View Full Version : Should I get the 3" or 4" Springfield XD?

09-24-2011, 5:25 PM
My only other 9mm pistol is a ruger sr9c, fwiw.

The ruger is my first pistol, and I'm fairly awful with it but improving. I like the size of it for portability/concealability in case I move to a ccw state or hunting, etc.

I put my money down on a springfield xd on sale at turners and they said I could get either size. I like the size of the 3", but wonder how snappy it is and if it hurts to fire. My sr9c is comfortable if that's any help.

The 4" version is super comfortable, but its just kinda big to my eyes. I guess its for the range/home/hunting? I can see why that might be useful.

I have a few other concealable .22 pistols fwiw.

Any thoughts? The springfield was kinda an impulse buy honestly and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

Thank you gentlemen!

09-24-2011, 5:29 PM
I vote with the 4 inch. Its the perfect size, little recoil, and shoots great. The stock sights suck, so be sure to upgrade them. Good luck!

09-24-2011, 5:33 PM
anything under 4" is annoying unless its a nightstand gun

09-24-2011, 5:49 PM
If you near a Turners, the 4" 9mm (and .40, I think) is currently on sale this week for $399 plus you get a mail in thing for three extra mags. Hard to beat that deal on a new one.

09-24-2011, 5:59 PM
i have had my LTC for over 20yrs. and the subcompacts [3"] are a lot nicer to carry than larger ones i have an xd 40 3" shoots great and off a rest i can hit 12" steel at 100yrds 4out of 10 shots, and i believe a full size is a better nightstand gun than a subcompact because it gives you a full size grip wich is great to grab when you just wake up.

09-24-2011, 6:05 PM
If you plan on conceal carry then you want the three. If home defense / range gun then a 4" will out shoot a 3".

09-24-2011, 6:16 PM
I have plenty of 4"-5" handguns. I picked up the XD in 3" I don't own any subcompacts. Next I need a 6" 1911 longslide.

09-24-2011, 6:18 PM
anything under 4" is annoying unless its a nightstand gun

Concealed carry...

09-24-2011, 7:12 PM
Concealed carry...

I live in LA County so CCW is never an option..but yes. CCW

09-24-2011, 10:11 PM
The 3" is a cut down 4" XD. It feels really blocky and bulky to me. Not at all a thin gun. I've got one in 3", 4" and 5". I'm just as accurate with the 3" as with the others. It tends to jam on me, but I think that is more my problem then the gun's (the size makes it too easy for me to limp wrist). Out of all 3, my favorite by far is the 4".

09-24-2011, 10:15 PM
I live in LA County so CCW is never an option..but yes. CCW

Never thought I would be able to brag about living in Sacramento County. But neiner. neiner, neiner...kidding. I feel your pain brother. It's a new thing for us that our Sheriff actually issues them now. All my guns are full size...I need some compact ones before I can apply for it, since here in California they list your actual guns that you are authorized to carry (own and qualified on) on the permit itself. Adding a gun to it is not a simple thing. So you need to own the guns first.

I do have my non-resident Utah CCW. Valid in 30 states last I checked. Used it on my travels. You can use it with ANY concealable gun. They don't list them on the permit like they do here in CA.

09-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Congrats to your new Sheriff. :66:
Yea, L.A. is @$$ backwards.
I was thinking of getting my Utah/Florida CCW just to have.

What are you thinking of getting for your CCW?

09-24-2011, 10:35 PM
4" for me. There are better options for concealed carry pistols.

If you near a Turners, the 4" 9mm (and .40, I think) is currently on sale this week for $399 plus you get a mail in thing for three extra mags. Hard to beat that deal on a new one.

09-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks fellas!

I jumped on that Springfield deal and got the set with the holster and mag case for $399.

The manager is cool and said if i change my mind i can apply the $ to a different gun or the 3" at sale price.

I was thinking its an unnecessary extravagance to get another 9mm, until I went to the range today. My Ruger SR9c started acting up, not going all the way into battery and light strikes on the primer.

I was going to fix it myself till I realized I have a warranty. If its not the ammo then I think the springs need changed, or at least the rrecoil springs.

Anyhow moral to the story is it wouldn't suck to have another 9mm just in case the other craps out or is at the shop.

Thanks for all the info. That 4" feels so nice. I think y'all convinced me to stick with it!

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

09-25-2011, 9:01 AM
I just posted this on another thread this morning. Note that I've never CCWed, these are just my impressions after holding the guns in the store:

...it seems that with the mag extension the grip of the XD40 sub-compact is the same size as the grip on the standard XD40 so the only difference is an inch of barrel. Since the barrel would be down my pants anyway it doesn't seem like concealment would be any different between the standard and the sub-compact.

So I would say if you're going to use the extended mag you might as well just get the full size. If you're going to use the smaller mag then there seems to be a real advantage to CCW.

Dark Mod
09-25-2011, 9:08 AM
4" is where its at, unless your 90 years old or have arthritis i wouldnt worry about recoil from any autoloading handgun

09-25-2011, 9:54 PM
get the 4 inch unless you plan to CCW it.

09-25-2011, 10:22 PM
It's entirely possible to CCW the 4". I know someone who does with a Crossbreed. No print, cant see it in his pants when his shirt is tucked.

He occasionally gets a bit of wear on his pants where the holster hits his pants above his rear pocket, but you'd get that with the 3" too.