PDA

View Full Version : decisions... decisions...

secret.asian.man
09-24-2011, 8:52 PM
hello everyone!

i have an AR-15 as do most of you. i want to upgrade the front of my rifle cosmetically. i have two options that i have in mind and i was wondering if there is a performance difference between them or is it just cost?

option #1- keep and reuse A frame sight $0, buy YHM Diamond 7" free-float quad rail $100, and buy troy Rear Back-Up sight $100.

option #2- buy YHM low-pro gas block $70, buy YHM Diamond 9" free-float quad rail $150, buy troy Front and Rear back-up sights $200.

oh and i was wondering. for those of you who have the Magpul MOE ($60-$70) and/or CTR ($90-$100) butt stock, whats the advantage over the other? i notice the QD hole on the CTR but is it worth the extra $30-$40?

thanks in advance for your input! :)

We can't answer the question without knowing the basic specs on your rifle.
Is it 16", 20", 24"? Is it a middy? carbine? What furniture do you already have?
What's your budget?

i've got a carbine length rifle with a 16" barrel, i have a cheap UTG Drop-in quad rail already that doesn't line up to the upper that well, as for the other accessories, i already know what i want and that i want them.

(all prices listed are not exact, some might be over estimated and some might be under estimated but are close.)

dascoyne
09-24-2011, 8:58 PM
Is it 16", 20", 24"? Is it a middy? carbine? What furniture do you already have?
What's your budget?

Dreaded Claymore
09-24-2011, 8:58 PM
I'm assuming you have a carbine-length gas system. The standard triangle gas block/front sight base is just fine, and besides, it lets you mount a bayonet (most people don't care about bayonets, but I do). This way is cheaper, and won't make any difference with respect to performance, and fixed sights are better than flip-up ones if you're using iron sights.

tomd1584
09-24-2011, 9:00 PM
Option C:

Cut down your existing FSB into a low-pro gasblock, get a Centurion Arms C4 10" rail, and Troy front/rear sights.

IMO, the CTR is not worth the additional monies over the MOE. If i could do it over again, i'd save the money and buy something else (PMAGS and Ammo).

the whole obsession over "friction lock" is kinda silly. Kinda the same as 'play' between upper and lower. If you're shooting the thing, you kinda forget about the little stuff.

tomd1584
09-24-2011, 9:01 PM
What's your budget?

well, we kinda already know its a carbine lengthed system, as his option #1 says keep the FSB and get a 7" rail.

Noah3683
09-24-2011, 9:18 PM
Option C:

Cut down your existing FSB into a low-pro gasblock, get a Centurion Arms C4 10" rail, and Troy front/rear sights.

IMO, the CTR is not worth the additional monies over the MOE. If i could do it over again, i'd save the money and buy something else (PMAGS and Ammo).

the whole obsession over "friction lock" is kinda silly. Kinda the same as 'play' between upper and lower. If you're shooting the thing, you kinda forget about the little stuff.

Winner

dieselpower
09-24-2011, 9:39 PM
hello everyone!

i have an AR-15 as do most of you. i want to upgrade the front of my rifle cosmetically. i have two options that i have in mind and i was wondering if there is a performance difference between them or is it just cost? Yes to both

option #1- keep and reuse A frame sight $0, buy YHM Diamond 7" free-float quad rail $100, and buy troy Rear Back-Up sight $100. If you have the tools to remove and replace the FSB (A Frame), which means you have a non-permanent muzzel device since both the FSB and Handguard cap must slide off the front along with installing the YHM barrel nut. So add the cost of the barrel nut wrench, a new washer for the muzzel device and I suggest new pins for the FSB install. You can re-use gas tube pin if you remove it that way. I would think you have a pin punch, a hammer and a vise. Then its the cheapest and most secure way to mount the FSB.

option #2- buy YHM low-pro gas block $70, buy YHM Diamond 9" free-float quad rail $150, buy troy Front and Rear back-up sights $200. You still need the tools. You can also file down your FSB into a Low profile gas block (as was mentioned above). It will still need to be removed to install the YHM barrel nut and remove the old barrel nut.

oh and i was wondering. for those of you who have the Magpul MOE ($60-$70) and/or CTR ($90-$100) butt stock, whats the advantage over the other? i notice the QD hole on the CTR but is it worth the extra $30-$40?

thanks in advance for your input! :)

i've got a carbine length rifle with a 16" barrel, i have a cheap UTG Drop-in quad rail already that doesn't line up to the upper that well, as for the other accessories, i already know what i want and that i want them.

(all prices listed are not exact, some might be over estimated and some might be under estimated but are close.)

What "look" are you going for? Post a pic of what you want out of this modification.

secret.asian.man
09-24-2011, 9:40 PM
Option C:

that's a pricey quad-rail, why do you suggest Centurion Arms over YHM?

Noah3683
09-24-2011, 9:52 PM
Its much narrower and lighter. It is the closest thing comparable to daniel defense without having to remove the factory barrel nut. You get what you pay for

secret.asian.man
09-24-2011, 9:54 PM
What "look" are you going for? Post a pic of what you want out of this modification.

well i already started this by purchasing a DPMS Miculek break :D

now i want my top rail to butt up against the upper receiver like this http://www.itstactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/DIY-AR-15-Build-Barrel-and-Free-Float-Rail-System-Install-Main.jpg

i was wondering if it was worth the money to go all out and get a free float, 7", 9" or 10" rail, getting just the rear or both sights will be determined on the length of rail i get, and needing a gas block will be determined on the length of rail also.

Noah3683
09-24-2011, 9:54 PM
You can get it from weaponoutfitters.com with a calguns discount

secret.asian.man
09-24-2011, 9:58 PM
I'm assuming you have a carbine-length gas system. The standard triangle gas block/front sight base is just fine, and besides, it lets you mount a bayonet (most people don't care about bayonets, but I do). This way is cheaper, and won't make any difference with respect to performance, and fixed sights are better than flip-up ones if you're using iron sights.

i do like that idea of still being able to mount a bayonet. i'd still need to go get one though. (:

secret.asian.man
09-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Its much narrower and lighter. It is the closest thing comparable to daniel defense without having to remove the factory barrel nut. You get what you pay for

how does clamping on to the barrel nut compare to screwing on to the barrel nut?

oh and why do you suggest 10" vs. 9"?

Noah3683
09-24-2011, 10:21 PM
having a dedicated barrel nut is overall preferred but trust me the Troy (cheaper) and Centurion aren't going to budge even under severe use. The 9" wouldn't fully cover the FSP if you filed it down. 10" ensures the gas block is covered no matter what. For what it's worth the troy is also lighter than YHM, but the centurion is the best of the clamp on rails

secret.asian.man
09-24-2011, 10:36 PM
having a dedicated barrel nut is overall preferred but trust me the Troy (cheaper) and Centurion aren't going to budge even under severe use. The 9" wouldn't fully cover the FSP if you filed it down. 10" ensures the gas block is covered no matter what. For what it's worth the troy is also lighter than YHM, but the centurion is the best of the clamp on rails

so you're saying 1 being the best,

1- Centurion
2- Troy
3- YHM

if i were to go with a dedicated barrel nut, which troy would you recommend?

HK Dave
09-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Secret Asian Man... does the name ALLiED mean anything to you?

secret.asian.man
09-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Secret Asian Man... does the name ALLiED mean anything to you?

nope, why whats up? lol

tomd1584
09-24-2011, 11:36 PM
so you're saying 1 being the best,

1- Centurion
2- Troy
3- YHM

if i were to go with a dedicated barrel nut, which troy would you recommend?

If you were going to go with a rail with it's own dedicated barrel nut, i'd go with the Daniel Defense LITE.

secret.asian.man
09-24-2011, 11:39 PM
If you were going to go with a rail with it's own dedicated barrel nut, i'd go with the Daniel Defense LITE.

i don't plan on spending that much on a rail. DD seems great but they cost way too much.

dieselpower
09-25-2011, 9:37 AM
Well you want a monolithic upper, sell your upper and buy a ArmaLite SPR Mod 1 kit...

ArmaLite SPR Mod 1 (http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=15003063&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=b50b2b4a-ef64-4d79-b173-50c7880935e0)

CalGuns member Louscamaro91's thread has pics of his (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=480952)

Sell off all the parts of your current upper you do not need. Then use those funds to help defer the cost of the new monolithic upper.

Noah3683
09-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Troy TRX standard comes with it's own barrel nut. They are about $175

gotsig
09-25-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm going with this:https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/troy-11-alpha-battlerail-7480.html
Free float rail with built in sight. Waiting for some reviews to come in.

osis32
09-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Depends if you wanna brag about your awesome rail on the internet and intend to hump your rifle all the time in which case weight matters. There our nothing wrong with yhm rails they are priced right and give you free float accuracy. The only down side is the weight and they are wide. It all depends on your budget and if you're willing to sacrifice some slight benefits for half the price of these other rails.

secret.asian.man
09-25-2011, 1:04 PM
Well you want a monolithic upper, sell your upper and buy a ArmaLite SPR Mod 1 kit...

ArmaLite SPR Mod 1 (http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=15003063&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=b50b2b4a-ef64-4d79-b173-50c7880935e0)

CalGuns member Louscamaro91's thread has pics of his (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=480952)

Sell off all the parts of your current upper you do not need. Then use those funds to help defer the cost of the new monolithic upper.

ooh! that's awesome! what length would that be?

secret.asian.man
09-25-2011, 1:10 PM
I'm going with this:https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/troy-11-alpha-battlerail-7480.html
Free float rail with built in sight. Waiting for some reviews to come in.

yeah i saw the review for it on YouTube from GunWebsites (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3fLbSSZaMo) this morning.

tomd1584
09-25-2011, 1:52 PM
ooh! that's awesome! what length would that be?

looks right around 7"-9".

secret.asian.man
09-25-2011, 1:55 PM
damn, the AR-15 is like a honda civic, the aftermarket options and accessories are endless.