Microtec MSAR. Same same. Just as bad as the original.
Bad trigger, slow reloads, bad balance...and being so heavy over the rear axle makes it overcorrect when you try to move from target to target.

I got the airsoft version to quench my need to own an AUG. (about $1100 less, and probably more useful)

MrPlink
09-24-2011, 9:06 PM
I got the airsoft version to quench my need to own an AUG. (about $1100 less, and probably more useful)

more reliable anyways :facepalm:

M.C.
09-24-2011, 10:01 PM
You can;t get teh Steyr AUG... you can get the Microtec MSAR. Same same. Just as bad as the original.
Bad trigger, slow reloads, bad balance...and being so heavy over the rear axle makes it overcorrect when you try to move from target to target.

Wait... you mean the AUG isn't the be all end all for rifles and is far from the direction of practicality? Say it ain't so.

chead
09-24-2011, 10:43 PM
There are legit Steyr AUG-type rifles that are technically off-list, but there are only 1000 in the country and MSAR isn't producing more rifles as of now.

bob7122
09-24-2011, 10:50 PM
the ones you see are clones and expensive. i would like to buy one chambered in 7.62x39; now that would be badass.

tonelar
09-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Steyr USR are legal if 30" oal and featureless or maglocked. I own both AUG (RAW) and an AUGA3 (bb). People can hate all they want; I can't. Mine are terrific shooters.

If you saw em for sale, theyre either MSAR or TPD clones or an AUGA3 or USR.

resident-shooter
09-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Bullpups get old after a while due to weight balance being all the way in the back. they were designed as close quarter combat rifles, meant to be compact yest deadly. For recreational shooting, hunting, open battlefiled, they are eh

chead
09-25-2011, 9:49 AM
Bullpups get old after a while due to weight balance being all the way in the back. they were designed as close quarter combat rifles, meant to be compact yest deadly. For recreational shooting, hunting, open battlefiled, they are eh

I think most people like the weight in the back, against their shoulder. It means the gun is less front-heavy, and there is less sprung weight moving out away from your body and shoulder.

the_t0ny
09-25-2011, 10:13 AM
I shot a msar before and I remember it would jam with every mag full of ammo. Probably didn't help that I was shooting wolf ammo either. But when it did shoot, it was really accurate.

osis32
09-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Msar filed chapter 11 bankruptcy. I bought one right before it happened. If you want one and can find one i suggest going featureless.

cantcme
09-25-2011, 7:26 PM
TDS guns has the clone model on their wall for 1500. I don't know anything about the clone but I carried a AUG for years on a tactical team and on a drug team. I loved it indoors and out. It never failed ONCE and I put thousands of rounds through it.

I had no trouble keeping up with the MP5 guys inside and I had the advantage of being able to defeat body armor. I could hit downsized torso targets all day long at 300 yards. I'm not saying the AUG is better than any other gun but I am saying I used it in the real world and it impressed me. I prefer them over the AR-15 (which I own) but that is personal preference.

watchdog
09-25-2011, 9:20 PM
I had no trouble keeping up with the MP5 guys inside and I had the advantage of being able to defeat body armor. I could hit downsized torso targets all day long at 300 yards. I'm not saying the AUG is better than any other gun but I am saying I used it in the real world and it impressed me. I prefer them over the AR-15 (which I own) but that is personal preference.

I'm with you. I was lucky enough to get one of the early legal imports prior to Roberti-Roos. Fires and balances like a dream. People hate what they can't have.

starsnuffer
09-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Had one when I lived in FL, my brother has it now. Love that rifle. People either like bullpups or they hate them. Some people just hate anything that's not an AR.

The Aug is accurate, handles well, and has a lot of class. 42 round mags FTW.

-W

tonelar
09-25-2011, 10:32 PM
I owned an original colt CAR15 in the 80's and it was a great carbine. Then I bought a used AUG for $500 and took it to the range alongside that neat little AR. The bullpup took about a magazine for me to get used to... after that, it was the only carbine I or any of my range friends would shoot.

A month later, Victor at HH told me the AUG price was due to increase (to $750) and he had one left for $650. I sold that CAR and bought that brand new AUG... Not like I have issues with it's longer barrels barrels, but the 14.5" barrel really feels natural to me.

turbopower
09-26-2011, 8:16 PM
I too have a Aug USR, AR's, Hk 91, FAL's, AK's and a M1A. First one I pull out of the safe to go shoot with is the AUG. Balance is great and pointing feels so natural and fast. By far the most comfortable rifle I own. I don't see reloads being that much slower than any other rifle, so heres a video to see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K5MYDmTEUM

23 Blast
09-27-2011, 4:36 AM
Had one when I lived in FL, my brother has it now. Love that rifle. People either like bullpups or they hate them. Some people just hate anything that's not an AR.

-W

Now that there (the bolded) is sig worthy!

CRTguns
09-27-2011, 7:29 PM
I too have a Aug USR, AR's, Hk 91, FAL's, AK's and a M1A. First one I pull out of the safe to go shoot with is the AUG. Balance is great and pointing feels so natural and fast. By far the most comfortable rifle I own. I don't see reloads being that much slower than any other rifle, so heres a video to see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K5MYDmTEUM

doood- you need waaaay more posts before your opinion becomes valid.;)
Kidding, of course. yours is more valid than most, cause you have one, currently.

It depends on how you handle the gun- what you use it for. from a bench, sandbag, etc... you'd never know the diff. As for reloads and handling... NO great world power military uses them (former yugoslavia did for some time- slovenia still does) and NO competative shooter worth a darn will play with an AUG. There are really really sound reasons for this. Watch that video again- takes about TWICE as long to reload your AUG- one hand must reach for the mag latch, then the new mag, then the bolt release, then back to foregrip, after reaquiring sight picture. In the AR or similar, eyes can stay toward target, gun can stay toward target, one hand is manipulating NEW mag while othe hand drops EMPTY mag, and after inserting mag with front hand, the hand may remain on magwell. Its a question of economy of motion. The AUG takes longer- more steps, labor intensive.

There is one exception to the bullpup failure rate- the Israeli Tavor. This is a great weapon, only becasue israel made it- and they get lots of practice- more than any other country.

I'll be first to admit, at one tim in my life my loins ached for an AUG. I thougt it was the greatest thing ever. Then tried the airsoft and got over that real fast. Not airsoft I still play- the AUG is what I got over- then had to GIVE the dern thing away- could not sell it..

If you really really luv bullpups- look at Kel-Tec.

6172crew
09-27-2011, 8:43 PM
I own a AUGA3, great rifle IMO. My understanding is they don't sell them in the US and longer.

Toolbox X
09-27-2011, 9:14 PM
Terminal wound ballistics from a 10.5" barrel are pathetic. The AUG bests the non-bullpups with it's full length barrel in an incredibly short rifle. Of course there is a trade off. The non-bullpups are a lot faster to reload and a lot more refined. I prefer my SCAR over my 2 MSARs, but I still love my MSARs.

chrisf
09-27-2011, 9:23 PM
I've always wanted one. There the only gun that is both ugly and cool. I learned about the aug back in my counterstrike days.

turbopower
09-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Crt not trying to get in a back and forth with you but it has been adopted by a few countries. If it doesn't float your boat I understand as everybody is different but if you have noticed those who have or had an AUG tend to favor it over their other rifles. To each their own, and I can respect that. Here is a list I found on the web, so it is in circulation with military forces.

The rifle has also been adopted by the armed forces of Argentina, Australia ( - accepted into service in 1985 and manufactured by Australian Defence Industries in Lithgow, the F88 Austeyr model is also in use by New Zealand), Bolivia, Ecuador (since 1988), Ireland, Luxembourg, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia (introduced in 1978), Pakistan, and (since 1988) U.S. Customs Service (now the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency).

On a side note a lot of times the best weapon is not always chosen as politics play a big part on who wins government contracts. Not saying the AUG is the best out there, its just that there are just a lot of external factors that affect what weapon gets chosen IMO.

turbopower
09-27-2011, 11:08 PM
I own a AUGA3, great rifle IMO. My understanding is they don't sell them in the US and longer.

Done some searching about the USA AUG A3 production as I wanna pick up an A3 version, but it seems Styer USA is looking for a USA manufacture to make some parts (I believe the barrels, receivers, and other parts) for the next run of AUG's. The US manufacture who made parts for the first batch of US AUG's went under from what I've read. Keeping fingers crossed that they get something arranged as I would love to add another AUG to my collection.

turbopower
09-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Terminal wound ballistics from a 10.5" barrel are pathetic. The AUG bests the non-bullpups with it's full length barrel in an incredibly short rifle. Of course there is a trade off. The non-bullpups are a lot faster to reload and a lot more refined. I prefer my SCAR over my 2 MSARs, but I still love my MSARs.

Toolbox the SCAR is that good huh. I was looking at them and was wondering if the price is worth the cost of admission. Which of the two handle better and is more accurate?

tonelar
01-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Just so y'all know... Rumour has it that Steyr USA is announcing the re-intro of the AUGA3 at SHOT. The demise of Sabre Defense left them looking for someone to mfg their barrels and receivers domestically.

I am looking into getting an AXR TPD to go BB so I can run my A3 featureless. I got a kick from the opinions of guys who use airsoft as their benchmark on here. No one's claiming it's the end all, be all. However, you have the opinion of long time owners (some who actially have 2-3 of these) and operators on here about what a great rifle the AUG is and you're really thinking your high post count and "gamer" opinion is going to matter?

starsnuffer
01-11-2012, 7:12 AM
Is it going to say Steyr AUG on the receiver? Will this still be banned? Where's the content man!

-W

Jyruiz
01-11-2012, 7:24 AM
I've always wanted one. There the only gun that is both ugly and cool. I learned about the aug back in my counterstrike days.

Lol, I always picked that rifle as soon as I could when playing CS.

tonelar
01-11-2012, 9:12 AM
Is it going to say Steyr AUG on the receiver? Will this still be banned? Where's the content man!

-W

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/tonelar/guns/AUGA3SA.jpg

I can't speak for these newest ones, but my A3 says:
STEYR ARMS, INC.
AUG/A3 SA USA
MFG BY SABRE DEFENCE, IND, LLC
Nashville, TN S/N: 2USA XX7

Banned by name is:
Mfg: Steyr Daimler Puch
Mod: Steyr AUG SA

Just as the Colt AR15 is now legal in Cali because of a change in model name to M4; the A3 should be legal because it's model name is changed PLUS mfg is different as well as country of origin.

starsnuffer
01-11-2012, 9:20 AM
Awesome, TY. I had an original AUG (it's still in FL with my brother), would love to get one here. Never trusted the MSAR stuff.

-W

chead
01-11-2012, 9:23 AM

There is actually an off-list AUG from Steyr that's CA-legal, but there's only about 100 of them (I think) and they're probably mostly RAWs now.

Quickdraw Mcgraw
01-11-2012, 9:24 AM
I'll BITE....HOW MUCH??

chead
01-11-2012, 9:31 AM
I'll BITE....HOW MUCH??

The off-list Steyrs? I've never seen one for sale so that should give you some idea.

MSARs will be $1500 - $2000ish and only get more expensive.

The AugA3 would probably be somewhere north of $2000 if it were to make it here to CA.

yellowfin
01-11-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm wondering about their legality in NY. There's also a clone maker that took over from MSAR that's located in Pennsylvania. I forget the name.

chead
01-11-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm wondering about their legality in NY. There's also a clone maker that took over from MSAR that's located in Pennsylvania. I forget the name.

Ratworx? They were just distributing as far as I know.

tonelar
01-11-2012, 3:07 PM
I got mine from PJS for $1895. The offlist Steyr from before the A3 was the USR and it goes for about the same.
Hang on til summer, the used prices will come down a lot when Steyr USA starts delivering the A3 again.

Remember guys; you need 10rnd mags, a bullet button and a long flash hider or muzzle brake if you can't get a 20" barrel.

NorCalK9.com
01-11-2012, 7:20 PM

-W

+1million!

Outta Control
01-11-2012, 7:53 PM
...NO great world power military uses them (former yugoslavia did for some time- slovenia still does)...

A quick WiKi check shows about 30 countries currently uses AUG as their battle rifle. Saudi Arabia, Ireland, Australia, and Malaysia are the biggest users.

brando
01-11-2012, 8:40 PM
It's standard issue here in NZ, but it's slowly being replaced by the MWS and M4. I personally like the AUG and humped one for a week or so with the Austrian Gebirgsjager back in the 90s. It takes some getting used to, especially with the manual of arms so different than a conventional assault rifle, but once you do it's pretty effective. The model I used had the standard 3x optic and was pretty "eh" but the newer models fixed that problem.